I want to buy a pitbull this year. Advice?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's an awesome way to get killed if you a have professional robber.

That barrel will announce your presence before you can aim it and it makes noise to chamber a round.....unless you have a huge house with no narrow corners/rooms which if the case, a lighter rifle would work..... on the higher end a full auto MP5 in a .9 or .45 will work, a semi auto AR-15 "Pistol" is next along with the sig .556 pistol or just a SIG P226 with a 20 round magazine full of GoldDot 147G HP or Federal Hydrashoks.
A professional robber wouldn't be robbing you when you were home. A 12ga is much better protection than a mp5... Especially if you have family there too. We're not talking about SWAT tactics and building clearing :)

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
better watch out bro, i can hear your little girl saying'daddy,you do know that reese's always comes in pairs'..lol..!
On no she is geting fixed!!! Plus I am the onlyman in the house NOOO more women.:numbered:

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll never understand why people have to knock other people's idea of what a perfect pet should be. Dogs are not blood lusting monsters unless they are trained to be or have a mental instability (which happens regardless of breeds). Many of my friends have pit bulls and their temperament are as varied as the owners but they are all very friendly. Some are just less friendly with strangers/animals but I think that comes with them not being brought around those things they don't like at an early age.

My dog of choice will be Cane Corso when I have the place and time to get one. I already found my breeder. Their natural temperament and size is what I like about them. If you want a pit or a chiwowi it doesn't mean you're an ******* or pansie. Just means you wanted that damn dog.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That being said... Certain breeds are better suited for certain applications. If you're looking for personal protection you're going to need a dog that has the size and strength to provide that service.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'll never understand why people have to knock other people's idea of what a perfect pet should be. Dogs are not blood lusting monsters unless they are trained to be or have a mental instability (which happens regardless of breeds). Many of my friends have pit bulls and their temperament are as varied as the owners but they are all very friendly. Some are just less friendly with strangers/animals but I think that comes with them not being brought around those things they don't like at an early age.

My dog of choice will be Cane Corso when I have the place and time to get one. I already found my breeder. Their natural temperament and size is what I like about them. If you want a pit or a chiwowi it doesn't mean you're an ******* or pansie. Just means you wanted that damn dog.

Canes are focking badass!!! Boy or a girl ???

This guy had 4 canes with him walking one day 23 years ago. I stopped in my tracks as they did theirs. Then in formation the two younger dogs flanked the two older dogs while the older dogs positioned themselves in front of their owner. He never said a word to his dogs, but he said do not come any closer. I was like you don't have to tell me, I respect you and your dogs. He told his dogs to sit, and they never took their eyes off of me, and I found out he was a breeder. Damn I hate I lost his number. But that was some incredible stuff to see, when protection is innate.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Boy most likely but i'm looking for a specific color moreso than gender. I want to get a black one.

panther77

panther77

Awards
  • Established
if you want protecton... i'd look to the old tried and true breed of the pistola haha

jon671

jon671

Awards
  • Established
If you live near Ohio my sister needs to rehome her female American bulldog. She is a super sweet dog. Great with kids and animals. She is a pretty red brindle. I would take her myself if I did not have so many already.
Thank you for the offer, but I am out here in the Pacific. I hope she finds a home for her dog.

jon671

jon671

Awards
  • Established
if you want protecton... i'd look to the old tried and true breed of the pistola haha
I already have one and I am about to buy another. I want a dog to protect my home and my wife when I am not there.

jon671

jon671

Awards
  • Established

Yeah those are nice dogs. A local guy here has two blue ones.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
My friend who raises pits told me they're not very good guard dogs. They are generally friendly dogs, and if they are good guard dogs it means they're trained that way and kind of mean to everyone.
??

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
A professional robber wouldn't be robbing you when you were home.
Good point....:D

A 12ga is much better protection than a mp5...Especially if you have family there too
Why do you say that? I have a tacked out Mossberg 590, but I still use my P226 (Pistol) if I have to check out around the house.....??

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Shotguns have a notorious and scarey sound. You hear the pump and your pucker factor increase ten fold :) very accurate and deadly with a larger point of impact. Along with the nature of aiming a shotgun binging more control than a possibly flailing tendancies of a nervious shooter with a pistol.

My opinions on home defense are for the casual shooters and not the advanced shooters who have a lot of training.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Shotguns have a notorious and scarey sound. You hear the pump and your pucker factor increase ten fold :) very accurate and deadly with a larger point of impact. Along with the nature of aiming a shotgun binging more control than a possibly flailing tendancies of a nervious shooter with a pistol.

