Hyde’s Strength Odyssey

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Get that belt back on now and start accommodating to that. Every contest in the world allows a belt, and you will be safer and stronger for it. I bet I get 50lbs out of my belt!
Ya I’m in it for the long haul. Trying to stay beltless this whole training cycle, it’s almost more of a mental thing right now trying to just re-prove to myself I don’t need a belt, fancy shoes, sleeves, etc.

Hoping to inch closer to a 3x body weight pull here soon too!

This log always helps serve some good motivation.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Oh boy, I should try these. I have not done them with the SSB yet. Hell I might go home and do some lower body tonight. Feeling motivated.
Oh man seriously?? Once you do them with an SSB, you’ll never wanna go back to a barbell for GMs!

Hyde does that. I’ve hit some PRs recently. I love following his progress.
Glad to hear it. We all have greater potential than even we ourselves realize.

Ya I’m in it for the long haul. Trying to stay beltless this whole training cycle, it’s almost more of a mental thing right now trying to just re-prove to myself I don’t need a belt, fancy shoes, sleeves, etc.

Hoping to inch closer to a 3x body weight pull here soon too!

This log always helps serve some good motivation.
I don’t want to damn you to my failures, but in the past I would push RPE way too high on my beltless blocks and often get hurt. I think it can be good for 3-6 week periods max to keep weight off the bar and take it easier, but if you are pushing the RPE I would encourage you use the supportive equipment. Form breaks down often when limits are tested.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/21/19 - Day 45

GHR/Pushups/TRX Fatman Rows/Light Hammercurls
3x13/25/16/20

Axle Strictpress
45x8
95x5
145,185,195,200x3

CG Swissbar Floorpress
124x12
174 2x8
194x10

Rolling DB Tri Extensions
35,45x15
55x12

Should have gotten more done, like some rows and rear delts, but I had a lot to attend to between getting Jessica’s calves boomsticked, running the group, & programming their training for Friday while I’m gone. I don’t really wanna push anything anyway between the pec and the knees, so just as well - quality over quantity. I was really happy I could get away with close push-ups with my pec!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You got nearly 50 fatman rows in so at least you didnt neglect your upper back entirely. Realistically if you put your warmup at the end and think of em as accessories you really didnt miss out on much aside from some higher intensity rowing.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You got nearly 50 fatman rows in so at least you didnt neglect your upper back entirely. Realistically if you put your warmup at the end and think of em as accessories you really didnt miss out on much aside from some higher intensity rowing.
True. Honestly I need to start writing down my plan before coming in, because what happened today (like most days) is I end up programming for 6 people including myself on the fly - and they all have different needs or limitations. If I had a written plan I could clearly see what needs done next when I forget inbetween helping folks. Maybe it’s time to finally get a training log.

I also really need to start barbell rowing again!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
In case anyone was wondering what a packing list looks like for a strongman contest:

TAKE WHILE TRAVELING:
Passports
Tickets (Checked In)
Cash
Milk of Magnesia
8oz Chicken
Plain Almonds
Shakers
Caffeine tabs
Dandelion Root
Potassium
Vitamin C

GEAR: chalk,soft/lever/buckle belts,straps,baby powder,nanos,lifters,climbers,grip shirt, clothes,knee/elbow sleeves
Towel
Ponchos
Tampons
Pepto Tabs
Imodium
Morton Lite Salt
Creatine
Taurine
Cytofuse
Ferox
Bronkaid
Ibuprofen
Pills

Shoes
Socks
Underwear
Jeans
Shorts
Sweatpants
Trunks
Shirts
Jacket
Toiletries in clear bag
Belt & straps

WALMART THERE:
Epsom Salt
Isopropyl Alcohol
Carbs/Pickles/Food

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
🤣 🤣

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Btw my wife was 150 two mornings ago and since switching to 2 gallons of distilled water, pulling sodium down to sub 500mg, she was under 143 this morning! Just flushed right off. We will actually add some pb in and shorten the water fast now. So looks like this cut is in the bag already. Weighins 9am Saturday. No laxative will be needed and no hot Epsom baths likely either.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Awesome news for preserving strength for Saturday!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
THIS^^^^

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Good luck to the wife tomorrow. I hope she is as strong as ever and things fall in her favor.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hope everything turned out well buddy. I’ve been looking for results online but it doesnt look like websites are updated yet.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hope everything turned out well buddy. I’ve been looking for results online but it doesnt look like websites are updated yet.
3rd Place in Lightweight Pro, out of 5 women. $500 cash and the first alternate for the Arnold Pro if one of the Lightweights backs out/gets injured. And no injuries!

