ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
1% of the worlds population are what is known as Short Sleepers and can fully function on 4 hrs or less, and Tibetan Monks use this practice through Meditation to go years on short/no sleep.
Not saying it can't be done. Nor saying you will die of a stroke or heart failure due to this. Just saying, if you could get more, it would be better for you and the 1 percent. More optimal.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Not saying it can't be done. Nor saying you will die of a stroke or heart failure due to this. Just saying, if you could get more, it would be better for you and the 1 percent. More optimal.
I'm not saying its not, and I shoot for more on days that I dont work. Also, apparantly the Army changed their views in 2010. After I was retired to say Soldiers need more than 4 hours. Wish they figured that out before I retired. Lol

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'm not saying its not, and I shoot for more on days that I dont work. Also, apparantly the Army changed their views in 2010. After I was retired to say Soldiers need more than 4 hours. Wish they figured that out before I retired. Lol
Just looking out bro. Lol

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
No food today. Was to busy to write anything down. But was roughly around the same it has been. So I will just throw up my numbers for today

Warm-Up(Bike): 10 mins x 3.76 miles

All Sets 45" Rest:

Rotating Arm DB Military Press: 30x18,18 35x18,18,18,18,18

DB Shrugs: 60x18,18,18,18,18

Side Cable Raise(B/L): 15x15,15,15,15

Internal Rotation(B/L): 10x10,10

External Rotation(B/L): 10x10,10

Reverse Pec Deck: 85x15,15,15,15
20190611_172007.jpeg
20190611_172045.jpeg
Screenshot_20190527-134401_Instagram.jpeg

Cmseabee24

Cmseabee24

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
According to the sleep study guys, and experts they state that trauma is caused to the brain and body when you get less that 6 hours. All cause mortality increases significantly, and memory formation is severely hindered.
There’s plenty of people that function their whole life with only 4 hours of sleep. You body adjust to it like just about anything else. I’ve been out of the military 2 years now and I’m still up at 4am even without an alarm doesn’t matter what time I fall asleep either.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
There’s plenty of people that function their whole life with only 4 hours of sleep. You body adjust to it like just about anything else. I’ve been out of the military 2 years now and I’m still up at 4am even without an alarm doesn’t matter what time I fall asleep either.
Just because you function does not mean optimal or great for health.

Cmseabee24

Cmseabee24

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Just because you function does not mean optimal or great for health.
Just because it’s optimal for the people that were studied doesn’t mean it is for everyone. Everyone’s body is different. It’s like saying 40-30-30 is the optimal macros for your body. Of course it’s always better to get more rest if you can but once your body is conditioned to it it’s almost impossible to break it. Also, it’s like people that believe in over training then there’s the people that won’t leave the gym until they absolutely cant do another rep.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
There really is no debate on this matter if you do research. Waking up early is not the issue. Sleeping less than 6 hours consistantly is not healthy. Studies show it is not healthy. Basic intuition says it is not healthy.

Cmseabee24

Cmseabee24

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
There really is no debate on this matter if you do research. Waking up early is not the issue. Sleeping less than 6 hours consistantly is not healthy. Studies show it is not healthy. Basic intuition says it is not healthy.
Did those study show how many of those 6 hours were spent in REM compared to someone who sleeps less than those 6?

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Did those study show how many of those 6 hours were spent in REM compared to someone who sleeps less than those 6?
Good question. I don't know. I know this, if someone has always naturally awakened after 4 to 6 hour of sleep, and is alert, and energetic, they are an oddity, not the norm. I can understand how that person may not have any health issues. But, someone that had to train the body to get 4 hours or 5 hours of sleep, that is not the same thing. It is a detriment. You can't train REM cycles. You can force a habit, an unhealthy one, to elicit a desire, but if it is not your bodies natural order, it is not healthy or optimal.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I was in the army. I have 2 kids. I've "trained" through just life my body to get 4 to 6 hours of sleep. That isn't what my body was naturally doing before life happened. And I know that I suffer in various ways, even though I can perform well in daily tasks, in the gym, at work, etc. My memory is not where it could be. Make silly mistakes that shouldn't be made. I cant wait until the kids are old enough to not nurse, or wake me up lol. I value 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep because I'm not the oddity that has alway naturally thrived off of 4 hours.

