Kleen - Project 50: Under Construction

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I do the same thing with my boy, I WANT him to squat but he is a bit intimidated by it so we CRUSH leg press and other machines. his legs are actually BIGGER than mine and he's 13. he was repping out almost 400lbs the other day on the leg press and when he finished (I kept adding weight and not telling him) I said hey see that huge guy next to you? you're doing more weight, lol.

I bet it feels really good to see your kid succeeding in a potential career field, like you know they can take care of themselves. I hadn't even pondered that thought until you just posted it but I think in the back of my head it is a thing that bites at me, hoping I set my boy up well enough that he can spread his wings when I boot him from the nest.

IN regards to the jump rope, if you want I can send you one.
When I owned my gym I had a bunch of small items (wrist wraps, jump ropes, hats, etc etc) made that I sold retail as supplemental income. when I owned the gym I asked to keep as much of it as possible because the brand was special to me and my wife and not related to the gym. I think I still have like 50+ jump ropes and I'd be happy to give you one for free. They're not as good as the $60+ RX ropes, but better than some of the cheapos out there.

I just have to remember to grab one from my storage when i get home and my memory is worse than my squats lol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I do the same thing with my boy, I WANT him to squat but he is a bit intimidated by it so we CRUSH leg press and other machines. his legs are actually BIGGER than mine and he's 13. he was repping out almost 400lbs the other day on the leg press and when he finished (I kept adding weight and not telling him) I said hey see that huge guy next to you? you're doing more weight, lol.

I bet it feels really good to see your kid succeeding in a potential career field, like you know they can take care of themselves. I hadn't even pondered that thought until you just posted it but I think in the back of my head it is a thing that bites at me, hoping I set my boy up well enough that he can spread his wings when I boot him from the nest.

IN regards to the jump rope, if you want I can send you one.
When I owned my gym I had a bunch of small items (wrist wraps, jump ropes, hats, etc etc) made that I sold retail as supplemental income. when I owned the gym I asked to keep as much of it as possible because the brand was special to me and my wife and not related to the gym. I think I still have like 50+ jump ropes and I'd be happy to give you one for free. They're not as good as the $60+ RX ropes, but better than some of the cheapos out there.

I just have to remember to grab one from my storage when i get home and my memory is worse than my squats lol
That would be awesome man! Also the good thing there is your squats are getting much better so maybe your memory will do the same!!!! I will PM you my addy.

Yeah it is great hearing they are doing really well in class. I just hope that they push hard to do well in the industry. It is one of those you can make very little or you can make really good money type of situations. We had to have a serious discussion when they chose it because I really needed to make it clear that they were picking a career that had a very low entry level and lazy people often get stuck at SuperCuts or worse. Go getters who push for clientele and a good location can do really well and live comfortably but you will have to work hard. I always told them we would figure out college no matter what if they wanted to go. However they chose this path, and I respect it. Just have to have a little faith they will make the best of it. :)

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
We had to have a serious discussion when they chose it because I really needed to make it clear that they were picking a career that had a very low entry level and lazy people often get stuck at SuperCuts or worse.
dude sports clips is where its at. for like $35 I get a double scalp massage and a hot towel. I don't know what the hot towel is supposed to do but the scalp massage isn't bad 😅

i actually, as a dude with a very simple haircut, really like the place but they can't retain talent. every couple months it's a completely new staff.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, and I imagine if you can afford a $35 haircut as a man you can afford a reasonable tip too! They are going to specialize in color and perms so they will be doing some expensive work. Women have no issue dropping 150-300 on their hair. It amazes me how expensive it is and it isn't even really limited to high end areas that they are paying those prices.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
oh man my wife drives to Seattle every 4-6 weeks for her hair, it's about an hour from where we live but she's been going to the same guy for like 30 years. those prices you listed are 100% accurate lol.

yes I would be concerned about her driving an hour to see a guy every month but I know him and I know that she is not his type lol. I went in a few times and got my hair cut by him as well but for me it's not worth the drive and the extra $10. cool guy, but I just don't need fancy. in my area it's either a $15 buzz cut by a barber or a sports clips for dudes.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
oh man my wife drives to Seattle every 4-6 weeks for her hair, it's about an hour from where we live but she's been going to the same guy for like 30 years. those prices you listed are 100% accurate lol.

yes I would be concerned about her driving an hour to see a guy every month but I know him and I know that she is not his type lol. I went in a few times and got my hair cut by him as well but for me it's not worth the drive and the extra $10. cool guy, but I just don't need fancy. in my area it's either a $15 buzz cut by a barber or a sports clips for dudes.
Yep, I like being on the Schick Extreme plan. I go through 3-4 razors a month, no tipping required!

