Hyde’s Strength Odyssey

theswede

theswede

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
about a year before COVID my 24hr gym put in a huge olympic lifting area with 8 platforms, squat racks and all Eleiko barbells and bumpers. it blew my mind because prior to that only my CrossFit gym had invested in Eleiko.

that said, COVID killed that gym permanently. :sadface:

It really was sad to lose that gym though. for over a decade I saw the same people in there in their same shifts. (I sometimes did before work 5am crew, sometimes after work 4pm crew. ) those peeps never got any fitter. the morning crew was always way over weight. but it was their social hour before the day started I think and I still had some respect for them and their habit.
Not to get too off topic, but where the **** is our administration???? I mean all these assholes up there keep talking about student loan forgiveness. But where is the small business loan forgiveness? Millions literally lost their businesses and their income because of the bullshit shutdowns but it’s as if our administration has not even noticed. It’s these businesses that keep our economy afloat.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
your neck appears to be thicker than mine or I'm measuring wrong. Usually I can measure things to be bigger than they actually are lol.

I do wear a 16.5 neck in shirt size but I'm pretty sure it was sub 16" when I measured today.
My neck is just around 16” but I wear a 16.5” bc of my alien upper traps.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Thanks for the kind words gents!

This would be an InBody bioelectrical impedance. No abs showing at all so I suspect it’s fairly accurate.

Neck is 18”. Fortunately it’s fairly long to help offset my traps, which have always been pretty substantial responders.

Arms are 17” or so cold. Can’t remember my wingspan, but I have ape arms for sure.
You look leaner than that to me. Maybe no overt abs, but you can see the structure. (Actually, I can see your obliques. I’m pegging you at 18%.) You don’t have any meaningful chunk on you. Anyway, you look like a massive, moderately lean freak of nature!!!

Last edited:
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
it's insane to think about the Austrian Oak sporting 22" arms considering your guns look like .50 cal death machines. you hold some awesome size in the biceps, shoulders, and quads for sure. even at that BF you carry it really well. I forget how old you are but I tend to hold the worst flappy fat at or just below the belly button and yours looks far better. what do you think you'd weigh at a sub 10% cut?

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
This is what 105kg/231lbs at 22.3% bodyfat is looking like flexed on me currently:

View attachment 207147

Not optimal lighting, but that’s about as good as it gets presentation-wise besides not spreading my lats out fully or trying to entirely vacuum my stomach.

3,2-3,300 calories per day has been slowly dropping weight.
You’re massive as hell! One big bear.. I can’t believe you’re saying your arms are 17 inches... mines at 17.5 in the morning and bro yours are looking twice as big... they look like 20s

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
it's insane to think about the Austrian Oak sporting 22" arms considering your guns look like .50 cal death machines. you hold some awesome size in the biceps, shoulders, and quads for sure. even at that BF you carry it really well. I forget how old you are but I tend to hold the worst flappy fat at or just below the belly button and yours looks far better. what do you think you'd weigh at a sub 10% cut?
Age 31, 5’10” for reference. Front delts have always been a strong point, mass-wise (the opposite of my pecs). I have nearly always done some kind of overhead strict work the last decade too.

The math tells us I would be ~200lbs at 9% bf, provided I could retain every ounce of muscle while shedding 31lbs of fat - unlikely!

You’re massive as hell! One big bear.. I can’t believe you’re saying your arms are 17 inches... mines at 17.5 in the morning and bro yours are looking twice as big... they look like 20s
Thanks Math. No bodybuilder, but there’s definitely some quality dense muscle under that blubber. Like a wooly mammoth!

I’ll try to remeasure, but I know they aren’t bigger than 17.5”.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Age 31, 5’10” for reference. Front delts have always been a strong point, mass-wise (the opposite of my pecs). I have nearly always done some kind of overhead strict work the last decade too.

The math tells us I would be ~200lbs at 9% bf, provided I could retain every ounce of muscle while shedding 31lbs of fat - unlikely!

Thanks Math. No bodybuilder, but there’s definitely some quality dense muscle under that blubber. Like a wooly mammoth!

I’ll try to remeasure, but I know they aren’t bigger than 17.5”.
Dustin just wants us all to suffer with him as he cuts on his starvation diet!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Congrats on the benching, and I agree with you, your composition measurement looks pretty spot on. Most people really underestimate their body fat levels. Heck I am probably 15% in my avatar, no less than 12%.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
F*ck I have to start training harder. And eating more! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!

100kg x35 reps on Lat Pulldowns baby
All those pull-ups are paying dividends! That’s damn impressive.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Form nazis commenting in 3, 2, 1……..

