I’m just not that strong (yet)!

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
The in-laws are a big help there! My son loves it too
We’ve got an almost 5 year old, 2 year old and 11 month old…. The grandparents definitely help! My mom lives about 10 minutes away but it’s hard for her to watch all three by herself. They’re getting easier to babysit, most notably our little guy (11 month old).

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Happy almost birthday! Like that you've got a goal comp in mind.

Real question though - how close have you come, max, to 1000# club? Looking at the weights you posted early on you have about almost an 800# total. So no hate, just wondering if a 900# goal is more realistic? 200 extra lbs seems like a stretch. I'm all for going BIG or going home, but I'm chasing probably an 850-900# goal right, now so asking the question. Again, as we have a lot of similarities.

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
Happy almost birthday! Like that you've got a goal comp in mind.

Real question though - how close have you come, max, to 1000# club? Looking at the weights you posted early on you have about almost an 800# total. So no hate, just wondering if a 900# goal is more realistic? 200 extra lbs seems like a stretch. I'm all for going BIG or going home, but I'm chasing probably an 850-900# goal right, now so asking the question. Again, as we have a lot of similarities.
Haven’t got a clue honestly. I could use a 1rm calculator I suppose to get “maybe “ a ballpark. The thing I was leaning on although it’s been a few years is muscle memory. Good and valid points!

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Haven’t got a clue honestly. I could use a 1rm calculator I suppose to get “maybe “ a ballpark. The thing I was leaning on although it’s been a few years is muscle memory. Good and valid points!
Well, that's why I was asking. If you've hit higher totals getting you closer to the 1000# club, I think you could conceivably get back to it.

For me, my stats right now are roughly:

DL: 295# 1RM
BP: 215# assisted
Squats: 285# for reps, but 1 RM a long time ago was closer to 335#... still trying to get back to that.

So all of that above I'm estimating raw about now would be able to hit 805 give or take. But, I know I've also heard that on comp day your total number drops, since you have to perform all 3 lifts - not how we typically train. So anyways, those are just my musings this morning.

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
While leading up to my 2nd meet before hurting/tweaking my back I benched 255, squatted mid 3’s and pulled just over 400. I felt great and had a lot of momentum. I’m nowhere that now, but I feel like it’s doable. 🤷‍♂️

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established

BBM-PowerBuilding 1

Week 1, Day 1

Squat

worked up to 245x5 @8
Back off 230x5,5

Press
95x8,8,8

RDL
165x10,10

Lunges
3x12

Leg Raises
Lots

First four weeks of PB1 is working up in sets of 5, which then moves into working up to a single at an RPE8, with a back off sets at a triple, and sets of 5. Two days of conditioning and GPP (chin-ups) will be done at my convenience (after lifting, weekend). With yesterday being Easter this session felt good! Have a great day!

Last edited:
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
DL: 295# 1RM
BP: 215# assisted
Squats: 285# for reps, but 1 RM a long time ago was closer to 335#
My buddy is sorta like this. his squat is pretty much 1:1, if not higher, than his deadlift. blows me away.
My deadlift is always about 100+lbs higher than my squat.
actually more like 125-150lb higher. But my bench is usually like 90% of my squat lol

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established

BBM-PowerBuilding 1
Week 1

Bench (up to)
175x5 @8
165x5,5,5

Squat (up to)
175x10,10 @9

DB Row
3x 12, 12, 12

BW Dips
3x 8, 8, 8

Notes
* This workout was just kinda meh.
* Sets of 10 on squats even at my light weight sucks! Need to improve my overall fitness.
* SNS sleep assist comes in the next day or two. I really need to work on getting better quality sleep.
* Have a great day everyone!

Last edited:

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
@sns8778 you guys have some fast shipping. Got 3 cardio support and a sleep assist to try out! Thanks Steve!!

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
@sns8778 you guys have some fast shipping. Got 3 cardio support and a sleep assist to try out! Thanks Steve!!
Thank you. We do our best to get things shipped the same or next business day.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on Sleep Assist XT - start off with 1 or 2 caps - not many people will ever need to go any higher than that.

