I’m just not that strong (yet)!

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ya I mean everyone is different. The thing I'd keep in mind is auto-regulation and things like RPE are a tool, they aren't a "program". They are used as a tool to make sure training is in line with the intended stimulus you'd like to achieve. If it is something you've only recently started using I'd keep in mind it can take a bit to dial in the specifics, but to also not get too worried about it, at the end of the day it is used as a descriptor and to help with training decisions not something I'd try to get too worked up over.

That said if percentage based work is better for you or "clicks" with your mindset no problem sticking with what works for you. Just depends on the person, for some that may be the right path, whereas for me I've been down the auto-regulated rabbit hole for nearly a decade now because programs like 531 just didn't jive with my personal philosophies, preferences, recovery style, etc. Find what is your jam and stick to that if it is working. :)

Electrake

Electrake

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I love 531 for strongman and powerlifting lol. But like Resolve said, it isn't perfect for any one situation. I've been running "Negative Birth" for nearly a year now with some modifications as far as how it's setup (I superset supplemental work with assistance), and the lifts themselves I stray from what Our Lord and Savior Wendler recommends, besides the big 4 and rows. I love incorporating sand bags, stones if I have them, absolutely LOVE doing yoke work for endurance work. Heck, throw in an axle bar on occasion, I love Pendlay rows just at the point my grip can't keep up. The volume of this is very high however, and the intensity (read as weight) is right there with it. You HAVE to eat for recovery and muscle growth.

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
Ya I mean everyone is different. The thing I'd keep in mind is auto-regulation and things like RPE are a tool, they aren't a "program". They are used as a tool to make sure training is in line with the intended stimulus you'd like to achieve. If it is something you've only recently started using I'd keep in mind it can take a bit to dial in the specifics, but to also not get too worried about it, at the end of the day it is used as a descriptor and to help with training decisions not something I'd try to get too worked up over.

That said if percentage based work is better for you or "clicks" with your mindset no problem sticking with what works for you. Just depends on the person, for some that may be the right path, whereas for me I've been down the auto-regulated rabbit hole for nearly a decade now because programs like 531 just didn't jive with my personal philosophies, preferences, recovery style, etc. Find what is your jam and stick to that if it is working. :)
That’s a fair point. It’s been a minute since I’ve used RPE as a tool. I’m gonna chalk that day up for what it was, and keep on trucking.

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
I love 531 for strongman and powerlifting lol. But like Resolve said, it isn't perfect for any one situation. I've been running "Negative Birth" for nearly a year now with some modifications as far as how it's setup (I superset supplemental work with assistance), and the lifts themselves I stray from what Our Lord and Savior Wendler recommends, besides the big 4 and rows. I love incorporating sand bags, stones if I have them, absolutely LOVE doing yoke work for endurance work. Heck, throw in an axle bar on occasion, I love Pendlay rows just at the point my grip can't keep up. The volume of this is very high however, and the intensity (read as weight) is right there with it. You HAVE to eat for recovery and muscle growth.
Your point about finding what works stuck with me. I need to learn more about what works for me and doesn’t, and I don’t have enough really to justify it. Pre Covid I was using a template by BBM and I hit an almost 300 squat and mid 300’s deadlift. I remember having some off days, but I stuck with it.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Off days are just part of it, got to keep on powering on! If you follow my log at all you see I get them often as well. Also just noticed your in the same boat I’m in my little girl just turned 1 last month and my little boy will be here in late June/early July. So my only free time is 4:30 am to 6:30 am to get my sessions in. Hold fast and keep going man!! 💪🏻

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established

What got me excited today?

After considering the posts above I needed to be real with what was gonna get me excited to go to the basement at 4:30 and workout. Not what was optimal, or best…. Etc.

Here’s how today went, my goal was to work hard.

