Jim's Powerlifting Training

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So are you trying to buy the engine from the other one from the insurance for it?
No, I'm just waiting for someone to crash their late model corvette or camaro so I can swap the LS3 in.
Who tf crashes into a parked car
It was an elderly asian man. He actually flipped his car right in front of my house. I had to bust him out with a sledgehammer.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
DE Lower

Duff. Speed squat: 215 x 2 x 8
TPB Speed DL: 225 x 1 x 10

GHR: BW x 12 x 3
TRX Ham Curl: BW x 20 x 2 (ouch)
HLR: BW x 8 x 3

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Internet trolls are everywhere after Hoff's new record.

Watching him launch Louie is about the funniest thing I have ever seen, though.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Internet trolls are everywhere after Hoff's new record.

Watching him launch Louie is about the funniest thing I have ever seen, though.
Because multiply depth or because Louie got launched?

Honestly, while high that’s probably the lowest I have ever seen him squat and certainly not high by multiply standards. As for the celebration shove, I think that’s more or less tradition with those guys - just caught Louie unprepared lol

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Because multiply depth or because Louie got launched?

Honestly, while high that’s probably the lowest I have ever seen him squat and certainly not high by multiply standards. As for the celebration shove, I think that’s more or less tradition with those guys - just caught Louie unprepared lol
Just the DL in general.

I haven't even seen a video of the squat.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey, I did a thing today, so I figured I should log it.

Haven't trained in the last 2 weeks. I went to the lake the weekend before this semester started and got a sweet ear infection, and I didn't want to risk blowing out my ear drum. I think it was outer ear, but I didn't want to chance it.

I still can't hear out if it, actually (2 weeks later), but it doesn't hurt anymore so I figure I'm probably ok.

Anyway, training stuff from just now:

ME Bench (bw: 178)

Shoulder warm-up, band hammer curls

CG Swiss Bench: 125 x 5, 175 x 2, 195 x 1, 215 x 1, 220 x 1

WG Swiss Bench: 165 x 5 x 3

a_1. Low Inc. DB Bench: 60 x 10 x 3
a_2. Low Inc. CS DB Row: 60 x 10 x 3

b_1. Low Inc. Pec Flyes: 25 x 15 x 2
b_2. Seated Cable Row: 130 x 15 x 2

EZ Curl: 55 x 15 x 2

This semester (my first at UH) looks like it is going to be very busy. I will try to maintain at least 4x a week training and updating in here, though.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey Jim’s back! Lol and I see you’re close to 180 again
Mostly flab, though.

ME Lower (bw: 178.6)

Duff. Comp. Squat: bar x 6, 105 x 5, 145 x 3, 195 x 2, 235 x 1, 285 x 1, 325 x 1, 345 x 1, 365 x 1

DE Con. DL: 225 x 1 x 8

GHR: BW x 11, 13
Ab rollout: BW x 8 x 2

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Got sick on Tuesday. Not sure what, but left work early with a fever and it broke overnight. Didn't train Wednesday.

Did Wednesday's training today after class instead.

RE Bench

Duffalo Bench: 165 x 5 x 5
Seated DB OHP: 50 x 6, 55 x 6, 60 x 6

a1. Underhand Fat bar Pull down: 120 x 10, 130 x 10 x 2
a2. BTH Tricep Push down: 50 x 10, 60 x 10 x 2

b1. DB Lateral Raise: 15 x 15 x 3
b2. DB Rear Delt Raise: 15 x 15 x 3

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Glad you are feeling better.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I was hoping he’d pass and I would acquire his gym for pennies on the dollar, but I suppose it’s good he’s still around too
Oh you have to beat me to his gym on that one, and I have location on my side. I will tell you what. I will take everything he got from Edge Fitness and you can have the rest... ;)

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh you have to beat me to his gym on that one, and I have location on my side. I will tell you what. I will take everything he got from Edge Fitness and you can have the rest... ;)
He may be getting the better end of that deal, honestly.

That is all assuming Beverly doesn't just keep it all, though.
Jim still lifts?
Rarely, but it does happen.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yesterday:

DE Squat

Duff. Comp. Squat: 195 x 2 x 8
DB Row: 95 x 8 x 3
Belt Squat: 190 x 15 x 2
HKR: BW x 10 x 3

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm considering rearranging the gym some.