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
Thank you. We do our best to get things shipped the same or next business day.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on Sleep Assist XT - start off with 1 or 2 caps - not many people will ever need to go any higher than that.
Would you suggest 1 cap for me as my nearly one year old still isn’t sleeping thru the night consistently? I’m hoping it can at least help with sleep quality, and staying asleep/getting back to sleep quick if I have to get up with him. Thanks!

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Would you suggest 1 cap for me as my nearly one year old still isn’t sleeping thru the night consistently? I’m hoping it can at least help with sleep quality, and staying asleep/getting back to sleep quick if I have to get up with him. Thanks!
I would start off at 1 capsule for the first couple days and then you can try 2 capsules and see which you like best.

For me, my rule I go by for myself is 6 hours or less of sleep, I use 1 capsule; 8 hours I use 2 capsules.

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
I would start off at 1 capsule for the first couple days and then you can try 2 capsules and see which you like best.

For me, my rule I go by for myself is 6 hours or less of sleep, I use 1 capsule; 8 hours I use 2 capsules.
Missed this reply…. I took two caps right before bed, and I did wake up once cause little man cried for a second. Went back to sleep no problem. Get pretty good waking up! I’ll need a while to get “caught up” on sleep! Maybe when the kids move out! Lol

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Missed this reply…. I took two caps right before bed, and I did wake up once cause little man cried for a second. Went back to sleep no problem. Get pretty good waking up! I’ll need a while to get “caught up” on sleep! Maybe when the kids move out! Lol
2 caps per night is the most common dose - I don't get many hours to sleep, so some nights I just use 1 cap. But I like 2 caps the best for sure - helps me go to sleep and if I do wake up, helps me go back to sleep and helps my quality of sleep.

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established

BBM-PowerBuilding 1
Week 1, Day 3

Deadlift (top RPE as written)
255x5 @ 8
240x 5,5 @8

Close Grip
135x8,8,8 @8

Press (one set AMRAP@70% ,2@63%)
85x12
75x 12, 12

Notes:
Lots of pressing.
Good session overall.
Ran out of time, so tomorrow I’ll complete some GPP (conditioning, upper back, core)
Have a great day!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

BBM-PowerBuilding 1
Week 1, Day 3

Deadlift (top RPE as written)
255x5 @ 8
240x 5,5 @8

Close Grip
135x8,8,8 @8

Press (one set AMRAP@70% ,2@63%)
85x12
75x 12, 12

Notes:
Lots of pressing.
Good session overall.
Ran out of time, so tomorrow I’ll complete some GPP (conditioning, upper back, core)
Have a great day!
Nice session, good pulls!

Thanks!! Turned the big 4-2 yesterday…. Gotta keep my fitness up to keep up with our 4,2 and 11 month old!! My wife made a bunch of baby back ribs, and they were delicious! Hoping for some strong deadlifts this morning!
Happy birthday!!

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thanks!! Turned the big 4-2 yesterday…. Gotta keep my fitness up to keep up with our 4,2 and 11 month old!! My wife made a bunch of baby back ribs, and they were delicious! Hoping for some strong deadlifts this morning!
Ribs! That sounds like a well rounded day with the fam!
I’m 3 years behind ya. Let’s make these the best years

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
Well no GPP today. Sleep Assist and no alarm was a beautiful combo. Next Friday my son turns one so I’ll probably lift tomorrow morning. Friday will be a prep day for his bday party on Saturday. Hope you guys have a great afternoon!

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established

PB1 - Week 2, Day 1

Squat
255x5 @8-8.5
240x5,5,5

Press
100x8,8,8 (@8 on last set)

RDL
180x 10,10 @8

Lunge
3x13

Leg Raises
3x lots!

Notes….
1) Sleep Assist is legit….. 2 caps is sweet spot.
2) Stepped on the scale this morning…. 201….. wtf?! I need to clean that up.
3) Volume! This is more volume than I’ve done lately and I have been having DOMS for the first time in a while.
4) Supplement wise been using a pre-workout, an intra, creatine, Cardio Support, Fish Oil, protein here and there, Collagen and Sleep Assist
5) Our youngest turns one on Friday, where does the time go?
6) Teaching a Sunday School class with my wife today.

