Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Wow, 11.5 hours... I had a couple times of sleeping through with the old G8 too. I think one time I slept 14 hours and I hadn't even been missing sleep at the time just wasn't a work day so no alarm, I was shocked when I woke up...
Yep and I got 11 hours Saturday night and 10 Monday night with it. Been a terrific adjunct for recovery the night before off-days. I could have fallen back to sleep today too is the crazy part, but once I got up I was ready to go with minimal grog.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
07/26/19 - Day 19
BW 228.2

GHR/Pushups/TRX Rows Circuit
3x12/15/15

Dynamic Frontsquat
vs 100 chain
95,115,135x5
185x3
255 5x5

Deadlift, powerbar
135,225,315x3
+straps
400 6x2
425x5,10

Hanging Leg Raises
3x15

Not really EMOM today; sucking a lot of wind and this felt like a lot more work than it reads on paper. I fasted 24 hours yesterday and had one meal within 1,200 calories before bed, & they didn’t have the damn AC on today, so could have contributed to the fatigue. I said **** the deficits and just did a hard set of 10 from the floor to fry everything out. Thighs feel worked. Callus was retearing quick so just strapped up.

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Not really EMOM today; sucking a lot of wind and this felt like a lot more work than it reads on paper..
This has been my last 6 months of training lol. I am cashed but then when I look at what I have written down I am like fuk that doesnt even look like i did much. 5x5 vs chains on fronts followed by those deads (especially with the x5 and x10 set) doesnt look like "not a lot of work" to me though.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
This has been my last 6 months of training lol. I am cashed but then when I look at what I have written down I am like fuk that doesnt even look like i did much. 5x5 vs chains on fronts followed by those deads (especially with the x5 and x10 set) doesnt look like "not a lot of work" to me though.
Quality over quantity anyway. All my lifts are going up so whatever, right?

IMG_2564.JPG

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Callus was retearing quick so just strapped up.
Thank you for the reminder, have to cut mine off, almost forgot.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
7/27/19 - Day 20
BW 228.2

Bench (touch n go)
45,95,135x5
185,225x3
250x2
270 4x2, 1x7 PR

Floorpress
185x5
235 3x5

Chin-ups
6 (bad lat cramping, scared of tear)

DB Pec Flyes
30,35x25 slowww

Interesting session today. Trained a work friend of my wife’s who wants to try lifting. He showed up again today after we made him learn to squat and deadlift yesterday and not a single complaint, does exactly what I say, so I figure I owe it to him to show him the way. Between that and coaching/spotting the Hammer on bench I basically trained solo 2 hours after getting to the gym and everyone else was done.

This let my work be really productive but man I was really cramping awfully by the time I got to floorpress! A lifetime PR doesn’t lie though - I’ll take it!

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Been really boosting that bench lately, Gratz! I’ve experienced that tendon poppy feeling once with exem when I overdid it while tresting.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
7/27/19 - Day 20
BW 228.2

Bench (touch n go)
45,95,135x5
185,225x3
250x2
270 4x2, 1x7 PR

Floorpress
185x5
235 3x5

Chin-ups
6 (bad lat cramping, scared of tear)

DB Pec Flyes
30,35x25 slowww

Interesting session today. Trained a work friend of my wife’s who wants to try lifting. He showed up again today after we made him learn to squat and deadlift yesterday and not a single complaint, does exactly what I say, so I figure I owe it to him to show him the way. Between that and coaching/spotting the Hammer on bench I basically trained solo 2 hours after getting to the gym and everyone else was done.

This let my work be really productive but man I was really cramping awfully by the time I got to floorpress! A lifetime PR doesn’t lie though - I’ll take it!
Chin-ups lat cramp? That means, you are doing it right! I have problems with proper lat activation....
Better safe than sorry, I also drop exercises as soon as I feel something is off.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Been really boosting that bench lately, Gratz! I’ve experienced that tendon poppy feeling once with exem when I overdid it while tresting.
100%, I attribute it to the tips Scott Mendelson discussed in that recent Supertraining video combined with all the things I already knew. But putting it all together is getting me into a terrific leverage. 1+1=3 situation.