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Wasn’t getting notifications lately, not sure why. Those were some really good squats Monday, nice and deep and under control. That’s good to see Sage starting to workout with you, getting a degree and pursuing a career. I’m sure that makes you feel good and very satisfied.👍

Last edited:
MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Wasn’t getting notifications lately, not sure why. Those were some really good squats Monday, nice and deep and under control. That’s good to see Sage starting to workout with you, getting a degree and pursuing a career. I’m sure that makes you feel good and very satisfied.👍
It sure does! I am definitely proud of Sage and love how hard they are working toward this goal. Speaking of Sage, they got called in to work last night so I took an hour long walk, lowered my planned caloric intake and called it an evening. We are going to lift tonight so that they wouldn't miss the session.

3/24/23 - Morning Weight 213.2 - Same as yesterday

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Good scale consistency, your dietary manipulation is getting sharper lately.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Good scale consistency, your dietary manipulation is getting sharper lately.
Thanks, I got upset with myself regarding putting back on a few lbs. So it is time to bring it down. Also my strength gains seem to be outpacing some of my connective tissue at the moment. So going to start pushing volume a bit more, and backing off of the max 3-5 rep attempts for a little bit. Focus a little more in the working up 3-6 reps at RPE8 for my main strength lifts and push more volume for the others. I figure between this change and watching my diet more closely I can attack both muscle size and strength while letting my connective tissue catch up and physique improve.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
3/27/23 - 215.8 - Had a birthday bash with my nephews yesterday. So had some cake and pizza. Weight is up a little but not too bad.

Had a decent lower pump session Saturday, nothing too impressive just 4 sets of 10-25 on leg press, hack squat, leg ext and leg curls.

I am going back to an alternating schedule, 3 lifting, and 3 cardio / walking sessions a week for a bit. My body seems to be taking a bit of a beating adjusting to me pushing numbers each session. Only took 3 weeks of 3's to beat me up. So going to alternate between strength and hypertrophy again. I seemed to be able to handle that rate of increase a bit better.

As of right now thinking of something along these lines.

Day 1
Strength

Bench - 4x3-6
Push Press - 3x6-8

Hypertrophy
Dips - 3x10-15
Olympic High Bar Squat - 3x8-12
Leg Press - 3x15-25
Leg Extension - 3x10-15

Day 2
Strength -

Deadlifts - 5 sets 3-6 + 2 backdown sets @80% of top set

Hypertrophy -
DB Rows - 3 x8-12
Lat Pull Downs - 3 x10-15
Preacher Curls - 3 x10-15
Rear Delts - 3x15-25

Day 3
Strength
-
Pull Ups 4x3-6
Pendlay Rows – 3x6-8

Hypertrophy –
SUMO DL 3x8-12
RDL 3 x10-15
Lying leg Curls 3 x10-15
EZ Bar Curls 3 x10-15

Day 4
Strength

SSB Squats 5 sets 3-6 + 2 backdown sets @80% of top set

Hypertrophy 3 sets of 10-15
DB Bench
Medial Delts
Plate Raises
Skull Crushers

Rotating through on a Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday lifting schedule so everything gets touched twice every 8 days, and I have the option of extending fasting Sunday-Monday. I do plan to take Sunday's off unless I need to move a Saturday session to Sunday for some reason. I will have to see how this treats me for a while. We shall see how this treats me and modify as needed.

Sage has wavered a little and I really think what they need now is just a general fitness program to get them started. Trying to fit them into my schedule was not working to well for them or me for that matter. I think at least with what I am doing now I can get them involved if they want to be. However I definitely think they will be better served with a basic fitness plan. Hopefully the wife gets back in the gym as planned and I can get them on a simple Full Body 3x a week plan doing it together to get them both started.

