Best supps/enzymes for protein-specific digestion

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No clue why but too much meat = constipation.

I switched over to shakes to compensate for protrein needs but that's a bandaid on this problem.

Anything over ~200 grams lately and I'm locked up (but only when MEAT is consumed) - bizarre.

Fiber (lots!) and water (gallon+) intake are fine.

Magnesium at night, has provided no help.

NOT looking for a laxative!

I'm leaning towards proteolytic enzymes (proteases)?

Protein is about 45-50% of my diet if anyone needs to know with the fat/carbs being 25% and 25%.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No clue why but too much meat = constipation.I switched over to shakes to compensate for protrein needs but that's a bandaid on this problem.Anything over ~200 grams lately and I'm locked up (but only when MEAT is consumed) - bizarre.Fiber (lots!) and water (gallon+) intake are fine.Magnesium at night, has provided no help. NOT looking for a laxative!I'm leaning towards proteolytic enzymes (proteases)?Protein is about 45-50% of my diet if anyone needs to know with the fat/carbs being 25% and 25%.
NOW or Solaray make a digestive enzyme complex that has high protease content. Gut Health looks good too

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
What is your idea of 'lots' of fiber? 35g+ and is it evenly spaced out throughout the day or a lot at once?

Gut Health

Why so much protein in your diet? Seems like a waste of resources to me @ 50%

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
NOW or Solaray make a digestive enzyme complex that has high protease content. Gut Health looks good too
Thanks Natty ;)

What is your idea of 'lots' of fiber? 35g+ and is it evenly spaced out throughout the day or a lot at once?

Gut Health

Why so much protein in your diet? Seems like a waste of resources to me @ 50%
As crazy as it sounds, I easily get in 60-75+ grams a day EASY. I am a cyclical low carber and I eat a ton of food that are designed to be high fiber in lieu of the carbs to make me sane. Very high fiber tortillas (Joseph's Bakery), Tons of almonds daily (I cant stop! lol), zero carb cookies (Brand: Yes to cookies), and a TON of fibrous veggies (broccoli/green beans/spinach) daily @ 3 diff meals.

Normally, Im a pooping machine.

As far as your question regarding why 50%. While I tend to agree that for most, it would seem excessive, but for me, it's the only way to remain lean. Carbs and me just don't fare well. Then, when I eat TOO many fats, I get a little chunky as well. This ratio seems to work best for me.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It sounds like you're getting a lot of junk fiber, but your diet also sounds messed up. 50% of caloric intake should not come from protein. How many grams per day are we talking here?

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know RLS just released a digestive enzyme matrix that looks promising for the types of issue you are having. I haven't used it but it looks like something worth checking out that may help you.

www.needtobuildmuscle.com

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looks solid! Thanks buddy ;)

Digesta Matrix a complete digestive enzyme complex that has been formulated to help break down 30 grams of carbs, 15 grams of protein, and 15 grams of fat (Breakdowns are based on a one capsule dosage) . The naturally occurring ingredients in Digesta Matrix help ensure the necessary breakdown of macronutrients in your body. You’ve been training hard and eating properly; now take your health to another level with Ruthless Supplement’s Digesta Matrix.
Amylase (known for breaking down [complex] starch into [simple] sugars), lipase (known for the transporting and processing of dietary lipids), and cellulase (a key enzyme in the hydrolysis of cellulose) are just a few of the powerful enzymes included in Digesta Matrix’s complex. With such dominant ingredients, you can rest assure that Digesta Matrix has all the building blocks of a legitimate digestive enzyme complex. Take one or two capsules at the beginning of each meal and let Digesta Matrix do the rest of the work.
Supplement Facts
Serving Size 1 Capsule
Amount Per Serving
Protease 1 20,000 HUT*
Protease 2 4,000 HUT*
Acid Stable Protease 100 SAPU*
Amylase 5,000 DU*
Lipase 1,250 FIP*
Cellulase 500 CU*
Glucoamylase 50 AGU*
Invertase 10 SU*
Catalase 50 BU*
AGS a-Galactosidase 50 Galu*
Beta-Glucanase 65 BGU*
Pactinase 1,500 Ajdu*
Xylanase 125 Xu*
Phytase 10 Pu*
Hemicellulase 750 Hcu*
Lactase 500 ALU*
Bromelain 500,000 PU*
Papain 500,000 PU*
*Daily Value not established.

