Yet another 5-3-1 by Dmax

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Or 40 yard sprints... 10 sprints with 40-45 second rest is killer!
"sprints" was separate from everything else haha. I do 40s, 100s, 200s, 400s, ladders, all kinds of stuff. I used to run in HS. some repeat 40s are definitely excellent.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
I could try sprints but when I run I feel dumb as hell like forest Gump cause its not fluid feels like I'm stomping with every step it's odd

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
1\9\14
Cycle 5
5-3-1 week
Current weight at 4:45 am was 210

Preworkout - uncut
Intra - modern bcaa

5 mins elliptical
Foam rolling
Stretching
Broomsticks
T-spine
Warrior stance
90 /90
Ankle mobility

Deadlift 5-3-1
Warmup 1" deficit
135×5 175×5 205×3
Working sets
255×5 295×3 325×5
Sumo sets
225×5 245×2×5
(Yea u read that right sumo first sets ever)

Glute bridge ss with step-ups
90×2×8 90×2×10
Step-ups
90×4×12-20

Crunchs
50×2

Cable wood chops
80×4×10

Notes
Pretty good workout today hips and thighs are sore/tight now other then that feel great

Been doing a lot more core work not sure why just read something about doing a lot of sets for core maybe that's why

Thats it thanks for reading

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A strong core will carry over to everything, so keep that up!

Good working sets too. What did you think of sumo?

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
It was cool not really sure if I was doing it right watched a bunch of videos yours included
I lined my shins up with the rings pushed hips back bend at knees then pulled with a straight back seemed easy that's why I'm not sure if it was right looked good in the mirror

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Don't you want to get your hips down and not back on sumo? I thought the best leverage position was getting your hips as close to the bar as possible. I remember Dan Green saying to act like your dropping your nuts on the bar.

Sean/someone clarify this please. I'm going to be pulling sumo a lot here shortly.

Dura, I want to add that those before and after pics are nothing short of inspiring.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I was about to say that. Hips back won't allow an upright torso. But, Dura also said he had a straight back. By straight, do you mean braced? or upright? You want your hips as close to the bar as you can, hence the knees out. Which brings me to the misunderstood cue:

http://youtu.be/V2lAm_QLRWU

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Thank you very much Cincy

Sean I just ment braced so no rounding

Est1969

Est1969

Awards
  • Established
I totally forgot about glute bridges. Gonna start doing those again. What a great exercise.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
It was my first time doing those too
Pretty good exercise imo going to be doing them more often with more weight and setup a bit different then I was doing them today

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Sean the only thing I did notice is maybe get a bit closer to the bar and turn my feet out a bit too

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
So I was reading in someone else's log that sumo has no carry over to conventional is that the case?

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So I was reading in someone else's log that sumo has no carry over to conventional is that the case?
It's said to work a lot better the other way around my friend. Still, nothing wrong with strengthening the hips and having practice with both.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wouldn't say no carry over. Take a guy who doesn't dead at all and the guy who only pulls sumo and have them pull convo. Guess which one will pull more.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I wouldn't say no carry over. Take a guy who doesn't dead at all and the guy who only pulls sumo and have them pull convo. Guess which one will pull more.
Yea I would agree in the untrained. I will say that when I was doing sumo for a little whole exclusively my conventional suffered from a strength stand point. When ever I mess around and try now to sumo that suffers from a technical stand point.

I also must say after an honest shot I don't believe I am one of the ones meant to sumo.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes, but obviously any other movement isn't going to substitute for a compound that's very different. You're training for peak performance on conventional. Going to sumo isn't going to keep that or be as good as continuing to pull conv. But putting some light sumo work in one day a week might be complimentary in many different ways.

throneof

throneof

Awards
  • Established
I find sumos very awkward... probably because I never do them! I would like to incorporate some type of modified DL (deficit, rack pulls, sumo) as I think there may be carryover to conventional.

That was a solid looking DL session you had there, Dura

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
1/11/14
Cycle 5
5-3-1 week
Current weight at 7 am was 210

Preworkout - uncut
Intra - modern bcaa

5 mins elliptical
Foam rolling
Stretching
Broomsticks
T-spine
Warrior stance
90/90
Rotator cuff stuff

Military press 5-3-1
Warmup
Bar×2×10 75×5 95×5 115×3
Working sets
135×5 155×3 175×2

Iso-behind the head shoulder press
60×10 60×4×11

Assisted chins
100 off BW 4×8
Different machine felt heavier then normal
Facepulls
80×7×7

JM press
135×2×6 145×3×6

Paused CGBP 2 count
135×3×3

Cuban press
45×2×10

Notes
I see that the numbers I got are the same as last 5-3-1 shoulder week must have messed something up but I did notice/remember that last time 175 was a grind to get 2 this time it was much easier. it maybe that the app rounds down to nearest 5lbs too not sure not going to matter next cycle

I don't know if u have had a moment in your life where u work at some forever and can't get it then one day it clicks that was JM's for me today

Edit: added Cuban press

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
So I bought this protein powder from vitamin shopp called powercrunch the chocolate is pretty good stuff gets some floatys in it but they taste good profile is good too first ingredient is whey protein hydrolysate then isolate think it as like 35 bucks for 30 servings just wanted to share if anyone was looking for something different

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
So im sitting here in the pizza place getting ready to smash some pizza then tomorrow starts my reverse diet/lean bulk u could call it

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Hmmm.....smells good?....