Straight savage power in that tank bud
If you’re that strong, you’re entitled to cheat, I suppose. But for the love of god, no bar pad while benching, lol.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
If you’re that strong, you’re entitled to cheat, I suppose. But for the love of god, no bar pad while benching, lol.
the only time I've giving someone a pass on the bar pad/tampon thing is with a zercher squat, but... I hate those anyways so I might give you **** for doing them too lol

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
the only time I've giving someone a pass on the bar pad/tampon thing is with a zercher squat, but... I hate those anyways so I might give you **** for doing them too lol
If it’s an actual bench pad, a shoulder saver for an actual injury or injury prevention, that’s fine by me. But I don’t know about the kind some people use for squatting.

I’ve seen big strong fat guys use them at 24 hr, often on the decline, to get extra reps at 315+. I respect the strength, but the form, not so much.

But I’m no form police and certainly have resorted to bad form to get the weight up. Still counts to me.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Kyriakos is absolutely on another level; a total barbarian. If you read some of the comments, when he was young he snatched 396 & clean & jerked 484 before he picked up some knee injuries and such, as well as benching in the 550-600 range when powerlifting later.

Not many 47-year-olds able to Zercher hold 800lbs, or do box jumps holding 330lbs. Probably exactly zero other guys at that age, to be more accurate. Nick Best probably could have, but not all the other stuff.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
7/30/21
BW 230.8

10 min walk
McGill Big 3

Seated Press
45,95,145,165,185,195x5

Weighted Chins
BW, +25, +45 x5
+65 x6 PR

Lat Pulldowns
165x12
209x8
231x5

Incline Bench Chest-supported DB Rows
90 2x10

EZBar Curls
60,80x5
100x6

Lateral Raises
35x12
40x9

Hammer Curls
45x12

Seated DB Rear Delt Flyes
35x15 + 5 (not full ROM)

Hard ‘n heavy. Really loved this session.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
7/30/21
BW 230.8

10 min walk
McGill Big 3

Seated Press
45,95,145,165,185,195x5

Weighted Chins
BW, +25, +45 x5
+65 x6 PR

Lat Pulldowns
165x12
209x8
231x5

Incline Bench Chest-supported DB Rows
90 2x10

EZBar Curls
60,80x5
100x6

Lateral Raises
35x12
40x9

Hammer Curls
45x12

Seated DB Rear Delt Flyes
35x15 + 5 (not full ROM)

Hard ‘n heavy. Really loved this session.
Dang, moving some poundage there! Impressive, including that seated press. Also, amazing chin-up PR!

Last edited:
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
@Hyde remember Pat Mendez?

Louie Simmons always really impressed me by how strong he stayed over the years

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Something truly awesome arrived today…

IMG_5173.JPG

IMG_5171.JPG

IMG_5172.JPG
IMG_5174.JPG

IMG_5175.JPG

Rogue has nothing on your packing skills @wfreiling!!!

This man GAVE me this beautifully knurled ISF 29mm bare steel 20kg powerbar. I was talking to him about looking for a used serious bar in my area, and he offered this up for free out of the goodness of his heart. Being we live so many states apart that driving was cost (and time!) prohibitive, he went out of his way to gangster wrap this in armor and have it shipped to me (for barely half what the drive would have cost, assuming I had the time away from home with a baby).

It’s beautiful; I wish the pictures could show how excellent & powerful it feels in the hand. I am more than excited to use it! Thank you @wfreiling for the incredible generosity - it is truly appreciated. This power bar will have a good home here, don’t doubt that!

IMG_5178.JPG

Attachments

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Something truly awesome arrived today…

View attachment 207208
View attachment 207209
View attachment 207210View attachment 207211
View attachment 207212

Rogue has nothing on your packing skills @wfreiling!!!

This man GAVE me this beautifully knurled ISF 29mm bare steel 20kg powerbar. I was talking to him about looking for a used serious bar in my area, and he offered this up for free out of the goodness of his heart. Being we live so many states apart that driving was cost (and time!) prohibitive, he went out of his way to gangster wrap this in armor and have it shipped to me (for barely half what the drive would have cost, assuming I had the time away from home with a baby).

It’s beautiful; I wish the pictures could show how excellent & powerful it feels in the hand. I am more than excited to use it! Thank you @wfreiling for the incredible generosity - it is truly appreciated. This power bar will have a good home here, don’t doubt that!

