Duramaxhd

Awards
I can see that, it's all about balance I guess trial and error

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If u had to guess what would u say your at?

Starting this week I came off my diet and am trying to slowly increase caloric intake to build my lifts up bit I don't want to be where I was
Guesstimation, it's hard. I do eat 6-10 eggs at a time, and big portions of meat, protein bars and lots of PB&J. Maybe it's closer to 150-200, but that's right in line with where I need to be. As far as fats, I'm way up over 100g a day. And carbs would be anywhere from 4500-600, depending on if there's pop in the house. So I'm looking at 3250-4200 calories a day. Total stab in the dark, though. I don't do shakes, I don't do milk, I eat a lot of food. When I would diet in the past, it would be in the neighborhood of 2650-2950.

Keeping in mind that I don't count and my diet is as lax as they come. But, I have read every food label I've seen since I was a little kid, I have used calorie counter apps in the past and I've been eating for size since I was 14.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Thanks Sean interesting reading

Thanks herder I was just trying to compare to see what people were doing calorie wise and macro wise

I know everyone is different and everyone who has chimed in lifts considerably more then me so I'm going to take it slow

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Of course, buddy. I'm a slow(er) metabolism guy, so I don't have to eat as much for my size as most, with a pretty ideal frame for this stuff, and I've been training intensely for a LONG time, despite my age. Every trend out there, I've done and have my notes on it. At this stage in the game, I can get away with things that somebody with a lower LBM and training age can't. The volume of training and food I give myself is a little more than most can handle because of tha.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have some articles I was thinking about posting but they agree with seans. Some studies have seen more growth with a little more than 1g, but IMO 1 gram or a little more is a good place to be. For most of us, we aren't counting so we are just trying to get close that number. Sometimes above, sometimes, under. Like I said I eat a lot of good carbs and stuff good protein in there with it. Carbs are your friend when it comes to performance in the gym. Protein is your friend for recovery. And Fat is your friend for about 1000s things. Just eat a good balance and work hard... dial back if you need to cut some fat, and enjoy.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1g Protein/.4-.5g Fat per lbs of bodyweight for me. Fill in the rest with carbs based on training volume and caloric needs.

I usually recommend .8-1g/lbs (1g is just so easy to calculate, but most people I work with don't really "count" their calories) for most people. I personally get more just because I a) LOVE protein sources so tend to eat more of it and b) get a ton of trace sources from my fats and carbs. I should also note I don't really "count" anymore either, but I've done it in the past for so long that I almost automatically calculate it in my head as I eat (wish I would stop doing that though lol).

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Thanks bolt I know what your saying about counting in your head I do it all the time.. Then I'll do it to my wife I sit an figure out her dinner compared to mine she hates it lol

Everyone's response has be very helpful and I thank u

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Subbed. Sorry I'm late...usually don't miss 5/3/1 logs!

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
1/16/14
Cycle 5
Deloading/weak point /bb

Current weight at 8am was 214

Preworkout - none
Intra - modern bcaa

10 mins elliptical
Foam rolling
Stretching
Broomsticks
T-spine
Warrior stance
90/90

Deadlift deload (setsxreps)
Warmup 4" deficit
135×3×5
Working sets
135×5 175×5 225×5

BB good mornings
135×5×8

Leg extentions
150×4×12

Leg curls
150×4×15

Walking lungs
BW×35'×6 passes

Weighted sit-ups
10# 2×10

Leg raises
2×10

Side bends
90# 2×10

Kneeling cable crunchs
135×2×20

Conditioning
Farmer walks
70# DB×2 1 min laps × 3

Notes
Ok day today was fighting some bad lower back and hip pain/tightness but managed to work thought it. Going to try putting some heat to it

Was looking though my 5-3-1 book and ran acrossed a section on abs and how wendler worked up to training abs 4 times a week so it thought I'd give it a shot so today was loosely based on what I read

Thats it thanks for reading

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You see T Nation got the next 5 weeks of Wendler's 5/3/1 1.1 posted?

I started the 1.1 on Tuesday. Love it.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Really cool how its all layed out for u and free for that matter

I mite give it a shot someday

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Good vids! Two of my favorites. Love Brandon and Mark pop up in my YouTube feed!

