Hyde’s Strength Odyssey

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
The itchy nips are not itchy from the outside if that makes sense. It feels like the itchiness is coming from under or inside the nipple, which it is. What you are dealing with sounds like it is completely external irritation, and water fluctuation on the difference in how they look from morning to night.
yeah my skin was peeling it's been so dry, specifically on the nips themselves. some of the itchiness felt like stretching skin and my pecs have grown noticeable I think the past 6 months since eating more and growing on bench. but I suppose it also feels like how my back used to get really miserably dry during the winter, enough to ask my wife to put lotion on it. I think I understand...l just sorta trying to be aware as I peak behind the curtain of these... alternative supplements... ;) lol

and I mean really peely too, like peeling skin right off the nipple.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
yeah my skin was peeling it's been so dry, specifically on the nips themselves. some of the itchiness felt like stretching skin and my pecs have grown noticeable I think the past 6 months since eating more and growing on bench. but I suppose it also feels like how my back used to get really miserably dry during the winter, enough to ask my wife to put lotion on it. I think I understand...l just sorta trying to be aware as I peak behind the curtain of these... alternative supplements... ;) lol

and I mean really peely too, like peeling skin right off the nipple.
I used to get that from running, the shirts would rub my nipple raw sometimes. Add any sun to the equation and forget about it.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I used to get that from running, the shirts would rub my nipple raw sometimes. Add any sun to the equation and forget about it.
yes very similar to that, mine were getting more irritated on deadlift day and bench day. bench day I understand, deads not so much. But the slingshot would really make them bad. today I'd say they're at 90% recovered but I put a bunch of bag balm on this morning just in case. I also put some on these dots on my torso that I think are old irritation from the absolved and TDs so today when I add the UH i'm looking for new skin locations lol.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
yes very similar to that, mine were getting more irritated on deadlift day and bench day. bench day I understand, deads not so much. But the slingshot would really make them bad. today I'd say they're at 90% recovered but I put a bunch of bag balm on this morning just in case. I also put some on these dots on my torso that I think are old irritation from the absolved and TDs so today when I add the UH i'm looking for new skin locations lol.
Tops of feet and or inner thighs is good, front part of traps and lower section of neck. Inner forearm if not too hairy. All very thin skin the UH will get through easily.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
3/29/23
BW 229.0

8 min walk

GHR
2x15
+5x15

BW One-leg Deadlifts

RDL
45,135,205x5
255x12
+straps
275,295x12

Legpress
360x5
450x3
540,630x12
770x16

DB Walking Lunges
27.5,32.5,37.5x12

Leg Extensions
170,180,190x12

Bumped up weights on everything. Still sucking wind on RDLs, but walking lunges felt a lot stronger. Ramping up to get back to a 1,000lb Legpress next week

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
3/30/23

8 min walk

Rope Cable Facepulls ss w/ Rope Cable Tri Ext
44 3x15 each

Strictpress
45x5
95,115,135,165,175,185x1
+belt
195x1

Klokov Press
45x5
65,80,90x12

One-arm Cable Lateral Raise
11 2x12
16x12

One-arm DB Row
100x15
+straps
110,120x15

Lat Pulldowns
121,132,143x12

With the extra warmup/prehab cable work & working up fast on Strictpress, I truly did not have time for biceps before work. Thought I might knock them out in the garage, but I was spent from those DB Rows. Happy I pressed 195 so easily - need to break a long-standing PR of 240 at some point!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Are your one arm DB Rows done like croc rows? Some nice numbers and volume there!