I was also asked to run a log for Olympus Labs Oracle, it is their new pre-workout. I am pretty excited to try something new since I have been taking a pretty barebones product the wife got from Kroger recently and it has definitely been lacking even at 1.5 scoops. Once that comes in I will be starting a new log to update the pre-workout stuff but will still be logging in here.

If anyone sees any glaring issues with how I put this together let me know. It is a work in progress for sure.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Looks like a good plan to me, especially considering you’re technically still recovering from surgery. As much as I love heavy lifting, I have to incorporate some lighter hypertrophy work in or I end up beating my body up. I have to remind myself I’m not young anymore and work smart, so I feel you on that.
Yeah I would say anything that keeps Sage and your wife interested in fitness is the way to go for them. I think as men just pure working out is fun for us, but most women and teenagers tend to view it as a chore. So making it more fun for them usually is more successful.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Looks like a good plan to me, especially considering you’re technically still recovering from surgery. As much as I love heavy lifting, I have to incorporate some lighter hypertrophy work in or I end up beating my body up. I have to remind myself I’m not young anymore and work smart, so I feel you on that.
Yeah I would say anything that keeps Sage and your wife interested in fitness is the way to go for them. I think as men just pure working out is fun for us, but most women and teenagers tend to view it as a chore. So making it more fun for them usually is more successful.
Agreed, looking at this I might even start my Hyper Sessions off with only 2 sets on some things. I have a lot going on in those sessions. Boredom will not be one of my problems. :)

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I am fasting the rest of the morning, and will go take a walk shortly then start getting in some carbs for my session tonight throughout the rest of the afternoon. I brought in 1lb cooked tilapia and 4 cups of rice to split up over 2 meals. Just going to break the fish up into the rice, hit it with some lemon juice and Tony's and crush that stuff. Looking forward to it today.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Finally broke my fast with half of my tilapia and rice after 42 hours. Going to have the rest just before leaving for the house so I have some carbs still trickling in. Looking forward to my session tonight to see how it goes together the way I set it up.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Looks like a good split to me as long as you don’t try to push the progressions on hypertrophy days. That is my weakness with the lower intensity higher volume stuff.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Looks like a good split to me as long as you don’t try to push the progressions on hypertrophy days. That is my weakness with the lower intensity higher volume stuff.
That’s a great point. Trying to push everything at once is when the train generally goes off the tracks, besides ramping up on a blast.

I have been trying to pay more specific attention not just to what I really what I want to progress in a given session, but also what I need to hold back on to ensure I can keep pushing the next thing I really care about.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Great point! I tend to push everything hard as if my body can take anything I throw at it until it becomes obvious it can't.
That’s a great point. Trying to push everything at once is when the train generally goes off the tracks, besides ramping up on a blast.

I have been trying to pay more specific attention not just to what I really what I want to progress in a given session, but also what I need to hold back on to ensure I can keep pushing the next thing I really care about.
Agreed, you know me, I tend to push hard on most of what I do and need to focus more on getting as much out of as little as possible instead of just trying to do as much as possible all the time. I will run myself right into the ground.

With my propensity to want to do too much, maybe when I plan my training I should treat the ending layout as my finishing point and then pare down a little from there for my starting place. Give me somewhere to work up too.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I was also asked to run a log for Olympus Labs Oracle, it is their new pre-workout. I am pretty excited to try something new since I have been taking a pretty barebones product the wife got from Kroger recently and it has definitely been lacking even at 1.5 scoops. Once that comes in I will be starting a new log to update the pre-workout stuff but will still be logging in here.
Interested in what you think here, know you'll put it to the test!

I've got a tub coming from the launch sale. My main concern is how the stim-x treats me.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Interested in what you think here, know you'll put it to the test!

I've got a tub coming from the launch sale. My main concern is how the stim-x treats me.
Yeah, there are some stims that make me feel like I am rushing to the point I feel weak. It's as horrible feeling so hoping that isn't the case here.