Cmseabee24

Cmseabee24

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I was in the army. I have 2 kids. I've "trained" through just life my body to get 4 to 6 hours of sleep. That isn't what my body was naturally doing before life happened. And I know that I suffer in various ways, even though I can perform well in daily tasks, in the gym, at work, etc. My memory is not where it could be. Make silly mistakes that shouldn't be made. I cant wait until the kids are old enough to not nurse, or wake me up lol. I value 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep because I'm not the oddity that has alway naturally thrived off of 4 hours.
I agree but for some like myself it’s literally impossible to not wake up by 4am. I purposely don’t set alarms and just wake up full throttle some people can turn it off some can’t. I would love 7 or 8 but it is what it is. Also you got to take into account working early be able to meal prep go to the gym on top of everything else. So its cost over benefit to see rewards. Yes it would be ideal to have perfect balance but life happens.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I agree but for some like myself it’s literally impossible to not wake up by 4am. I purposely don’t set alarms and just wake up full throttle some people can turn it off some can’t. I would love 7 or 8 but it is what it is. Also you got to take into account working early be able to meal prep go to the gym on top of everything else. So its cost over benefit to see rewards. Yes it would be ideal to have perfect balance but life happens.
Nothing wrong with 4am wake up. Go to bed at 10 :)

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nothing wrong with 4am wake up. Go to bed at 10 :)
Yeah I’m not seeing where the disconnect is here. The same as the body can be conditioned to rise at 4am, it can be conditioned to sleep by 10pm.

There’s no debating what Thor has said. If you wanna get 4 hours only because it’s easier not to recondition and adjust your family/work life, I completely sympathize with your decision to live how you enjoy. But the best recovery would demand more sleep for sure.

Although in DC’s defense, sleeping 4hr 5x a week then 10-12hrs both weekend days puts him about 6hr/night average over a week - much better than a true 4 all the time. That’s a pretty good compromise.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I’m not seeing where the disconnect is here. The same as the body can be conditioned to rise at 4am, it can be conditioned to sleep by 10pm.

There’s no debating what Thor has said. If you wanna get 4 hours only because it’s easier not to recondition and adjust your family/work life, I completely sympathize with your decision to live how you enjoy. But the best recovery would demand more sleep for sure.

Although in DC’s defense, sleeping 4hr 5x a week then 10-12hrs both weekend days puts him about 6hr/night average over a week - much better than a true 4 all the time. That’s a pretty good compromise.
And it works pretty well. Hell I went to bed last night a little after 930 and I tossed and turned for about an hour. So its like going to bed at 10 anyways. Lol

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It is an annoyance to adjust sleep schedules, and because it can cause temporary insomnia, which I have experienced, but helps a lot in the long run.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
A few weeks ago I was listening to this Internal Medicine podcast and they had a sleep expert on there. He was discussing some new(ish) research that came out theorizing that lack of proper amounts of restorative sleep may be one of the causative factors of developing Alzheimers. He briefly discussed a new organ system which i had never heard about, the glymphatic system. It's essentially (very dummied down because thats where my level of understanding of it is) the lymphatic system specifically for the CNS. One of the theories is that sleep helps with glymphatic circulation and thus can clean up and/or help prevent/slow the accumulation of beta-amyloid plaques, which have been found to be associated with the development of Alzheimers. Here is a Science Daily article on the topic if anyone is curious - i know it isnt a primary source but i was lazy and just searched for this since science daily generally does a pretty good job of analyzing the literature they write about in my experience.

If trying to reduce your risk of developing Alzheimer's aint enough to kick someones ass in gear to try and work on healthy sleep, I dont know what is. Life and gym performances are one thing, but this is a whole new monster.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
A few weeks ago I was listening to this Internal Medicine podcast and they had a sleep expert on there. He was discussing some new(ish) research that came out theorizing that lack of proper amounts of restorative sleep may be one of the causative factors of developing Alzheimers. He briefly discussed a new organ system which i had never heard about, the glymphatic system. It's essentially (very dummied down because thats where my level of understanding of it is) the lymphatic system specifically for the CNS. One of the theories is that sleep helps with glymphatic circulation and thus can clean up and/or help prevent/slow the accumulation of beta-amyloid plaques, which have been found to be associated with the development of Alzheimers. Here is a "science daily" article about the topic if anyone is curious - i know it isnt a primary source but i was lazy and just searched for this since science daily generally does a pretty good job of analyzing the literature they write about in my experience.