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3/30/23

8 min walk

Rope Cable Facepulls ss w/ Rope Cable Tri Ext
44 3x15 each

Strictpress
45x5
95,115,135,165,175,185x1
+belt
195x1

Klokov Press
45x5
65,80,90x12

One-arm Cable Lateral Raise
11 2x12
16x12

One-arm DB Row
100x15
+straps
110,120x15

Lat Pulldowns
121,132,143x12

With the extra warmup/prehab cable work & working up fast on Strictpress, I truly did not have time for biceps before work. Thought I might knock them out in the garage, but I was spent from those DB Rows. Happy I pressed 195 so easily - need to break a long-standing PR of 240 at some point!
Putting in some good work…..that’s a good PR 240 on your Overhead Press. I’ve seen you and others mention the Klokov Press before, so I had to look that bad boy up. So basically it looks like a behind the neck press with a really wide grip. It looks really challenging, but I don’t think my old shoulders could handle that now. I still do good with Overhead Press, but just that slight adjustment going behind the neck causes pain, I couldn’t imagine doing it with a wide grip. It is impressive though.💪

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Are your one arm DB Rows done like croc rows? Some nice numbers and volume there!
Probably a lot more strict than what most would call a Kroc row.

For me, I like to rest my spare forearm on the head of an incline bench set just high enough to clear the stroke from the floor, then rest my forehead on it to tie it into my brace. Being bent over sufficiently helps prevent any trap involvement.

I like to fully protract the scapula at the bottom, then exert the pull through the elbow so the lat, and not the trap, is drawing the weight up. I think it’s also important to keep the elbow close to the body & reach sufficient elbow height (depth) on the row.

Andy Bolton always focused on quality with DB Rows, and while Matt Kroc was known for an exceptional upper back size & strength on his high-rep rows, he was never know for his deadlift.

Plus, the dbs only go to 120, unless I bring a handle in I suppose

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
what body weight was your 240 at? that's mucho weighto.

I just don't know that I 100% fully grasp the difference of the many different forms of db rows/kroc rows etc. I've done them all and I do tend to mix them up. aside from your forehead mount there... I do like "assisted"... meaning, left arm on the bench while right arm rows, then switch, when I'm going for as heavy as I can.

If I'm just doing say 70s for 3x10 as an accessory I'll grab both 70s, bend over like i'm doing a bb row and just knock out both sides at once. I do like being able to change the angle of my back when I'm pulling/rowing a bit, in my mind it changes how it's hitting the traps/lats/upper back some.

how are those klokovs treating you? I almost want to throw them in again just cause you've reminded me of how freaking hard they are.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Probably a lot more strict than what most would call a Kroc row.

For me, I like to rest my spare forearm on the head of an incline bench set just high enough to clear the stroke from the floor, then rest my forehead on it to tie it into my brace. Being bent over sufficiently helps prevent any trap involvement.

I like to fully protract the scapula at the bottom, then exert the pull through the elbow so the lat, and not the trap, is drawing the weight up. I think it’s also important to keep the elbow close to the body & reach sufficient elbow height (depth) on the row.

Andy Bolton always focused on quality with DB Rows, and while Matt Kroc was known for an exceptional upper back size & strength on his high-rep rows, he was never know for his deadlift.

Plus, the dbs only go to 120, unless I bring a handle in I suppose
Even more impressive. Really protracting and getting a long full pull via the eblow arching up toward the hip is how I row too. I normally post one knee and arm up on a bench and get almost horizontal for mine and really try to get the elbow behind the back too. Like you said, It gets the most back meat hit effectively.

I just don't know that I 100% fully grasp the difference of the many different forms of db rows/kroc rows etc. I've done them all and I do tend to mix them up. aside from your forehead mount there... I do like "assisted"... meaning, left arm on the bench while right arm rows, then switch, when I'm going for as heavy as I can.