I have this deck in my backyard, and it is about 390sqft or so. I don't use it for anything right now, and I think I could probably extend the awning to cover the entire area and have it built out to be like a screened in patio.

I'd lose the AC, but I'd get a lot more space. It would let me fit most of my stuff into one area (with some machines still in the shed right next to it) with more open space to move.

Probably wouldn't happen soon, but I think it could be good in the long-term.

Any thoughts? I'm still mulling it over right now. Trying to decide if it is worth seriously thinking about.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That sounds dope honestly. I support this decision
Yeah, Beverly liked the idea too.

The deck is like 16' x 24', or something like that. Damn near double the size of the shed.

I'll have to get some good measurements and draw up a tentative floor plan and see how everything would work.

Height might be an issue, but the awning needs to be built out anyway so it isn't insurmountable.

Likely a next spring type of project, though. The wet season just started and the tax return money would be helpful. I guess we will see as the year goes on.

ME Bench

Duffalo: bar x 10, 105 x 8, 145 x 5, 195 x 2, 215 x 1, 225 x 1, 230 x 1

a1. DB Bench: 80 x 8 x 3
a2. Cable Row: 180 x 8 x 3

b1. Dips: BW x 15 x 2
b2. Hammer Curl: 30 x 15 x 2

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sounds good. Things get tight in that shed.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds good. Things get tight in that shed.
I think it could be damn nice. It would (hopefully) get the monolift, leg press, and Westside bench in the same "room" as the rest of the equipment.

I'd definitely need to get some type of weatherproofing equipment that would keep the rain out, but I think snap-on covers on the outside of the screens would likely fit that bill. I could also consider making it into a sunroom type of room (w/ glass windows throughout instead of screens), but that would require a building permit and would be much more expensive.

You may all be wondering why I haven't updated this week. It is not because I have been missing updates; instead, I have been missing training sessions. I had a heavy school workload, and I am making up workouts for the rest of this week as a result. ME Squat happening in a few minutes.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ME Squat/DE Deadlift

Duff. Front Squat: bar x 10, 105 x 8, 145 x 5, 195 x 2, 235 x 1, 285 x 1, 305 x 1

Con. DL: 245 x 1 x 8

Chinups: BW x 5 x 3

a1. TRX Ham curls: BW x 15 x 2
a2. Crunches: BW x 30 x 2

Now is a frozen pizza and some studying before heading to work.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Glass windows would make it too hot anyway
I think you're right. It is unlikely that I could run A/C because of the way the ducts are run in the house, so screens are probably my best bet.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, my bars and stuff get rust on them and they are in a garage... it's a real pain in the ass... So damn humid down here I can't keep things from getting rust on them...

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, my bars and stuff get rust on them and they are in a garage... it's a real pain in the ass... So damn humid down here I can't keep things from getting rust on them...
That is another thing, too. Some of my bare steel bars rust in the house if I don't run the A/C, but I guess it won't be any worse than when the equipment was all in the shed (or the stuff in the garage).

I think I can keep the rain out, but there isn't anything I can really do about the damned humidity.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That is another thing, too. Some of my bare steel bars rust in the house if I don't run the A/C, but I guess it won't be any worse than when the equipment was all in the shed (or the stuff in the garage).

I think I can keep the rain out, but there isn't anything I can really do about the damned humidity.
The only stuff to really worry about is things with sliding or moving parts. A bar or squat rack with some rust on it is just an inconvenience but it can be used just the same! I want to start conditioning my bars, but I need to look up how to do it.

My Elite FTS YOKE is rusted all around the bend where it rests on the j-hooks of my rack... I am thinking of sanding that areas down and spraying it with something like a truck bed protector spray or something. Might even take the whole bar to a place that can do it.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The only stuff to really worry about is things with sliding or moving parts. A bar or squat rack with some rust on it is just an inconvenience but it can be used just the same! I want to start conditioning my bars, but I need to look up how to do it.

My Elite FTS YOKE is rusted all around the bend where it rests on the j-hooks of my rack... I am thinking of sanding that areas down and spraying it with something like a truck bed protector spray or something. Might even take the whole bar to a place that can do it.
My best advice for bars is, once they start to get some "fresh" rust, spray them with WD-40 and let it loosen that up. Once it is loose, wipe it with a WD-40 rag to "spread" the oxidization across the whole bar. Don't try to wipe it until it is shiny bare steel again, just spread the oxidization across the length of the bar and it will help protect it from further rusting. It is like a poor man's black oxide coating. It just coats it in the browned patina and leaves less bare steel for further oxidization.

