• RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thats massive... 50... good god man
Thanks Simon,
Sounds like a great day, brother!

Also, I occasionally take a razor blade and trim my calluses off then polish smooth with a pumice stone. Goes a long way towards keeping them from ripping off during a pull or carry, which can totally derail training.
Yeah I do at your suggestion from earlier, but I may have gone to long in between. On top of that the DB handles on the IronMaster DB are pretty thick and the knurling is deep so that makes it even worse. Not like gripping a regular barbell.
Do you do this before or after your mani/pedi?

jokes bro ;)
Why jokes, I love a mani/pedi! Shoot the ladies have that stuff on lock and we are to dumb to realize they are getting spoiled! Mani - relaxation, that comes with a nice massage from the elbows down to the individual fingers... a pedi is even better! You sit in a high quality body massage chair, get to soak your feet in a hot tub while you are being massaged and waiting. Then you continue to get that massage while you are hand massages from the knees down to the individual toes. You get an our of pampering, and major brownie points with the wife. I call that a win win!!!!

Was pretty funny though.
My boyfriend likes me to have buttery smooth manpaws
Feels better when you spank me that way...

UHM WAIT... Forget I ever said that...

Things are going well for you Congratulations!!
Yes Sir, had a few weeks I just felt weak but things seem to be coming back together for me.
Good work kleen!
Thanks Mike!

So last night I crushed my workout! Had another day where strength and performance seemed to have returned. Remember last week when I went to do this I ended up stopping my workout after the first exercise because it simply crushed me. Well NONE OF THAT HAPPENED LAST NIGHT!!!!

Warm Up - 10 minutes calisthenics

Sand Bag Shouldering for time - 100lb sand bag x 30 reps, 15 on each shoulder done alternating for time. Total Time 1:08.9 seconds!!!!!!!!
- HELL YES! Last week I pushed so hard and it took me over 4.5 minutes to get the job done. I must have just been really worn down or borderline ill or something last week.

Superset 1
Bent Over Rows - OHG 185x15, 185x15, UHG 205x10, 205x10
DB Bench Press - Elbows Out 75x15, 75x15 Elbows in and neutral grip 75x10, 75x10
- Whew boy those last 2 rounds for both of these were brutal, that sand bad shouldering took a lot out of my back, then I did the close grip slower and with an extended ROM so they were brutal too!

Superset 2 - 5 rounds - minimal rest
100 Meter Sprint - 16.3, 14.3, 14.8, 13.8, 13.3 -
Dead Hang Pull Ups - 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

My pants started falling down on the first sprint, and I had to hold them with one hand. LOL After the second sprint something in my knee tweaked a tiny bit. It didn;t hurt while running but right after for just a bit it did. So 3rd set was a little slower to feel it out. I hit a good run on my last set at 13.3 seconds. That is over 3 seconds faster than my last timed 100m when I first started sprinting again. I will take that improvement all day every day!!!!!

Superset 3 - 3 rounds no rest
Band Pull Aparts - half over and half underhand - 40, 30, 20
- doing 40 in the first set changed the game for the following sets. Hard to believe how much harder 30 and 20 reps became after that.
DB Tate Press - 50x10, 50x10, 50x10 - I barely got that final rep!!!! Like when I completed it at the top for the lock out my arms basically gave out. Triceps were thrashed!!!

Cool Down 10 minutes foam rolling and mobility work

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Awesome work as always Chris!! Congrats on the PR's and the certification!!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thanks Kat!

clown007

clown007

Awards
Going to try the Sandbag shouldering tomorrow. Unfortunately I only have a 50lbs bag so maybe I'll double the total and use that as a finisher.

Good job buddy!!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Going to try the Sandbag shouldering tomorrow. Unfortunately I only have a 50lbs bag so maybe I'll double the total and use that as a finisher.

Good job buddy!!
Awesome, it is beastly! Yeah go for 60 and make sure the sand bag touches the ground EVERY rep. You don't have to stop down there but make sure it touches. You can also do that with a heavy punching bag if you want something heavier and have one around. The length of it would make for a nice challenge too.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Wow it has been a minute since I have had time to update in here. I won't update everything from the workout over the weekend. I will just say I hit a new PR on 3 second pause squats @ 425x1 with a 3 second pause!!!! That is something I have never done or even tried before, I was pretty shocked how well 405 came up so I went for an extra attempt. Up until now I think the most I ever did on pause squats was 365.