If I'm just doing say 70s for 3x10 as an accessory I'll grab both 70s, bend over like i'm doing a bb row and just knock out both sides at once. I do like being able to change the angle of my back when I'm pulling/rowing a bit, in my mind it changes how it's hitting the traps/lats/upper back some.

how are those klokovs treating you? I almost want to throw them in again just cause you've reminded me of how freaking hard they are.
Kroc Rows compared to strict Bodybuilding style Db Bent Over Rows are like the difference in technique between a Muscle Snatch a real Snatch - One is more about brute force, and getting the weight moving and the other is big on the form and technique. That and Kroc rows are done in high rep sets for a massive volume hit.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Putting in some good work…..that’s a good PR 240 on your Overhead Press. I’ve seen you and others mention the Klokov Press before, so I had to look that bad boy up. So basically it looks like a behind the neck press with a really wide grip. It looks really challenging, but I don’t think my old shoulders could handle that now. I still do good with Overhead Press, but just that slight adjustment going behind the neck causes pain, I couldn’t imagine doing it with a wide grip. It is impressive though.
Thanks, I do them with a snatch grip, pointer finger touching the power rings. I think that will have a better transfer to my strict press, while still getting the shoulder strengthening. So really more like a BTN Strictpress, but still a full hand width wider than I would Strictpress from the front, because of my lesser mobility on the left side.

I was 235lbs. I have found that to Strictpress more, the best thing besides an unreasonable focus on it (as much frequency AND volume AND intensity as you can handle) is just gaining weight.

Kroc was just famous for heaving heavy DB rows for a billion reps until he was gonna puke.

The Klokovs are really boring. The program actually calls for BTN Pushpress but that made no sense for these hypertrophy rep ranges. I’m not going to be explosive for 15 knee bends in a row, which becomes cardio (and poor hypertrophy). So this was a good opportunity to work something that’s weak.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I feel like BTN press, when performed properly, is almost a core workout as that’s where I fatigue first. Keeping scaps tied in with open ribs and neutral pelvis through the movement is a real challenge for me, but I think it pays dividends when you start pushing heavy in conventional OHP. I really don’t feel any challenge to the big shoulder muscles yet.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Fasted 38 hours with some LISS, ended at 11am today for pizza with the family.

I was 230.0lbs yesterday but woke up at 226.6 today, despite drinking 5g each of salt & creatine mono yesterday. Really tightened up from this fast, back to where I was before depleting for the meet.

khall1974

khall1974

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Fasted 38 hours with some LISS, ended at 11am today for pizza with the family.

I was 230.0lbs yesterday but woke up at 226.6 today, despite drinking 5g each of salt & creatine mono yesterday. Really tightened up from this fast, back to where I was before depleting for the meet.
Keep that up bruh....good stuff all around. Do you ever find that the drastic weight loss messes with your head?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Keep that up bruh....good stuff all around. Do you ever find that the drastic weight loss messes with your head?
I guess it’s drastic in the sense I swung 3.5lbs, but I didn’t really - I probably lost about a pound of fat. The water will readjust.

Do that once a week and it adds up, while letting you eat more to recover better on training days, and then you keep your training up strong. I have squats tomorrow morning!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
4/2/23
BW 228.2

8 min walk

KB Suitcase Carries
KB One-legged Deadlifts

Leg Extensions
65,125,165,185,205x12

Hi Bar Squat
45x5
135,225x2
275,325,365x1
+deadlift belt
405x1
-belt
275,305,325x12

Rubish Raises
70,85,100x12

Single-leg Machine Legpress
80,160,180,200x12

Lying Leg Curl
98,118x12
128x15

405 was very easy, but I was smart and did not continue to work up because that wasn’t the point. On 325 I did actually experience RPE10; last rep midway up the bar just kind of stopped moving for a moment while I was questioning my life decisions

Happy Sunday all!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Feltfelt great leaving the gym yesterday, but several hours after smashing legs I came down with some kind of bug. Couldn’t eat, body aches, zero energy, chills. Besides my pre-post workout food, I only managed a bagel with some turkey & cheese on it, and a small double cheeseburger my wife brought home for me in the evening. Probably only 2,500 calorie day, on a day that needs 4,000+ to grow.