Deadlift
PR Set of 240x10
grip was slipping

Press / SS Bw Chins
80x5x5

Circuit
Plate Raise, Face Pull, Leg Raise
5x10

Bike sprint
5 @ 20s on/40s off

Thanks to all who took time to give thoughtful posts yesterday. You guys are much further along in your journey, and your feedback is much appreciated.

Have a great day all!

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

What got me excited today?

After considering the posts above I needed to be real with what was gonna get me excited to go to the basement at 4:30 and workout. Not what was optimal, or best…. Etc.

Here’s how today went, my goal was to work hard.

Deadlift
PR Set of 240x10
grip was slipping

Press / SS Bw Chins
80x5x5

Circuit
Plate Raise, Face Pull, Leg Raise
5x10

Bike sprint
5 @ 20s on/40s off

Thanks to all who took time to give thoughtful posts yesterday. You guys are much further along in your journey, and your feedback is much appreciated.

Have a great day all!
What type of grip do you use for deads, overhand, mixed?

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
What type of grip do you use for deads, overhand, mixed?
I stuck with overhand for this… used chalk and I maybe had another rep or two but if I had to drop it I didn’t want to wake up anyone. 🤷‍♂️

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Don't hesitate to use some straps on the higher rep sets if you feel grip is an issue, especially if you are just double overhanding it. Most people are going to have troubles lifting adequate weights with just a simple double overhand.

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
Don't hesitate to use some straps on the higher rep sets if you feel grip is an issue, especially if you are just double overhanding it. Most people are going to have troubles lifting adequate weights with just a simple double overhand.
Makes sense. I figured I would do reps until my grip was close failing. I usually do mixed grip when I get to a certain percentage/RPE.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Makes sense. I figured I would do reps until my grip was close failing. I usually do mixed grip when I get to a certain percentage/RPE.
I'm in a similar boat. Overhand until I get close to failure for grip strength, switch to mixed for heavier pulls (usually my working sets). Although, I do find that lately I am enjoying Overhand more from the feel/lat activation. I used to just do mixed grip.

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
So thinking if ways to increase my recovery my first thought is to reduce my caffeine. Thoughts on this? Do you guys limit caffeine after training? Do you have cut off times? Stop at a certain level of caffeine daily?

Thanks!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
So thinking if ways to increase my recovery my first thought is to reduce my caffeine. Thoughts on this? Do you guys limit caffeine after training? Do you have cut off times? Stop at a certain level of caffeine daily?

Thanks!
I usually have a pre workout most mornings, but like this week i did not. But I always have 2-6 cups of coffee. I have a cup when I get up then fill my little yeti and then that’s it for caffeine for me at about 8:30 am. If I have caffeine past noon it will hamper my sleep.
Do you supplement with vitamin D? It helps with recovery. I still need to go get my vitamin D levels checked but I am running 8,000 IU

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
I usually have a pre workout most mornings, but like this week i did not. But I always have 2-6 cups of coffee. I have a cup when I get up then fill my little yeti and then that’s it for caffeine for me at about 8:30 am. If I have caffeine past noon it will hamper my sleep.
Do you supplement with vitamin D? It helps with recovery. I still need to go get my vitamin D levels checked but I am running 8,000 IU
Am I understanding that you have a pre workout and 2-6 cups of coffee? If so wow!

I do take D3 via CardioSupport, and an additional 5K IU.

Electrake

Electrake

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Am I understanding that you have a pre workout and 2-6 cups of coffee? If so wow!

I do take D3 via CardioSupport, and an additional 5K IU.
I also have a STRONG cup of coffee off the bat, scoop of pre around noon, then ride out my day lol. I'm fairly sensitive to caffeine, my personal rule is none past 2pm to be passed out by 10pm

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Thanks!
You are correct - caffeine drives the sympathetic nervous system, which is great during training. As soon as that’s done, we want to focus on rest & digest/parasympathetic. Everything after that is going to largely be working against you.