Okay so last night I hit up this "little" workout here.

10 Minute Warm Up

SuperSet 1 - No rest!
Single Arm DB Clean & Press (reps are per side) - 50x5, 60x4, 70x3, 75x2, 75x1
Band Pull Aparts - (half pronated and half supinated) 20, 20, 20, 20, 20
- these were done slow under control with 1 second pause at peak contraction

Super Set 2 - 1 minute rest
Power Clean 135x1, 155x1, 185x1, 225x1, 225x1
Hang Clean 135x1, 155x1, 185x1, 225x1, 225xf
- These were done as two continuous reps not as separate sets. So 1 Powerclean drop it into a hang and pop back up into a clean is the coupling. I couldn't get the hang clean on the last set.

Superset 3 - No rest!
Sprinter Step Ups (reps per leg) 5, 5, 5 - I didn't have a step up box so I took a knee and then jumped as high as I could and landed on the jumping leg, and lowered back down to my knee for each rep.
DB Rows - 75x10, 10, 10 Talk about being surprised how much this superset winded me. Those jumps are no joke then to go right into bent over rows... GASPING FOR AIR!

Complex - 3 rounds no rest!
DB Hammer Curls 35x12, 35x12, 35x12
Rear Delt Flys - 15x12, 15x12, 10x12
JM Press - 135x12, 135x12, 135x12
- Holy crap talk about a major pump! My entire upper body was just blown out, I looked massive. Shoulders were so full and round, back thick, arms full, even my pecs had a pump from the JM Presses! Was one of those workouts you finish up feeling like a bad ass!!!!

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Keep squatting those small cars! SMHS. Nice Paused Squat PR, you beast!

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice PR Chris! Followed by a brutal session.. bet the heart was pounding.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Keep squatting those small cars! SMHS. Nice Paused Squat PR, you beast!
Thanks Mark! Hope to move up to a midsize sooner or later!!!
Nice PR Chris! Followed by a brutal session.. bet the heart was pounding.
Thanks Simon! Yes my heart was pounding. I am feeling it a little in my brachialis today between all the cleans and then hammer curls I beat the crap out of them!

So I had to come up with a new name for the coaching and training business and decided on "Aesthetic Performance" I think it honors both my performance based workout style and intent to train athletes as well as my love of the bodybuilding / physique based lifestyle.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
"Aesthetic Performance"

I like it!

turff49

turff49

Awards
Always impressed with what you put together for a workout! Congrats on that HUGE PR!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
"Aesthetic Performance"

I like it!
Thanks, it just struck me and luckily there isn't too many people using it for anything.
Always impressed with what you put together for a workout! Congrats on that HUGE PR!
Thanks Brian! Tonight the big test is timing this complex for 5 rounds AFAP Burpees X5, Pull Ups X5, Bodyweight hex bar deads x5.
Deads superset with burpees is just brutality... add in pull ups to make the back even more tired and I am going to be huffing like a freight train.

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
Aw thanks Sweet Tits!

It was pretty brutal!

Right now I am following online coaching from Zach Even-esh. I pay $15 a month for his programming from Trainheroic.com I think it is $20 now but I got in early. I am going to change it up now though because i need to start focusing more on the big 3 to train for a powerlifting meet. Just something I decided I wanted to do. I will be changing it up then though. I just passed my Underground Strength Coach Certification which is Zach's system. So I will be putting some of his methods along with my own together.

Mostly though, going with what I learned here. The basic idea is to hit either a full body, or full body with a push pull focus on my workouts. Sometimes there is more push or pull focus but all workouts involve the whole body in some aspect. We focus on the 5 basic movement patterns every workout. Squat/hinge, press, pull, rotation / stability. Typically on each of the 3 workout days I go heavier for strength on either a push, pull, or squat/hinge movement, always have an explosive component of some sort. Lets say for upper body push I might design a week to look like this
Monday - Bench 5,5,3,3,3, Wednesday - plyo push ups 5 sets of 3, Wednesday - DB Incline Bench 12,10,8

So each aspect gets a day of focus. On a mini-cycle where I want to work harder on pushing I might also do a second push exercise with higher reps, something like push ups, or ring pushup sub max x 3 sets on one of the days, most likely the one with the 5 sets of 3 plyo. Other than that you always want some sort of energy training. Like a circuit, or some carries or sled work. Something for strength endurance / work capacity.