I already had to adapt training plan. My right shoulder is still just a little bit inflamed from the close grips last and got a bit testy toward the end of bench and couldn't get comfortable with OH Pressing. Also with as long as it took me to warm up on bench it reminded me why I was splitting up my movement patterns. It just takes me entirely too long to warm up a movement to do a bunch of them. After fiddling with bench and testing shoulder press i was already an hour in and didn't want to spend 10-15 minutes warming up to squats. I think that I need to cut back to training the movements once a week, save on warm up time, allow more time for connective tissue repair and make adjusting volume a lot simpler. Most everything i see about older trainees says a once a week is better for us old guys if pushing strength so I might as well get on board.

Anyway on to the training.

3/29/23 - Bench and Pump Work
Walk 1 Mile with Chain doing various RC work, raises presses, triceps extensions and curls with the chain.
Band RC work

Flat BB Bench - Bar x 20x 2 - 95x6, 135x6, 165x6, 185x6, 205x6, 215x6, 225x6, 235x6
- Bench never did quite feel on and right shoulder was getting unstable toward the end of 235.

Military Press - Bar x 15, Bar x 15, 65x6, 95x2 - Overhead pressing just felt like continuing was unwise.

At this point I was a little over the hour mark, and decided I simply did not want to spend 10-15 minutes warming up to working sets of squats since my lower body had cooled down completely. So I opted for some upper body pump work I knew would not bother my shoulder to add a little volume to the session.

DB Side Raise - 15 x RPE8 x 4 sets

Supinating Curls - 15 x RPE8 x 4 sets
- Biceps tendon is still sore - just trying to get blood in the area
Rope Triceps Extension 80 x RPE8 x 4 sets - Its amazing how heavy this feels on the lever system.

Last edited:
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Flat BB Bench - Bar x 20x 2 - 95x6, 135x6, 165x6, 185x6, 205x6, 215x6, 225x6, 235x6 - Bench never did quite feel on and right shoulder was getting unstable toward the end of 235.
sorry to hear that your shoulder is not 100%, but glad that you could pull in the reigns a bit and also... actually lol.... 235 x 6 on a 'bad' day seems pretty damn good to me! lol

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think that’s just how it has to be as you age & gain strength. All the people doing very high frequency on SBD are in their 20s besides a few genetic elite. They just get under the bar mainly and start going. That doesn’t work forever though obviously.

Do you have a shareable digital copy of Fortitude Training btw? I emailed you the other week but never heard back. No biggie if not, just thought it would be worth a read

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
sorry to hear that your shoulder is not 100%, but glad that you could pull in the reigns a bit and also... actually lol.... 235 x 6 on a 'bad' day seems pretty damn good to me! lol
Thanks, yeah not a bad performance. However it just finished me for any more pressing. I think next session it will be a bit better. Just have to get that labrum to cool down a little more.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think that’s just how it has to be as you age & gain strength. All the people doing very high frequency on SBD are in their 20s besides a few genetic elite. They just get under the bar mainly and start going. That doesn’t work forever though obviously.

Do you have a shareable digital copy of Fortitude Training btw? I emailed you the other week but never heard back. No biggie if not, just thought it would be worth a read
@Hyde Oh man I must have totally missed the email. I get so much junk mail in there. I will send you one I think I might even have it in my Google Drive.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

You should have it now.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Thanks, yeah not a bad performance. However it just finished me for any more pressing. I think next session it will be a bit better. Just have to get that labrum to cool down a little more.
our shoulder issues are opposite of each other in some ways I think... I never had to get the surgery, just tore the rotator twice. But it's any weird wide grip that gets me. CGBP is a zero pain movement but I really really have to dial in my incline press or it zings me all the way down my bicep into my elbow, it's weird.

actually, what's funny is lately been hitting 315lbs with the sling shot pain free, but DO NOT ask me to do a push up!!!!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Access requested to your Sheets
What, weird I will download it then send the file it must have sent a link.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thought I would share this here since I stumlbed across it on youtube and thought it worthy of trying to get a few comments sent to the DEA.

The DEA is planning to make getting TRT via Telehealth illegal. You can comment to them at the link above to let them know you do not agree. They are shutting down the comments on 3/31/23 so go get your voice heard on this topic.

