What do you guys use for the treatment of acne?

sp447

sp447

Awards
  • Established
Do any of you guys have anything you use for the treatment of facial acne? Anything that works besides face wash?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A java lather variation that has kept my wife and I, both prone to breakouts, pretty much clear.

Skeetopunk01

Awards
Java will clog your pores. Use Murad or Proative twice a day. Shower frequently! Minocyclin works pretty good if prescribed by a doc, but it will take months to see any effect. If your like myself... anything that raises your test will make you break out.

bassgod272

Awards
  • Established
Java will clog your pores. Use Murad or Proative twice a day. Shower frequently! Minocyclin works pretty good if prescribed by a doc, but it will take months to see any effect. If your like myself... anything that raises your test will make you break out.
java actually will dry out any acne that you have and help get rid of it. it opens my pores and exfoliates like none other. i LOVE the stuff, but i have very sensitive skin. i only use it on the problem areas, not on the whole face because it dries out my skin. i also use the generic proactiv called AcneFree. this combination works quite well for me anyways. hey dsade, what is this variation of java that you speak of? :)

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
snake pills. their from mexico.. when my mom was a kid she use to be bad... my grandpa started giving them to her and it went away for good.. she has awsome skin. to this day she has never broken out..my aunt is starting to give it to her daughter, and she is showing MUCH improvement..i can get u a price if u want... since i am so close to the border it really wouldent be a problem..ill go have some drinks and pick some up for ya?

EDIT: of course ud have to trust me a bit, but i dont think they are that expensive

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
In lieu of snake pills :confused:

I'd say that proactive actually does a fairly good job.. I used it when I was younger (and had moderate acne) with great results.

Now I actually just use neutrogena oil free face wash and it really stops 99% of my problems. On occasion my wife will have me use this charcoal mask stuff from Origins Men which I guess closes your pores or something.

I feel totally gay right now...

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
In lieu of snake pills :confused:

I'd say that proactive actually does a fairly good job.. I used it when I was younger (and had moderate acne) with great results.

Now I actually just use neutrogena oil free face wash and it really stops 99% of my problems. On occasion my wife will have me use this charcoal mask stuff from Origins Men which I guess closes your pores or something.

I feel totally gay right now...
ok...snake pills work as well though..how much does proactive cost?...and is its results permenant?..im just wondering... im not very familiar

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
ok...snake pills work as well though..how much does proactive cost?...and is its results permenant?..im just wondering... im not very familiar
I dont even remember - its a big informercial thing but it really did work for me. My wife used it with success too as she had bad acne during puberty.

The results are permanent if you really focus on good facial hygene i.e. wash it a lot with oil free cleansers, don't use aftershave with oil it in, use oil free sunblock, etc

Also, provided the OP isnt 13 with raging hormones, a clean diet is also key.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
I dont even remember - its a big informercial thing but it really did work for me. My wife used it with success too as she had bad acne during puberty.

The results are permanent if you really focus on good facial hygene i.e. wash it a lot with oil free cleansers, don't use aftershave with oil it in, use oil free sunblock, etc

Also, provided the OP isnt 13 with raging hormones, a clean diet is also key.
oh ok.. cool cool.

vpower

vpower

Awards
  • Established
I really enjoy the face wash Proactive carries. I stopped spending money on the 5 products, and strictly focuse on the renewing cleanser in the shower. My acne definantly subsided and havent had a break out or a pimple on my face in over a year. My back is another story :(

E J

E J

Awards
  • Established
I use 2.5% benzoyl peroxide cream. Wash your face, apply cream.
Start on the low side since it can dry out your skin, assess tolerance and increase dose till you apply (if necessary of course) one finger lenght.

Try it out, pretty cheap and it works wonders.

Use 2.5% since it is less harsh on your face, and clinically proven to work the same as 5% or 10%.

Good luck

bassgod272

Awards
  • Established
I use 2.5% benzoyl peroxide cream. Wash your face, apply cream.
Start on the low side since it can dry out your skin, assess tolerance and increase dose till you apply (if necessary of course) one finger lenght.

Try it out, pretty cheap and it works wonders.

Use 2.5% since it is less harsh on your face, and clinically proven to work the same as 5% or 10%.