Well my Hematocrit got down pretty low when I was doing it every 2 weeks trying to get to my target of 32. However when I got down to 37 they said they couldn't use my blood so I waited for 8 weeks to see how much it would climb in that 8 weeks it went from probably 34-35 after that draw up to 48 in 8 weeks. So I think I will try to schedule every 4 weeks to keep me in the 38-42 range. Since my doc prescribed it, I can go anytime I am above 32 but I see no reason to go that low if they can't use my blood to help others if 37 or below.

Why can't you?

Sorry I haven't updated much the last week. I was busy studying and handling other things.

WooHoo!!!! I passed my Strength Coach certification!
View attachment 129272

Rather than reflect on last weeks training, since I don't have tons of time I am just going to say I am excited for training tonight. I will basically be doing almost the same workout as listed for last Tuesday. Going to go heavy on Sumo Deads and do a lot of upper body, and work capacity stuff. I feel like I will do much better this week on the weights.
Congrats on the certification!

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
Amen to that! I am trying to figure out which Powerlifting federation and meet I want to do this year and start changing up my training somewhat to really focus on the big 3 lifts a little more directly.

Any of the PL guys in here have any suggestions for organizations? I want to do RAW, not suited up.
100% Raw Powerlifting Federation!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
Being 100% Raw is that no belt, no sleeves either, or just no wraps or suits?
http://rawpowerlifting.com

Raw: Non-supportive one-piece (singlet) lifting suit, 24” wrist wraps (cannot use thumb loop) and a
4” wide powerlifting belt allowed. (No Velcro). Knee high socks must be worn in deadlift.

WEIGHT CLASSES:
(Youth classes for state records only: 66, 77, 88, 99)
Women: 97, 105, 114, 123, 132, 148, 165, 181, 198, 198+
Men: 105, 114, 123, 132, 148, 165, 181, 198, 220, 242, 275, 308, SHW

DIVISIONS:
Open
Youth: 11 & Under
Teen: Teen 12-13, Teen 14-15, Teen 16-17, Teen 18-19
Junior: 20 - 24
Submaster: 35 - 39
Master: 40- 44, 45- 49, 50- 54, 55- 59, 60- 64, 65 - 69, 70-74, 75-79...

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Cool, only issue I see with that federation is that I have used plenty of prohormones and DS, as well as being on TRT with a relatively high dose. I imagine I wouldn't qualify with it being a natural federation. I mean I could lie I am sure and there are probably plenty who do. Just wouldn't sit right with me though.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Cool, only issue I see with that federation is that I have used plenty of prohormones and DS, as well as being on TRT with a relatively high dose. I imagine I wouldn't qualify with it being a natural federation. I mean I could lie I am sure and there are probably plenty who do. Just wouldn't sit right with me though.
That's my take w USAPL and such. Like just because I haven't used anytime recently doesn't mean I'm natty now lol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That's my take w USAPL and such. Like just because I haven't used anytime recently doesn't mean I'm natty now lol
Yeah, I don't have problems with competing in the natural contests that have limitations on them like say you haven't done gear in X amount of years then you can compete but otherwise no dice. Then if I have been off long enough I am not breaking the rules. For now though I am stuck in the untested category. Of course I am sure I will make full use of that by running a PH or DS into the meet.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I believe you also have to lift Commando

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I believe you also have to lift Commando
It is a new lifting strategy, instead of smelling salts before the lift they light and blow out a match then poke you in the scrotum with the hot end right when you lift. People have been increasing their squat and deadlift by 50 lbs in one rep! Not so great for bench apparently though....

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm so behind! Congrats, Kleen! :) Excited for your meet, too!

turff49

turff49

Awards
And the spotter is Commando too but can only give "pointer"...