For moving parts, you can actually do the same thing, but it is honestly better just to keep a light coating of 3-in-1 oil and just use them regularly. It won't affect the function unless you let it sit for an extended period of time without use. That will create burs that will snag the carriage/weight stack.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
RE Bench

Duffalo Bench: 75 x 12, 115 x 8, 145 x 3, 175 x 5 x 5

Arnold Press: 35 x 8 x 3

a1. DB Pullover: 60 x 8 x 2
a2. DB Lateral Raise: 20 x 15 x 2
a3. Plate Rear Delt Raise: 10s x 15 x 2

CG DB Pushup: BW x 30sec x 2

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yesterday was DE Squat

Duff. Comp Squat: 195 x 2 x 10
Pendlay Row: 185 x 3 x 5
Walking Lunges: BW x 50 x 2
Band Resisted Back Ext: Micro x 15 x 2

Today was ME Bench:

TPB CG Bench: bar x 12, 95 x 8, 135 x 5, 185 x 2, 205 x 1, 225 x 1, 235 x 1

BB Bench (T3030): 175 x 3 x 5
TRX Row: BW x 15 x 3
a1. Low Band Pec Fly: Reds x 15 x 2
a2. Band Facepull: Green x 20 x 2

Poundstone Curls: TPB x 50

Now, off to work on another paper before heading to work.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Short one today.

ME Lower

3-pin rack pull (TPB): bar x 10, 135 x 5, 185 x 2, 225 x 1, 275 x 1, 315 x 1, 335 x 1, 355 x 1

NG Chins: BW x 8 x 3
GHR: BW x 10 x 2

Gonna try to get some homework done now before I go to work.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for the suggestions!!! I will go ahead and give that a try!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anyone got any good links for mountain dog training? All my old ones are dead links now.

Thinking about doing MD assistance to build some muscles.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Anyone got any good links for mountain dog training? All my old ones are dead links now.

Thinking about doing MD assistance to build some muscles.
Not sure about direct links but I think I might have some of his programs in PDF format. I will look and see if I can find some at home.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Holy crap Jim’s alive
Just barely.

Didn't train all of November, but I'm trying to get back into the swing of things now that the semester is over.
Not sure about direct links but I think I might have some of his programs in PDF format. I will look and see if I can find some at home.
That would be great!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
On vacation for the week. My workout will be staying home and replacing 3 bedrooms of carpet with vinyl.

Finished 1 room yesterday. Working on the master now and will do the last room tomorrow. Then I will reinstall the base boards and molding on Friday.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Flooring sucks lol
Tell me about it, use to lay tile/hardwood with the union, hard pass for me now lol I laid hardwood since I was 16, talk about erector strength

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Howdy folks.

Been doing some stuff this week. I figure now is as good a time as any to actually log it.

Sunday

ME Bench

DB Bench: 65 x 8 x 4
Swiss Bench: work to 195 x 1
Dips: BW x 12, 13, 12
DB Flyes: 25 x 12, 10
DB Pushups: BW x 14

Tuesday

ME Squat

Leg Press: 2pps x 10 x 5
KSB Comp. Squat: 345 x 1
GHR: +25 x 8 x 3
Hack Squat: 280 x 20

Wednesday

DE Bench

Standing OHP: 115 x 8 x 2, 115 x 7
Duffalo Bench (DE): 145 x 3 x 6
Seated DB Shoulder Press: 45 x 12, 10, 7

a1. Fat Bar Push down: 60 x 12 x 2, 60 x 9
a2. Rear Delt Pullapart: Doubled Micro x 20 x 3

Carter Shoulder Raise: 35 x 20 (hard to explain: https://www.instagram.com/p/BsG2iATDuNS/?utm_********ig_share_sheet&igsh****aotg16xabrpi)

That's all folks. The first exercise each day will stay the same for 4-6 weeks and just be progressive overload progression.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Cool and going to have to try that Carter Shoulder raise!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No workout this afternoon. Mom is at hospital with an aneurysm. Headed downtown now.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
No workout this afternoon. Mom is at hospital with an aneurysm. Headed downtown now.
Oh no, Jim let me know if you actually need anything Bro.

Sending good vibes your Mom's way!