I know RLS just released a digestive enzyme matrix that looks promising for the types of issue you are having. I haven't used it but it looks like something worth checking out that may help you.

www.needtobuildmuscle.com

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
I just got the Digesta Matrix in the mail but I haven't tried it yet. I read a lot on it and it semmed like a very solid product...hence the reason why I ordered it lol.

I don't see what would the problem be if 50% of your calories came from protein intake.

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you decide to go with that I'd like to hear what you think. I don't think having 50% of your macros as protein is necessarily a problem. I do it all the time with low Cal/low Carb days and never have issues so I dont think that would be giving you the problems

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
If you decide to go with that I'd like to hear what you think. I don't think having 50% of your macros as protein is necessarily a problem. I do it all the time with low Cal/low Carb days and never have issues so I dont think that would be giving you the problems
Hey Rick the product says it has
Protease 1 20,000 HUT*
Protease 2 4,000 HUT*
I thought there was only one protease for protein absorption. Which ones of those are for protein absorption?

rxp1997

rxp1997

Awards
  • Established
NOW has several, including Protein Digest

BioCore Edge150 mg**150 mg**
Proprietary enzyme blend of:45000 HUT**45000 HUT**
Protease (from Aspergillus mellus)
Protease (from Aspergillus oryzae)
Protease (from Aspergillus niger)
Peptidase (from Aspergillus oryzae)

I use a combination of MST Enzy-M (for the herba-soothe complex), and NOW's Protein Digest and Super Enzymes, depending on the meal.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
wow 75 to 80g of fiber a day is an awful lot bro. IME anything approaching 40 plus starts to have the opposite effect of what it's supposed to, if you catch my drift.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks Fellas!

Mak: No doubt bro. Im a weirdo FO SHO.

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
NOW has several, including Protein Digest

BioCore Edge150 mg**150 mg**
Proprietary enzyme blend of:45000 HUT**45000 HUT**
Protease (from Aspergillus mellus)
Protease (from Aspergillus oryzae)
Protease (from Aspergillus niger)
Peptidase (from Aspergillus oryzae)

I use a combination of MST Enzy-M (for the herba-soothe complex), and NOW's Protein Digest and Super Enzymes, depending on the meal.
And it says take it with up to 25g of protein. So for me that takes 300, about to try 600...maybe, that's going to be a lot of caps.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Whacked -- what is your water intake like?

Maybe you just need more water if protein is 45-50% of your diet. Give it a try

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks Natty

I feel ike a damm camel AS IS @ 1-1.25 gallons water per day :p

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looks solid! Thanks buddy ;)

Digesta Matrix a complete digestive enzyme complex that has been formulated to help break down 30 grams of carbs, 15 grams of protein, and 15 grams of fat (Breakdowns are based on a one capsule dosage) . The naturally occurring ingredients in Digesta Matrix help ensure the necessary breakdown of macronutrients in your body. You’ve been training hard and eating properly; now take your health to another level with Ruthless Supplement’s Digesta Matrix.
Amylase (known for breaking down [complex] starch into [simple] sugars), lipase (known for the transporting and processing of dietary lipids), and cellulase (a key enzyme in the hydrolysis of cellulose) are just a few of the powerful enzymes included in Digesta Matrix’s complex. With such dominant ingredients, you can rest assure that Digesta Matrix has all the building blocks of a legitimate digestive enzyme complex. Take one or two capsules at the beginning of each meal and let Digesta Matrix do the rest of the work.
Supplement Facts
Serving Size 1 Capsule
Amount Per Serving
Protease 1 20,000 HUT*
Protease 2 4,000 HUT*
Acid Stable Protease 100 SAPU*
Amylase 5,000 DU*
Lipase 1,250 FIP*
Cellulase 500 CU*
Glucoamylase 50 AGU*
Invertase 10 SU*
Catalase 50 BU*
AGS a-Galactosidase 50 Galu*
Beta-Glucanase 65 BGU*
Pactinase 1,500 Ajdu*
Xylanase 125 Xu*
Phytase 10 Pu*
Hemicellulase 750 Hcu*
Lactase 500 ALU*
Bromelain 500,000 PU*
Papain 500,000 PU*
*Daily Value not established.
That looks pretty good. Add in a probiotic/prebiotic and your gut will be good to go.