View attachment 207214
Enjoy it homie! It’s a beautiful bar but as I told you, I don’t need 3 power bars haha. I’m just glad it got to you safely

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh wow, it is beautiful! Good on you, @wfreiling!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
7/31/21
BW 232.8

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

Bumper Pinchgrip Suitcase Carries
45x~60ft/side

KB SLDL
53x12/side

KB Deadlift
53/hand x5,10

Bumper Front Carry (Husafell style)
135x180ft
180x120ft

GHR
3x19

Legpress
2pps x12
4x10
6x8
8x6
20 second rest pause:
9x17+5 PR

DB Split Squat
BWx12
+50/hand 2x10

Smashed a bunch of delicious sushi yesterday post training and it paid out tonight. Got to have 2 spotters on the legpress and was able to go full berserk - this was a big lifetime PR. The incredible part was the total lack of lactic acid burn coming up on true muscle failure at rep 17 and the fifth rep after the brief pause - I am totally sold on L-Carnitine for performance enhancement.

4 weeks ago I did 9 plates for 12 and had to stop due to the terrible burn making me think I was at near failure; now I can train right past that because it’s not present.

theswede

theswede

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
7/31/21
BW 232.8

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

Bumper Pinchgrip Suitcase Carries
45x~60ft/side

KB SLDL
53x12/side

KB Deadlift
53/hand x5,10

Bumper Front Carry (Husafell style)
135x180ft
180x120ft

GHR
3x19

Legpress
2pps x12
4x10
6x8
8x6
20 second rest pause:
9x17+5 PR

DB Split Squat
BWx12
+50/hand 2x10

Smashed a bunch of delicious sushi yesterday post training and it paid out tonight. Got to have 2 spotters on the legpress and was able to go full berserk - this was a big lifetime PR. The incredible part was the total lack of lactic acid burn coming up on true muscle failure at rep 17 and the fifth rep after the brief pause - I am totally sold on L-Carnitine for performance enhancement.

4 weeks ago I did 9 plates for 12 and had to stop due to the terrible burn making me think I was at near failure; now I can train right past that because it’s not present.
Heck yeah man! I remember us chatting about injectable l-carnitine back in the winter/early spring. I simply love it and can’t wait to get some more. Glad you’re enjoying it too!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Well done, stud!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
9pps. God, that sounds expensive.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/2/21

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks
Band Facepulls & Tri Pressdown

Bench
45,95,135,185,225,245,265,275,285,295x5

Reverse Grip Bench
225,245,265x6 PR

Standing DB OHP
35 2x25

Monster Miniband Pressdown
100 reps unbroken

Feeling pretty stiff & blasted from Saturday evening’s leg training. Not surprising, but a reminder that there’s no replacement for displacement - didn’t stop things from moving well this morning!

The new power bar feels tremendous, like an extension of my body. The heavy knurling definitely helps inspire some confidence on the reverse grip hold.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
8/2/21

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks
Band Facepulls & Tri Pressdown

Bench
45,95,135,185,225,245,265,275,285,295x5

Reverse Grip Bench
225,245,265x6 PR

Standing DB OHP
35 2x25

Monster Miniband Pressdown
100 reps unbroken

Feeling pretty stiff & blasted from Saturday evening’s leg training. Not surprising, but a reminder that there’s no replacement for displacement - didn’t stop things from moving well this morning!

The new power bar feels tremendous, like an extension of my body. The heavy knurling definitely helps inspire some confidence on the reverse grip hold.
Nice benching and glad you like the sweet power bar. I expect you’ll continue to smash PRs on reverse grip and the poundage will continue to creep up on your regular bench. At one time, mine were about the same. Keep up the good work!

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yeah that’s why the commercial gym has it and not my garage! And the general cost and size of a commercial Legpress, of course.
I almost got one for $300 but was about a day too late

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Killing it in here, as usual!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
IMG_5188.JPG

Super excited for these! Turbocharged carnitine preWO blends for training days I want some extra horsepower, and Cerberus’s newest salts!

Of all the salts I have ever bought, only Cerberus’s have lasted YEARS without dying.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Where did you pick those up?

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Both brands are direct from the vendor websites - lots of goodies on both
****, that place is like a candy store! I didn’t know anyone in the US was stocking a lot of this stuff anymore. Wish I weren’t such a chicken ****.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
****, that place is like a candy store! I didn’t know anyone in the US was stocking a lot of this stuff anymore. Wish I weren’t such a chicken ****.
I mean the one on the right literally looks like jolly rancher flavor lol

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Strictly for research and development of course 🧐

I mean the one on the right literally looks like jolly rancher flavor lol
Lol that’s the B12 in the mix - I can only imagine how awful this would taste if someone tried to ingest it!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/3/21

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

Stir the Pot
2x12

Widegrip Pulldown
110,165x12

Pull-ups
4x10

Light Hammercurls
Bicep, Forearm, Shoulder stretching

Well, today I learned the Super Shredder blend is absolutely not for pre-training!!! I have never used Albuterol (only clen), but I hoped 1mg in a half cc shot would just add some pop - within 5 minutes of pinning it IM my heart was absolutely pounding, and stayed jacked up for 90-120 minutes. Just impossible to recover between sets or do much more than walk, so I took it as a light day for some pull-ups and mobility.