Have a great day!

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established

Week 2, Day 2

Bench
185x5 @8
175x5x4 sets

Squat
185x10, 10 @9

DB Rows
3x13

Plate Raise
3x12

Notes:
1) So I hit my top set of 5@8 from last week for 4 sets of 5 this morning…. Wondering if I undershot my top set today?
2) Almost out of my intra (Surge Workout Fuel), and am debating just getting a carb powder. Does it matter if I slam all my carbs with my pre, versus drinking them intra? I know it probably won’t make a big difference but just curious. I’d probably buy a bulk HBCD. PES came out with a HBCD and would need to do the math on price per serving.
3) That’s really all I’ve got this morning. Take care guys and have a great!

Last edited:
sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

Week 2, Day 2

Bench
185x5 @8
175x5x4 sets

Squat
185x10, 10 @9

DB Rows
3x13

Plate Raise
3x12

Notes:
1) So I hit my top set of 5@8 from last week for 4 sets of 5 this morning…. Wondering if I undershot my top set today?
2) Almost out of my intra (Surge Workout Fuel), and am debating just getting a carb powder. Does it matter if I slam all my carbs with my pre, versus drinking them intra? I know it probably won’t make a big difference but just curious. I’d probably buy a bulk HBCD. PES came out with a HBCD and would need to do the math on price per serving.
3) That’s really all I’ve got this morning. Take care guys and have a great!
My normal pre/intra when it comes to carbs and EAA's is 1 scoop of HBCD + Recover EAA and I drink half about 15 minutes before training and sip on the rest during. I don't think it makes a huge difference if you drink all of them pre though unless you train for a really long period of time.

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
My normal pre/intra when it comes to carbs and EAA's is 1 scoop of HBCD + Recover EAA and I drink half about 15 minutes before training and sip on the rest during. I don't think it makes a huge difference if you drink all of them pre though unless you train for a really long period of time.
I give myself about 60-70 minutes as I need to be done by 530ish (a.m).

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I give myself about 60-70 minutes as I need to be done by 530ish (a.m).
I'm not a morning person at all, so the only time I train early in the morning is if I'm going for maximum fat loss and will train with on an empty stomach - I still do my supplements, just not anything with a caloric value.

When I'm training for best results in building muscle or strength, I train at night bc I just naturally feel better.

Your dedication to training to get up and do it that early is commendable. I think you'd be fine to do your carbs pre or pre/intra in your case. You could try it both ways and see if you can tell a difference.

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
I'm not a morning person at all, so the only time I train early in the morning is if I'm going for maximum fat loss and will train with on an empty stomach - I still do my supplements, just not anything with a caloric value.

When I'm training for best results in building muscle or strength, I train at night bc I just naturally feel better.

Your dedication to training to get up and do it that early is commendable. I think you'd be fine to do your carbs pre or pre/intra in your case. You could try it both ways and see if you can tell a difference.
Thanks! I feel like my current life situation married, kids (4, 2, 1 year(s) old) gives me that specific time to get it in. I so wish I could workout right after school (get home by 3:00), but at that time I turn into husband/dad mode. So I slam a pre/ and drink an intra during the workout. I’ll buy some carbs and try drinking them with my pre, and see if it’s better/worse than what I’m currently doing.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thanks! I feel like my current life situation married, kids (4, 2, 1 year(s) old) gives me that specific time to get it in. I so wish I could workout right after school (get home by 3:00), but at that time I turn into husband/dad mode. So I slam a pre/ and drink an intra during the workout. I’ll buy some carbs and try drinking them with my pre, and see if it’s better/worse than what I’m currently doing.
Doing them that early - I would say it depends on your goal. If you're going for fat loss, I wouldn't. If you're going for muscle building and maximum strength and performance, I would.

