Yet another 5-3-1 by Dmax

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice work today man and good to hear your form is good and keeping tighter. Form makes a hell of a different on all lifts and getting it down pat means better workouts an better progress.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Tightness and leg drive are both so crucial to have a good bench press.. I wish I was more consistent with leg drive my self. Some sets feel great others it feels like I get nothing.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
do you have a consistent setup? How is your arch and foot placement. I think everyone varies a little and no one is comfortable 100% of the time, else we'd probably be pros. But getting a consistent routine will definitely make you feel more consistent in setup. And it takes a little time to really pattern that and get used to it. I know I will feel real good for a while then some days just feel off.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I'm consistent with my set up, I'll set up for 135 the same way I set up for 225. I don't use a very big arch, just enough so the weight is on my traps. I bench with the feet out front. I just need to ingrain the practice of using leg drive, so I don't have to think so damn much lol. Nothing to technical, just gotta cue myself I guess.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't know how high your bench is but I can't stay stable without getting back on the balls of my feet and getting my glutes tight under me and some nice full body arch. You don't have to go crazy with the upper body back arch but the whole body tightness is really important.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
I'm figuring it out slowly grip width and stability are the two things messing me up atm not really sure where it should be after watching countless vids

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm figuring it out slowly grip width and stability are the two things messing me up atm not really sure where it should be after watching countless vids
Wherever you're strongest and healthiest. It'll take time but you'll figure out what works for you. You'll constantly be adapting

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Get your arms down where the elbows come down comfortably to the side, when you have your back big and traps hard into the bench and lats spread like a press. You want your arms straight up and down at that point. Go by that for width. It's probably closer than you think. Herder had me bring mine in and it made a heck of a difference once I got used to it.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah man. I hope what I said made sense, if not just ask me haha or get herderdude to give you some tips.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
More than happy to help. Like Country said and like Brandon Lilly told me, most people grip wider than they should on the bench press. I'm a fairly broad guy, though I suspect not as broad as Country, and my grip is a "long thumb" away from the slicks. You'll know when you find the right grip, it should fix everything all at once, IF you've got your bench principles down.

Every lift has a framework of cues that work for everyone, you do your best to fit into each and every one, the rest is just making slight adjustments from there. I find it best to focus on one cue that you're struggling with at a time. Master it, then move onto the next one that's giving you trouble.

It's a constant battle, and if you look at everyone, even the best, you'll see that their form is a little tiny bit different from meet to meet and year to year.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Forgive my stupidity still learning by sticks what exactly do u mean I know there is the center knerling then smooth then knerling again the rings then knerling again normally i place my hands a thumb length away from the smooth

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Forgive my stupidity still learning by sticks what exactly do u mean I know there is the center knerling then smooth then knerling again the rings then knerling again normally i place my hands a thumb length away from the smooth
Yeah, smooth, slicks, same thing. I was going a thumb length away from the smooth, but I moved it out maybe two inches from there, it worked out well for me.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Ahh ok thanks, I read it as sticks not slicks that's why I was confused lol

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Just finished my 3rd piece of pie 2 apple one pumpkin I think I my puke

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Well sean I didnt have anymore pie just 5 brownies a protein shake and some coconut oil

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Thanks napalm now I feel guilty everyone will ask what did u get for christmas ill say guilt ... tomorrow is back to diet as normal thou will maybe gain back 2 lbs or so if that

napalm

napalm

Awards
Thanks napalm now I feel guilty everyone will ask what did u get for christmas ill say guilt ... tomorrow is back to diet as normal thou will maybe gain back 2 lbs or so if that
Meh, I'm gonna enjoy through New Years then get back to business. You should too..,

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Today was good enough for me to be honest I have grown to love the routine of eating as many whole foods as possible and while I was eating those thing I dont think I enjoyed them as much as I used too I view food more as a tool now to achieve my goal which is to be more like u sean, country, rob and eveyone else here( if I didnt mention u by name sorry cant name u all)

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Its good to take a little break from a diet man. When every I would attempt to "cut" that sh!t was not only physically but mentally draining.. tbh i was a dumby for doing it in the first place, but after cutting for 3-4 months I'd always be sure to take a little break for at least a couple days if not a week.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Thanks capo that was only the 2nd time ive gone off my diet plan

Think im going to start 3's week over been stuck at mobis Detroit working 12's and I have to work 12 tomorrow and maybe sun so this week is shot for doing anything gym or life related I would pick right off where I left off but I hate it when my week get messed up or mash into one another

capo180

Awards
  • Established
12 hour days suck.. I do turns one week I do 4 nights next week ill do 4 day lights. Night shifts are nice cause I can workout before work, but day shifts are horrible so hard to get the drive to go lift after working 12 hours.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
12-30-13
Cycle 5
Repeat 3's

First I need to stop being lazy on my days off and do some mobility work was pretty tight today when I first got there

Preworkout- uncut
Intra- modern bcaa

Foam rolling
LaCrosse ball smash
Stretching
Broomsticks
T-spine
Warrior stance
90/90

Squat 3's repeat
Warmup
Barx5 135x5 145x5 175x3
Working sets
205x3 235x3 265x6
Pyramid sets
235x3 205x2x3 paused 3-5 seconds

Front squat
95x2x5 115x2x5 135x5

Back extensions
100x4x10

Cable crunches
90x3x10 120x8

Notes
Squats went well form was tight and felt smooth really worked on ankle mobility before hand and focused on hip hinging

Front squats I figured if country can suck it up and learn it, I can stop being a bitch and get **** done. It seemed the more weight I put on bar the easier it was to get my hands in the right position

So got some money from Christmas anyone got any suggestions on a purchase that they felt was really beneficial to there training I was thinking bands, compression short and a new gym bag

That's it thanks for reading

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A pair of minibands would be a good purchase. A single average band can be good for distractions. What things are ya interested in?

