intra workout ingredients that are worth your time?

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Do you prefer bulk beta alanine and a simple carb or have a staple intra workout?

I typically just sip on these two things during my workouts. Not a big believer in bcaa'a though.

What ingredients have you found to be worth their weight? Do you do a home brew or buy a packaged intra workout?

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
Not sure why beta alanine would be used intra but hydrolyzed whey/casein might be useful during if one is not opting for carbs.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
I break it up into multiple doses through out the day. One of those generally is during my routine.
Not sure why beta alanine would be used intra but hydrolyzed whey/casein might be useful during if one is not opting for carbs.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
I break it up into multiple doses through out the day. One of those generally is during my routine.
one of the few ways that actually makes sense! I don't like to drink anything intra as water is what I tend to crave

MTPMJM

MTPMJM

Awards
  • Established
BCAAs is my go to usually. If I'm feeling beat after my main lifts before accesorys i'll have a gatorade mixed with BCAAs

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Carbs, preferably HBCD and I like adding in electrolytes as well.

Creatine and Beta alanine are not acute ingredients, so ingesting these in a pre or intra-workout setting is pointless.

fbblover

Awards
True but it will stay within the cell long after the workout to do it's job, and helps my pump during

Athletix

Athletix

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm with you on BCAAs alone, but have you tried a BCAA+EAA supplement intra workout? In my opinion the difference is enormous compared to BCAA alone from a recovery standpoint. If you are truly training with sufficient intensity (as defined by effort per workout, not poundage), Amino IV (BCAA+EAA) in combination with a simple carb source is all you need, but it really depends on how you train. If you're doing a more powerlifting type routine or a lowered volume approach, you can get away with using Amino IV or a BCAA + EAA product only. Beta alanine doesn't really have a place in an intra workout in my opinion because its effects are cumulative and require a more chronic dosing, and with an intra we are focusing on ingredients that will have an immediate impact on our recovery.

MTPMJM

MTPMJM

Awards
  • Established
I've never tried Amino IV, would definitely not mind giving it a go though

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like Millennium Sports RPG iBCAA

5g BCAA, 2g Glutamin, 1g EAA, & added antioxidants

RPG Ajipure® IBCAA® 2:1:1 5000mg †
L-Leucine 2500mg
L-Isoleucine 1250mg
L-Valine 1250mg
L-Glutamine (100% Ajipure®) 2500mg †

EAA Complete Recovery Blend 1000mg †
L-Lysine
L-Arginine
L-Histidine
L-Threonine
L-Methionine
L-Phenylalanine
L-Tryptophan

RecovORAC Matrix™ 1000mg †
Proprietary Antioxidant Blend Of: Dark Cherry Powder, N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC), Orotic Acid, Acerola Berry Powder, Blueberry Juice Powder

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I personally just use aminox because I like like he taste and I like to have something with a little taste in it during my workout.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do you prefer bulk beta alanine and a simple carb or have a staple intra workout?

I typically just sip on these two things during my workouts. Not a big believer in bcaa'a though.

What ingredients have you found to be worth their weight? Do you do a home brew or buy a packaged intra workout?
Amino acids and carbs come to mind.

I wouldn't bother brewing because there are so many good pre made intra products.

I wouldn't use them for lifting days if I'm not cutting. I would use them for endurance however.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm with you on BCAAs alone, but have you tried a BCAA+EAA supplement intra workout? In my opinion the difference is enormous compared to BCAA alone from a recovery standpoint. If you are truly training with sufficient intensity (as defined by effort per workout, not poundage), Amino IV (BCAA+EAA) in combination with a simple carb source is all you need, but it really depends on how you train. If you're doing a more powerlifting type routine or a lowered volume approach, you can get away with using Amino IV or a BCAA + EAA product only. Beta alanine doesn't really have a place in an intra workout in my opinion because its effects are cumulative and require a more chronic dosing, and with an intra we are focusing on ingredients that will have an immediate impact on our recovery.
Agreed. I've found a notable difference between BCAA alone and BCAA+EAA when it comes to recovery. The base of my intra workout mix is BCAA+EAA and carbs (Amino IV and bulk hbcd or Glycofuse), as the addition of carbs suits my training style and helps further with recovery. I'll add other ingredients at times (usually those found in High Volume and Ergonine), but the 2 constants are amino acids and carbs. I'd suggest beginning to sip the intra mix about 10 mins prior to training to help kickstart MPS, and then continuing to sip between sets for the duration of your workout.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Carbs, preferably HBCD and I like adding in electrolytes as well.