A word on HBCD - be careful and buy from reputable brands. There are some brands that have been caught in testing mixing maltodextrin with it bc HBCD is so expensive. I personally have also had a allergic response to a trusted, shall we say, bag it/tub it brand and had an allergic reaction to gluten from it - which absolutely should have never been in a carb.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If your workout isn't too long and depending on how many carbs you want to consume you could just slam it all pre and be done with it.

My workouts usually extend beyond an hour so I usually drink half of what I want for the day before then sip the rest during my session.

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
Doing them that early - I would say it depends on your goal. If you're going for fat loss, I wouldn't. If you're going for muscle building and maximum strength and performance, I would.

A word on HBCD - be careful and buy from reputable brands. There are some brands that have been caught in testing mixing maltodextrin with it bc HBCD is so expensive. I personally have also had a allergic response to a trusted, shall we say, bag it/tub it brand and had an allergic reaction to gluten from it - which absolutely should have never been in a carb.
Currently using Surge Workout Fuel by Biotest. Maybe I’ll PM you about HBCD brands.

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established

PB1- Week 2, Day 3

Deadlift
Top Set 265x5 @8
Back off 250x5,5,5

Close Grip
145x8,8,8

Press
95x10 (70% AMRAP)
80x 12,12

Ab Wheel

Only week two of this template but I feel like there is some good momentum to build on. I believe there are a couple more weeks of working up to a 5@8, before moving to a 1@8 with some back off work. Psyched!

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I laugh every time I read your posts, because we could be the same person. Lol. My son just turned 4 a few days ago (I only have 2 rugrats though) and 5:15-5:30 AM wake ups are the only me time. Used to be an afternoon WO person many moons ago... cause I'm really not a morning person by choice.

But back to your carb question, I also lift fasted until I hit my intra-WO with carbs. I also use HBCD - Super Carb right now from NutraBio. Although I did just pick up PES VersaCarb which is Carb10 (just FYI if that's what you're looking at, so not HBCD). But generally my thought is it won't matter for you pre vs intra timing. Because I wake up, slam my pre / am finishing my pre partially during the warm ups and first few reps of my WO anyways. If you had actual time between waking up and hitting the gym (~20-30 mins before), then maybe it'd make a slight difference.

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
I laugh every time I read your posts, because we could be the same person. Lol. My son just turned 4 a few days ago (I only have 2 rugrats though) and 5:15-5:30 AM wake ups are the only me time. Used to be an afternoon WO person many moons ago... cause I'm really not a morning person by choice.

But back to your carb question, I also lift fasted until I hit my intra-WO with carbs. I also use HBCD - Super Carb right now from NutraBio. Although I did just pick up PES VersaCarb which is Carb10 (just FYI if that's what you're looking at, so not HBCD). But generally my thought is it won't matter for you pre vs intra timing. Because I wake up, slam my pre / am finishing my pre partially during the warm ups and first few reps of my WO anyways. If you had actual time between waking up and hitting the gym (~20-30 mins before), then maybe it'd make a slight difference.
I’ve also thought the same reading some of your log posts. How’s the shoulder doing? Hope the deload is helping.

I’m usually up by 4:00-4:10 and in the basement by 4:30. I have to be done by 5:30 to make breakfast, and shower. I’m a HS teacher so I have to be at school by 7:05.

I may try some carbs with my pre and intra… when I was prepping for my 2nd meet many moons ago I did carbs with my pre and in an intra shake. I’ve also considered trying VersaCarb just have never pulled the trigger.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Also forgot to mention today is my son’s first birthday! I’m staying home to celebrate little dude!
Happy Birthday to him. I hope that you have a wonderful day and great weekend.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’ve also thought the same reading some of your log posts. How’s the shoulder doing? Hope the deload is helping.

I’m usually up by 4:00-4:10 and in the basement by 4:30. I have to be done by 5:30 to make breakfast, and shower. I’m a HS teacher so I have to be at school by 7:05.

