MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Are you good at pull ups? Can you do all 5 sets of 6 without any breaks? I imagine so. If so are you going to add weight?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you good at pull ups? Can you do all 5 sets of 6 without any breaks? I imagine so. If so are you going to add weight?
I probably will have to add weight here in the near future, because they really aren't that challenging anymore.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You basically have to add weight on pull-ups unless you’re like 275+

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You basically have to add weight on pull-ups unless you’re like 275+
How many pull ups can you do Hyde? I can add weight if I do 1-3 reps, but any higher and I have to do bodyweight. I think I can eek out 11-12 solid pull ups in one set, but that number will fall completely off on the next set. I don't think I could finish 5x6 at bodyweight right now. Pretty sure I would fail in the 4rth or 5th set. I can get better at them and have but last year my brachialis started hurting when i did Pull ups and my numbers fell horribly since then.

Now rowing.... that is a completely different story!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
33 minutes on elliptical. 7.2 miles.

Elliptical + sore legs = suck.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Or just do more pull-ups.
But at what point do you start seeing diminishing returns from more and more pull-ups vs actually just building a stronger pull-up? That’s my rhetorical question is all.

How many pull ups can you do Hyde? I can add weight if I do 1-3 reps, but any higher and I have to do bodyweight. I think I can eek out 11-12 solid pull ups in one set, but that number will fall completely off on the next set. I don't think I could finish 5x6 at bodyweight right now. Pretty sure I would fail in the 4rth or 5th set. I can get better at them and have but last year my brachialis started hurting when i did Pull ups and my numbers fell horribly since then.

Now rowing.... that is a completely different story!
5 sets of 8-10 on pull-ups and 6 sets of 8-12 on chins at 235 BW.

When my rowing goes up, so do my chins.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
But at what point do you start seeing diminishing returns from more and more pull-ups vs actually just building a stronger pull-up? That’s my rhetorical question is all.

5 sets of 8-10 on pull-ups and 6 sets of 8-12 on chins at 235 BW.

When my rowing goes up, so do my chins.
Depends on what you're doing them for, I suppose. If you do pull-ups to be better prepared for a PFT, then you probably need to get to a point where you can comfortably do 20+, and at that point grip endurance is as big of a factor as pulling strength. For that, more reps and less rest is probably the better bet.

Otherwise, extra weight will probably be the better path towards improvement.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Deadlift: 295 x 4 x 5
DB Walking Lunge: 20s x 6 x 5
Run: 2 miles in 17:23 (treadmill)

Wanted the 16 minute pace, but my hammies were having none of that nonsense today. HR was too high at that pace, so I had to slow down to stay in the 85% target range.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A_1. Pushup: BW x 10 x 5
A_2. NG chinup:BW x 10 x 5

Situp: 35, 30, 17

Upright Cycle: 18 min @ lvl2 (5.6 miles)

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Getting that work in.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No training today. Was supposed to be a 50 minute ruck or run, but the weather decided against that.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Duffalo Squat: 285 x 5, 4, 1

Cut short 2 sets because of sharp knee pain.

Interval Run: 60:60 x 2 rounds

Same as above.

Not sure what was up today, but my knee just doesn't feel right. Very similar to issues I have had previously with it. Not going to give up on this training style quite yet, but I have been having much more joint pain than I have had in the past few years. May have to do with the relatively low assistance volume that I (might) need for maintenance. Will keep trucking forward and will assess my needs as time goes on.

If necessary, I will go back to my own programming (or opt for custom programming) to continue progressing without incurring any setbacks.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A_1. DB Bench: 75 x 8 x 2, 80 x 8 x 2, 85 x 8, 90 x 8
A_2. DB Row: same as above

Circuit:

Pull-up x 6 / Push-Up x 12 / Sit-up x 15

2 rounds BW, 3 rounds +10# on pull-ups

21 minute on C2 Rower.

Knee still doesn't feel good, so I decided to do something lower impact than the programmed run.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I have kind of said it from the beginning the pace at which you have entered running would break me. If you were already doing some running this schedule wouldn't be that bad but as a beginner, or getting back into it you really haven't given the joints and stuff much time to acclimate.

Seems like you probably do pretty good at running and probably did well before and just picked it up and went for it. I can't do that with weight lifting because I have too much muscle and if I focus on strength all of the sudden it goes up too fast and my joints kill me. Probably similar, you can naturally run pretty good and your cardio isn't bad from working in the warehouse so this was probably easy for your muscle and lungs to pick up where you left off, but not the connective tissue.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have kind of said it from the beginning the pace at which you have entered running would break me. If you were already doing some running this schedule wouldn't be that bad but as a beginner, or getting back into it you really haven't given the joints and stuff much time to acclimate.