Woke at a new low of 225.8lbs

Sleep was awful, but no aches or fever today so hopefully I’m in the clear. Ate a huge pork chop & a bunch of waffles!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hope you stay feeling better. Get those calories in today your body is still healing.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Man, hopefully it was just a short 24 hr bug and nothing more.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Feltfelt great leaving the gym yesterday, but several hours after smashing legs I came down with some kind of bug. Couldn’t eat, body aches, zero energy, chills. Besides my pre-post workout food, I only managed a bagel with some turkey & cheese on it, and a small double cheeseburger my wife brought home for me in the evening. Probably only 2,500 calorie day, on a day that needs 4,000+ to grow.

Woke at a new low of 225.8lbs

Sleep was awful, but no aches or fever today so hopefully I’m in the clear. Ate a huge pork chop & a bunch of waffles!
Dang that sucks man!! Hope it was just a quick thing and you’re back on the grind. You need a couple Jacks pizzas with hot sauce and get ready to smash!!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
4/4/23

6 min walk

Barbell Curl
20,40x8
60,70x12

Alt DB Curl
25,27.5,30x12

Hammercurls
30,32.5,35x12

EZBar 21s
50x21

CGBP
45x10
135,185,225x3
275,295,315x1
265x5

Dips
BWx12
+65 2x12

V-Bar Cable Tri Pressdown
66,71,77x15

Seated Cable Row
88,121x8
143,165,187x12

Plate-loaded NG Vertical Row
120 3x12

This day honestly bores me to tears. Threw a quick closegrip single at 315 in to keep the sword sharp; I don’t think the kid lifting off for me expected it to blast up so easily

Probably going to omit this day or change it significantly next week.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
There was a time that I really lived for the arm isolation work but I agree with you, it starts to get tedious and oddly boring now.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
There was a time that I really lived for the arm isolation work but I agree with you, it starts to get tedious and oddly boring now.
Yep, but those darn results are also hard to beat eh?

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
4/4/23

6 min walk

Barbell Curl
20,40x8
60,70x12

Alt DB Curl
25,27.5,30x12

Hammercurls
30,32.5,35x12

EZBar 21s
50x21

CGBP
45x10
135,185,225x3
275,295,315x1
265x5

Dips
BWx12
+65 2x12

V-Bar Cable Tri Pressdown
66,71,77x15

Seated Cable Row
88,121x8
143,165,187x12

Plate-loaded NG Vertical Row
120 3x12

This day honestly bores me to tears. Threw a quick closegrip single at 315 in to keep the sword sharp; I don’t think the kid lifting off for me expected it to blast up so easily

Probably going to omit this day or change it significantly next week.
you running the KONG program still? I never looked at it so I don’t know what it even had in it. I’m glad you recommended that app though I have been enjoying it!!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It’s not like my biceps are strong or massive, they can use the work, but even lifting as hard as possible without cheating I feel like I’m just trying not to fall asleep during the curls.

I probably need to do some strength work so I enjoy it more.

you running the KONG program still? I never looked at it so I don’t know what it even had in it. I’m glad you recommended that app though I have been enjoying it!!
Yep, overall I like the program too.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Arms days are pretty boring for the most part. Rare I hit them since big biceps really are not going to help me too much. Triceps though is another story.
Agreed. I figure I have some catching up to do for all the time I had to neglect them while my left arm couldn’t curl all the way up. Size is there from chin-ups, but I need to rebuild that top end of the curl.

I do think big biceps can help increase the benchpress, as a minor stabilizer and bigger shock absorber. All of the biggest benchers have huge arms. Obviously they’re shorter in length, but we can’t change that, only circumference.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am looking forward to building my arms back up, I may try and go a little crazy and shoot for 18". Possible ?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I am looking forward to building my arms back up, I may try and go a little crazy and shoot for 18". Possible ?
I measured last night and the numbers are not worth reporting. despite looking in the mirror and feeling like I've got 18" pythons I can say based upon last nights measurements if I actually did, I would probably have to carry them like an ape along the ground cause they'd be too heavy