I may try some carbs with my pre and intra… when I was prepping for my 2nd meet many moons ago I did carbs with my pre and in an intra shake. I’ve also considered trying VersaCarb just have never pulled the trigger.
Oof, 4 AM wake up is worse than mine... shoulder's feeling fine. Honestly haven't even thought about it lately. Maybe PEA relief is helping here? Or it could just be the deload in general.

Happy birthday to your son! My kids' both celebrated this week as well. The parallels continue!!

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
Oof, 4 AM wake up is worse than mine... shoulder's feeling fine. Honestly haven't even thought about it lately. Maybe PEA relief is helping here? Or it could just be the deload in general.

Happy birthday to your son! My kids' both celebrated this week as well. The parallels continue!!
Our oldest has her birthday at the end of the month….. we are literally the same person! Lol 😂

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
So yesterday was my first lifting day of the week, and needless to say it was crap. Over the weekend we were very busy celebrating our youngest kiddo’s birthday. Woke up Monday very tired and decided I would go back to sleep and start my week on Tuesday. So basically my workout consisted of the following.

Squat up 260x5@8-9
Back off 245x5 (one set)

I unracked the bar for my 2nd set and it just felt incredibly heavy, so I pulled the plug. So then as a result I have the following thoughts floating in my head……

1) Did I air mail it in?
2) Have I overshot my RPE thus far?
3) Simply an off day and I should have worked with what I had…
4) Am I doing the right program?
5) How do I improve my recovery levels?

Honestly when I have a bad day, I always default to #4 which explains why I am at my current level of development. I’m calling myself out as a program hopper!!

Tomorrow is day #2 of the week, and I’m hoping that I’m back on track. Have a great day guys!

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I wouldn't stress it. As you get higher on the RPE scale it is going to be tougher to hit down sets of 4-6% drops anyways.

That is partly why I am a fan of intuitive/auto-regulated training with proper rpe/rir usage. On days I am doing well I may be doing more sets/reps and on days when it is just not there the volume will be lower. Different plans call for different approaches, so not saying this is what you should have done, but in my situation it would have probably been like still taking that next set and it probably just wouldn't have been 5 reps and just then using that to know it was time to pack it in for that movement for the day and then moving on.

Stick with the plan there will always be small ups and downs, no worries. Could answer more in depth to your 1-5s, but you might not need all that at the moment. :)

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't stress it. As you get higher on the RPE scale it is going to be tougher to hit down sets of 4-6% drops anyways.

That is partly why I am a fan of intuitive/auto-regulated training with proper rpe/rir usage. On days I am doing well I may be doing more sets/reps and on days when it is just not there the volume will be lower. Different plans call for different approaches, so not saying this is what you should have done, but in my situation it would have probably been like still taking that next set and it probably just wouldn't have been 5 reps and just then using that to know it was time to pack it in for that movement for the day and then moving on.

Stick with the plan there will always be small ups and downs, no worries. Could answer more in depth to your 1-5s, but you might not need all that at the moment. :)
Thanks for the response man, I really appreciate it. Yeah it was weird my set at 260 was difficult and maybe more like a 9-9.5. Where i struggle is that as I’m ramping up maybe I didn’t give myself enough warmup sets to assess how I was feeling for the day? 🤷‍♂️. I’m not against getting more feedback on my 1-5 haha!🤣

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So yesterday was my first lifting day of the week, and needless to say it was crap. Over the weekend we were very busy celebrating our youngest kiddo’s birthday. Woke up Monday very tired and decided I would go back to sleep and start my week on Tuesday. So basically my workout consisted of the following.

Squat up 260x5@8-9
Back off 245x5 (one set)

I unracked the bar for my 2nd set and it just felt incredibly heavy, so I pulled the plug. So then as a result I have the following thoughts floating in my head……

1) Did I air mail it in?
2) Have I overshot my RPE thus far?
3) Simply an off day and I should have worked with what I had…
4) Am I doing the right program?
5) How do I improve my recovery levels?

Honestly when I have a bad day, I always default to #4 which explains why I am at my current level of development. I’m calling myself out as a program hopper!!