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Yesterday
1-18-14
Cycle 5
Deloading /weak point /bb

Current weight at 7 am was 214

Preworkout - none
Intra - modern bcaa

10 mins elliptical
Foam rolling
Stretching
Broomsticks
T-spine
Warrior stance
90 /90
Rotator cuff stuff

Active Warmup
Side raises
15×3×15

Military press deload
Warmup
85×3×5
Working sets
85×5 95×5 115×5

Arnold press
40×5×9

Bradford press
65×4×8

Assisted chins
30 off ×5 40 off×4×5

Facepulls
60×5×15

Smith machine CGBP
155×2×12 175×3×8

Skullcruchers
60×5×10

Overhead cable tricep extensions (rope)
60×3×10

Rear delt destroyer
Started with 45 DB then 30, 20,10

Ab bench
10#added 3×10

Laying leg raises
3×10

Standing cable crunchs
70×3×15

Side bends
90×2×10 per side

Machine curls
75×3×10 with a drop set

Cable hammer curls (arms shot at this point)
30×3×10

Notes
Hell of a day yesterday got a lot done abs are sore today triceps aren't to bad yet

I'm sad to say I did all the extra arm work just to get a bit of a pump going for dinner that night going out with some of my wife's friends we hadn't seen in a year so was trying to look my best

If u haven't done Bradford press I recommend giving it a try

That's it thanks for reading

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do you always pyramid back down for thevmain lift like that?

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Yea it's something I read in 5-3-1 and beyond just a bit of extra volume. I've recently been adding pause set on the last/first set (depending how u look at it) on bench and squat since most agree that it is beneficial

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yea it's something I read in 5-3-1 and beyond just a bit of extra volume. I've recently been adding pause set on the last/first set (depending how u look at it) on bench and squat since most agree that it is beneficial
Great stuff. I plan to add that into my 5/3/1! Thanks

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Workout & nutritional update

Age 32
Weight 214
Years of lifting experience 1.5

New Year = New Goals
Now that my year and a quarter long cut is over its time to make a couple of new goals

1) lncrease calories to around 3500 in the next 5 weeks. Then maintain that for a bit and adjust if necessary
I would like to maintain my weight but if not, go no higher then 230 then recomp back down

2) Increase main lifts, work on form and mobility
I'm going to stick with the way I'm running 5-3-1 atm could change but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Also I bought a note book to log weights and rep for easier reference

Nutrition/diet
My diet is really clean typically no grains except ezekiel bread, limited dairy, lean meats lots of fruits, vegetables, nut butters and healthy oils
Currently carb cycling with highs on bench and squat, medium on deadlift and press all the rest are fat days going to shoot for between 200 and 250g of protein (25 more on workout days) and fill the rest in depending on the day

Supplementation
Doing 4 shakes (2 daytime 1 prebed 1 additional on workout days
Basics
Multivitamin
Creatine mono
Fish oil
Zma
Probiotic
Vitamin C&D
Asprin

Additional
Bcaa
Beta alanine
Tmg
Dhea
Forskolin 10%std (dosage?)
Cla
Prime (sorry rob already had it bought)
Ap
Leucine/agmatine

Special thanks
I just wanted to thank everyone for your support and all the information, cause without you much of this would not have been possible probably would have ended up injured or giving up

Lastly if u have any questions or concerns feel free to post them

Thanks for reading. Dmax

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
So went to Detroit international auto show this morning was pretty cool I'm really happy GM is bringing back the Colorado and Canyon going to offer a 4 cylinder diesel with 307hp and 480 lbs of torque not bad for a little truck

Now on to work out, first day back since stim break first day AP and Prime

1/20/14
Redo cycle 5 (see notes)
5's week

Current weight at 530 am was 216

Preworkout - uncut
Intra - Alpha Amino from cellucor watermelon taste is ok

7 minutes elliptical
Foam rolling
Stretching
Broomsticks
T-spine
Warrior stance
90 /90
Ankle mobility

Squat 5's (setsxreps)
Warmup
Bar ×10 135×5 145×5 175×3
Working sets
195×5 225×5

Wife calls son is sick 101 fever need to go pick him up from daycare

Working sets continued
255×7 225×5
Paused sets
195×5 ×3

And I left

Notes
shame I had to cut it short the first day back I was feeling great. felt like I could have squatted a house no muscle stiffness at all smooth good form but my son is more important so I left
At least I got the main in that's the big thing and I don't think it should effect anything

Decided to redo cycle 5 I wanted to start my caloric increase with a running start, also do to the fact I was off creatine for a week and had read u lose a bit of strength not sure if was broscience thou.

I also set press back 5lbs felt like it needed it.To me it's really not a big deal when I looked at the bigger picture.

That's it thanks for reading. Dmax

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Stuff happens man and family comes first. You still got in some quality squat work.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hey man, some guys in here love Prime. The forskolin should be dosed at 500mgs for 10% extract. Some people do more, but that is what the studies call for in weight loss. Dose at least 2 months.

