What do you guys do/take when sick or away from the gym to minimize losses?

AwakeningAlpha

AwakeningAlpha

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Just recovering from a week in bed with the flu after a week on vacation. While I tried to keep on my protein and cals and trained during the vacation, it got me thinking about ways to maintain muscle when you're forced to go off plan. Are there supplements or other tips you guys have found helpful for time sick, recovering from injury, or away from the gym?
Hope everyone is staying healthy and happy this holiday season!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Nothing, i stay home and get better and when im better i go back to the gym. Im sick right now, and ive actually lost a lot more then i realized, 13.6lbs in 6 days. 2 weeks back in the gym and eating normal and it will come back 100%.

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Funny you just posted this because I am just getting over Covid. Ended up in the ER and needed an IV, they gave me Paxlovid and within a day I started feeling better. I'm just getting back into the gym now but still not 100%.

My recommendation, don't dehydrate yourself like I did. I had a sore throat and wasn't drinking anything and it made me worse. Just keep drinking fluids and continue your supplement regimen along with protein. Sleep is key. There's not much else you can really do. But within a couple workouts, I think you'll be right back where you were. I wouldn't worry too much.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Funny you just posted this because I am just getting over Covid. Ended up in the ER and needed an IV, they gave me Paxlovid and within a day I started feeling better. I'm just getting back into the gym now but still not 100%.

My recommendation, don't dehydrate yourself like I did. I had a sore throat and wasn't drinking anything and it made me worse. Just keep drinking fluids and continue your supplement regimen along with protein. Sleep is key. There's not much else you can really do. But within a couple workouts, I think you'll be right back where you were. I wouldn't worry too much.
100%💪👍

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

I'm pretty sure the large majority of my weight loss has been from dehydration And just lack of food in general

AwakeningAlpha

AwakeningAlpha

Awards
  • First Up Vote
@Smont @BigGame84 Hope you guys feel better. Lot of it going around.
Happy to hear you guys don't stress to hard about anything but staying home and getting better. I'm doing the same thing. I'm definitely taking less of the things I take that usually revolve around my workout, creatine, BCAAs, L-Cit etc and though I try to keep up with hydration, it feels like an uphill battle when sick. Definitely expect to lose some water weight. We will make a quick comeback!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Just recovering from a week in bed with the flu after a week on vacation. While I tried to keep on my protein and cals and trained during the vacation, it got me thinking about ways to maintain muscle when you're forced to go off plan. Are there supplements or other tips you guys have found helpful for time sick, recovering from injury, or away from the gym?
Hope everyone is staying healthy and happy this holiday season!
Honest to god, the 3 best things you can do in my opinion are rest, stay hydrated and #1 is calories. Supplements don't keep muscle mass, calories do. Of course, there are some supplements that help but it's gonna be so miniscule in the bigger scheme of things. Getting all your meals in is literally the most important part. Something I put zero effort into this week unfortunately. Very ashamed of myself lol. But it really does come back imeadiately. We don't actually lose muscle as much as the muscle cells themselves shrink down. Then we reintroduce the stimulus and the food and they blow back up the size.

For what its worth, these pictures are like 3 weeks apart from a few months back
20230705_173330~2.jpg
30521261055135~3.jpeg

I didnt even try to build muscle back i just went straight into a slight defict and the bloat just fell off.

Another 3 or 4 week later after picking up the calories i was 100% back and making new progress.

Sometimes a little break is actually a good thing Cause I continued to make steady progress right up until about six days ago when I got sick. I posted some of those progress pictures in my log mid november and i was probably at the best i been in years.

So I'm not that worried right now. Because I know it just comes right back. I've seen it with everyone too, not just myself
@Smont @BigGame84 Hope you guys feel better. Lot of it going around.
Happy to hear you guys don't stress to hard about anything but staying home and getting better. I'm doing the same thing. I'm definitely taking less of the things I take that usually revolve around my workout, creatine, BCAAs, L-Cit etc and though I try to keep up with hydration, it feels like an uphill battle when sick. Definitely expect to lose some water weight. We will make a quick comeback!
I have been taking a mega dose of eaas ( Which is one serving of pro 17, that thing is loaded. You guys don't see me pushing mike's products very often, Especially the supplements, But this is one that is becoming a staple for me. And I really recommend it to a lot of people If you're using eaa or bcaa. Your typical product has like 5-10 grams total. I think much products got over 30 Between the aminos and the co factors and all the supporting ingredients. But i've been taking a serving of that and two serving us a cheap store hydration mix. I mix it all up in a gallon of water and try to drink it throughout the day.