If trying to reduce your risk of developing Alzheimer's aint enough to kick someones ass in gear to try and work on healthy sleep, I dont know what is. Life and gym performances are one thing, but this is a whole new monster.
Well as I said yesterday. The military when I was in use to say that 4 hrs is all the body needed. And apparently, in 2010 they changed their view point of this, apparently due to sleep deprivation of Combat Soldiers, and the link between Combat Troops w/PTSD. Is it true, who knows. It is one of the medical reasons I was retired. But, when I went in most of the Top guys in Charge at the time, where Panama, Desert Storm, and Cold War era Veterans. And we had a few Vietnam guys that where finishing up their extended careers. Now most of the top tier guys, are guys from my Generation. One of my Plt Leaders is now a 1 star at the Pentagon. My Battalion Commander on my first deployment is a 3 Star. Some of my soldiers that where under my Command are now Battalion CSM's. Doesn't feel like it. But this year will already be 10 years since I was injured in Afghanistan now and removed from a line unit. And 8 years since I was retired.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hey man, no worries. I wasn't necessarily directing that towards you even though it was in your log. Just trying to add to the discussion.

It's probably just like alcohol or tobacco - there will always be people who defy the things "we would expect". Like the guy who smokes 1.5 packs a day for 60 years and doesnt get lung cancer or copd or the 55 year old alcoholic who drank a 6 pack a day for 30 years but doesn't have any hint of liver damage. There will always be outliers. I myself would rather bank on doing the things i know we can do to give us the best possible chance in preventing the badness instead of hoping im one of the outliers who defies the odds.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Hey man, no worries. I wasn't necessarily directing that towards you even though it was in your log. Just trying to add to the discussion.

It's probably just like alcohol or tobacco - there will always be people who defy the things "we would expect". Like the guy who smokes 1.5 packs a day for 60 years and doesnt get lung cancer or copd or the 55 year old alcoholic who drank a 6 pack a day for 30 years but doesn't have any hint of liver damage. There will always be outliers. I myself would rather bank on doing the things i know we can do to give us the best possible chance in preventing the badness instead of hoping im one of the outliers who defies the odds.
Oh I know I was just adding to the discussion as well.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
No food recorded again today. Currently, on my own again at work, and we have a bunch of people out so I'm pulling double and triple duty. Was gonna do legs today but I felt a slight tweak in my knee so I gave them a break and knocked out some back tonight.

Warm-Up(Bike): 10 mins x 3.2 miles

Low Row w/Rope Attachment: 70x18,18 100x12,12,12,12,12

Behind the Neck Lat Pulldown: 120x12,12,12,12,12

Reverse Grip Machine Lat Pulldown: 70x15,15,15,15,15

Back Extension: 190x15,15,15,15
Screenshot_20190612-032232_SleepIQ.jpeg
Screenshot_20190612-035609_Blood%20Pressure%20-%20MyDiary.jpeg
Screenshot_20190612-035629_RENPHO.jpeg
20190612_192659.jpeg

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Nice back session DC, some nice movement variations in that.

On the sleep thing (seeing as I kinda started that line of discussion) I do think Thor, Hyde and swain have posted some great info, it’s the same stuff I also read. I’ve looked into sleep quite a lot and whilst the optimal health and recovery is obviously important I would also just highlight the significant links to fat loss (or lack of) and muscle growth. It’s the period of time when hormonal optimisation for fat loss occurs for example. It can also **** up cortisol levels which we all know is not ideal.

Anyway definitely one I’d look at, appreciate its more than just time in bed but quality of sleep as well. I think it’s dave asprey who talks about getting less than 7 hours but making the quality so high he gets all the benefits of a longer sleep.

Worth noting I’ve also read that getting one or two really long sleeps has zero ‘levelling out’ benefits by the way. Research has totally ruled that out from what I’ve seen.

I’m way from perfect on it that’s for sure and breaking a habit the army ingrained in you would be a massive challenge but just want the best for you brother so if you get chances to slowly change that it may be worth it.

Personally (and as bullshit as they seem) the blue light blocking glasses you can get really seem to make getting to sleep earlier more possible......

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Nice back session DC, some nice movement variations in that.