This video explains a bit about the proposed rule

The actual proposed rule is here.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thought I would share this here since I stumlbed across it on youtube and thought it worthy of trying to get a few comments sent to the DEA.
Yep, already commented asking them to please not further limit telemedicine for remote patients in need of care. People who live far away, people who have or live with compromised immune systems like infants or elderly, etc will be really harmed by this. It’s not just about “I can’t get a script for deca”, this is about access to basic medical care in our digital age with doctors who can see more patients online faster than in person.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yep, already commented asking them to please not further limit telemedicine for remote patients in need of care. People who live far away, people who have or live with compromised immune systems like infants or elderly, etc will be really harmed by this. It’s not just about “I can’t get a script for deca”, this is about access to basic medical care in our digital age with doctors who can see more patients online faster than in person.
Facts!!!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
3/29/23 - 80 minute walk up parking garage ramps and back down stairs

I ate one high protein, high fat, low carb meal yesterday afternoon then returned to fasting

3/30/23 - Morning Weight - 215 even - Surprised by weight considering how little carbs and total calories I had yesterday. I did bump my Testosterone dose from 100mg to 200mg this week, and am looking pretty full but not sure if that has anything to do with it. Could just be a little water.

Got my blood work in and only thing a little off is LDL being a little out of range but my Triglycerides, HDL, and HDL/LDL ratio is on point. So not too worried considering current studies regarding LDL's role in CVD, or should I say it's lack of a role in it.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Got my blood work in and only thing a little off is LDL being a little out of range but my Triglycerides, HDL, and HDL/LDL ratio is on point. So not too worried considering current studies regarding LDL's role in CVD, or should I say it's lack of a role in it.
I was talking to my wife about this last night cause I have been thinking about just doing it at one of the large corporate labs you and Rocket recommended since I was never able to get in with my regular Doc in January when we went dry. She was of the mindset that maybe it would be interesting to go ahead and get the work done now anyways, even if parameters aren't optimal, then do them again later after fasting, rest days, and no drinking etc to see how they change.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I was talking to my wife about this last night cause I have been thinking about just doing it at one of the large corporate labs you and Rocket recommended since I was never able to get in with my regular Doc in January when we went dry. She was of the mindset that maybe it would be interesting to go ahead and get the work done now anyways, even if parameters aren't optimal, then do them again later after fasting, rest days, and no drinking etc to see how they change.
Yeah, It is good to check on things. My original plan was to eat really well and do everything right leading up to the tests but I had let my diet slip and cut back on cardio the month leading up to the test. Honestly I am pretty happy with the results considering it gives me a snapshot of what my lipids are looking like when diet and cardio levels are poor but my testosterone and estrogen are perfectly in range.

Serum Testosterone was 735, and e2 was 28 and SHGB was middle of the road at 35 with running TRT @ 100mg a week for 3 months.
Sessions have been looking good even with the shoulder not 100% are you doing one fast a week?
Thanks, yes, doing at least one 24 hour fast, sometimes longer and more often. I definitely plan on picking up the focus on them and fat loss over the next month or two.

Broke my fast today at noon with a 6oz cooked weight 94/6 beef patty, 2 servings of hummus and an everything bagel. I will have some Tuna and Rice around 4:00PM then lift when I get home.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah, there are some stims that make me feel like I am rushing to the point I feel weak. It's as horrible feeling so hoping that isn't the case here.

I already had to adapt training plan. My right shoulder is still just a little bit inflamed from the close grips last and got a bit testy toward the end of bench and couldn't get comfortable with OH Pressing. Also with as long as it took me to warm up on bench it reminded me why I was splitting up my movement patterns. It just takes me entirely too long to warm up a movement to do a bunch of them. After fiddling with bench and testing shoulder press i was already an hour in and didn't want to spend 10-15 minutes warming up to squats. I think that I need to cut back to training the movements once a week, save on warm up time, allow more time for connective tissue repair and make adjusting volume a lot simpler. Most everything i see about older trainees says a once a week is better for us old guys if pushing strength so I might as well get on board.

Anyway on to the training.

3/29/23 - Bench and Pump Work
Walk 1 Mile with Chain doing various RC work, raises presses, triceps extensions and curls with the chain.
Band RC work

Flat BB Bench - Bar x 20x 2 - 95x6, 135x6, 165x6, 185x6, 205x6, 215x6, 225x6, 235x6
- Bench never did quite feel on and right shoulder was getting unstable toward the end of 235.