Great show, great crowd at the fair, awesome place to be - Alaska in the summertime is sweet! Sunrise around 6am and sunset not til 9:30, 50 degrees in the morning, 60 by noon, and 67 degrees for most of the day - and it was sunny every day.

Did some beautiful driving through the Wascila valley after weighins Saturday, hit the fair after the comp on Sunday, took the most incredible glacier tour up the river Monday and then got some Moose Tooth pizzeria and hit the Anchorage zoo.

IMG_2652.JPG

IMG_2657.JPG

IMG_2661.JPG

IMG_2662.JPG

IMG_2668.JPG

IMG_2672.JPG

IMG_2673.JPG

IMG_2676.JPG

IMG_2684.JPG

IMG_2686.JPG

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Awesome Pics and congrats on the 3rd place. She looks like a bad ass carrying that stone!!!!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My god that’s gorgeous. I love it that the wife just did a comp the day before and shes already back to lapping stones shoreside the next day . Congrats to her. I never hope for an injured competitor, but hoping she makes it into the Arnold one way or another....

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Awesome Pics and congrats on the 3rd place. She looks like a bad ass carrying that stone!!!!
My god that’s gorgeous. I love it that the wife just did a comp the day before and shes already back to lapping stones shoreside the next day . Congrats to her. I never hope for an injured competitor, but hoping she makes it into the Arnold one way or another....
Yeah she actually fully cleaned it, and did one even larger on her phone that I felt and had to have been 175+lbs! My mom said the same thing, can’t get enough stone lifting There is a very good chance someone won’t be able to go within the next 5 months and she’ll get the spot - we’ll see.

If you guys get the chance to go to Alaska in the summer - GO! Beautiful place to drive, hike, and ride. Take some tours - riding on the water is incredible, and it’s easy to get flown as well.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/24/19
BW 230

Light KB RDL, Pulldowns, TRX Fatman Rows & Squats

Deadlift, Powerbar
155,245x5
335x3
385x1
+straps
415 3x8

Widegrip 3” Blockpull
385x10,9

Chin-ups
10+1+2 (lats cramping)

Got this in fast at Masters of Iron gym in Palmer - it was first thing in the morning while wife was weighing in and I was very dehydrated from long travel despite my best efforts, which had everything feeling off and things feeling very prone to injury/crampy. Shut it down early & lived to die another day. Gym was awesome and you need to train there if you go to Anchorage/Palmer area! Old school. Owner is a vet and wouldn’t even let me pay - he says he runs the place to stay sane and keep the suicide rate down in the winter for his fellow veterans in the valley.

8/28/19 - Bench Wk1

Bench
45x10,8
95,135x5
175,205x3
230x2
250 4x2, 1x8 RPE8

2-Board
170 2x15

BB Curls
45,65,75x10 PR

DB Side Raises
20,25x10

DB Rear Raises
15,20x12

First session back from AK. Brought my grip in way closer, just under halfway along knurling from smooth to the rings, to protect my pec. Also pulled training max down to 310 and kept a couple reps in the tank, and paused every rep. Weight moved well and no pain or issues.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice and intelligent return.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/30/19 - Squat, Wk1

GHR/Push-ups/TRX Fatmans
2x12/25/16

Squat
45,135x5
225,295x3
345x2
385 4x3, 1x8

SSB Hi Boxsquat
262 3x12

8/31/19 - Squat Accessory
BW 230.6

BB Good Morning
45 2x10
95 5x10

BB Row
95,185,215x12

Incline Chest-Supported DB Row
80 2x12

BB Shrugs
225,265x15

BB Standing Calf Raises
135 5x10

Last night’s squatting decimated me; the 4 triples prior to the AMRAP were much more taxing than the doubles previous training cycle. Split the accessories into a morning session today per Swede’s recommendations.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
Congrats to the Mrs.!!!! .. and I'm a city guy, but damn those are some views!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Congrats to the Mrs.!!!! .. and I'm a city guy, but damn those are some views!
Thanks! And yeah it was the kind of place that feels very old and makes you feel very mortal & insignificant.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
9/2/19 - Overhead, Wk1

Fathandle Farmer’s Walk 80ft
160x2
210x2

10” Logpress
72x10
122,152,172,182x3 strict + 3 push
192,202x3 push
212x2+1 miss (pressed it onto head)
172x3 push