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That looks pretty good. Add in a probiotic/prebiotic and your gut will be good to go.
The stack with digestive enzymes along with a probiotic would be optimal for sure

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Already on a probiotic. Thanks agaian fellas.

AtomicFox

AtomicFox

Awards
  • Established
NOW Super Enzymes works great for me :)

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
NOW Super Enzymes works great for me :)
I second that. I think it should be a staple. Metamucil would be my second reccomendation. Psyllium husk is a great source of fiber to flush you out. Often bread fibers and vegetables will give you gas and alot of bloating. The enzymes help the digestion and the Psyllium husk flushes it all out. Perfect combination.

Colbert

Colbert

Awards
when do you guys usually take these supps? Cause if I want to hit 300+ grams of protein then that would be a lot of caps

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Right before you eat but why would you want to eat 300 grams of protein? What's your weight?

JayJo

Banned
Awards
Digesta Matrix is the way to go. :)
Looks solid! Thanks buddy ;)Digesta Matrix a complete digestive enzyme complex that has been formulated to help break down 30 grams of carbs, 15 grams of protein, and 15 grams of fat (Breakdowns are based on a one capsule dosage) . The naturally occurring ingredients in Digesta Matrix help ensure the necessary breakdown of macronutrients in your body. You’ve been training hard and eating properly; now take your health to another level with Ruthless Supplement’s Digesta Matrix. Amylase (known for breaking down [complex] starch into [simple] sugars), lipase (known for the transporting and processing of dietary lipids), and cellulase (a key enzyme in the hydrolysis of cellulose) are just a few of the powerful enzymes included in Digesta Matrix’s complex. With such dominant ingredients, you can rest assure that Digesta Matrix has all the building blocks of a legitimate digestive enzyme complex. Take one or two capsules at the beginning of each meal and let Digesta Matrix do the rest of the work.Supplement FactsServing Size 1 CapsuleAmount Per ServingProtease 1 20,000 HUT*Protease 2 4,000 HUT*Acid Stable Protease 100 SAPU*Amylase 5,000 DU*Lipase 1,250 FIP*Cellulase 500 CU*Glucoamylase 50 AGU*Invertase 10 SU*Catalase 50 BU*AGS a-Galactosidase 50 Galu*Beta-Glucanase 65 BGU*Pactinase 1,500 Ajdu*Xylanase 125 Xu*Phytase 10 Pu*Hemicellulase 750 Hcu*Lactase 500 ALU*Bromelain 500,000 PU*Papain 500,000 PU**Daily Value not established.

ccnAbolic

ccnAbolic

Awards
  • Established
The highest and most balanced enzyme formulas are Now Digest Platinum and Garden of Life Omega-Zyme. More expensive, but also better values. 80,000 units of protease per cap and then 2 or three other ph proteases. Plus like 20 other enzymes contained within. I had put in a request awhile back but haven't seen them hit the planet yet. Now's is just the enzymes and GOL adds trace minerals, ginger and curcumin. Also 4-5000 fip of Lipase.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I really like Myogenix Pro Fiber. It's unflavored and can be mixed into anything and also has both probiotics and digestive enzymes. It's pretty cheap too.

Ev52

Ev52

Awards
  • Established
I would guess that the increased gluten is causing extra inflammation in the intestinal tract. Those "low carb" products are loaded with gluten to keep carbs down and make them more flexible. You may have a gluten intolerance and I would look at that before digestive enzymes.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I didn't know the low carb products have extra gluten? How can you tell, is there some way to spot it?

I'm thinking about getting the digestive enzymes regardless because with Intermittent Fasting I have these huge protein heavy meals to break fast, so it'd be nice to digest as much as possible!

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I just got my digestive enzymes in from swanson. I got a full-spectrum one and a more standard type one. The difference in my digestion is incredible and I'm mad at myself for not taking enzymes for so long. Along with the metamucil bowel movements are fast, smooth and easy. Gas has gone down incredibly which was my biggest issue.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So is it gas and stools that have the greatest impact from the enzymes?

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I would imagine it has a huge impact on your immune system as well since you now are actually digesting nutrients properly. I haven't noticed such effects from pre or probiotics.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You taking with EACH meal? IF so, how many?

There is some conflicting data regarding these

Some say that there is no problem taking these with each meal, actually encouraging it for complete digestion (especially considering all the processed and cooked meat we eat) as it allows for MORE nutrient uptake - while others are claiming it will have a detrimental effect on natty enzyme production (shutting it off)

I tend to side with the former b/c these are NOT hormones.