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Nice session!

If you don't have a good belt that is number one to me.

Then bands, just a couple sets really all that is necessary.

Then wraps.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Thanks rob I forgot about wraps at least wrist ones and I have a great belt

I dont know sean I was just trying to see what people had that they felt helped with mobility or their training then I would research it and make a decision if its right for me

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks rob I forgot about wraps at least wrist ones and I have a great belt I dont know sean I was just trying to see what people had that they felt helped with mobility or their training then I would research it and make a decision if its right for me
Miniband/s and an average band would be good for mobility work. Rumble roller is nice but PVC pipe can work just fine. Wrist wraps would be good. I wouldn't say there's a need for knee wraps unless you want to eventually compete in them. Compression shorts you mentioned, feels good on the hips.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Definitely want bands just wish they were as cheap as they were a few weeks ago

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
12-31-13
Cycle 5
Repeat 3's

Yesterday was 211 at 4:45 am
Today weight was 208 at 7am

Preworkout-uncut
Intra-modern bcaa

5 min elliptical
Foam rolling
LaCrosse ball smash
Stretching
Broomsticks
T-spine
Warrior stance
Rotator cuff work
Light side and front raises

Bench press repeat 3's
Warmup
Barx10 85x5 105x5 125x3
Working sets
155x3 175x3 195x6
Pyramid sets
175x3 155x2x3 155x4 (155 all paused for a 1 count)

DB incline press
70x5x7

BB rows
135x2x10 155x2x8 175x6

Tricep v-bar push down
100x15 120x2x12 150x2x10

Notes
Fasted workout this morning
Bench press was great got my set up down pretty much just working on grip width now, think I got it pegged. last set was too wide thou started to hurt the shoulder a bit

Everything else was my standard work

Thats it thanks for reading

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good work today my man. Keep plugging away. How are you liking 5-3-1 after 4-5 cycles?

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
I think its great I cant see myself ever getting tired of it and if i do there are so many variations I can just change it a bit. im excited to see what I can do when i start eating more after this cycle I expect big things

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
So in an effort to get tight and get a good arch on my bench I pulled the crap out of my neck been putting the heat on it when I got home and trying to stretch it out

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
To all members
May this new year bring u much success in your life whether it be gains or pr's in gym, new member to the family, new job or simply a good grade in class

I hope for u and your family it's a good one

Happy new year
Dmax

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Well just got back from cabelas after an hr long drive one way in a snow storm just to use the gifts cards I got. I don't hunt or fish so brought a really nice bench made knife and a Under Armour wounded warrior project hat and shirt I hope at least some of the money makes it to them

Going to not be lazy today and do some mobility stuff and rolling and surf YouTube videos for mobility and lift technique

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Which Cabela's didja hit up?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Dundee in good weather is like 20 mins from the house we go quite a bit cause my son likes the animals and I buy work gear

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Welcome u got in just at the right time after this cycle we should see big things happening as I switch from cut to maintains to slight surplus

1-3-14
Cycle 5
3's week

Current weight at 4:45am was 209

Preworkout - uncut
Intra - modern bcaa

5 mins elliptical
Foam rolling
Stretching
Broomsticks
T-spine
Warrior stance
90/90

Deadlift 3's
Warmup 1" deficit
135x5 185x5 205x3
Working sets
245x3 275x3 315x6
Pyramid sets
275x3 245x8

BB good mornings ss with Bulgarian split squat
GM'S 185x5x5
BSS 25# plates each hand 5x10 each leg

Wood chops
80x4xamrap

Notes
Not a bad day my eating schedule got messed up today only took 1 break so my Preworkout meal consists of 1lbs of chicken some blue cheese, green salsa and hot sauce with a side of cashew butter. Needless to say during deadlift I thought I was going to puck

BSS first time doing these not bad probably could have done a couple more on each set

Thats it, thanks for reading

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Good work man!

Lifting on a full stomach sucks especially deads or squats hah.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
1-4-14
Cycle 5
3's week

Current weight at 7 am was 209

Preworkout - uncut
Intra - modern bcaa

5 mins elliptical
Foam rolling
Stretching
Broomsticks
T-spine
Warrior stance
90/90
Light front and side raises

Military press 3's
Warmup
Bar×10 75×5 95×5 115×3
Working sets
125×3 145×3 165×4
Pyramid sets
145×3 125×10

Kneeing landmine shoulder press
Bar+50×2×8 Bar+40×3×9

Assisted chins
40 off BW 5 sets of 5-6

Facepulls
70×5×12

CGBP
135×10 155×2×7 145×2×7

Paused CGBP
125×3×5

Machine Bicep curls
90×4×amrap with triple dropset on last set
Notes
Fasted workout again don't see any difference in performance

Not really a way to acount for the weight of the bar in Landmine press so I just say bar + whatever

Really like paused sets arms and legs seem to respond well to them so far

Thats it thanks for reading

Thanks capo

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
So question
Can I use the deload week as kind of a weak point week still staying light on mains but going hard on say triceps for a few different movements like CGBP then some pull down and Skullcruchers something to that effect or would that be to much or not be beneficial?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think it's a good idea. All my assistance work stays the same. I just dial down the main movements. Try some new stuff or just hit what you know works.