On the sleep thing (seeing as I kinda started that line of discussion) I do think Thor, Hyde and swain have posted some great info, it’s the same stuff I also read. I’ve looked into sleep quite a lot and whilst the optimal health and recovery is obviously important I would also just highlight the significant links to fat loss (or lack of) and muscle growth. It’s the period of time when hormonal optimisation for fat loss occurs for example. It can also **** up cortisol levels which we all know is not ideal.

Anyway definitely one I’d look at, appreciate its more than just time in bed but quality of sleep as well. I think it’s dave asprey who talks about getting less than 7 hours but making the quality so high he gets all the benefits of a longer sleep.

Worth noting I’ve also read that getting one or two really long sleeps has zero ‘levelling out’ benefits by the way. Research has totally ruled that out from what I’ve seen.

I’m way from perfect on it that’s for sure and breaking a habit the army ingrained in you would be a massive challenge but just want the best for you brother so if you get chances to slowly change that it may be worth it.

Personally (and as bullshit as they seem) the blue light blocking glasses you can get really seem to make getting to sleep earlier more possible......
Thanks. I will look into it more.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
So whoever put in my appt for my haircut screwed up, and actually didnt put it in. So I had to wait an hour and I wanted to go lift, but gotta help get things ready for my oldest daughters wedding party tomorrow. Maybe I can get in tomorrow before the party.

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Looking Good Brother, and it looks like you will be shredded by November of this year. Keep pressing forward!

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Wake-Up(0345)
Shower, TRT, Supplements

PWO(1710): Radiate + Creatine

Intra Workout: Clusterbomb + MOAB

Warm-Up(Bike): 10 min x 3.88 miles

All Sets 45" Rest except W/U:

INCLINE DB Bench: W/U 40x18,18 60x10,10,10,10,10

Flat DB Bench: 60x15,15,15,15,15

Machine Press: 100x15,15,15,15,15

Cable Fly(High): 20x18,18,18,18

Pec Deck Fly: 85x15,15,15,15

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Haircut and abs looking great! It’s coming along brother - wishing your family all the best with the wedding!

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Haircut and abs looking great! It’s coming along brother - wishing your family all the best with the wedding!
Thanks, yeah we just found out that they are planning on staying with us for the wedding next month as well. But, this time they gonna have to leave their dog at home. Love that dog to death, but he is just so dumb, and destroyed my screen on my sliding door...again. and he broke almost all my wife's Stargazer's trying to bark at the dogs next door.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
No training today. Freezer went bad, had to run to the store, and get a new one, empty the old one in place the new one, and then take the old one to the street. Then helped the wife with the pool wanna get it done before its time to close it for the year. Lol

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Abs are showing up, could almost be worth to keep cutting to get really shredded before next bulk.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Abs are showing up, could almost be worth to keep cutting to get really shredded before next bulk.
Might hust do that. I don't have any plans to start another bulk till about October. So I will see how things go. This week has been so screwed up though. Only got in on Monday. Tuesday was the freezer, and Pool. Yesterday, my middle daughter took me out for Father's Day cause she had to wait to get paid after she paid for her sisters wedding shower.

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Might hust do that. I don't have any plans to start another bulk till about October. So I will see how things go. This week has been so screwed up though. Only got in on Monday. Tuesday was the freezer, and Pool. Yesterday, my middle daughter took me out for Father's Day cause she had to wait to get paid after she paid for her sisters wedding shower.

Youll be fine, working out "a lot" really isnt as important as food. Just make sure you keep a clean diet and you should be able to stay lean brother.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Warm-Up(Bike): 10 mins x 3.84 miles

All Sets 45" Rest Except W/U:

Incline Bench: W/110x18,18 160x12,12,12,12,12

Flat Bench: 160x12,12,12,12,12

Machine Press: 115x18,18,18,18,18

Cable Fly(High): 20x18,18,18,18,18

Pec Deck Fly: 100x15,15,15,15,15

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
@DemntedCowboy, are you going to try out the body composition analysis, in your area?

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
@DemntedCowboy, are you going to try out the body composition analysis, in your area?
Dont know yet. Its at Crunch Gym and that is one gym I dont have a membership to. If I can find one somewhere else I will.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DemntedCowboy Cycle Logs 183
DemntedCowboy Cycle Logs 475
Training Forum 6
Anabolics 26
Sir Foxx Anabolics 15