Setting up feet first, head behind bench and pulling through WITH the heel from the Nike Reax TR letting me stay flat-footed but tucked, let’s me really get the shoulders tucked towards my butt and let’s me “stand on my traps” to keep the load right over my shoulder girdle. From there, it’s a matter of lat, tricep & hamstring activation to receive and blast the weight back up. Also was able to bring my grip out a full finger thanks to the extra shoulder stability my new setup offers. Shorter ROM = bigger lifts.

Chin-ups lat cramp? That means, you are doing it right! I have problems with proper lat activation....
Better safe than sorry, I also drop exercises as soon as I feel something is off.
Yeah and then my left delt started spasming and I new I was out of carbs & electrolytes and hung it up.

I was gonna go hit lats today but they’re all sore! So I will rest and grow.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
7/29/19 - Day 22
BW 228.4

GHR/Push-ups/TRX Fatman Rows
3x15/20/15

Squat
45x6
135x5
225,295x3
345x2
390 4x2
+triple ply sleeves
390x10 yeah buddyyyy

Legpress
400 2x20

Put absolutely everything into the AMRAP on squat and there was nothing left...when I finally got seated to legpress, had finally loaded the hundreds on each side, my hams & quads felt blasted from the very first rep. Did another blood flow set of 20 and called it a day.

Everyone is making sweet gains!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
And boom goes the dynamite. Up next: 405 front squats for ten in sleeves! Getting after it as always
Lol probably have a ways to go before that feat, but it would be pretty cool! Just trying to keep building the fundamental lifts slowly but surely. Putting all of my energy into them isn’t really making me a great strongman, but I really want to get my barbell strength up into PR territory right now.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Lol probably have a ways to go before that feat, but it would be pretty cool! Just trying to keep building the fundamental lifts slowly but surely. Putting all of my energy into them isn’t really making me a great strongman, but I really want to get my barbell strength up into PR territory right now.
Do gotta say, I’ve only been on this forum a short time in the scope of things, but your consistency and progress is definitely #1 (you and bob are tied I’d say), sickness and health there is no quit. Props man, seriously.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Do gotta say, I’ve only been on this forum a short time in the scope of things, but your consistency and progress is definitely #1 (you and bob are tied I’d say), sickness and health there is no quit. Props man, seriously.
I appreciate that, thank you. What it comes down to is, even the naturally talented can’t keep progressing without consistency - you have to live it, every day.

IMG_2578.JPG

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I appreciate that, thank you. What it comes down to is, even the naturally talented can’t keep progressing without consistency - you have to live it, every day.

View attachment 185227
Forget where I read it. But I found a very quotable quote a while ago.

“I didn’t wake up one day and decide to be strong. I wake up every day and decide to be strong.”

Seemed appropriate.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Forget where I read it. But I found a very quotable quote a while ago.

“I didn’t wake up one day and decide to be strong. I wake up every day and decide to be strong.”

Seemed appropriate.
It is a choice, definitely. I listened to a podcast this morning while cooking where Swede Burns was discussing how genetics are real, and the hardest working sparrow will never reach where an eagle even begins its journey - but the sparrow will never realize its true potential if it focuses on that genetic limit. Life isn’t fair, but potential realization always demands consistent work, even of the eagle.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
7/31/19 - Day 24
BW 228.8

4x12/20/15

10” Log Strictpress
72,122,142,162x8
182x7
192x4+1

Rope Tricep Pressdown
30x100

Left tricep tendon and right lat are seriously fucking with my training right now. Can hardly do anything without pain or cramping. Exhausted going into this session as well. Strict power was surprising at least.

