Do you drink your shakes IMMEDIATELY after working out...?

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
After I finished working out it takes me about 10minutes to get home before i can drink my whey shake, maybe 15mins...

im wondering do the rest of you guys do the same or do you have some waiting in your car so you can take it immediately after you walk out of the gym?

same goes for creatine, do you wait till you get home or what?

i dont mind taking my small tub of creatine and leaving it in my car, when i get out of the gym i could put a scoop into a glass and pour some water ive got waiting for me in a water bottle and take that. Ive read its not good to mix your creatine powder with the liquid and leave it sitting around etc so this is something i could consider doing.

With the whey, I aint gonna take my 5kg bag into my car im thinking if i say take the one serving of powder into a bottle and then leave it in my car and add water n mix that after i walk out of the gym if that would be better aswell.

This leaves me with the question cause Ive gotten mixed responses everywhere. Some people and research I've read says you can take creatine and whey together, others told me to wait 15-20mins (take the creatine first? others say the whey first)... even been told to take the creatine straight up and then wait 45-60minutes for the whey, which seems super long - I recently read that the time IMMEDIATELY and I mean IMMEDIATELY after your workout is as imporant to get that protein in because thats when your body needs it most and utilizes it most as say getting your 1.5-2g/per lb of bodyweight for the whole day.

How do all you guys do it?

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I still bracket but its not much diffrent to taking everything before your workout, whey protein takes 2 hours to spike your protein levels, so in theory pre workout whey is more important than post workout. glucose will spike your insulin for atleast 3 hours.

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
I think it's silly to take a protein shake immediately after you finish the workout. If you're working at the intensity you should be, your body is not concentrating on digestion, it's actively diverting blood to your muscles. And it takes a little time after you've relaxed in order for proper digestion to occur. All you accomplish with slamming down a protein shake after your last set is overloading your digestive system.

Creatine is fine to take right after you're done, and that's what I've done if I have creatine pills. If it's powder, you can go ahead and wait until you get home to take it. Then go shower, prepare a meal, relax and eat. I think taking the creatine with food, even whey will slow it's absorption and you'll run some risks of not utilizing it all and possibly getting some bloat or other side effects.

Mar430

Awards
I still bracket but its not much diffrent to taking everything before your workout, whey protein takes 2 hours to spike your protein levels, so in theory pre workout whey is more important than post workout. glucose will spike your insulin for atleast 3 hours.
So you guys suggest taking a protein shake about 1 hour prior to a work out??

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I found that my workouts improved when I started taking a shake, often just some milk and whey about an hour-45 minutes before my workout. I've yet to try the Waxy Maize Starch w/ BCAA's during my workout, but i might experiment with that soon.

As far as post-workout goes, I like to start my shake as soon as possible afterwards because I like making a smoothy with lots of ice that takes me a good 15 minutes to drink. It just tastes that good lol. If it's just an Oats/Whey shake it goes down pretty quick.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
So you guys suggest taking a protein shake about 1 hour prior to a work out??
Yep, carbs after a workout is ok, and having your biggest meal of the day after your workout is good too because thats when your body can utilize carbs fat and protein the most efficiently.

xjsynx

xjsynx

Awards
Yes I drink my post-wo shake immediately after my workout.
I have a little cooler in my car to keep in nice and chilled for when I am done.

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
Anabolic Nutrient Timing Factor (google loves you, so love the google)

Get two shaker bottles (some places will throw in a free one if you order enough), mark one as "post-workout" and put the whey, creatine, whatever other powder you use for post w/o in there. I'm assuming your gym has lockers, so throw the shaker bottle in there, add water after your workout and slam it as you walk to the car. Done.

If you don't want two shaker bottles, put the post w/o powder in a tupperware container and just dump the contents into your "pre-workout" shaker bottle.

Either way, get the whey, creatine, glutamine, bcaa's and dextrose in your bloodstream right away or as soon as is reasonable. 60 minutes after your workout is not protein shake time, it's solid food time.

I just did my good deed for the day...

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I take a shower, walk to my car and drink my shake down. Roughly 30min or so post wo.

dhuge67

dhuge67

Awards
  • Established
The importance of a pre-workout shake is becoming more and more pronounced, as research is showing all sorts of positive stuff about protein synthesis due to the pre-shake. However, I still think a during and/or post workout shake are amazingly beneficial for recovery and "flipping the anabolic switch."

Definitely have a solid protein + carb meal about an hour to 90 minutes following the post-workout shake, though.

greenwing7

greenwing7

Awards
getchya some nalgene bottles, they won't break and seal nicely, for all my proteins and weight gainers as soon as I open up the bag I divide the protein up into cheap zip-loc baggies with 2 scoops in each, and for the weight gainer I do one scoop, that way its just grab and go any time I'm on the run and need to get all that stuff together. then throw it into the Nalgene bottle or any shaker for that and you are good to go!

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anabolic Nutrient Timing Factor (google loves you, so love the google)

Get two shaker bottles (some places will throw in a free one if you order enough), mark one as "post-workout" and put the whey, creatine, whatever other powder you use for post w/o in there. I'm assuming your gym has lockers, so throw the shaker bottle in there, add water after your workout and slam it as you walk to the car. Done.

If you don't want two shaker bottles, put the post w/o powder in a tupperware container and just dump the contents into your "pre-workout" shaker bottle.

Either way, get the whey, creatine, glutamine, bcaa's and dextrose in your bloodstream right away or as soon as is reasonable. 60 minutes after your workout is not protein shake time, it's solid food time.

I just did my good deed for the day...
i jsut started doing this. I bring my shake of 1 scoop Giant WPI watermelon, 30g WMI, 30g dextrose, and 1 scoop storm to the gym and slam is immediately PW, then about an hr later i just have a regular meal

D8685

D8685

Awards
1 Scoop pre workout about 15 min(optimum gold standard)
2 scoops post with some carbs (xtreme formulations relentless)
This has worked great for me.