Military Press - Bar x 15, Bar x 15, 65x6, 95x2 - Overhead pressing just felt like continuing was unwise.

At this point I was a little over the hour mark, and decided I simply did not want to spend 10-15 minutes warming up to working sets of squats since my lower body had cooled down completely. So I opted for some upper body pump work I knew would not bother my shoulder to add a little volume to the session.

DB Side Raise - 15 x RPE8 x 4 sets

Supinating Curls - 15 x RPE8 x 4 sets
- Biceps tendon is still sore - just trying to get blood in the area
Rope Triceps Extension 80 x RPE8 x 4 sets - Its amazing how heavy this feels on the lever system.
I feel you on the shoulder issues…..I have to do a lot of warmups on any benching and overhead press work, but thankfully once I get warmed up I’m usually pretty good. Those shoulder injuries just add up over the years and takes a toll on us older guys. Hopefully your modifications and adjustments to your program will help.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Thanks, yes, doing at least one 24 hour fast, sometimes longer and more often. I definitely plan on picking up the focus on them and fat loss over the next month or two.
it seems to me like the results of a 36hr fast are double the results of the 24hr but the 24hr is a nice way for me to maintain maintenance while eating in a surplus during lifting days... and also lets me have dinner with my wife lol

but seriously, 36hr fast for the win.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
it seems to me like the results of a 36hr fast are double the results of the 24hr but the 24hr is a nice way for me to maintain maintenance while eating in a surplus during lifting days... and also lets me have dinner with my wife lol

Have honestly considered setting things up so I can do a 48 hour once a week but I would definitely want those to be work days so I am not sitting around the house on the weekend daydreaming of food.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I feel you on the shoulder issues…..I have to do a lot of warmups on any benching and overhead press work, but thankfully once I get warmed up I’m usually pretty good. Those shoulder injuries just add up over the years and takes a toll on us older guys. Hopefully your modifications and adjustments to your program will help.
Yeah exactly, I take so long to warm up it only makes sense to only warm up once in a workout.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

I’ve just started the 24 hr fast and have only completed 2 so far. By the time I hit 24 hr I’m so starving it’s crazy. I don’t know I feel like it would take a while to work up to a 36hr.
Have honestly considered setting things up so I can do a 48 hour once a week but I would definitely want those to be work days so I am not sitting around the house on the weekend daydreaming of food.
The first fast I did was at home in the weekend the second was during work day. Definitely easier at work like you said!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’ve just started the 24 hr fast and have only completed 2 so far. By the time I hit 24 hr I’m so starving it’s crazy. I don’t know I feel like it would take a while to work up to a 36hr.

The first fast I did was at home in the weekend the second was during work day. Definitely easier at work like you said!
If you fast from your last meal one night until the next night all you have to do to finish the 36 hours is pretty much go to sleep. Then you only have a couple hours once you wake up which you can spend looking forward to that first meal. :)

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
About to eat some chicken curry with rice to fuel up for my session when I get home tonight.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
3/30/23 Pull

WU - Elliptical 5 min
DB RC work

HS Isolateral Row NG - 45x10, 90x10 x4 sets

HS Isolateral Row WG 90x10 x 3 sets

HS Lat Pulldown 100x10x 2 sets

Free Motion Isolateral lat pull downs 80x10 x 3 sets

Pullover Machine 100x15 x 3 sets

Reverse Fly Machine 70xRPE9, RPE9, RPE11 reps 35-15

EZ Bar Curls 50xRPE9, 50xRPE9, 50x fail

DB Hammer Curls 25x6 x 3 set

I had so much fun with this session! I was just focusing on mind muscle connection and creating a lot of tension in the targeted muscle.