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I guess it's good to have goals !!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I measured last night and the numbers are not worth reporting. despite looking in the mirror and feeling like I've got 18" pythons I can say based upon last nights measurements if I actually did, I would probably have to carry them like an ape along the ground cause they'd be too heavy
I bet your arms are more than respectable. A relatively lean 16 inch arm is very impressive, especially if you have smaller joints. I have had many people guess me over 18 because of my smaller joints.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
4/5/23
BW 223.4

8 min walk

GHR
2x15
1x20

KB One-leg Deadlifts
KB Suitcase Carries

RDL
135,205x5
255,275x10
+straps
295x10
315x3 dropped it, hams cramping

Lost several lbs since Sunday, and absolutely not trying to - been trying to eat as much as possible but the food just isn’t filling me out. Muscles seem flat, belly getting distended with lots of gas after some meals since that virus hit Sunday. I ate as much sushi as possible yesterday, added some sweets, blending big shakes, been using Mk677 some, but I just can’t fill out.

Exhausted and bloated going into this. Calves and hams felt crampy and progressively more pains (not soreness) with each set of RDLs, and when I reached the 4th set of 10 I felt like my ham was starting to rip with just 315 slow & controlled, so I bailed. Not getting hurt for a 3-plate RDL.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Bad timing to get sick post meet when nutrition was already a bit of a struggle. If I've learned anything though it's that a deload type day does less harm than overdoing it.

That said I have every intention of running RDLs at 315 for 4+ tomorrow

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
belly getting distended with lots of gas after some meals since that virus hit Sunday.
any other digestive issues, or burping?
when we were flying home from mx the cdc did say that norovirus is running like crazy right now. I sorta think we had it, I'm pretty sure my buddy got it. I had it many years ago and it was a wild run but taking probiotics like crazy for 2 days gave me almost immediate recovery (I learned that after the last time I encountered it like a decade+ ago and suffering for around 10 days before thinking of trying probiotics)

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
any other digestive issues, or burping?
when we were flying home from mx the cdc did say that norovirus is running like crazy right now. I sorta think we had it, I'm pretty sure my buddy got it. I had it many years ago and it was a wild run but taking probiotics like crazy for 2 days gave me almost immediate recovery (I learned that after the last time I encountered it like a decade+ ago and suffering for around 10 days before thinking of trying probiotics)
I’ve heard that is going around. I had no puking and only one squirt Monday morning (after having low fever/chills the night before). Not anything like real diarrhea, so idk. I had the chills, no appetite, aches, weakness/lethargy so definitely some kind of virus though.

I have been doing my daily Fage 5% Greek for probiotics, which is always helpful, but maybe I’ll try to double up for a few days.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Also, I chose not to train this morning. Last night was a VERY close shave, so going back to risk a pec just 9 hours later seemed foolish. This will let my body rest until Easter Sunday.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’ve heard that is going around. I had no puking and only one squirt Monday morning (after having low fever/chills the night before). Not anything like real diarrhea, so idk. I had the chills, no appetite, aches, weakness/lethargy so definitely some kind of virus though.

I have been doing my daily Fage 5% Greek for probiotics, which is always helpful, but maybe I’ll try to double up for a few days.
Quick question on the 5% Greek yogurt, is there a reason to go with 5% over the 2% or fat free if using for probiotics or is that just your personal preference? I thought you mentioned carb count at one point but I looked and all of the Plain have 5g carbs per 150g serving. So I assume that wasn't it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
saw this and immediately thought of you lol.
always a positive contributor around AM
but somehow not a guy I feel like I want to cross

View attachment 230980
Lol Momma didn’t raise no bitch - never mistake kindness for weakness!

Quick question on the 5% Greek yogurt, is there a reason to go with 5% over the 2% or fat free if using for probiotics or is that just your personal preference? I thought you mentioned carb count at one point but I looked and all of the Plain have 5g carbs per 150g serving. So I assume that wasn't it.
Less processed seems to help more, for me. Also, the serving is 170g for Fage 5%.

It also tastes significantly better, as a tertiary benefit. It’s actually good plain, which makes it much more reasonable to incorporate at 100g daily anytime I don’t fast.