WHAT ARE THE BEST BOOKS ON NUTRITION AND TRAINING?

bigsexy74

bigsexy74

Awards
  • Established
wasn't sure what forum to post this in, but if anyone wants to move it feel free. i was wondering what are some of the best books you all have read on the topics. i'm interested in the scientific portion of nutrition (how your body takes in the nutrients, what cells do with nutrients after digestion, etc.) and good books on exercise science not any fluffy autobiographies. thanks all.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
wasn't sure what forum to post this in, but if anyone wants to move it feel free. i was wondering what are some of the best books you all have read on the topics. i'm interested in the scientific portion of nutrition (how your body takes in the nutrients, what cells do with nutrients after digestion, etc.) and good books on exercise science not any fluffy autobiographies. thanks all.
I use a lot of such textbooks, but the best IMO, and my top four personal favourites that I keep going back to:

Burke, L. Deakin, V. (Eds.). (2006). Clinical sports nutrition (3rd ed.). NSW, Australia: McGraw Hill.

Marieb, E. N. (2004). Human anatomy and physiology (6th ed.). San Francisco: Pearson Benjamin Cummings.

McArdle, W. D., Katch, F. I. & Katch, V. L. (2007). Exercise physiology: Energy, nutrition, and human performance (6th ed.). USA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.

Wardlaw, G. M. & Hampl, J. S. (2007). Perspectives in nutrition (7th ed.). Mc-Graw Hill: New York, New York, USA.

~Team APPNUT

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i'm currently reading "Anabolic Primer" which seems promising on a couple different topics and levels

bigsexy74

bigsexy74

Awards
  • Established
thanks rosie, i was hoping you would chime in. those books are a little spendy, are those school texts? @young, thanks to you too brother, i'm gonna look into that one also.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Supertraining by the late great Mel Siff is one of the best sources on training.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
thanks rosie, i was hoping you would chime in. those books are a little spendy, are those school texts? @young, thanks to you too brother, i'm gonna look into that one also.
You're welcome :)

Yeah, they're generally textbooks used for sports science and exercise physiology degrees, and I know, expensive, running over $100 per one. However, if you're going to refer back to them again and again, then I've found it to be an excellent investment (worth their weight in gold, IMO) - especially since you cannot find these textbooks in a regular library, and I have yet to find them in a university library here since I've been here.

There are other books out there as well. These are just my top four, and they pretty much cover everything. If you want specifics re training, there are cheaper textbooks out there, and a few that go off on different tangents.

Just a few:

Ackland, J. (1998). Precision training: training programmes for 27 sports using heart rate monitors. Auckland, New Zealand: Reed Books.

Ackland, J. & Reid, B. (1996). The power to perform: A comprehensive guide to training and racing for endurance athletes (Revised ed.). Auckland, New Zealand: Reed Books.

Baechle, T. R. & Earle, R. W. (Eds.). (2000). Essentials of strength training and conditioning (2nd ed.) Hong Kong: Human Kinetics.

Delavier, F. (2006). Strength training anatomy (2nd ed.). France: Human Kinetics.

~Team APPNUT

hadijd

hadijd

Awards
Burn the Fat Feed the muscle by Tom Venuto . . . . i think i miss spelled his name but its easy to find! Got me on the right track.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Burn the Fat Feed the muscle by Tom Venuto . . . . i think i miss spelled his name but its easy to find! Got me on the right track.
^^^ This is a great non-textbook resource for those who do not understand or want the scientific stuff with it as well - Tom explains things quite well, and offers complete examples re nutrition and training for fat loss. Actually, IMO, this is the most complete specific fat loss guide/resource out there. Tom Venuto writes some great stuff re fat loss - he really knows his stuff when it comes to this area.

~Team APPNUT

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
As for textbooks, dont buy em new. Best tip I can give. You can literally get 50% or more off getting em used. I mean, as long as te pages are still in there and still read well.

bigsexy74

bigsexy74

Awards
  • Established
ya i'm actually a college student so i knew right away to look for them used, i will have to look at my local bookstore for those. thanks for the other ideas everyone