Seems like you probably do pretty good at running and probably did well before and just picked it up and went for it. I can't do that with weight lifting because I have too much muscle and if I focus on strength all of the sudden it goes up too fast and my joints kill me. Probably similar, you can naturally run pretty good and your cardio isn't bad from working in the warehouse so this was probably easy for your muscle and lungs to pick up where you left off, but not the connective tissue.
I have a history of knee pain when running for too much volume. Doctors say it is poor patellal tracking (either genetic or muscular imbalance). I was hoping I had resolved it, since it has been so long since it has been a problem.

We will see if it persists. If so, I will just reduce the volume some and increase the non-impact cardio options. I may also decrease my volume on squat/DL to allow for more assistance volume.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No training today. Was supposed to be 30 minutes on the elliptical, but I had too much homework to do before work.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Would one of those bands they put around the knees for runners work to help that? One of the ligaments or tendons on the side of my right knee burns when I first pick up running but after a little bit it subsides. I just have to break into it really slowly. If I push to quick it inflames before it can adjust, and then becomes an issue.

Sounds like you have a plan of action though, lets hope it brings you the results you are looking for.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No training yesterday either. Had to run some errands after class and didn't have time before work.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
No training yesterday either. Had to run some errands after class and didn't have time before work.
The rest is probably doing the knee some good!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have had people recommend those to me before, Kleen. I may get one to try out.

Long run or ruck tomorrow. I haven't decided which one I will do yet.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is apparently deload time, so that could be good. I got an early start on this one lol.

Front Squat (1 sec pause): 205 x 5 x 3
RDL (3:0:1:0): 185 x 4 x 4
Tempo on Spin bike: 30:60 x 8

Planning to test the APFT on Saturday, so I won't train past Wednesday. This will be my first APFT, and will give me a benchmark for improvement going forward. Opted to cycle instead of run to keep my joints happy until Saturday.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A-1. Dips: BW x 8 x 3
A-2. Pull-ups: BW x 8 x 3

Elliptical x 14 minutes

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yesterday was:

Lying Hamstring Curl (band): Green x 15 x 2
Duffalo Back Squat (oly): 210 x 10 x 4
GHD Back Ext: BW x 15 x 2
Interval Run: 30:60 x 8

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
20 minutes on cycle @ lvl 4.

Legs are pretty sore today. Knee has felt better, but it has also felt worse.

Really trying to drill better running technique down, so that I can run further and faster. Lots of progress needs to be made, so I just need to keep working at it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So are you able to squat once/wk right now, or less frequently than that? I hadn’t noticed any in the training til the duffalo bar work you posted today.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So are you able to squat once/wk right now, or less frequently than that? I hadn’t noticed any in the training til the duffalo bar work you posted today.
Yeah, usually 1x a week. Had the few days off last week to rest for the APFT on Saturday (didn't do well enough), and now I am back to it.

I did change things up a little. Doing 3x a week in the gym with a little more assistance volume.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bench: 155 x 10 x 4
Hammer Shoulder Press: 65 x 15 x 2

A-1. Lateral raise: 20 x 15 x 2
A-2. RD raise: 20 x 15 x 2

Rope Push down: 80 x 15 x 2

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Push-ups x 60 sec

Sit-ups x 60 sec

.55 mile run in 4:12 (7:40 pace)

Plan was 1.5 mile for time (shooting for 8 min pace or better), but we got rained out shortly after starting.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Trap Bar DL: 220 x 10 x 4
Pull-ups: BW x 15, 10
Rope Cable Shrugs: 60 x 15 x 2
DB Hammer Curl: 30 x 15 x 2

Recovery Run: 15 minutes @ 9:57 pace

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
30 minute trail run. 2.89 miles. 10:28 pace.

Just didn't have it today.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks guys. Just trying to keep plugging away without getting discouraged by the rough days.

Lying Hamstring Curl: Green x 12 x 2
Duffalo OLY squat: 260 x 8 x 3 (3 min between sets)
GHD Back Ext: +25 x 12 x 2
Interval Run: 30:60 x 10

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bench: 195 x 8 x 3
Seated BTN Press: 95 x 12 x 2
a_1. Plate Front Raise: 45 x 12 x 2
a_2. Seated Rope Facepull: 50 x 12 x 2
Dips: BW x 12 x 2

Went for a walk yesterday. APFT improvement session tomorrow. Hopefully I can finish this 1.5 miler at a good pace.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Understood... still good in my book! Are you in the Army? I noticed you're prepping for an APFT?
Not currently. Got out ~5 years ago, but am seriously considering ROTC starting in the Fall (assuming I can get accepted).

jackedviking

jackedviking

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oh nice! Green to Gold program is pretty solid! Also, don’t discount going Guard or Reserve. Lots of good ways to serve part time.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
60 seconds push-ups (38)
60 seconds sit-ups (38)
.98 mile in 9:10 (169 bpm average heart rate)