My girlfriend needs help with her diet,hcg,phentermine.

pitt6691

pitt6691

Awards
She has been taking phentermine and hcg for about 8 weeks now (through medical weightloss doctor)and they have her eating around 600 calories a day. She trains with weights 5-6 times/week and does cardio for 45minutes 2 times per day. I don't know much about female fitness but for the amount of excercise along with phentermine 600 cals seems really low. I suspect her doctor doesn't know what he is doing and need some advice. She did lose weight at first but has seen no difference in last 4 weeks. She eats 600 cals spread over 6 meals. I feel she should raise calories to around 1000 eating clean and stop the drugs for a month or 2. Any thoughts?

pitt6691

pitt6691

Awards
It sounded strange when he told her to eat whatever she wanted as long as it wasn't over 600 cals. Im not sure how hcg is supposed to work in women but it doesn't make sense to me. When we discussed it I thought it was a good idea at first so now its all my fault and she want's to give up. I can't win. :argue:

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
She has been taking phentermine and hcg for about 8 weeks now (through medical weightloss doctor)and they have her eating around 600 calories a day. She trains with weights 5-6 times/week and does cardio for 45minutes 2 times per day. I don't know much about female fitness but for the amount of excercise along with phentermine 600 cals seems really low. I suspect her doctor doesn't know what he is doing and need some advice. She did lose weight at first but has seen no difference in last 4 weeks. She eats 600 cals spread over 6 meals. I feel she should raise calories to around 1000 eating clean and stop the drugs for a month or 2. Any thoughts?
1. You don't need phentermine and hcg to achieve fat loss. And using drugs just because a doctor says so without understanding what they are supposed to do is foolish (especially if they are controversial in aiding fat loss - i.e. hcg). I recommend stopping the drugs; she doesn't need them!

2. 600 calories a day is BAD and will be doing her more damage than good (her body will be using its muscle to fuel before the fat), especially if she's training as excessively as that. 600 cal/day is flat out stupid! For fat loss you only need to decrease calories by up to 500 cal/day from maintenance (explained in the link in comment 6).

3. Weights 5-6 times a week and cardio twice a day for 45 minutes is TOO much! Overkill and completely UNneessary.

4. It's not even about "female fitness", since that much exercise on that little calories is not good for anyone, male OR female. And yes, I would advise to leave that "doctor" as soon as possible. 1200 caories a day is the MINIMUM that a female should ever have, and she shouldn't stay on this for very long periods of time, because it decreases metabolism. The reason she's not seeing a difference is because on 600 cal/day your girlfriend's body is likely to have gone into starvation mode, and will be fighting her for everything.

5. Definitely increase her calories to at LEAST 1200 cal/day, and I would honestly recommend much higher, even up to 1800-2200 cal/day (since at her exercise level she's likely to have a maintenance of at LEAST 2500 cal/day).

6. See post #4 at http://anabolicminds.com/forum/female-fitness/122489-new-forum-need.html for tips on her diet to achieve fat loss. The exercise information will also do her some good.

7. I would also recommend that she stops exercising so excessively. Unless your girlfriend is used to high volume training or was an athlete, then this is far too much for her (and especially if she just started training like this 8 weeks ago when she started using the drugs and diet). She also probably needs a good 1-2 weeks off if she's been training like this for 8 weeks.

8. Another recommendation I would make is to get your girlfriend to see a fitness management consultant or personal trainer who KNOWS their stuff, so that they can create an exercise programme specific for her, and customize a nutrition (note that I did not say "diet" because they are BAD; diet should be a LIFESTYLE nutrition plan) plan for her. Please, go about this in a HEALTHY way; not doing something that's likely to put her body at risk and damage her.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Funny, I have some ladies where I work that went to a fat loss dr and they are doing some crazy stuff too. Dr limited them to about 500 calories, on a ketogenic type diet, only allowed 10 oz of meat/day. The Dr. didn't educate them at all about what the protocol was or why they were doing it. They pay for supplements that they don't know what they are or what they do. They "weighed in" yesterday and bought some more pills and got a b12 shot. One lady said she didn't even get her other shot, which she doesn't know what that is. The worst part about it, is they pay at least $50 a week for it. And one of the ladies has been active and athletic all her life and knows it doesn't seem right, but is willing to be herded into it week after week. I told her she could lose the weight she wants on a keto diet, if she wants and I can help her do it right. She should be able to lose on a keto at 1800-2000 cals easy, but she can't seem to "break free" She finally started eating more and having some greens during the day, but she still feels like she is just wasting money. She said it is just a money mill and doesn't get any kind of personal attention or counseling at all. She told the nurse that she feels like she keeps popping out of keto, and that she had started doing some jogging and walking , and the nurse told her not to jog or run, that would definitely kick her out of keto. Tell your GF to quit wasting money on the doc and spend money on food and protein and tell the Doc to take a leap. These fat clinics piss me off so bad! It would be different if they provided some basic education about nutrition, fitness, healthy lifestyle, but they don't.

pitt6691

pitt6691

Awards
Great info. I thought it was legit at first because they say that they give nutritional counseling but its obviously just a scam. Now I feel bad because I encouraged her to do it. I will have her read this thread along with the links and get her off that stuff ASAP. Anyone have any sample meal plans I can show her?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great info. I thought it was legit at first because they say that they give nutritional counseling but its obviously just a scam. Now I feel bad because I encouraged her to do it. I will have her read this thread along with the links and get her off that stuff ASAP. Anyone have any sample meal plans I can show her?
Yeah, that stuff is NOT cool.

And they shouldn't be giving nutritional counseling unless they are QUALIFIED to do so (you really DO need to check the credentials of any health and fitness professionals you use).

As for sample meal plans, there are heaps around.

This is an example of one of my LOWer calorie days (~2000 calories):
Breakfast - cup oats/30g Leppin Pro 4/2 tbsp flaxseed oil (sometimes some frozen berries)
Morning Tea - 200g cottage cheese/tomato
Lunch - 1/2 cup basmati rice/150g tuna/1-2 cups veges
Afternoon Tea - nuts/seeds/fruit/cottage cheese, 30g Leppin Pro 4
Dinner - 100g couscous/150g chicken breast (cooked in 1 tbsp peanut butter)/1-2 cups veges

You really need to get an idea of what her maintenance calories are first, though, before looking around, as most meal plans are pretty generic and she needs one tailored for HER.

workingman16

Awards
I agree make sure the person is qualified.... not just a certified personal nutritionist at your local Max Muscle.

I would go to a registered dietician.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
''It sounded strange when he told her to eat whatever she wanted as long as it wasn't over 600 cals.''

ummmmm there is an actual protocol with a list of foods she can eat while on the hcg diet.

they also don't recommend weightlifting, lol especially 5 days a week? wtf?

you are also supposed to be only eating 500 calories - typically 100g meat ( chicken/shrimp or beef, not tuna or salmon) weighed raw, 2 vegetables, 2 specific fruits, and 2 grassini breads, and absolutely no olive oil.

sooo it sounds like she isnt doing anything like the actual HCG diet, and that is why she isn't losing weight. did she even read ''pounds and inches'' to know what to do on a plateau? google steak day.