I normally have preWO, then some coffee or an energy drink late morning and/or early afternoon. Just based on feel, work, opportunity. But I always cut it off by 5pm, because I sleep around 10 usually & that’s what works for me - the half life is much longer, but this works fine for me. I think most people need at least 8 hours pre-sleep. I am also substantially bigger than the average person.

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
You are correct - caffeine drives the sympathetic nervous system, which is great during training. As soon as that’s done, we want to focus on rest & digest/parasympathetic. Everything after that is going to largely be working against you.

I normally have preWO, then some coffee or an energy drink late morning and/or early afternoon. Just based on feel, work, opportunity. But I always cut it off by 5pm, because I sleep around 10 usually & that’s what works for me - the half life is much longer, but this works fine for me. I think most people need at least 8 hours pre-sleep. I am also substantially bigger than the average person.
I know you made that comment in an earlier post and it got me thinking.

So my usual plan is a pre workout 3-4 days per week. I work out at 4:30 am, and will usually have some caffeine around noon-1pm (coffee, energy drink, tea). Should I cutoff that caffeine since it’s after I workout? Or is the idea to just have enough of a time without caffeine to be able to sleep. Non training days should be low caffeine I’d assume. I need to better utilize caffeine because I feel like I’m in a loop, caffeine to poor sleep/recovery, need caffeine… etc.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I know you made that comment in an earlier post and it got me thinking.

So my usual plan is a pre workout 3-4 days per week. I work out at 4:30 am, and will usually have some caffeine around noon-1pm (coffee, energy drink, tea). Should I cutoff that caffeine since it’s after I workout? Or is the idea to just have enough of a time without caffeine to be able to sleep. Non training days should be low caffeine I’d assume. I need to better utilize caffeine because I feel like I’m in a loop, caffeine to poor sleep/recovery, need caffeine… etc.
This part comes down to what you want out of life, and how much you want to sacrifice for what I consider only marginal improvements. Note the difference between what I stated was optimal vs how I live my life. I make sure I can sleep well and on time, but otherwise I don’t worry about it. I want to enjoy my life. In the same way my food is probably 80% ‘clean’, I focus on the big picture.

I will say that if I am pounding lots of caffeine just to keep going through the day after training just to make it through, that does not feel like enjoying life - I know something is off. But I find that enjoying that cup of coffee or energy drink later on a regular day does make my day better, and I sleep great. Find your balance.

If you feel like a slave or caught in a loop, experiment with pulling back. If you are happy with how you sleep and feel overall, then life is good!

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
No reason to worry about limiting caffeine after your training in regards to recovery unless is is causing you issues with your sleep or some reason makes it so you are less likely to eat what you need to eat.

I do 150-200mg in the morning when I wake up and then usually similar again around 12-1 and am fine.

Keep in mind there are different ways some people metabolize caffeine so some may get issues with sleep at different amounts or cut off points, just try to find what the best balance is for you.

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established

Press 3’s Week
80x3
100x3
110x9 (3+ set)
*Superset with chins

Deadlift
195x5x5

Assistance Circuit
Plate Raise 4x12
Face pull 4x15
Pallof Press 4x20

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established

Bench
145x3
165x3
185x9 (3+set)

Squat
185x5x5

Assistance
DB Row 4x12
Push-up BW+20 4x12
Pallof Press 4x20

Notes
  • This week has felt great
  • Surprised at the “9” on my plus set today.
  • Next week my goal is to get at least 5 on my plus sets on the main lifts.
  • Still eyeing a fall PL meet, but trying to find one that is somewhat local. USAPL has some scheduled thru July it looks like. I’d like for my wife and daughters to be able to come.
  • Have a great day!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Shoot, I’m in Michigan.

Also, I should add that Michigan has them just not in my side of the state.
What’s really good is if you can get one within about 90 minutes - close enough you can just drive there the morning of (since most tested feds are same day 2-hour weighins) & back home fast afterwards.

I usually have to drive 2.5-4.5 hours and will be staying the prior in a hotel, due to 24 hour weighins.

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
What’s really good is if you can get one within about 90 minutes - close enough you can just drive there the morning of (since most tested feds are same day 2-hour weighins) & back home fast afterwards.

I usually have to drive 2.5-4.5 hours and will be staying the prior in a hotel, due to 24 hour weighins.
Yeah most are like two hours and change away…: I was spoiled in my first meet, it was like 30 minutes from my apartment.

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established

Squat
135x5
200x5
225x3
250x7 (1+ set)
275x1 (105% of TM/Joker Single)

Bench
155x5x5

Assistance
Weighted Pushup 4x12
Leg Raise 4x12
Row 4x12

Notes:
  • Squat single was like a 7-8 RPE, pumped to have hit that!
  • May start doing BW inverted rows on bench days.
  • Weighed 198.8 yesterday. I’d like to float around this weight. This is about 10 lbs heavier since I started this log in January. Probably from stress eating in February, and all the birthday parties we have in the spring.
  • I’ve accepted that 3 days per week is my sweet spot. I had full intention of getting a 4th day in last week and it didn’t happen. We celebrated our oldest turning 5 on Saturday, and yesterday we did NOTHING after church, lol.
  • Have a great day!

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Squat
135x5
200x5
225x3
250x7 (1+ set)
275x1 (105% of TM/Joker Single)

Bench
155x5x5

Assistance
Weighted Pushup 4x12
Leg Raise 4x12
Row 4x12

Notes:
  • Squat single was like a 7-8 RPE, pumped to have hit that!
  • May start doing BW inverted rows on bench days.
  • Weighed 198.8 yesterday. I’d like to float around this weight. This is about 10 lbs heavier since I started this log in January. Probably from stress eating in February, and all the birthday parties we have in the spring.
  • I’ve accepted that 3 days per week is my sweet spot. I had full intention of getting a 4th day in last week and it didn’t happen. We celebrated our oldest turning 5 on Saturday, and yesterday we did NOTHING after church, lol.
  • Have a great day!
Well, you're making some great progress already. You started looking at squats in the 240 range and have already hit 275. So muscle memory is definitely coming back!

Congrats on the kiddos birthday! Hope you had a great time with it.

I may also need to dial back the number of days I'm in the gym. Going hard for 5-6 days for the past several months I think is starting to take a toll. 4-5 may be more my sweet spot moving forward.

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
Well, you're making some great progress already. You started looking at squats in the 240 range and have already hit 275. So muscle memory is definitely coming back!

Congrats on the kiddos birthday! Hope you had a great time with it.

I may also need to dial back the number of days I'm in the gym. Going hard for 5-6 days for the past several months I think is starting to take a toll. 4-5 may be more my sweet spot moving forward.
We had a great time! Our oldest is what I’d call a strong willed child but she is a true blessing to our family.

My top/PR set was a grinder, but then my single was smooth. It’s the heaviest I’ve squatted since pre-Covid, which is kind of embarrassing but I’ll take it. I feel like some things have finally mentally clicked training wise, and I understand what I need to do!

Regarding your training yes, maybe less is more! Hope it helps!

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Congrats on the lift! Don’t be embarrassed ride the wave and try to keep building momentum.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like an awesome session and weekend. Glad your kids are thriving!

I think inverse rows are an excellent move - you can hardly go wrong throwing a few sets in between sets. They are surprisingly tough, but that goes for a high reward as well.

slimsaw00

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like an awesome session and weekend. Glad your kids are thriving!

I think inverse rows are an excellent move - you can hardly go wrong throwing a few sets in between sets. They are surprisingly tough, but that goes for a high reward as well.
Good session for sure! Kids are really doing great!

I was considering them to replace DB Rows. I have a single loadable DB which can hold 50lbs on it. I should probably get to 20 plus reps on that thing. Maybe I’ll do BW inverse rows Friday. 🤷‍♂️

Excited to see what I can hit for deadlifts and bench later in the week!