When I am training I do the same thing everyday, I just add an extra scoop To the mix on my way to the gym.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I always high dose vitamin c but go really high dose when sick and 1) I rarely get sick and 2) when I do get sick it clears up fast.
SNS is a fantastic value and terrific product https://seriousnutritionsolutions.com/product/vitamin-c-powder-500-grams/
I dont know if im correct here, but I've always been told this and even my doctors told me this in the past. Once you're already sick if you start taking and or megadosing your vitamins it's too late, You're going to get better before the vitamins actually do any of the work. What you need to do is be on those vitamins all the time and they will possibly reduce duration of sickness. But if you werent taking the vitimins before you were sick, and then you start, its not actually working in time.

Theres a lot of studies to back it up so i tend to believe it. Studies specifically about this and v-c

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I dont know if im correct here, but I've always been told this and even my doctors told me this in the past. Once you're already sick if you start taking and or megadosing your vitamins it's too late, You're going to get better before the vitamins actually do any of the work. What you need to do is be on those vitamins all the time and they will possibly reduce duration of sickness. But if you werent taking the vitimins before you were sick, and then you start, its not actually working in time.

Theres a lot of studies to back it up so i tend to believe it. Studies specifically about this and v-c
Well to be fair, I do always dose vitamin c pretty high (3g a day) so that probably helps when I go higher while sick

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Well to be fair, I do always dose vitamin c pretty high (3g a day) so that probably helps when I go higher while sick
My only point in saying it, I know a lot of people wait until they're sick and then they do it. That's my dad lol. He's the worst, He does absolutely nothing to take care of himself. And then when he gets sick, he goes to the store and buys Vitamin C lol

thescience

thescience

Awards
  • Established
i would minimize time being sick using 220ppm therasilver, which is about 22x the potency of what you find in a store

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Honestly (and I am not super sick very often so ymmv), I just wouldn't even worry about it a ton. I would just keep taking the things I normally take, maybe increase my Vitamin C intake (and SNS Immune Support XT when I have that on hand), and make sure I am resting, hydrating, and eating (depending on the sickness).

Unless it is some super long duration or sickness the losses will be transitory and return pretty quick once back into a routine.

I am pretty sure it is the opposite. Studies show it doesn't really decrease the frequency, but increasing dosing during may be beneficial to decrease duration.

I feel that some long term probably is beneficial even if it hasn't been replicated, just in the sense that if you don't have adequate intake of this (or similar things) you might be more likely to get sick (but I also don't personally take it year round, yet it is in lots of random supplements and I eat lots of fruits and vegetables).

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Honestly (and I am not super sick very often so ymmv), I just wouldn't even worry about it a ton. I would just keep taking the things I normally take, maybe increase my Vitamin C intake (and SNS Immune Support XT when I have that on hand), and make sure I am resting, hydrating, and eating (depending on the sickness).

Unless it is some super long duration or sickness the losses will be transitory and return pretty quick once back into a routine.

I am pretty sure it is the opposite. Studies show it doesn't really decrease the frequency, but increasing dosing during may be beneficial to decrease duration.

I feel that some long term probably is beneficial even if it hasn't been replicated, just in the sense that if you don't have adequate intake of this (or similar things) you might be more likely to get sick (but I also don't personally take it year round, yet it is in lots of random supplements and I eat lots of fruits and vegetables).
I see what you're showing, And what i'm telling you is there is tons of studies that show the exact opposite. I'm not really interested in arguing over it. Because either way, I don't really care. I just wanted to share some information that i've seen out there and lots of it. I'm just as happy to show both sides of the fence. Because we know there's always 2 sides to every story and studies don't actually prove anything. There's just tidbits of information That we have to use to form our own opinions

Heres one but its not hard to find like a hundred more.