Really everything is like that - incredible rising static strength but no endurance and parts are getting fed up. I think it’s time for a deload.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Time for a deload and a consistent dose of those unilateral, high rep, west side style band pushdowns you have mentioned to me several times. Not a bad strict log there either my guy, especially with a finicky tendon.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Time for a deload and a consistent dose of those unilateral, high rep, west side style band pushdowns you have mentioned to me several times. Not a bad strict log there either my guy, especially with a finicky tendon.
That’s a good idea, thank you! Idk where the strict power is coming from, but I don’t hate it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/2/19 - Day 26
BW 229.0

2x12/20/15

Dynamic Squat
vs Monster Minis
45,95,135x5
245 5x5 EMOM

Deadlift, powerbar, hookgrip
135,225x3
315,405,465x1
505,515x2 (tore callus again worse)
+straps
475 2x5

1” Deficit
445 2x5

GHR
1x20

Knew I should have put the straps on after 505, would have gotten away clean then. You live and learn. Pulls were easy at least!

IMG_2587.JPG

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have never once gotten a callus there and i am happy to be able to say that. That looks like a hellish place to have one. At least you know you're good on lat engagement...that seems like whatd give you one there.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I just got a serious blister there hookgripping yesterday too....

I strapped up though and lucked out.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I have never once gotten a callus there and i am happy to be able to say that. That looks like a hellish place to have one. At least you know you're good on lat engagement...that seems like whatd give you one there.
I just got a serious blister there hookgripping yesterday too....

I strapped up though and lucked out.
Honestly I don’t think it should be tearing that high up - I think it tore there because I am setting the bar too deep in my hand and then it’s moving, or it wouldn’t tear. So I need to practice taking the slack out of my hookgrip better I am thinking.

I am super pleased with the progress I am making overall though. Going to try to get through one more week of training through next Friday, then begin deload that Saturday.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Between how bad the last 2 weeks of pressing have been (elbow, tricep, lat issues) and my torn callus that won’t scab over due to location, I decided to simply sleep in this morning and completely skip bench. I didn’t get to sleep in any morning this week due to getting my car in/out of the shop, so the extra sleep today really felt needed.

Also woke up only 225.2lbs unexpectedly, so I went to Pizza Ranch for as much fried chicken, pizza, and pastries as I could handle. While my wife is dieting, we don’t get to eat out together, so I have to make sure to reload by myself here and there to keep my weight up.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
hell yah man. Pizza Ranch took an L in the net profits column today. I love “hey hunny, im headed to the pizza ranch. Ill come rolling home in about 2 hours.”

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
hell yah man. Pizza Ranch took an L in the net profits column today. I love “hey hunny, im headed to the pizza ranch. Ill come rolling home in about 2 hours.”
she works weekend afternoons normally so it’s a good time for that. I actually went to see her after while she ate her chicken and broccoli on a break. So it’s kinda like a date, except we both had to take care of our respective gainz

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Just want to say the decision to skip the day is always so tough, but you probably made the right decision!

Always better to live to fight another day than push and then screw your self over.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That rip seems to be in the worst possible spot for healing. I’m curious, as my hooker calluses sit higher up on my thumb (about an 1/8” below my thumb joint), just different grip techniques or anatomical?

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
And pizza ranch gets a W in my book lol. There is one I can pretty much walk to from my house. The people watching there is what really sells it

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Just want to say the decision to skip the day is always so tough, but you probably made the right decision!

Always better to live to fight another day than push and then screw your self over.
It was super easy this time, that’s exactly how I knew lol. I was like no f*cking way, finished my pee, and went back to sleep til noon. Also slept til noon Sunday!

That rip seems to be in the worst possible spot for healing. I’m curious, as my hooker calluses sit higher up on my thumb (about an 1/8” below my thumb joint), just different grip techniques or anatomical?
Well I have pretty small hands for Hookgrip, but I should be setting the bar lower to prevent it from rolling. Normally I callus much higher as well.