Hope all is well with the fam.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Yea it does, but he is doing much better now ate 2 small bowls of fruit loops and his fever is going down and he's running around the house

Apparently fruit loops are a super food who knew. take note for next time u get sick Sean

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Anyone have any clue as to why the top of my neck/base of skull and traps are tight everyday and is there any way to address it?

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Kstarr has a shoulder flossing video on YouTube.. That might help you out a bit.

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
1/21/14
Cycle 5 redo
5's week

Preworkout - uncut
Intra - Alpha amino

7 mins arctrainer
Foam rolling
Stretching
Broomsticks
T-spine
Warrior stance
90 /90
Ankle mobility
All mobility twice since I was home with the boy

Bench press 5's
Warmup
Bar×10 85×10 105×10 125×10
Working sets
145×5 165×5 185×6 165×5
Paused sets
145×3×5

Incline DB press
70×10 70×2×7 70×6 70×4

Hammer Iso-lat pulldown
90×10 90×3×8 90×6

Skullcruchers
50×20 50×2×15

Tricp pushdowns (rope)
80×5×8

Notes
Had an epiphany today while doing paused bench on how my arms should travel and how to squeeze the bar to stay tight and maintain that travel. hope it will translate into something great seemed good on the paused sets

U are going to see some variation in my reps do to the fact I instituted a breath time limit In between sets about 15-20 deep breaths it's an attempt to control time and have consistency in the gym.
It only for assistance work thou mains are still based on feel

Last I'm going to place a back exercise with DL, bench, and shoulder day some form of row and probably going to rotate them forward one each week so it's not the same one on the same day each week. My hope is this will help with my weak bench among other things

That's it thanks for reading. Dmax

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Always good to have a 'piphany. Now keep locking it in week after week!

atanocc

atanocc

Awards
Nice work bud. Keep it up brotha I usually like to pull every time I do a variation of a press. Or even pull twice as much if I'm up for it

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
So I was looking at my log way back on 9/3/13 my top set of 5 was 165×6 yesterday it was 185×6 I'd say that's a pretty good improvement it's about on par with what it should be following 5-3-1

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'd say so! Not to mention that you lost weight along the way.

Motivation, my good sir.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That's why I love having numbers from before. Your doing great DMax!

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Thanks rob, I really hope that the increase in calories and small tweaks I've made to the program help I just don't want to fall into the trap of adding endless exercises that have no effect

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
1/23/14
Cycle 5 redo
5's week

Preworkout - uncut
Intra - Alpha amino

7 mins arctrainer
Foam rolling
Stretching
Broomsticks
T-spine
Warrior stance
90 /90
Ankle mobility

Deadlift conv 5's + sumo
Warmup 2" deficit
145×10 175×8 215×5
Working sets (conv+sumo)
235×5c+235×5s 265c×5+265×5s 305×7c+305×5s

Seated cable row
130×10 130×4×8 (last 2 sets last 2 reps cheated a bit)

Glute bridge ss with step ups
100×4×8
Step ups
100×4×10-12

Situps
2×10

Lying leg raises
3×10

Kneeling cable crunchs
95×2×20 95×30

Side bends
90×2×10

Conditioning
Farmers walk
90# DB×2 50 sec walks×3

Notes
Good day moved a lot of weight on DL today. 7 on the last set is a conservative guess, may have done more but was going so good I forgot to count. Watch Mark Bell video of him reping out DL and set up similar to him really liked it

I did move DL up 10# this cycle after seeing my strength is still there, too late for the others

I can really tell that farmers walks are going to help with my grip been really pushing to hold on at the end

First time ever doing any kind of seated cable row never did them cause I heard they were bad for shoulders think that's bs now

Thats all I can think of for now
Thanks for reading. Dmax

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Good work man! Combining the sumo and conventional that's a good idea.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good work dude. Seated cable rows are actually pretty healthy. That's what I used when my should hurt the worst. A lot of people just do it with stupid ass form.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Seated cable with a controlled low back movement is actual correct as far as I knew. Good work brother

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
A lot of it is from that, other is leftover from squat day it seems if I take a light week/deload the following week I get a lot of tightness in my inner thigh/graiclis (maybe the muscle) but In subsequent weeks it's not a problem

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Truck really disagreed with the -8 temp this morning and and only being plugged in for about 2hrs blew a lot of smoke lol

Duramaxhd

Duramaxhd

Awards
Quick vote have a cheat meal with beef ribs tonight yea or no

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Its ribs so ya. ;)