Also I just saw your thing about the duration, Most of the ones i've seen say there is some evidence that it may Decrease the duration of sickness but there's no actual proof

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
On the vitamin C subject, of course its better to use it all the time, but a lot of people including myself will increase the amount of vitamin C intake when they're sick.

There are plenty of studies that show it to be effective in helping ease symptoms and decrease the length of the sickness.

I have an autoimmune condition and even my Rheumatologist suggests people to start doing 3 grams Vitamin C per day at the onset of cold like symptoms.

As far as helping to stave off muscle loss, Pepti-Plex would be useful on a couple different levels - PeptiStrong in helping to limit muscle and strength loss and to build back faster from any losses, Apigenin in that it can have beneficial effects on immune health and muscle loss, and Senactiv which helps with senescent cell clearance.

It's not that I would run out and buy Pepti-Plex if I was getting a cold, but its another benefit of the product and if already using it or have it on hand, I would definitely suggest taking it. A lot of people tend to stop taking their supplements when they are sick, and I would definitely continue Pepti-Plex.

thescience

thescience

Awards
  • Established
yeah i mean the vitamin c route is ok. obviously nothing beats a 50g injection if it has to be ascorbic acid; something like a 20 fold increase in white blood cells. i felt like fighting a flu with 5-10g doses transdermally was superior to oral ascorbic acid at any dose. bulk ascorbic acid is often a mix of l and r ascorbic acid, whereas specifically purchasing L ascorbic acid can be more costly but arguably better. Im working with magnesium ascorbyl palmitate transdermally as a preventative. sodium ascorbyl palmitate is the other one with the insane half life, compared to ascorbic acids tiny one. cant comment on how it's working because just started a few months ago ( havent been sick yet.) i felt vitamin c was a letdown for flues that result in
pneumonia; maybe didnt effectively navigate the mucouse filled lungs or have any impact on the bacteria that results when the lungs fill up. idk. feel like the therasilver works better, easier too but costlier. usually asymptomatic by the 5th dose

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My daily supplement regimen includes 2.4 Pepti-Strong, 1g Apigenin, topical B-AET, etc. and I still got sick with Covid. Frustrating, because I do make an effort to avoid sickness, but sometimes it just seems inevitable.

thescience

thescience

Awards
  • Established
My daily supplement regimen includes 2.4 Pepti-Strong, 1g Apigenin, topical B-AET, etc. and I still got sick with Covid. Frustrating, because I do make an effort to avoid sickness, but sometimes it just seems inevitable.
i think an anti inflammatory approach is definately justified, not to fight anything off per se, but to prevent injury. i used to workout when i was sick; didnt understand how the inflammation choked nutrient supply needed for recovery and ended up with a brutal injury that didnt occur in the gym, but when i woke up 24 hours after a workout after when i finally got out of bed

AwakeningAlpha

AwakeningAlpha

Awards
  • First Up Vote
i think an anti inflammatory approach is definately justified, not to fight anything off per se, but to prevent injury. i used to workout when i was sick; didnt understand how the inflammation choked nutrient supply needed for recovery and ended up with a brutal injury that didnt occur in the gym, but when i woke up 24 hours after a workout after when i finally got out of bed
Ya I agree. I have actually been taking some leftover BPC-157 to see if it would help along those lines. Pretty sure I have the flu but came across this study about the potential effects BPC has on the vid:
"BPC 157 as Potential Treatment for COVID-19"

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yeah, its inevitable to get sick, especially viruses - but proper supplementation can sometimes help lessen the symptoms and duration of them.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I see what you're showing, And what i'm telling you is there is tons of studies that show the exact opposite. I'm not really interested in arguing over it. Because either way, I don't really care. I just wanted to share some information that i've seen out there and lots of it. I'm just as happy to show both sides of the fence. Because we know there's always 2 sides to every story and studies don't actually prove anything. There's just tidbits of information That we have to use to form our own opinions

Heres one but its not hard to find like a hundred more.

Also I just saw your thing about the duration, Most of the ones i've seen say there is some evidence that it may Decrease the duration of sickness but there's no actual proof
I realize I was actually just backing up what you said about dosing decreasing duration (I had thought you had meant frequency, sorry for reading too quick).

There are definitely studies that show taking at the onset, as well as consistently dosing, may help decrease duration and symptoms so you are right in the assumption that is probably what you've heard before (with it apparently being conflicting with needing to be taken per-emptively or not).

That said articles (like that NPR one) don't really constitute as evidence though (I guess especially as far as how much stock I'd put into it). Maybe I should write a post on the hierarchy of scientific evidence because I feel like I see this happen quite a bit.

I got bored so I dug into it again for anyone who cares:

Common colds: Does vitamin C keep you healthy?
-This probably is one of the studies that helps highlight the disconnect of maybe what is being said with how people are misinterpreting it. While it seems to not always be replicated and the effect isn't always very large the consensus is that it does seem to decrease symptoms or severity, especially more reliably than decreasing occurrence (I'll link more below).

Where that seems to be getting confused seems to come from two factors (to me):
1) This study shows that that benefit of decreasing the severity and duration comes when taking Vitamin C daily and that taking it once you have symptoms doesn't always help decrease the duration or severity (so it should be taken even before you feel ill, but hold on because there is some information I'll link later that recommends slightly differently).
2) There are actually studies that shows it cutting the likelihood to develop a cold in half, but these are typically seen in very strenuous situations like extreme sport fatiguing scenarios (marathons) or military training (and often in extreme conditions of cold as well). I guess you could argue this means it might be more beneficial for hard training athletes, but I don't think most people have training that qualifies for this (BUT maybe your life stress may make it worth it or during particular training situations).

Vitamin C reduces the severity of common colds: a meta-analysis
-More recent meta-analysis showing it may help with intensity and duration. Still some conflicting information with potential for dose benefit, but just continues to confirm this consensus.
-This one is more helpful for being able to consolidate so many studies and give a place to pull more from when needed.

Vitamin C in the Prevention and Treatment of the Common Cold
-I am starting to feel lazy so here is just a direct quote:
"While regularly administered vitamin C did not seem to affect the incidence of the common cold in the general population, the review also analyzed 31 comparisons on the effect of regular vitamin C supplementation on symptom duration and severity of colds. The results indicated that regular vitamin C supplementation (at an average dose of 1-2 g/day) resulted in a significant reduction in the duration of common colds, an 8% reduction for adults and 14% reduction for children. The severity of cold symptoms was also reduced. "
-This one also mentions some dosing, but as with many of the other studies one of the difficulties falls to the fact that studies use different measures of what they consider symptoms and severity so it may be difficult to precisely assess exactly what can be recommended and assumed for how effective it may be.
-Highlighting this one due to the fact it did show benefit to dosing after noticing symptoms, but must be done within 24 hours and for 5 days duration for most likely benefit.

Vitamin C for preventing and treating the common cold
-I'll probably stop here because many of these will just be highlighted already in the meta above if anyone really wants to dig, but this highlights a few points I think are worthwhile.
-Again going to just copy the conclusion:
"The failure of vitamin C supplementation to reduce the incidence of colds in the general population indicates that routine vitamin C supplementation is not justified, yet vitamin C may be useful for people exposed to brief periods of severe physical exercise. Regular supplementation trials have shown that vitamin C reduces the duration of colds, but this was not replicated in the few therapeutic trials that have been carried out. Nevertheless, given the consistent effect of vitamin C on the duration and severity of colds in the regular supplementation studies, and the low cost and safety, it may be worthwhile for common cold patients to test on an individual basis whether therapeutic vitamin C is beneficial for them. Further therapeutic RCTs are warranted. "

Overall I think that helps highlight many of the current state of the research. Some issues just tend to be trying to turn how scientific studies use words to say something with how you can interpret that in the real world. I'd say based on all this:
1) Take it daily since it is cheap and may possibly help decrease symptoms (with some saying that you need this daily dosing to get the benefits, as in not just once you feel sick).
2) Maybe take more during particularly stressful times and/or bump that dosage up (even to like 8g+) when you feel sick (almost like hedging your bets, take some daily then might as well bump up when feeling sick or stressed to see if it personally provides help). Keep in mind to spread the dosage out as too much all at once can cause GI distress.

Sorry for slight derailment, but that might be helpful for anyone as I know this topic does come up from time to time.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I realize I was actually just backing up what you said about dosing decreasing duration (I had thought you had meant frequency, sorry for reading too quick).

There are definitely studies that show taking at the onset, as well as consistently dosing, may help decrease duration and symptoms so you are right in the assumption that is probably what you've heard before (with it apparently being conflicting with needing to be taken per-emptively or not).

That said articles (like that NPR one) don't really constitute as evidence though (I guess especially as far as how much stock I'd put into it). Maybe I should write a post on the hierarchy of scientific evidence because I feel like I see this happen quite a bit.

I got bored so I dug into it again for anyone who cares:

Common colds: Does vitamin C keep you healthy?
-This probably is one of the studies that helps highlight the disconnect of maybe what is being said with how people are misinterpreting it. While it seems to not always be replicated and the effect isn't always very large the consensus is that it does seem to decrease symptoms or severity, especially more reliably than decreasing occurrence (I'll link more below).

Where that seems to be getting confused seems to come from two factors (to me):
1) This study shows that that benefit of decreasing the severity and duration comes when taking Vitamin C daily and that taking it once you have symptoms doesn't always help decrease the duration or severity (so it should be taken even before you feel ill, but hold on because there is some information I'll link later that recommends slightly differently).
2) There are actually studies that shows it cutting the likelihood to develop a cold in half, but these are typically seen in very strenuous situations like extreme sport fatiguing scenarios (marathons) or military training (and often in extreme conditions of cold as well). I guess you could argue this means it might be more beneficial for hard training athletes, but I don't think most people have training that qualifies for this (BUT maybe your life stress may make it worth it or during particular training situations).

Vitamin C reduces the severity of common colds: a meta-analysis
-More recent meta-analysis showing it may help with intensity and duration. Still some conflicting information with potential for dose benefit, but just continues to confirm this consensus.
-This one is more helpful for being able to consolidate so many studies and give a place to pull more from when needed.

Vitamin C in the Prevention and Treatment of the Common Cold
-I am starting to feel lazy so here is just a direct quote:
"While regularly administered vitamin C did not seem to affect the incidence of the common cold in the general population, the review also analyzed 31 comparisons on the effect of regular vitamin C supplementation on symptom duration and severity of colds. The results indicated that regular vitamin C supplementation (at an average dose of 1-2 g/day) resulted in a significant reduction in the duration of common colds, an 8% reduction for adults and 14% reduction for children. The severity of cold symptoms was also reduced. "
-This one also mentions some dosing, but as with many of the other studies one of the difficulties falls to the fact that studies use different measures of what they consider symptoms and severity so it may be difficult to precisely assess exactly what can be recommended and assumed for how effective it may be.
-Highlighting this one due to the fact it did show benefit to dosing after noticing symptoms, but must be done within 24 hours and for 5 days duration for most likely benefit.

Vitamin C for preventing and treating the common cold
-I'll probably stop here because many of these will just be highlighted already in the meta above if anyone really wants to dig, but this highlights a few points I think are worthwhile.
-Again going to just copy the conclusion:
"The failure of vitamin C supplementation to reduce the incidence of colds in the general population indicates that routine vitamin C supplementation is not justified, yet vitamin C may be useful for people exposed to brief periods of severe physical exercise. Regular supplementation trials have shown that vitamin C reduces the duration of colds, but this was not replicated in the few therapeutic trials that have been carried out. Nevertheless, given the consistent effect of vitamin C on the duration and severity of colds in the regular supplementation studies, and the low cost and safety, it may be worthwhile for common cold patients to test on an individual basis whether therapeutic vitamin C is beneficial for them. Further therapeutic RCTs are warranted. "

Overall I think that helps highlight many of the current state of the research. Some issues just tend to be trying to turn how scientific studies use words to say something with how you can interpret that in the real world. I'd say based on all this:
1) Take it daily since it is cheap and may possibly help decrease symptoms (with some saying that you need this daily dosing to get the benefits, as in not just once you feel sick).
2) Maybe take more during particularly stressful times and/or bump that dosage up (even to like 8g+) when you feel sick (almost like hedging your bets, take some daily then might as well bump up when feeling sick or stressed to see if it personally provides help). Keep in mind to spread the dosage out as too much all at once can cause GI distress.

Sorry for slight derailment, but that might be helpful for anyone as I know this topic does come up from time to time.
Tons of credible studies on the topic. My only point was that there is drfinately a possibility that If somebody waits until they're already sick it's a little too late. And in the bigger scheme of things, how long are we usually sick. Im normally 24hrs to 7 days depending on what it is?

So my entire point in all of this Was not too wait until your sick to start taking vitamins. Just take your vitamins all the time like everyone should in the first place.

I definitely feel like everything I initially said was taken out of context, Not particularly by you, just in general. Like everyone thought I was trying to discredit v-c or something, im not, I take it every day of my life for the most part.

The only reason that I brought up the studies in the first place was because i knew it was gonna go up peoples ass if I didnt. Theres studies That are literally from the same base sources that disagree with each other on this topic. And the real answer is that there's no definitive answer.

So everyone should just do themselves a favor and take their vitamins all the time, just in case.

Last edited:
big_jewels

big_jewels

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The below could be a good place to start to try to decrease duration of symptoms and try to be as preventative as possible. There are more studies on the below as well but these are a few that piqued my interest while doing research, as well as the countless individual experiences review data that I went through to show a + for, so some light reading for those interested.

However, I have not tried this myself as I have what I call the "cockroach gene" meaning I do not get symptoms from colds or flus.
My wife is on the other spectrum and is immunocompromised. So the supplements below have been taken solely by her and have all been proven to help her - 1. She doesn't get sick as much as she used to. 2. The duration of her symptoms or days sick when she does catch something is cut down and whatever it doesn't effect her as harshly.

Cheers !

Elderberry
"In our trial elderberry supplementation decreased the symptom load (mean 21 vs. 34) and shortened the cold duration by approximately two days (mean 4.75 days vs. 6.88 days)"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4848651/#:~:text=Our%20trial%20is%20consistent%20with,6.88%20days).

Astralagus
"Astragalus Membranaceus Treatment Protects Raw264.7 Cells from Influenza Virus by Regulating G1 Phase and the TLR3-Mediated Signaling Pathway"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6955127/

Colostrum

"Prevention and Treatment of Influenza with Hyperimmune Bovine Colostrum Antibody"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24774068/

Last edited:
TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The only thing i really do except for rest and staying hydrated, is to stick to my regular eating schedule. So i tend to always put on weight when im sick, i never loose any bodyweight.

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Tons of credible studies on the topic. My only point was that there is drfinately a possibility that If somebody waits until they're already sick it's a little too late. And in the bigger scheme of things, how long are we usually sick. Im normally 24hrs to 7 days depending on what it is?

So my entire point in all of this Was not too wait until your sick to start taking vitamins. Just take your vitamins all the time like everyone should in the first place.

I definitely feel like everything I initially said was taken out of context, Not particularly by you, just in general. Like everyone thought I was trying to discredit v-c or something, im not, I take it every day of my life for the most part.

The only reason that I brought up the studies in the first place was because i knew it was gonna go up peoples ass if I didnt. Theres studies That are literally from the same base sources that disagree with each other on this topic. And the real answer is that there's no definitive answer.

So everyone should just do themselves a favor and take their vitamins all the time, just in case.
I agree 100% that to start taking vitamin c AFTER you are already sick isn’t a magic potion. Wearing a condom after you got “the drip” is futile. Taking a great regimen of vitamins prior to getting sick will decrease the likelihood of getting sick and potentially lessen the blow if you do get sick. I am currently running a case study on this hypothesis…daughter moved back in last week from bf house as his mother had some sort of psychological breakdown, she was nice enough to come home w a nasty cold and 101 fever. She started taking my vitamins when she came back and was sick for LESS time. The misses and I both take vitamin c, d3, b6, b12, and a b complex. I also take a magnesium. So far, we are both fine. My wife has an autoimmune issue so she is the better point of reference.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I agree 100% that to start taking vitamin c AFTER you are already sick isn’t a magic potion. Wearing a condom after you got “the drip” is futile. Taking a great regimen of vitamins prior to getting sick will decrease the likelihood of getting sick and potentially lessen the blow if you do get sick. I am currently running a case study on this hypothesis…daughter moved back in last week from bf house as his mother had some sort of psychological breakdown, she was nice enough to come home w a nasty cold and 101 fever. She started taking my vitamins when she came back and was sick for LESS time. The misses and I both take vitamin c, d3, b6, b12, and a b complex. I also take a magnesium. So far, we are both fine. My wife has an autoimmune issue so she is the better point of reference.
Hope Your daughter feels better and everyone else stays healthy. Seems like it's a rough year for everyone getting sick.

I think we figured out my neice is the little germ spreder here. Shes 11, we pick her Up from school three days a week and she spends the night every friday. Last friday/saturday is when I got sick and my Sister in law was nice enough to tell us Got the week before I was sick. My niece was sick right up and tell about the time I got sick lol.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Ok that’s fair enough.

Maybe I’ll make a thread about misconceptions of studies one day when I feel less lazy since it’s still commonly being misconstrued, but that’s not fully here nor there.

Ok I know I misread what Smont said but this is what I was talking about. It doesn’t typically decrease likelihood of getting sick. And your analogy doesn’t really make sense if nothing ever worked after you had some ailment you’d never need to use anything once inflicted.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Hope Your daughter feels better and everyone else stays healthy. Seems like it's a rough year for everyone getting sick.

I think we figured out my neice is the little germ spreder here. Shes 11, we pick her Up from school three days a week and she spends the night every friday. Last friday/saturday is when I got sick and my Sister in law was nice enough to tell us Got the week before I was sick. My niece was sick right up and tell about the time I got sick lol.
Ya little kids are nasty. 😂

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

Thanks bud. She seems to be on the up and up. Just the dry cough now parked in her lungs. Was sniffles and fever prior.
hope you are getting back to 100%. Is the Marlboro man’s love child out of your lungs? I know I misquoted that and whatever your reference was funny.

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Ok that’s fair enough.

Maybe I’ll make a thread about misconceptions of studies one day when I feel less lazy since it’s still commonly being misconstrued, but that’s not fully here nor there.

Ok I know I misread what Smont said but this is what I was talking about. It doesn’t typically decrease likelihood of getting sick. And your analogy doesn’t really make sense if nothing ever worked after you had some ailment you’d never need to use anything once inflicted.
Full disclosure
I read from newest to oldest, and read nothing more than the post I responded to.
I am made of analogies more for humor and my own personal amusement. Semantical digressions and digressing semantically. Honestly I have ZERO FUKS TO GIVE.

DaveMcNaul

DaveMcNaul

Awards
  • Established
I was a little bit sick, nothing to worry about it... so I worked hard, it was a good workout.

The day after I started to feel really bad.
1 month in a bed with flu type B.

My inmune system was too low and the workout made it worse.

Just rest, you will be fine after a week of hard training.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I was a little bit sick, nothing to worry about it... so I worked hard, it was a good workout.

The day after I started to feel really bad.
1 month in a bed with flu type B.

My inmune system was too low and the workout made it worse.

Just rest, you will be fine after a week of hard training.
Ive definately had similar happen after Being sick and trying to go back to the gym too soon. You get to the gym and you have this awesome workout and you feel like everything's back to normal. And then the following day you're trashed. At least that's what happened to me a few times

DaveMcNaul

DaveMcNaul

Awards
  • Established
Ive definately had similar happen after Being sick and trying to go back to the gym too soon. You get to the gym and you have this awesome workout and you feel like everything's back to normal. And then the following day you're trashed. At least that's what happened to me a few times
same here, you think is a minor cold, and if you rest probably you will be fine in a short period of time but if you expose your immune system to a crazy workout, it is a bad idea.

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I felt meh like something was coming on. I went and did legs. You know “cowboy the fuk up and push on through”. HUGE MISTAKE. I was the sickest I had been in a while. Got the flu. The doms w full body aches was unparalleled

DaveMcNaul

DaveMcNaul

Awards
  • Established
I felt meh like something was coming on. I went and did legs. You know “cowboy the fuk up and push on through”. HUGE MISTAKE. I was the sickest I had been in a while. Got the flu. The doms w full body aches was unparalleled
I had crazy chills with no fever, the pain in my legs was insane.

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I remember it the way you would a broken bone.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I've done this a few times as well. I've learned now if I'm not feeling right to just rest and recover to give my body a chance to fight it off.