And pizza ranch gets a W in my book lol. There is one I can pretty much walk to from my house. The people watching there is what really sells it
Dude I was watching so hard. You definitely appreciate the blessings in your life after hanging at the Ranch

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
08/05/19 - Day 29
BW 229.2

GHR/Push-up/TRX Fatman Row
3x12/20/15

Squat
45x8
135x5
225x3
295,345x2
395 4x2, 1x10

Startrac Mid Row
40,70x12
95x6,8,8

Back still achey from post deadlift Friday, everything just feeling whooped on - can’t wait to get through Friday’s circa max pull session so I can fully deload. Made the decision to suck it up and got my 10 reps. My lifetime best was last winter’s bulk at 405x10 weighing 240lbs on cycle, so things are looking good!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I bet Hyde has thick wrists: thick wrists correlate with shorter UCL and greater grip strength in the palm rather than the knuckles.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
^Thats interesting. Do you have the anthropometric data/study for further reading?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I bet Hyde has thick wrists: thick wrists correlate with shorter UCL and greater grip strength in the palm rather than the knuckles.
Nope, they’re genuinely dainty. My 5’4” wife has wrists something like only 1/10th an inch smaller than my circumference.

And when I pull a true max it’s always hanging on by my fingertips lol

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nope, they’re genuinely dainty. My 5’4” wife has wrists something like only 1/10th an inch smaller than my circumference.

And when I pull a true max it’s always hanging on by my fingertips lol

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/7/19 - Day 31

Lots of band warmups

Bench
45,45,95,135x5
185 3x3
205,225x3

Seated Military
45,95,115x5
135 3x5

Pull-ups
6x6

Unilateral Band Tri Pressdown
2x50

Pullaparts
2x30

DB Curls
10x20
15,20x15
25 2x12

True deload session, everything felt light as it should have. I pull heavy Friday and then Saturday & Sunday off, deload squat on Monday and deadlift the following week.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Holy stims. Fuk that, man. Just buy some blow and mix it with your nose torque.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Holy stims. Fuk that, man. Just buy some blow and mix it with your nose torque.
1,4DMAA, DMHA, Eria J, Caff, PEA, racetams

Not your daily driver; this is for limited special usage! A session here or there isn’t going to cause longterm problems - it’s the folks taking Adderall every day that should be worried.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
1,4DMAA, DMHA, Eria J, Caff, PEA, racetams

Not your daily driver; this is for limited special usage! A session here or there isn’t going to cause longterm problems - it’s the folks taking Adderall every day that should be worried.
Not worried about longterm problems from it - I just know id just be out of my damn mind with that many stims, especially at those dosages. I cant handle those exotic stims...especially on top of nearly 400mg of caffeine haha. You’ll be ready to run through a brick wall then vomit after .

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Not worried about longterm problems from it - I just know id just be out of my damn mind with that many stims, especially at those dosages. I cant handle those exotic stims...especially on top of nearly 400mg of caffeine haha. You’ll be ready to run through a brick wall then vomit after .
most definitely; I have always tried to keep something with DMAA around for very heavy deadlift sessions because I really do pull best when I can reach a place slightly out of my mind. Even 400mg caffeine doesn’t do much for me - it’s the exotic stims that get me ready to shake ‘n bake!

This ought to do the trick

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Eagerly awaiting tomorrow’s dead session
That looks like a serious headrush

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
8/9/19 - Day 33 of PCT
BW 228.0

GHR/Push-up/TRX Fatman Rows
2x12/20/15

Dynamic Squat
vs Monster Minis
45,95x5
135,185x3
235 4x3

Deadlift, Texas Deadlift Bar
135x3
225x2
+straps
525 best since bicep surgery 6 months ago
+baby powder
590 smooth and easy, RPE 9.5

Well this was a huge confidence booster. Could have certainly pulled 600, and maybe even done so after 590. Last week’s 515x2 was heaviest I’ve gone since January. Just goes to show you can progress training submaximally on a stiff bar and turn the weight up when it’s time to compete.

The Glory Juice Extreme was spot on for this session - it would probably make you sick to train on it’s so intense, but it really let me go to that place and lift to my absolute potential. Shoutouts also to ammonia, Devil Driver & Slipknot

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hell yah. Did all your training partners make it out of the session alive? Glory juice + ammonia + metal sounds like enough to make a priest want to murder someone.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Edit: this forum double posting shît is really starting to get on my nerves.