I just got my digestive enzymes in from swanson. I got a full-spectrum one and a more standard type one. The difference in my digestion is incredible and I'm mad at myself for not taking enzymes for so long. Along with the metamucil bowel movements are fast, smooth and easy. Gas has gone down incredibly which was my biggest issue.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

uvawahoowa

Awards
It sounds like you're getting a lot of junk fiber, but your diet also sounds messed up. 50% of caloric intake should not come from protein. How many grams per day are we talking here?
50% from protein is no big deal, I do it when I am cutting and I am very regular..but I eat loads of veggies, almost a pound of cooked broccoli and asparagus each along with spinach and a tomato and a half red pepper a day. I attribute my regularity to that...

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ditto here

I throw one of those 1 lb bags in the microwave PER meal

Green beans

Broccoli

etc

Im a lean meats, greens and healthy fats guy

50% from protein is no big deal, I do it when I am cutting and I am very regular..but I eat loads of veggies, almost a pound of cooked broccoli and asparagus each along with spinach and a tomato and a half red pepper a day. I attribute my regularity to that...

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
sooo essentially, this has little to do with my query regarding IF digestive enzymes are useless or useful :D

prote
The authors' conclusions are that digestive enzymes are conserved and reabsorbed as whole proteins rather than being hydrolyzed in the gut.

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

O.G. Appnut
Awards
  • Established
may have been suggested already..... but I'd personally start with Bromelain. Cheap and effective. There's a reason pineapple is used as a meat tenderizer in marinades.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, I read that somewhere as well

Interesting -Thanks

Ive been reading about Betaine HCL and Apple Cider Vinegar as well

All somewhat different MOA's. Need to investigare which issuperior and which comes with the least amount of potential risks

may have been suggested already..... but I'd personally start with Bromelain. Cheap and effective. There's a reason pineapple is used as a meat tenderizer in marinades.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
You taking with EACH meal? IF so, how many?
Hmm... Let me think back a year. LOL

I would take 1 with each large whole food meals. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Not for shakes or small snacks in between.

I found the full spectrum to be the most effective. The standard one doesn't do much at the reccomended dosage. I've never tried taking like 3 at once though. I eventually ran out of the full spectrum and stopped using it. I still have some of the standard "digestive enzymes" blend and use it only occasionally. NOW's super enzymes worked very well the last time I took it but it's been years. My stomach got so jacked up from various medications that I tried a lot of things in the past year.

For myself I found metamucil psyllium husk and controlling heart burn with sodium bicarbonate(baking soda) or other ant-acids helped a lot.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Apple Cider Vinegar
That always does a stomach good! For salad dressing I always use apple cider vinegar and olive oil and always feel great afterwards. I usually get those huge salad bags from costco and eat tons of salad in the evening. Fills you up, low calories, and helps greatly with digestion!

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thnaks Flaw

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey there familiar faces ;)

I've been doing Keto for about 10 days now.. Experiencing the pros of fat loss but the cons of reduced size and frequency of bm.. Also finding indigestion and bloating to be a big issue... I want to eat every 3-4 hours, but I'm never fully digested due to all the fat n protein. I try to wash my meals down with apple cider vin, but obviously can't do that if I'm not home.. Interested in getting the now full spectrum enzymes.. That seem to be general consensus of best bet?? I carb up every 7th day and that 8th morning is sometimes like Christmas morning in the bathroom haha ;)

But again- biggest issue is the bloating/distention- i eat only meats and eggs- sometimesit will be chicken salad, egg salad, etc.. So That still remains within keto, right? I also willhave a shot or two of heavy cream to kick Start the hormonals.. Just wanna make sure I can get the bloating down- I'm used to LOTS of salad and green veggies for my fiber :(

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I do believe fiber is still fine on keto. True bloating (i.e. edema) is due to extracelullar water retention. If you're lacking GI motility, pop some EC stack :D

Thepaul7

Awards
Yeah, I read that somewhere as well

Interesting -Thanks

Ive been reading about Betaine HCL and Apple Cider Vinegar as well

All somewhat different MOA's. Need to investigare which issuperior and which comes with the least amount of potential risks
I will be adding that to my regimen in a couple days because I have been reading up on the benefits of stomach acid on digestion. I will let you know how it works.