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
If you've been off them for a bit, you'll be fine if they test you. There are many other federations out there that have multiple categories for people who have or still use peds and such. They have amateur and pro levels, as well as RAW. You compete according to where you fit. Amateur would be perfect unless your putting up large numbers which if you hit their minimums they'll bump you accordingly.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Some Feds will test you UNLESS you voluntarily compete in the Pro division. As in if you wanna compete Amateur you have to test, but it's assumed if you're going pro it's run what ya brung.

I'd just check powerlifting watch and the website for any feds you're interested in to see what's upcoming around you.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
USPA is a nice federation. Pretty new and gaining momentum. Tight judging, well run meets. Only recently announced a tested division, not sure what it's called or when it will be implemented.

I like feds that don't place emphasis on who is competing how. We're all out here trying to move big weight. What gear you wear, what gear you put into yourself, we're all there for the same reason. Celebrate that there is a community of like minded people getting together to have fun and challenge themselves, and let the social media twerps place great emphasis on truly minor differences.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I haven't competed, but when I do I'll probably just go to powerliftingmeets.com and find something close. lol

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
The reason I suggested those federations is because I initially found them under powerliftingwatch.com and joined them since they're in the area I was living and moved to. Once you join a federation you find they pretty much have the same comps in the same area about the same time of year. Yes, the testing is possible and mostly when you break a record. Otherwise, mostly random. I've competed 13 times in a three year period. I'm familiar with what goes on with the ones around me. No, I've never used anything outside of Protein/Creatine but know others who have gone beyond and were fine competing in those federations. I also hold records in the ones ive competed in, in two different states. Ive lived in Pa to Va back to Pa. They go according to your residence at the time. I'm not steering anyone wrong just based off my experiences.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If you've been off them for a bit, you'll be fine if they test you. There are many other federations out there that have multiple categories for people who have or still use peds and such. They have amateur and pro levels, as well as RAW. You compete according to where you fit. Amateur would be perfect unless your putting up large numbers which if you hit their minimums they'll bump you accordingly.
I am guessing meet numbers a little lower than gym numbers so 525 deads bench 325 squat 455 sounds pretty probable.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I have benched 365, pulled 555 and squatted 485 in the gym recently though.

turff49

turff49

Awards
Pretty good numbers there Chris!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Huge numbers, Chris.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Be proud of those lifts Chris! Wow!!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Provided you are squatting to depth in training, you can expect to squat every bit as much at the meet. Usually more, as you will be fresh, full of adrenaline, and peaking your training (and drugs, in your case). Assuming the different equipment and nerves don't throw you off.

Bench, you will be fatigued from a max squat and be forced to do it to tighter standards and commands, so you're gonna bench less than a fresh touch n go on a great day in the gym.

Deadlift...depends. If it's a fast meet you're gonna be very fatigued and it's just a means to a total. On the other hand...drugs and arousal can be huge for lifters, and when you've had a meal since squat and everyone is screaming in your ears and slapping your back you can really get something powerful going.

If depth and other comp standards are used for those numbers, you can expect a total similar to gym total. If you miss 2-3 attempts it's gonna be a lot less usually.

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
I think you'll fit in Amateur. Pro status is a 1600 Total. Great #'s, you'll do well.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Happy Birthday, Chris.

clown007

clown007

Awards
Happy Birthday big guy!!

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Happy day brother!!

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Happy birthday! :)

turff49

turff49

Awards
Hope you enjoyed today! Tomorrow you will be...

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Pretty good numbers there Chris!
I'd say.. strong as an ox
Huge numbers, Chris.
Be proud of those lifts Chris! Wow!!
Thanks Guys! I have been very pleased with where my strength has gone with just a little more direct training focus.
Provided you are squatting to depth in training, you can expect to squat every bit as much at the meet. Usually more, as you will be fresh, full of adrenaline, and peaking your training (and drugs, in your case). Assuming the different equipment and nerves don't throw you off.

Bench, you will be fatigued from a max squat and be forced to do it to tighter standards and commands, so you're gonna bench less than a fresh touch n go on a great day in the gym.

Deadlift...depends. If it's a fast meet you're gonna be very fatigued and it's just a means to a total. On the other hand...drugs and arousal can be huge for lifters, and when you've had a meal since squat and everyone is screaming in your ears and slapping your back you can really get something powerful going.