Why the f@ck can I hardly ever see pics on my phone?....

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Android?

This s3 mini sucks

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Me too

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
If u go to opinion open browser u can see stuff

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
Yeah just kinda annoying

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Tomorrow starts a deloading week going use it as somewhat of a weak point /bb week as well also going increase calories by 300 and implement some sort of conditioning
Pretty certain that I'm going to hit upper and lower back and triceps hard not sure about the rest mainly leg don't know what muscle is weakest link

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Also take a break from supps other than multi, zma, vitamin D and probiotic

capo180

Awards
  • Established
That's not a bad plan man. Give the joints some rest from the heavy compound movements for a bit.

throneof

throneof

Awards
  • Established
Also take a break from supps other than multi, zma, vitamin D and probiotic
Deloads are underrated. I always feel fresh and stronger after one. I also ditch all preworkout supps during deload to restore adrenals and ward off tolerance.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
1/13/14
Cycle 5
Deloading/weak point week

Current weight at 7 am was 216!!!! WTF it will go down

Preworkout - none
Intra - modern bcaa

10 mins elliptical
Foam rolling
Stretching
Broomsticks
T-spine
Warrior stance
90 /90

Squat deload
Warmup
135×3×3
Working sets
135×5 145×5 175×5

Front squat
138×5×5

Single leg leg press
4plates×5×6

Hypertension
BW+45#×5×10

V-Crunchs
25#added 3×15

Standing cable crunchs
90×4×15

Getto prowler
2 45#plates on a stepper 30' back and forth 4 times so 240' total

Notes
Good work today not sure if I accomplished what I wanted but still felt good

Front squats are coming along nicely getting use to the movement and arms are Stretching and getting more comfortable going to add more reps and possibly weight next week

Thats it thanks for reading and have a great rest of your day

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Nice man, get that blood flowing and some GPP on the deload. No caffeine is a ballsy move haha

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Just finished up a mile walk. Figured I'd do something since I didn't work today and my calories are based on someone who doesn't sit on there ass all day watching movies. Trying to get my water intake up as well, its hard to do when I'm not working

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
1/14/14
Cycle 5
Deloading / weak point /bb

Current weight at 930 am was 215

Preworkout - none
Intra - modern bcaa

10 mins elliptical
Foam rolling
Stretching
Broomsticks
T-spine
Warrior stance
90 /90
Rotator cuff stuff

Bench press deload
Warmup
Bar×2×10 135×3×5
Working sets
145×5 155×5

Incline DB press
75×2×7 65×3×9

Low cable flys
40×5×10

BB rows
135×5×8

Lat pulldown
150×5×10

Three in one tricep
60×5×6-9

Tricep push down
100×4×15

Hammer curls
35×amrap 45×amrap 55×amrap

Notes
Well I did what I set out to do hit everything hard arms felt like they are going to pop had a bit of trouble staying motivated thou but that's easy enough to work though was going to do some treadmill but I figure I'll walk tonight and do some farmer walks Thursday

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Macro breakdown for today and yesterday
Was 2850 calories 251pro 300 carb and 65 fat

Anyone think my protein should be higher

Next week calories go up to 2950

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
IMO thats fine. You could get maybe 50 more but honestly I eat less protein and more carbs than probably almost every other guy on here who PLs and I do fine. There are some interesting studies out in the past few years that show you don't need as much protein as people used to think, getting quality in what you eat is more important. That said at 1.25 g/lb roughly, you are alright. I would shoot for like 300-350 as you up calories. Also I probably eat way more fat than you. Not telling you to change anything because obviously your diet has been working, just saying everyone is different. As you build more muscle mass over the next few years those calories will keep going up. Basically anything from 1-2g per pound is good, so you can try eating more and see if you notice a difference, but you gota be able to back the calories down in other places and look for a change in body comp so you know if the increased protein is actually increasing muscle mass or just body mass. Anyways at the low (IMO) calories you're eating, since you are cutting, 250 is a pretty good number to be at man.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Honestly, I probably only eat 125-175g protein on a normal day. I dunno, I don't have the foggiest idea what my caloric or macro breakdown is, but my goal is to put on so much muscle that one day I can eat like a dïck and still be like 15%

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ding ding ding^. I don't count. i eat as much protein (meat egg beans dairy) as I can, and then fill in with good carbs, then when those are gona eat til I'm full. lol. So it really depends on availability of food but I would guess I'm like 3500-4000 @ like 400(+/-50)/300-250/150 ISH. within that range. But like I said I don't count just know I love carbs and ice cream and drink a ton of milk every day, and love chicken and steak. haha.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
If u had to guess what would u say your at?

Starting this week I came off my diet and am trying to slowly increase caloric intake to build my lifts up bit I don't want to be where I was

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey man if you see weight going on your don't want just dial back or start doing some extra volume in your workouts. I prefer to do extra volume in my WOs and still eat more, lol.