Good luck
agreed. 2.5% sustained release benzoyl peroxide is one of the stages of the generic proactiv cream. works great. anything higher will irritate the skin and make it worse. all those oxypads and other facial cleansing pads have at least 10% and higher. as for the back, java lather is superb. exfoliates as well as dries out the pimples, while not drying out the skin too much. also, shower in the morning, after workouts, and at nights before bed. you should be doing this anyway, but just in case you're not...
if your skin gets too dry, get some cetaphil. it's a non-greasy moisturizer perfect for those with fair skin. a small amount goes a long way. plus a 1/2lb or 1lb jar will last forever and it's cheap :)

E J

E J

Awards
  • Established
if your skin gets too dry, get some cetaphil. it's a non-greasy moisturizer
Great advice! When i apply in the morning after shower sometimes I use a moisturizer if my skin is too dry. At night I just leave it as is.

Cheap and effective method against acne:
1 very Mild face soap
2 Benzoyl peroxide 2.5%
3 Non-greasy moisturizer

And you are good to go, should clear up in about 15 days (depending on how bad your acne is) remember to tapper up the dose on the benzoyl

Wanderlei

Wanderlei

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Retin-A has been proven an effective treatment for acne. Tretinoin and tazarotene are topicals so you can avoid using accutane which is quite toxic.

Benzoyl peroxide is effective at killing bacteria but there is evidence it damages collagen so it could lead to premature aging amongst other things.

I would use an alpha hydroxy acid for an exfoliator. Glycolic, salicylic, or mandelic acid should all suffice though I think Glycolic gives the best effects with minimal sides. I would exceed 12% for glycolic acid and probably 15% for mandelic. SA I don't even bother with so I can not give a recommendation.

Use a non comedogenic moisturizer if necessary. Cerave makes a decent and more importantly cheap one.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
lots of sleep and lots of water help me out a lot. just telling you in case you're lacking in them.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
i have no idea why anybody messes around with all those chemicals that cost a fortune. 1 bottle of antibacterial dawn dish soap + 1 shower scrubby thing that people normally use with liquid body soap = problem solved. liquid dish soap dries out pores like no other, don't believe me? go wash dishes by hand for several minutes and tell be how dry your hands get after-wards. apply the soap to the area (you will not need alot, a bit goes a long way) leave on the area for a moment and then rinse. i personally keep a bottle in the shower. and if your ever feeling goofy, you can also bring your dishes in the shower with you and "kill 2 birds w/ 1 stone" :toofunny:but seriosly...the dish works

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What is this "washing dishes" thing you speak of?

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
You don't just want to dry the pores...you want to clean them, dish wash powder is ruddy stupid if you ask me.

Some good advice here, at a push I'd get some Retin-A/Tretinoin which in the US I believe is 0.05% Istretinoin/mg whereas in the UK it's 0.01% and works just fine to reduce the size of pores of most folk. Only when things get consistently bad though would I consider Isotretinoin again, so please don't jump onto that for a quick fix.

bassgod272

Awards
  • Established
OMG how could i have forgotten this....vitamin B5!!! get it in bulk powder and start with 10g everyday. spread the 10g throughout the day in smaller 2-3g doses. if within a week or 2 you see no results, bump it to 15g and so on. most only need 10g though. B5 actually makes your pores smaller while at the same time decreasing the amount of oil that the skin produces, which is what causes acne. after a month or so, you can decrease the high dose and just run a maintenance dose to keep the acne at bay. this dose is usually between 3-5g. again, everybody is different, so you will have to play around with the doses and see what works best for you.

Good Shepherd

Awards
A java lather variation that has kept my wife and I, both prone to breakouts, pretty much clear.
Ya Know, I was just going to pose this question to you dsade,
you would have a heck of a market if you could add an acne ingredient to the java lather......I'd be all over it.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ya Know, I was just going to pose this question to you dsade,
you would have a heck of a market if you could add an acne ingredient to the java lather......I'd be all over it.
almost ready for release.

MattRoeske

MattRoeske

Awards
  • Established
Pantothenic acid, also known as vitamin B5 Helps my face, i Get a pimple once a year lol and a well balanced diet.

LatsRus

LatsRus

Awards
proactive works, for a bit, then stops working. ive had this problem alot in the past with it. i found this lady's website on an ebay store, its a funny name but she had everything and it works great, has cleared me up and it even makes me feel good. her ebay store is called joyfulgirl natural products. she labelled the stuff i bought from her as natural man. i sent her an email and talked with her about what she thought was best for me, it was great. and her prices are alot cheaper than others i found, especially alot cheaper than proactive. its all organic all natural stuff, chemical free, check her out!

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
I used retin-a or tazarotene to combat the outside, and 6-8 grams of B-5 to combat from the inside

Acne = gone for good...period, just that.

Some people can not stomach that much b-5 so you may want to asses your tolerance.