If depth and other comp standards are used for those numbers, you can expect a total similar to gym total. If you miss 2-3 attempts it's gonna be a lot less usually.
For the most part I am pretty much hamstrings on calves or an inch above that. Everyone tells me I am "in the bucket" on my squats. However not lifting with PL guys either. I expect a little less on the bench like you said. Not sure how long of a pause I will have to hold. I don't ever bounce the weight off my chest though. I at least have a small pause at my chest but only for about a second. Nothing lengthy.

I think you'll fit in Amateur. Pro status is a 1600 Total. Great #'s, you'll do well.
Yeah that is beast numbers right there. Hell if I work up to a 1500 over time I will be extremely happy.
Happy Birthday, Chris.
Happy Birthday big guy!!
Happy day brother!!
Happy birthday! :)
Hope you enjoyed today! Tomorrow you will be...
Thanks everyone! I had a great birthday. I was lazy all day except for my Birthday Celebration Workout. I stayed in bed and watched Stand-up comedy on Netflix for a good while then went to the garage and hit some weights before going to Texas Land an Cattle and crushing a pound of smoked sirloin, sweet potato, complimentary fudge brownie then went home and had cake. Opened up my presents and then nestled up to the wife for a good nights sleep.

My Birthday Celebration Workout 43 reps of the big movements at my body weight which is 215, done with minimal rest to finish AFAP.

ATG Squat 215x11, 11, 11, 10 = 43 reps - Went to maximum depth on each rep

Superset 1 - Dead Lifts add Bench in Every other set
Dead lift - 215x6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5 = 43 reps
Bench Press 215x8, 10, 10, 10, 5 = 43 reps

Super Set 2
HEX bar dead lifts - 215x8, 10, 10, 15 = 43 reps
Dips 12, 11, 10, 10 = 43 reps

Standing Back extensions - 45 x 13, 10, 10, 10 = 43 reps

This was a rough one done with minimal rest to test my metal courtesy of Zach Evenesh and his birthday workout! I was sweating, huffing & puffing with this bad boy... It may not look insane but it was a lot of work especially at such a quick pace.

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Holy Crap all those Deads!! Nice work man. Sounds like an awesome way to spend your birthday too.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Holy Crap all those Deads!! Nice work man. Sounds like an awesome way to spend your birthday too.
WOW, I just totaled up the volume here and almost hit 50,000 lbs volume with 48,160 lbs. Ridiculous!

turff49

turff49

Awards
So, you need to work on your volume. Got it. Lol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So, you need to work on your volume. Got it. Lol
My work capacity is obviously lacking. :) Tonight I go home and start this weeks workouts. That one was an extra credit Birthday Bonus lift. On tap for tonight the Power Clean to Hang Clean Super set. I was told to drop the weight some this time and go for more speed so that is the plan! I figure I will do them in the 165-185lb range and just try to move as fast as possible. When I go heavier I tend to forget to drop under the weight as much as I should so this will be good for practicing my form.

I am going to go out to the parking garage here in a little bit and get some cardio activity in. I might stop every floor and do either 20 push ups or 20 squats just to get my numbers up there. Goal is to hit 100 squats, 100 push ups and 25 pull ups at a minimum on non training days. Today is a training day but will still try to at least get in the squats and push ups anyway.

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
HBD Kleen

clown007

clown007

Awards
That is a great birthday workout!! I think I will give that one a swing birthday or no birthday.

What are standing back extensions?
There is a ton of posterior chain work here for sure!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That is a great birthday workout!! I think I will give that one a swing birthday or no birthday.

What are standing back extensions?
There is a ton of posterior chain work here for sure!
Basically hugging a 45lb plate and bending all the way over like a SLDL and coming back up to just short of vertical to keep the tension on it. Was the only thing I could sub in for a hyper-extension. I guess like a weighted toe touch without touching the toes. Yeah my lower back was letting me know about all that posterior chain work too. At least all of the hinge work starts from the hardest with Squats to easiest with Hex bar deads, so you don't totally break down by the end of the workout.

If you have the ability and equipment the Bench Press is supposed to be a weighted push up with your age added to your body weight for the push ups but I didn't have a way to secure that much weight and be able to do a push up so I went with bench pressing my weight. I feel like it was probably harder than the push ups would have been. Also the standing back extensions are to replace hypers which I don't have one of those machines so I did the standing version instead.