Everything felt great. The pump was off the chain, and the biceps seemed to handle it better with the constant tension. I think I will focus on training like this for a little while and let my connective tissue start catching up, healing a bit.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Nice session, full bb style
no wonder you have such a built back 😅

If you fast from your last meal one night until the next night all you have to do to finish the 36 hours is pretty much go to sleep.
bingo! and I find the zero calorie sparkling water drinks my wife gets are nice in the evening to distract me from the habit of eating/snacking

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice session, full bb style
no wonder you have such a built back 😅

bingo! and I find the zero calorie sparkling water drinks my wife gets are nice in the evening to distract me from the habit of eating/snacking
Thanks! I naturally have a big back and traps but I definitely work hard to build it too! Yep full on BB style there. I will still do Deadlifts, Bench and Squats obviously but going to change focus to a bit of BB style lifting for a little bit. Do some more machines, more volume, more time under tension, and add in some intensity techniques when appropriate.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
3/30/23 Pull

WU - Elliptical 5 min
DB RC work

HS Isolateral Row NG - 45x10, 90x10 x4 sets

HS Isolateral Row WG 90x10 x 3 sets

HS Lat Pulldown 100x10x 2 sets

Free Motion Isolateral lat pull downs 80x10 x 3 sets

Pullover Machine 100x15 x 3 sets

Reverse Fly Machine 70xRPE9, RPE9, RPE11 reps 35-15

EZ Bar Curls 50xRPE9, 50xRPE9, 50x fail

DB Hammer Curls 25x6 x 3 set

I had so much fun with this session! I was just focusing on mind muscle connection and creating a lot of tension in the targeted muscle.

Everything felt great. The pump was off the chain, and the biceps seemed to handle it better with the constant tension. I think I will focus on training like this for a little while and let my connective tissue start catching up, healing a bit.
Nice I like that session, yeah I bet that pump was intense! How long are you thinking of training like this? I ask because I have no clue how long it generally takes to let connective tissue heal/catch up? Probably different for each person and many factors.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
3/31/23 - Morning Weight 214.2 - Funny, I got the weight drop after a day of eating. I am keeping things low carb today. Will go get in a nice long walk for lunch. I got in early so I have about and hour and a half for lunch.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice I like that session, yeah I bet that pump was intense! How long are you thinking of training like this? I ask because I have no clue how long it generally takes to let connective tissue heal/catch up? Probably different for each person and many factors.
I will probably go 2-3 months higher volume less strength focused. Clean up the waistline in the process then start focusing more on lower rep range stuff for a while. I am in a situation where I have plenty of muscle mass to move more weight than I am moving and have been much stronger before. So my strength just wants to keep climbing, and muscle memory keeps wanting to go, but I keep finding areas that aren't ready for that type of focus on strength yet. That's the problem with laying off for a long time then coming back in and getting injured for longer. That whole time the connective tissue just weakens and it doesn't have muscle memory to rebuild quick like muscle. So with that and me being a little older it is just going to take time and challenging the tissue at a rate it can recover and rebuild stronger from.

That session was probably a little heavy on the volume for lats but I added in the pullovers after the other work as an afterthought. I forgot they had that machine there and I love the pullover machine!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I will probably go 2-3 months higher volume less strength focused. Clean up the waistline in the process then start focusing more on lower rep range stuff for a while. I am in a situation where I have plenty of muscle mass to move more weight than I am moving and have been much stronger before. So my strength just wants to keep climbing, and muscle memory keeps wanting to go, but I keep finding areas that aren't ready for that type of focus on strength yet. That's the problem with laying off for a long time then coming back in and getting injured for longer. That whole time the connective tissue just weakens and it doesn't have muscle memory to rebuild quick like muscle. So with that and me being a little older it is just going to take time and challenging the tissue at a rate it can recover and rebuild stronger from.

That session was probably a little heavy on the volume for lats but I added in the pullovers after the other work as an afterthought. I forgot they had that machine there and I love the pullover machine!
It makes sense, I have read some of the comments from Hyde and you guy’s talking about. So will be interesting to see how it treats you!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
3/31/23 - Morning Weight 214.2 - Funny, I got the weight drop after a day of eating. I am keeping things low carb today. Will go get in a nice long walk for lunch. I got in early so I have about and hour and a half for lunch.
when I was training for fitness comps I called my training "dynamic" in that... come Saturday/Sunday I would target things that I felt were under served during the week. for example if we squatted every damn day, I'd obviously not be doing leg work on Saturday, it would become a "pop tarts" or "vanity" day (curls, tris, etc).

since watching you and exploring these new nutritional hacks, I can say my dietary approach has become quite dynamic in the same way and I love it!