Tomorrow is day #2 of the week, and I’m hoping that I’m back on track. Have a great day guys!
1. Mailing it in is fine - just like having especially good days, you will have days it’s just not there. So you just dial it down and do the bare minimum. That is not the same as quitting entirely. That is only the right move when injured or sick, or the session will be so compromised it should be postponed until it can be completed properly.

2. Probably not, as it sounds like you suspect recovery.

3. You should have (if not hurt or sick). Sometimes that means taking 20lbs off the bar, or cutting sets, or heavily trimming accessories. I have had days where I did ultimately just squat & leave, but it’s because I had emptied myself on them and taken so long there was nothing left.

4. If you generally vibe with the layout and it overall keeps you interested to show up, it’s a good program. **** programs can make great lifters if they believe in what they are doing & train hard. The best program on paper will not work though, if the lifter just goes through the motions. You have to want to progress that way, because it will get hard at times in ways that will challenge your resolve.

5. Get enough protein, calories, water, salt, and quality sleep to prepare for the next session’s demands. Try to minimize stress, & find relaxation/coping methods to help offset all of the inevitable stress life offers.

Recovery capacity varies wildly, but the older you get and the more you have on your plate you can expect to impact things. These are the tradeoffs we make - you cannot ignore them, nor allow them to become excuses. You must find a way to plan your training in a way that allows you to progress at the speed of your available recovery.

Sometimes that means doing less in a session, or less days per week, or frequency of exposure to a stressor. Or spreading out a training week (microcycle) wider than 7 days. Like you have 4 different training days in a microcycle, and every time you train you do the next day in the rotation. Instead of marrying the squat to a particular day of the week, you do it as the first session after completing bench day, for example.

Other times, you just have to suck it up and give it a fair go as written for a while. Most of us are not extremes/snowflakes, and will fall somewhere on the bulk of the genetic bell curve in training response.

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
1. Mailing it in is fine - just like having especially good days, you will have days it’s just not there. So you just dial it down and do the bare minimum. That is not the same as quitting entirely. That is only the right move when injured or sick, or the session will be so compromised it should be postponed until it can be completed properly.

2. Probably not, as it sounds like you suspect recovery.

3. You should have (if not hurt or sick). Sometimes that means taking 20lbs off the bar, or cutting sets, or heavily trimming accessories. I have had days where I did ultimately just squat & leave, but it’s because I had emptied myself on them and taken so long there was nothing left.

4. If you generally vibe with the layout and it overall keeps you interested to show up, it’s a good program. **** programs can make great lifters if they believe in what they are doing & train hard. The best program on paper will not work though, if the lifter just goes through the motions. You have to want to progress that way, because it will get hard at times in ways that will challenge your resolve.

5. Get enough protein, calories, water, salt, and quality sleep to prepare for the next session’s demands. Try to minimize stress, & find relaxation/coping methods to help offset all of the inevitable stress life offers.

Recovery capacity varies wildly, but the older you get and the more you have on your plate you can expect to impact things. These are the tradeoffs we make - you cannot ignore them, nor allow them to become excuses. You must find a way to plan your training in a way that allows you to progress at the speed of your available recovery.

Sometimes that means doing less in a session, or less days per week, or frequency of exposure to a stressor. Or spreading out a training week (microcycle) wider than 7 days. Like you have 4 different training days in a microcycle, and every time you train you do the next day in the rotation. Instead of marrying the squat to a particular day of the week, you do it as the first session after completing bench day, for example.

Other times, you just have to suck it up and give it a fair go as written for a while. Most of us are not extremes/snowflakes, and will fall somewhere on the bulk of the genetic bell curve in training response.
Very much appreciate your response. I was hoping you’d chime in. Given me lots of things to ponder, try to implement. Thanks again.

I feel like I had way more flexibility/willingness to do that when I was running my 5/3/1 template. Also part of me likes having a set # to hit. Maybe RPE isn’t my jam. I made the switch because I saw a lot of people arguing that 5/3/1 isn’t ideal for powerlifting. Which shame on me cause I was progressing and that’s the name of the game. You make a great point about buy-in.

Last edited: