Hyde’s Strength Odyssey

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Those are repetitions of rotation/stirring in one direction. First set is 12 reps to the left, next set was 12 to the right. I have never done them but Brian Carroll has his strength athletes do them for reps - the goal to build up rep count towards 100

These were hard AF and an awesome builder.
Agreed. Deceptively hard they are!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/5/21
BW 231.0

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

GHR
3x20

DB Lunges
50x10
60x7 left knee said nope

Frontsquat
45,95,135,155,175x5

Laying Leg Curl
110x6
180x12,12,9 PR

Glute Bridge Machine
410x15 PR

Stir the Pot
2x13

Advanced my GHR & STP volume, moved into some new territory on the leg curl and glute machine, 40 more lbs on my frontsquat and the most I’ve touched since the meet & rehab began. Left knee was hurting and unstable significantly on the lunges so I cut it - that Legpress PR made it very stiff and it’s still not fully recovered obviously. Overall, progress!

Also, dig the new Grizzly meme shirt

IMG_5203.JPG

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Also, who thinks I should or shouldn’t spring for fat 2” handle db handles for the home gym? $70 shipped:

I am kinda thinking COVID is going to spike up again (already know 2 local friends sick with it here) and may well be doing more garage training soon to cut back some unnecessary exposure while wife is prepping for America’s. DBs above my 35s would be nice.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Also, who thinks I should or shouldn’t spring for fat 2” handle db handles for the home gym? $70 shipped:

I am kinda thinking COVID is going to spike up again (already know 2 local friends sick with it here) and may well be doing more garage training soon to cut back some unnecessary exposure while wife is prepping for America’s. DBs above my 35s would be nice.
Um yes. I also pick up a pair haha

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

Very fair price if solid. I think you should get them. You deserve them.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

I noticed and meant to mention, these bars are 1.9”, apparently a typical strongman size. Do you have collars that work for these? I’m thinking about a pair too — only problem is, I don’t have that many 10 lbs plates. 25s can be a little unwieldly.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

My brother started building his home gym about a year before COVID and by the time our BS started in WA he had a complete CrossFit gym built with air runner, ski erg, bike, everything. He and his wife actually got fitter in 2020 while most got fatter lol. So yes I agree with you that we could be looking at more drama in the near future and a home gym is probably a smart investment.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Um yes. I also pick up a pair haha
Did you really just order a pair?

I noticed and meant to mention, these bars are 1.9”, apparently a typical strongman size. Do you have collars that work for these? I’m thinking about a pair too — only problem is, I don’t have that many 10 lbs plates. 25s can be a little unwieldly.
I’m not sure there’s anything typical in strongman tbh; it’s generally just stuff guys like this welded up so variation are shows is about the only standard you can expect.

But I haven’t found anyone else selling oversized handles really, let alone affordably, and I don’t know any welders around here anymore to make me a fatter pair by buying a $30-40 pair off Amazon and having them weld a metal pipe over the collars and handles (which would probably cost more than $70 since they aren’t friends).

I think a regular pair of clamps may fit, but we have homemade metal clamps with a twistable set screw for our farmer’s handles I can use that should work fine if not.

My brother started building his home gym about a year before COVID and by the time our BS started in WA he had a complete CrossFit gym built with air runner, ski erg, bike, everything. He and his wife actually got fitter in 2020 while most got fatter lol. So yes I agree with you that we could be looking at more drama in the near future and a home gym is probably a smart investment.
Yeah I produced the best total of my life squatting & benching out of a rogue yoke with no safeties in the middle of our old little apartment’s living room to get ready for a meet last summer. I was doing deadlifts occasionally at a warehouse.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/6/21

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

Seated Press
45 3x5
95,135,185x5
195x4
205x3
215x2
225x1

Lat Pulldowns
187x14+5+3-4 rest pause

EZBar Upright Rows
100x8,10,12

Seated DB Rear Delt Flyes
30x15,12

DB Laterals
35x10
40x12

EZBar Curls
40,60,80x5
100x9

Stir the Pot
2x14

15 min walk with fam when I got home

Excellent start to a Friday morning! Pinned a full cc of the Stampede Carnitine/ATP/AMP blend after testing a half out last night for safety, and I felt like it did indeed let me maintain higher intensity at the back half of the session. Goal on strict curls was 7 reps; smashed 9 clean.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

Yeah man do it.
You could do curls in your undies.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
When you start going up in weight on the DB's you might want to look into Iron Master Adjustable DBs. I love mine, and the handles on them are noticeably thicker than most DB's. Plus one of the few sets of adjustable dumbbells that are drop safe by the way they are made. Not that it should be a goal but you know sometimes you have to bail.

I have been thinking about just wrapping my DB handles with some tennis racket handle grip tape to thicken the grips. I have also been planning on doing the same with the dip handles on my rack they have like a 1 or 1.25" circumference which digs in my palms and makes dips suck.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
When you start going up in weight on the DB's you might want to look into Iron Master Adjustable DBs. I love mine, and the handles on them are noticeably thicker than most DB's. Plus one of the few sets of adjustable dumbbells that are drop safe by the way they are made. Not that it should be a goal but you know sometimes you have to bail.

I have been thinking about just wrapping my DB handles with some tennis racket handle grip tape to thicken the grips. I have also been planning on doing the same with the dip handles on my rack they have like a 1 or 1.25" circumference which digs in my palms and makes dips suck.
this is where my experience handling a 1” circumference comes into its own 👌👌😂

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
this is where my experience handling a 1” circumference comes into its own 👌👌😂
Just in that case you definitely do not want to just grip it and rip it!!!!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Wrapping these with a bunch of tape could be a good idea to beef them up even further!

225, nice press!
Thanks, D. Not my best but feeling it back out - there was probably another 10lbs and I didn’t use any wraps or belt so it’s a good enough start. Will probably move to doing these at home with my axle before long.

I would like to be doing standing work, but it seems a little soon in the scope of the back rehab to risk.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Did you really just order a pair?

I’m not sure there’s anything typical in strongman tbh; it’s generally just stuff guys like this welded up so variation are shows is about the only standard you can expect.

But I haven’t found anyone else selling oversized handles really, let alone affordably, and I don’t know any welders around here anymore to make me a fatter pair by buying a $30-40 pair off Amazon and having them weld a metal pipe over the collars and handles (which would probably cost more than $70 since they aren’t friends).

I think a regular pair of clamps may fit, but we have homemade metal clamps with a twistable set screw for our farmer’s handles I can use that should work fine if not.

Yeah I produced the best total of my life squatting & benching out of a rogue yoke with no safeties in the middle of our old little apartment’s living room to get ready for a meet last summer. I was doing deadlifts occasionally at a warehouse.
I order yet but I have so many pairs of 10s and 5s. Maybe I’ll let you test them first

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

I’ve had a pair of fatgripz I’ve used for a couple years off and on (I believe you have a set as well?). Those DB handles look pretty badass though!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Buy what you can before it gets bad again and everything gets shut down. It's spiking here, and I'm pretty sure I have it now.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Crappy. Did you catch it the first time around as well?
No, I successfully avoided it until this past week. Someone I'm close to got me

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
No, I successfully avoided it until this past week. Someone I'm close to got me
Sorry to hear man. Hydrate like a maniac. I caught it the first time and I won’t lie, sickest I’ve ever been.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sorry to hear man. Hydrate like a maniac. I caught it the first time and I won’t lie, sickest I’ve ever been.
I'm not having many symptoms. Cough, fatigue, that's about it. I'm also vaccinated though. The friend who spread it is not, and she's got all the symptoms.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sorry to hijack, Hyde...

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’ve had a pair of fatgripz I’ve used for a couple years off and on (I believe you have a set as well?). Those DB handles look pretty badass though!
I do not. Years ago a buddy had them and we would use them some at the gym.

Buy what you can before it gets bad again and everything gets shut down. It's spiking here, and I'm pretty sure I have it now.
That’s my thought process. I know I want some Db handles eventually so if gyms close I would rather have what I need at home.

Sorry to hijack, Hyde...
No worries - based on what you are saying about so far and being vaccinated, I expect it to be alright for you. I’m not saying it will fix you, but if you wanted to get a script for Ivermectin PM me for an online doctor resource. They accept donations and are not paid by insurance so you can choose any amount to pay them - the first focus is getting people care.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/8/21
BW 230.2

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

Stir the Pot
2x15

Weighted V-Grip Chins
BW,+30,+50x5
+70(300lbs)x7 PR
BWx13

Incline Bench Chest-Supported DB Rows
90s 2x12

One-handed Bumper Plate Pinch Carry
45x1 trip to fail each hand

DB Farmer’s Carry
120/hand x2 trips with a turn, to failure

Chin-up strength is at an all-time best, and continuing to see progress in lots of things. I don’t know why I’m surprised - I learned many years ago my back does not respond to volume; it responds to FREQUENCY. PreWO combo after my bowl of proats w/ honey & raisins was 18oz day-old black coffee on ice, a cap of SNS Eria Jarensis, and 1cc of Stampede Carn/ATP/AMP. Felt like a bull on parade!

Wife is 8.5 weeks out from ASW and had her best strongman Sunday yet since she’s been back at it. Really picking it up and reaching hard to get stronger again. She has already successfully dropped from 185.6 down to 167.6 (-18.0lbs) & still zero supplements or PEDs. Currently still eating ~2,200 calories/day as well. Baby will only be nursed until the 12th, then it’s game on!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
8/8/21
BW 230.2

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

Stir the Pot
2x15

Weighted V-Grip Chins
BW,+30,+50x5
+70(300lbs)x7 PR
BWx13

90s 2x12

DB Farmer’s Carry

Chin-up strength is at an all-time best, and continuing to see progress in lots of things. I don’t know why I’m surprised - I learned many years ago my back does not respond to volume; it responds to FREQUENCY. PreWO combo after my bowl of proats w/ honey & raisins was 18oz day-old black coffee on ice, a cap of SNS Eria Jarensis, and 1cc of Stampede Carn/ATP/AMP. Felt like a bull on parade!

Wife is 8.5 weeks out from ASW and had her best strongman Sunday yet since she’s been back at it. Really picking it up and reaching hard to get stronger again. She has already successfully dropped from 185.6 down to 167.6 (-18.0lbs) & still zero supplements or PEDs. Currently still eating ~2,200 calories/day as well. Baby will only be nursed until the 12th, then it’s game on!
Damn boss, those chin-ups are blowing my mind! Really incredible. Way to stick to it!

Congrats to your wife!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
8/8/21
BW 230.2

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

Stir the Pot
2x15

Weighted V-Grip Chins
BW,+30,+50x5
+70(300lbs)x7 PR
BWx13

90s 2x12

DB Farmer’s Carry

Impressive chins mate!!

Yeah, every day is back day haha!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Extra rest day today since joints just did not feel up to lower body yet, so I pinned 200mg glutathione IM along with 0.375ml of the Super Shredder subq this morning. I can definitely handle the albuterol immensely better subq than as a preWO IM; barely notice it.

Already feeling immensely better. Sleep really is the greatest recovery tool.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah geting much needed sleep can really do a lot for healing.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/10/21

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

GHR
2x12

Squat
45x5
95,145x3
195x1

Frontsquat
145x10
165x15

Legpress
5pps x20

Short on time today; first backsquat in 8 weeks felt & moved terrific. Wore a Marvel comics tshirt and kept the pace high in honor of the Mountain Dog; soaked it through. RIP John Meadows - you will be greatly missed. This one was for you.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I know, it is hard to believe about John Meadows. What a true loss the to community as a whole. I think I may have to go back and run through one of his workouts here soon. I think my body is about ready for it. Maybe a few adjustments...

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/11/21
BW 230.6

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

Jigsaw body, hip stretches
Band Facepulls & Tri Pressdown

Bench
45 2x5
95,135,185,235,265,285x5
305x4 (missed on 5th rep)

CGBP
225,235,245x9

Extreme humidity in the garage this morning had things feeling heavy. Still, I really wanted to work north of 300 today & committed to the set of 5. I don’t normally believe in risking a miss in training, but this was a gut check - very satisfied with my fight! I was decimated after that.

Freakin’ love that new powerbar! Iron grip with no chalk while pouring sweat.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
8/11/21
BW 230.6

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

Bench
45 2x5
95,135,185,235,265,285x5

CGBP
225,235,245x9

Extreme humidity in the garage this morning had things feeling heavy. Still, I really wanted to work north of 300 today & committed to the set of 5. I don’t normally believe in risking a miss in training, but this was a gut check - very satisfied with my fight! I was decimated after that.

Nice pressing! Can’t beat that new bar feeling where you can accrue callouses from just benching. Beautiful I say.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
8/11/21
BW 230.6

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

Bench
45 2x5
95,135,185,235,265,285x5

CGBP
225,235,245x9

nice benching

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Just sharing this here for a bit more visibility. Gofundme memorial for John Meadows’ wife and young sons - anything you can give will help them out, and none of it goes to Gofundme; you can choose to tip the service if you wish but all of your donation goes to the family.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Wife just got home from a fresh Inbody scan since today is Day 1 of her cycle & supplementation beginning for the next 8 weeks until ASW.

In the last 4 weeks, she has dropped 8lbs of total bodyweight, gained almost 2lbs of skeletal muscle, and her bodyfat percentage has dropped 5.4% - completely naturally. She probably used 100mg of caffeine 2x a week before her hardest sessions; she couldn’t use any supplements because of the breast feeding. We were pretty blown away, but it shows what is capable with a consistent diet of healthy foods and introducing hard strength training back into the mix! Truly transformational.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/13/21

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks
Kb Suitcase Carries

Weighted Yoke Pull-ups
BW,+20,+35x5
+50 2x5, 1x7

Axle Powerclean from 4” blocks
95x5,3
115,135,145x3

Axle Bent-over Rows from 4” blocks
145,165x15

Axle Strict Curls
45,75,95,100,105x6

Axle Cheat Reverse Curls
95x6

“Gonna take you by surprise as it rises!

Can you feel the pulse?
Can you feel the heat rising from below?
Can you feel the energy - gaining strength, oh so slowly??

But I’ll wait...I’ll wait...till the seasons change.
I’ll wait...I’ll wait... till the fall comes!”

Last edited:
MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice work, this one looks fun and also like a painful forearm pump!!!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/14/21

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

Squat
45,95,145,185,235x3

Frontsquat
185 3x5

Hi-handle Trapbar
135,185,215x10

Axle Seated Press
45,95,145,190x5
200x4
210x3
220x2
230x3

Sandbag Clean & Press
100 3x3

Standing DB PRESS
35 2x30

Squat is feeling really good; easier every time even with more weight. Really everything felt very easy today, which is an excellent place to be.

No more lifting until after bloodwork Tuesday morning. Wasn’t able to get in right after my meet to check out maximal damage, and it’s been 9 weeks post comp so I NEED to check things out because they should be looking great right now. Been 4 months since the last look.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
229.4lbs this morning; slowly leaning. Strength has been great. No idea how much muscle my legs have lost while rehabbing, but it’s a necessary rebuild for my back & they looking decent at 27.5-28” circumference (if kinda smaller).

Really having fun with training now that I am getting into some heavier work & beginning to squat again!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Looking good here! Nice benching and pressing and good to see you’ve reincorporated squats.

Some nakeds to show off that lean, mean physique are overdue!

Props to your wife. I had no idea she was breastfeeding while preparing for meet — extraordinary!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Looking good here! Nice benching and pressing and good to see you’ve reincorporated squats.

Some nakeds to show off that lean, mean physique are overdue!

Props to your wife. I had no idea she was breastfeeding while preparing for meet — extraordinary!
Thanks; the baby definitely takes a toll on energy & time no doubt. Wife was down to 164.4 this morning!

I fasted for about 22 hours yesterday, took a nice 50 min walk in the sun plus helped with all of the strongman training for several hours outside later, ate ~2,300 clean calories last night and woke up 229.0. Planning on some more intermittent fasting today to continue resting for bloods tomorrow morning.

Nothing worthy of nudes; you aren’t going to notice a 2lb change on me lol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Wifey is dropping nicely, you ain't doing bad yourself!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/17/21
BW 228.0

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks
Rear Delt Flyes

Stir the Pot
2x16

Bench (on super short commercial bench)
135x8
185x5
225,255,275,295x3
315 2x2

Incline Bench
205,225,245x5
250x4

Standing DB Press
50 4x15

EZBar Overhead Tri Extension
80 2x10 elbow said no way

Dropped another pound in another day, so not exactly surprised 315 was crazy heavy (I had planned triples with it). Bloodwork before work meant moving training to after, and the garage was an oven so I chose the commercial gym for AC - which meant a crappy 12” bench height. You can’t have it all!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/18/21
BW 229.0

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

V-grip Chin-ups
BW,+15,35,55x5
+75 (304lbs) x6 PR

Incline Bench DB Chest-supported Row
90 2x15

DB Laterals
35,40x12

Seated DB Rear Delt Flyes
35 2x10

DB Hammercurls
40,50,55x8

Up early at the gym today less than 12 hours after last night, and struggled to keep it in top gear today. Still, pleased with the progress on weighted chins as well as getting back to incline rowing the 90s for 15 reps again.