BB Skullcrushers
70 2x10

1-Arm Cable Tri Pressdown
30 2x25 each overhand then underhand

Miniband Pullaparts, 60 sec rest
3x30

Spent almost an hour dragging the sled, boomsticking my pecs, mashing legs and stretching hips to prepare to train. Also wore the full neoprene scuba suit today which helped. Been impossibly sore since the squat session Friday night. Pretty sore again now, but I figure I’ll either adapt or die

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
9/4/19 - Deadlift, Wk1
BW 232

Deadlift, powerbar & hookgrip
155x8
245x3
335,425x2
475 5x2 (+straps on set 3)

Widegrip 3” Blockpulls
445 3x6

Hatfield Squat,3 sec eccentric
(deadlift foot position)
152x10
202 2x10

Cable Pullthrus
100,120,140,160x15

Jeebus my traps are sore from Farmers & Log on Monday! Deadlifts were very easy - getting too fat; been eating for performance and I am getting it but couldn’t fit in my power belt tonight

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
9/6/19 - Bench, Wk2
BW 229

Hammercurls, Cable Tri Ext, Facepulls, Vogelpohl Rows, Rotator Cuff exercises

Bench
45 2x8
95,135,185x5
215x3
240x2
260 4x2, 1x6+1 assisted

1 Board Press
170 2x12

Side Raises
25 2x10

Rear Delt Flyes
20 2x12

Lat Pulldown
99,165x12

Pull-ups
13 yeah buddayyyy

Chin-ups

BB Curls
45x12
65,80x10 PR

Woke up feeling good and everything moved well - I was very surprised when the 7th rep on bench stalled out! Biceps and lats are getting stronger by the week.

I have moved to a 9-day training microcycle (vs a traditional 7-day training rotation) to enable me to better recover so I can run 5th Set for my Bench & Squat and the Cube method for my Deadlift & OHP. These methods all work well for their respective lifts for me, but they were beating me up run concurrently 4 days per week. Dropping to Monday/Wednesday/Friday & the 4 sessions will rotate across them.

Bloodwork 72 hours from this session on Monday morning to help dictate next cycle. Unless work has an objection, going to sign up for USPA meet in Plainfield, IN on 12/8 very soon. Going to gain some weight and go for a PR total.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
9/6/19 - Bench, Wk2
BW 229

Hammercurls, Cable Tri Ext, Facepulls, Vogelpohl Rows, Rotator Cuff exercises

Bench
45 2x8
95,135,185x5
215x3
240x2
260 4x2, 1x6+1 assisted

1 Board Press
170 2x12

Side Raises
25 2x10

Rear Delt Flyes
20 2x12

Lat Pulldown
99,165x12

Pull-ups
13 yeah buddayyyy

Chin-ups

BB Curls
45x12
65,80x10 PR

Woke up feeling good and everything moved well - I was very surprised when the 7th rep on bench stalled out! Biceps and lats are getting stronger by the week.

I have moved to a 9-day training microcycle (vs a traditional 7-day training rotation) to enable me to better recover so I can run 5th Set for my Bench & Squat and the Cube method for my Deadlift & OHP. These methods all work well for their respective lifts for me, but they were beating me up run concurrently 4 days per week. Dropping to Monday/Wednesday/Friday & the 4 sessions will rotate across them.

Bloodwork 72 hours from this session on Monday morning to help dictate next cycle. Unless work has an objection, going to sign up for USPA meet in Plainfield, IN on 12/8 very soon. Going to gain some weight and go for a PR total.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Meet prep time broooo. Nice. Pumped for you to lay down a PR. I still need some time to work on that 675 so hold off on that if you can

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Things are getting pretty serious! Ideas for next theoretical cycle? #trest>test
300mg test e/wk for 10 weeks, 8 weeks of 4 & 19dhea starting week 3 to use up some andros, couple weeks of methyls on weeks 1-2 & 11-12 as the test builds and fades. Probably epiandro at the end I have to add some extra neurological power.

I could tolerate pushing more orals/SARMs or pushing trenavar going into the meet for maximum poundage, but that won’t be the best way for me to actually eat and gain weight. Methyls will kill appetite and tvar makes my metabolism crazy.

Pheraplex, Superdrol, Mtren, a quad stack product of Sten+DMZ+LMG+M14AD could all be options to split over the beginning and end.

Meet prep time broooo. Nice. Pumped for you to lay down a PR. I still need some time to work on that 675 so hold off on that if you can
Whatcha doing December 8th??

Oh that looks good
Awesome, healthy, easy.