Creatine and Beta alanine are not acute ingredients, so ingesting these in a pre or intra-workout setting is pointless.
Not sure if this was in reference to me, but as mentioned I dose multiple times a day... one of those being BA during my workouts. Multiple times a day + long term usage is how Beta alanine should be used.

I do a decent volume push/pull/legs routine. Agreed on Beta alanine effects being cumulative with regular dosing (see earlier in thread). I'll check out your intraworkout. cheers

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hbcd, creatine, betaine, glutamine, leucine, bcaas and eaa's, taurine, peptopro, hydromax, alcar

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
EAA's have been proven to be more benefical intra-workout as a FYI:

i also like
LCLT 2g for recovery
COP for endurnace/performance 2g
HICA around 1g for recovery
Citrulline Malate 6-8g pre-workout for lactic acid build up(preventing it)
and 2.5g Betaine

So a Ergonine + BCAA or BCAA/EAA Beverage

WHY EAA's more important than BCAA intra-workout:
but EAAs may impart some endurance-like effects that BCAAs simply cannot.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/94/3/809.long

This is the only study done in trained humans consuming EAAs during the workout. These are legit, military-trained personnel doing both resistance and endurance work.

The findings?

"In summary, consumption of a 10-g dose of EAA enriched with leucine during moderate endurance-type exercise stimulated increased MPS when compared with an isonitrogenous EAA supplement with an amino acid profile consistent with high-quality proteins. These data indicate that increasing leucine availability during steady state exercise promotes skeletal muscle protein anabolism and spares endogenous protein."

Cliffs:

These EAAs increased postworkout MPS by 33% when consumed during exercise
The drink with the highest leucine content spared muscle to the greatest degree

GiftedNatty

GiftedNatty

Awards
Purple Wraath has always seems to have a big impact on my training. Like everyone pointed out the EAAs make a great difference for recovery. Also liked amino IV but never had a full bottle just samples so can only comment on taste.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Look into Controlled Labs Purple Wraath as an intra-supp. Plenty of ergogenic aids in there. EAA's, beta alanine, citrulline malate, betaine anhydrous...

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Crystal Light.

1-A-Day, about 2hrs, 4x/Week (Cardio only, the other 3). 40g P (W+C), 30g C and some Fat, ~90-120 mins prior. Soy Granules, and DIY Pre-WO w/ Ephedrine ~30 mins prior.

Post-WO - 25g P + Milk & Cereal, as well as Moderate Carbs the rest of the day.

Tried 'Intra-MD' - no difference in anything for my program. The food before and after gets it done.

2-A-Days, 2+Hours, Fasted, Endurance work... maybe I'd use one for any of that. I'd log both with, and without, and let the numbers (and how I felt) tell me - like I did with Intra-MD.

Edit: I also dose 3g Bulk Leucine, 30 mins before any Protein Powder serving = 4x/Day.

MTPMJM

MTPMJM

Awards
  • Established
What kind if carbs do u guys suggest? Due to this thread i used half a Carbo Force intraworkout last night and felt fantastic... Mind you i always lift before work, however i couldnt, got out at 9pm, and still felt amazing

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For the very few that actually need to add something intra workout- gatorade.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It might not be a common thing, but i honestly love this espresso infused coconut water. Its got caffiene and carbs and on a demanding training day really lifts me up. I also have used gatorade and liked it. The most instant energy i have gotten has been. From hbcd. I like intra md's effects more than glycofuse because intramd is very light. Glcofuse is kinda syrupy, but the flavor is phenominal. Since o have to add extras to the glyco it can get kinda thick sometimes.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
BCAA's, EAA's, i also like the idea of electrolytes intraworkout

however i must add when i started using bcaa's intraworkout i noticed endurance and recovery, while i add eaa's because of what the solution said, i don't notice anything additional while in the gym, but it does show benefits

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
What kind if carbs do u guys suggest? Due to this thread i used half a Carbo Force intraworkout last night and felt fantastic... Mind you i always lift before work, however i couldnt, got out at 9pm, and still felt amazing
Anything without fiber. That's basically it.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just use bulk BCAA/Leucine and gatorade powder.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
I like Intra-MD from what I have read about it so far :)

The EAA and some carbs would fill in nicely because I need to keep going after training.. can't risk dozing off on the job lol.

I am trying Nitramine atm (pwo) and I like the dragonfruit flavour alot. Wish I can save it for sipping on throughout my w/o :)

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've used iForce's Compete almost exclusively since it came out and rock that along with (as of the past 6 months or so) 5g taurine.

I have Purple Wraath on hand that I'll use pre-bed with my Strafe if I haven't eaten in a while, so maybe I'll give that a go intra again. I just know I've enjoyed Compete intra vs. the other amino products I'd used back when I first started using an intra ~5 years ago.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established