My opinions on home defense are for the casual shooters and not the advanced shooters who have a lot of training.
Exactly. My hobbies are eating and lifting weights :D Give me a scattered range buckshot so even if I miss you still bleed

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
That's an awesome way to get killed if you a have professional robber.

That barrel will announce your presence before you can aim it and it makes noise to chamber a round.....unless you have a huge house with no narrow corners/rooms which if the case, a lighter rifle would work..... on the higher end a full auto MP5 in a .9 or .45 will work, a semi auto AR-15 "Pistol" is next along with the sig .556 pistol or just a SIG P226 with a 20 round magazine full of GoldDot 147G HP or Federal Hydrashoks.
In that case, why don't I just pull out my ka-bar and get personal? If I'm going to be sneaking up on him.

I personally think, professional robber or not, if he has brains and hears that pump... he'll be looking for the exit.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
A nice dog joke to make this thread happy!

A teacher is explaining biology to her 4th grade students. "Human beings are the only animals that stutter," she says.

A little girl raises her hand. "I had a kitty-cat who stuttered," she
volunteered.

The teacher, knowing how precious some of these stories could become, asked the girl to describe the incident.

"Well," she began, "I was in the back yard with my kitty and the Rottweiler that lives next door got a running start and before we knew it, he jumped over the fence into our yard!"

"That must've been scary," said the teacher.

"It sure was," said the little girl. "My kitty raised his back, went 'Fffff, Fffff, Fffff'... and before he could say "FU*K", the Rottweiler ate him!"

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Boy most likely but i'm looking for a specific color moreso than gender. I want to get a black one.
Not sure if youve checked already, but there are some real nice Corso's available on petfinder.com available for adoption. Adopting expensive breeds like that is also much easier on the waller. I want a Boerboel, a Presa, and a Corso. Just need some land!

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Petfinder is nice, but even stil the adoption process is a bit much if you are not from that state the pup is advertised in. And It depends on the area you live in, Seems like the East and west coast have those dogs, not much for the midwest.

I saw one Boerboel in IL but where it was 3 hours away, def not a go. I love mastiffs in general, but now I am a GSD owner, so I wont have a mastiff in the very near future.

abish

abish

Awards
I can say from Experience that a Cane Corso is a great Breed. perfect with children and a great guard dog. But i would be careful on sits like petfinder as they always dont have the perfect specimen of the breed and can sometimes support puppy mills whos only goal is the money and not the preservation of the breed.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
I can say from Experience that a Cane Corso is a great Breed. perfect with children and a great guard dog. But i would be careful on sits like petfinder as they always dont have the perfect specimen of the breed and can sometimes support puppy mills whos only goal is the money and not the preservation of the breed.
How do they support puppy mills? All the dogs on petfinder are dogs in need of adoption.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
People gets these animals and pass them off as if they're abandoned. It's just mills tossing away pups using different families. The biggest reason for me is that I want to know the people who raised the animal. How they're treated early on can have a lasting effect on how they mature.

tabious

Awards
I want to buy a pitbull this year. Advice? I want it for mainly for protection. I am also trying to have a baby. What kind do you like and why?
OK, well here is the deal.....Coming from a breeder for quite some years now, I want to tell you that this breed, (the American Pit bull Terrier, which, with all due respect, should be referred to as, or APBT...saying "pit, pitty, pit bull, pitt" only feeds the negative thoughts to the media) is not for protection and IF you find one that is, or is supposed to be, 99% of the time, the breeder is selling anything he can stick together to make a litter. This breed was NEVER meant for human protection, although, there are many breeds for that.
This breed has gotten the bad rap that it has, because of irresponsible owners and uneducated media. People wanting to jump into buying this breed because they think it makes them look cool on the streets, or for home or family protection are not good reasons to own this breed.
This breed is, and should ALWAYS be human friendly, yes, even to strangers, yes, even ones approaching them in a car, or in their own yard, or in their own house. If you have one that is HA (human aggressive) chances are the dog has come from improper breeding, from a breeder trying make a buck.
All too often the wrong people get this breed for the wrong reasons, this puts not only the said dog at risk, but the breed as a whole, and the owner too.
There are many VERY REPUTABLE BREEDERS out there, where you can find a very well bred dog, that will be everything this breed stands for and much more, but it will not attack or even attempt to attack a human being. We have raised and bred this breed for many years and know a lot of the well known (big time) breeders. If you would like some kind of direction, PM me, and I will be more than happy to point you there.
Please keep in mind this breed is not for everyone, and there are many things that you will need to consider, not only for your own sake, but the dog's and the breed's as well.
1. Is there BSL in your area?
2. Will the dog be inside or outside? Keep in mind that this breed WILL find a way out (fence should be 6' at minimum) if given the chance.
3. Are you prepared for the responsibility this breed requires you to carry? This breed is DA and AA (dog and animal aggressive) they cannot be left alone with other dogs or animals and expected to behave themselves. NO matter how l long you have been doing it, or how great it has been going, there WILL come a point in this dog's life when he becomes DA naturally, you cannot train it out (regardless what some people will tell you, there is no such thing, it is genetic...you CAN manage it...but you cannot diminish it)
4. The tend to need more exercise than other breeds, and enjoy rougher sports, and longer durations of them.