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My last day of school for the year is the 8th. One week too early.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
13 weeks out as of today. That’s like 9 weeks of training and 4 weeks to peak!
5 of which will be me in New Mexico without a gym to train compounds at other than once a week :-(. Aint gonna happen for me this go around.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
5 of which will be me in New Mexico without a gym to train compounds at other than once a week :-(. Aint gonna happen for me this go around.
Lol ok. But man think of the recovery potential with 6 days of no compounds...

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
300mg test e/wk for 10 weeks, 8 weeks of 4 & 19dhea starting week 3 to use up some andros, couple weeks of methyls on weeks 1-2 & 11-12 as the test builds and fades. Probably epiandro at the end I have to add some extra neurological power.

I could tolerate pushing more orals/SARMs or pushing trenavar going into the meet for maximum poundage, but that won’t be the best way for me to actually eat and gain weight. Methyls will kill appetite and tvar makes my metabolism crazy.

Pheraplex, Superdrol, Mtren, a quad stack product of Sten+DMZ+LMG+M14AD could all be options to split over the beginning and end.

Whatcha doing December 8th??

Awesome, healthy, easy.
Congrats on the progress and feeling well enough to want to do a meet. One thing I did notice from @Spurfy's idea on running the Var was his idea of running the orals at night only. I did this using some SD which i do not normally do well at all and found it to be almost side free as far as my appetite and whatnot went. Normally week 2 with any SD is the last week because it has to be. That time I just stopped at 2 weeks because it was the plan but I was still able to eat. I was running 10mg non workout days and 20mg on workout days wich for me would have normally been miserable already. My muscles LOVES SD, but the rest of me never has done well with it. Also nice to sleep through the aggression and also have extra recovery when I was actually recovering, IE when I slept.

Might be something to consider trying if you wanted to push a little more size.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Congrats on the progress and feeling well enough to want to do a meet. One thing I did notice from @Spurfy's idea on running the Var was his idea of running the orals at night only. I did this using some SD which i do not normally do well at all and found it to be almost side free as far as my appetite and whatnot went. Normally week 2 with any SD is the last week because it has to be. That time I just stopped at 2 weeks because it was the plan but I was still able to eat. I was running 10mg non workout days and 20mg on workout days wich for me would have normally been miserable already. My muscles LOVES SD, but the rest of me never has done well with it. Also nice to sleep through the aggression and also have extra recovery when I was actually recovering, IE when I slept.

Might be something to consider trying if you wanted to push a little more size.
Good input; I know I have heard of guys only taking anadrol with their last meal of the day for same reason.

I have ruled out Msten and DMZ as DMZ ALWAYS crushes my appetite. Right now I am leaning on 10 weeks test e, add the 4/19andro last 8 weeks (wk5-12), epiandro last 6, Mtren or M1A last 3. Maybe kicking with 5 weeks of Mechabol.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
09/09/19 - Wk2, Squat
BW 231.2

GHR
2x12

Squat
45,135x5
225x3
295,345,390x2
390 3x3, 1x8 @ RPE8.5

SSB
292 3x8

Forgot I was doing triples the first set of 390. Moved much better than last week’s 385 & knee is feeling better too. Going to do the back and calf work tomorrow per usual. Working from home is kinda awesome for my nutrition timing & sleep.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Good input; I know I have heard of guys only taking anadrol with their last meal of the day for same reason.

I have ruled out Msten and DMZ as DMZ ALWAYS crushes my appetite. Right now I am leaning on 10 weeks test e, add the 4/19andro last 8 weeks (wk5-12), epiandro last 6, Mtren or M1A last 3. Maybe kicking with 5 weeks of Mechabol.
Oh yeah, I was about to mention in HGP's log that DMZ was one I realized I can't mess with anymore. It treated my muscles well and whatnot but lots of sides for me and my appetite, and acid reflux was always bad on it. That long half life makes it something that this overnight dosing does not do well because it is still with you for 8 hours the next day when you want to be able to eat. Maybe that or just the longer exposure just kills the liver not sure but I tried it with this method and did not notice the same thing. So I assumed it was the longer half life per dose.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Officially signed up for December 8th meet! Open 242 Raw. 8 weeks to build and 5 weeks of peaking.

Bloodwork came back fine; everything looking very normal compared to pre-cycle bloodwork over last couple years, with the exception that my fasting blood glucose was down to 89 and total bilirubin was lower than its ever been at 0.7! 0.8 was the lowest I’ve seen, and I have only seen blood sugar under 90 once (it was 88 when I was probably 21).

Still up in the air if I wanna kick things off with Pheraplex or Methylclostebol but I have til Monday to decide. Both should let me eat well enough.