That blend will be reserved for off days and pinned subq going forward.

I was feeling very smashed up last night, so I pinned some BPC subq in my left elbow skin, put Helios on my swollen knees, and tried Amino Asylum’s glutathione: 400mg/2cc’s IM in my glute before bed with 200mg carnitine subq to shuttle it. Woke up with a lot of the joint pain gone. Pretty happy about that. Being forced to keep today easy will probably help build on that, as well as rest day tomorrow. Planning BPC next couple days as well.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
8/3/21

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

Stir the Pot
2x12

Widegrip Pulldown
110,165x12

Pull-ups
4x10

Light Hammercurls

Well, today I learned the Super Shredder blend is absolutely not for pre-training!!! I have never used Albuterol (only clen), but I hoped 1mg in a half cc shot would just add some pop - within 5 minutes of pinning it IM my heart was absolutely pounding, and stayed jacked up for 90-120 minutes. Just impossible to recover between sets or do much more than walk, so I took it as a light day for some pull-ups and mobility.

I was feeling very smashed up last night, so I pinned some BPC subq in my left elbow skin, put Helios on my swollen knees, and tried Amino Asylum’s glutathione: 400mg/2cc’s IM in my glute before bed with 200mg carnitine subq to shuttle it. Woke up with a lot of the joint pain gone. Pretty happy about that. Being forced to keep today easy will probably help build on that, as well as rest day tomorrow. Planning BPC next couple days as well.
You are quite the scientist.

Still a solid session. And those are some impressive and inspiring big-man pull-ups — more than I can do, for sure.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
8/3/21

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

Stir the Pot
2x12

Widegrip Pulldown
110,165x12

Pull-ups
4x10

Light Hammercurls

nice ab work with stir the pot. One of my favourites

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You are quite the scientist.

Still a solid session. And those are some impressive and inspiring big-man pull-ups — more than I can do, for sure.
Just call me Dr. Jekyll…

nice ab work with stir the pot. One of my favourites
I have never even tried them, but they were incredible - excellent builder for sure and looking forward to implementing them further.

theswede

theswede

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
View attachment 207311

Super excited for these! Turbocharged carnitine preWO blends for training days I want some extra horsepower, and Cerberus’s newest salts!

Of all the salts I have ever bought, only Cerberus’s have lasted YEARS without dying.
Holy smokes! What is this “Stampede” product???

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Holy smokes! What is this “Stampede” product???
L-carnitine with added ATP and AMP.

ATP is used for cellular energy. It’s just extra gas. Creatine is used to store more ATP in your muscle cells, so they have a bit more energy for bigger exertions.

AMP is the interesting part. They give it to race horses IM precontest because it lowers heart rate and chance of strain during high exertion. It sends more blood to muscles (and the heart, accordingly) which means more nutrients and oxygen to work harder. Like I said, it lowers heart rate - they use it medically intravenously to STOP your heart temporarily if in tachycardia. If you pin it IV you can have a heart attack or heart rate can fall lethally, so it’s important to understand the usage.

I mean it’s safe used correctly, but just like you can buy powdered caffeine there must be educated use. AMP is for intramuscular application and the dosage necessary is very small.

This would not be as good for powerlifting very low rep training, but would be great for lower rest higher volume bodybuilding, a day with a 20-rep widowmaker squat/legpress, strongman event training for 60 second sets or carry-load events & medleys, crossfit.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Pinned 0.25 of the Super Shredder subcutaneously this morning. Took about 20 minutes or so to start feeling but pretty night and day difference with half the initial dose and slower release. I can tell my heart rate is elevated some, but it’s very mild by comparison.

I’ll continue to experiment with bigger doses subq, as well as probably try this dose IM sometime.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
8/3/21

10 min walk
Bird Dogs
Side Planks

Stir the Pot
2x12

Widegrip Pulldown
110,165x12

Pull-ups
4x10

Light Hammercurls

Stirring the pot is humbling. I never did them until that trest/tren block (which ended up COVID ending all meets) and coach implemented. Can you elaborate on the numbers listed? I always did them vs time clock.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Stirring the pot is humbling. I never did them until that trest/tren block (which ended up COVID ending all meets) and coach implemented. Can you elaborate on the numbers listed? I always did them vs time clock.
Those are repetitions of rotation/stirring in one direction. First set is 12 reps to the left, next set was 12 to the right. I have never done them but Brian Carroll has his strength athletes do them for reps - the goal to build up rep count towards 100

These were hard AF and an awesome builder.