If you still feel as though you would like this breed (which is a good choice, by all means, as long as you are prepared and know what you are getting into) then I suggest you do a little more research on the breed. If you would like pointers for very upstanding breeders in the APBT world PM me, and I will be glad to help.
Here is a site that I would strongly advice you to visit:
pitbull-chat.com
Please keep in mind.....some of the moderators there are quite the hot headed a$$holes type, BUT.....they have a great deal of knowledge at the same time.....(I know, I used to be a mod there)

Good luck to you! Congrats on your new baby!
Pm if you need!

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
^^ great post but I think alot of the people have told him the exact same thing except the dog and animal aggressive part.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
God damn the amount of ignorance in this thread is ASTOUNDING..

First off anyone who said get a different breed... EXACTLY!

Secondly people need to understand the difference between dog aggression, and HUMAN aggression.. They are not even close to the same thing..

I really didn't even read past the second page, as it was getting ridiculous..lol

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

Secondly people need to understand the difference between dog aggression, and HUMAN aggression.. They are not even close to the same thing..

I really didn't even read past the second page, as it was getting ridiculous..lol
Def true, my dog is not Human Aggresive but will Fock a squirrel or cat up if she could catch it. WIth other dogs she is good to a certain extent, she aint no punk though.

The ignorance is spread by the media, and what do you expect when they tell you steroids is the devil!!!:frustrate

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The ignorance is spread by the media, and what do you expect when they tell you steroids is the devil!!!:frustrate
That makes it all the more frustrating for me. We all know how it is to be stereotyped, or how annoying it is to hear the media, or someone uneducated on steroids/bodybuilding, spin them negatively, or even speak on them like they KNOW what they are talking about.

If you don't understand the history of something, or really have any true general knowledge on the subject, it is better off not talking about it.

tabious

Awards

No they are not. People tend to forget that dogs were domesticated by human, and it is part of what they are to be animal and or dog aggressive, especially this breed.

If people would close their mouth long enough to read and educate themselves, and quit being so naive and trusting about everything they hear on the radio or on television, they just may actually learn something.

When did people start relying on others for their self worth and knowledge? It is a shame what this world and the people in it have come to.

It will be a cold day in hell when I listen to and believe the media or general public on subjects and issues I have not yet researched or educated myself about beforehand.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Animal Aggresion and Dog aggression are 2 diff things. The Dog may have Human Aggression and no animal aggression, or no animal aggression but human aggression. Or they will have both aggressions.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Since this a dog lovers thread, I thought I would post this for other fellow dog lovers.

http://www.doglegislationcouncilcanada.org/donate.html

Hint: $30 CAD == ~$25 US

Here in Denver we already have BSL, pit bulls or anything that ~looks~ like a Pitbull are seized and exterminated.

Interesting link to show how easy it will be for someone to call your dog out as a pitbull:

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

Surrounding towns have additional breeds on their ban list (Cane Corso, Presa Canario, Dogo Argentino, etc.)

While this is Canadian specific legislation, it will come to a town near you...

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
If you want intelligent, hard-working, loyal above all else dogs for protection(as a deterrent or actual combat) Get a Belgian Malinois, Dutch Shepherd,German Shepherd, or Rottweiler (current for me). I have owned all of these dogs including a GS/Timberwolf and can tell you from experience; 1. People will move out of your way on the street,even if your dog is a puppy or is a big suck most of the time 2.People will AVOID your back yard entirely. 3.When confronted with dogs/people who act agressivly towards you, they will act agessive back. 4. Females tend to be more over protective, especially of children. 5.They are easy to train and love their master to death(my friends rotti/shep died fighting a bear that charged his master). Having said that there is always exceptions to my rules and observations, this is just my experience.You also need to be the type of person who exibits an "ALPHA MALE" personality so they know whos boss from the get-go. Also on a side note for any who want a wolf or hybrid for protection....they will defend their pack(your family) to the death...but they don't give a rats ass about your possessions lol.:laugh: