Volcom's Slim Xtreme Mini Log

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
How would you compare this to Leviathan Reloaded.

I'm considering just going ahead and getting SX with the DCP and LE.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
How would you compare this to Leviathan Reloaded.

I'm considering just going ahead and getting SX with the DCP and LE.
I prefer SX over Leviathan, but my opinion is biased based on the fact that the Yohimbine in LR gives me all day migrains, so I never make it past the first 3 days before I quite.

SX is really unique in experience, I would suggest the SX either way. I'm not sure if the superior form of Yohimbine in LR mimics some of the regulations as regular Yohimbine, such as a spike in insulin renders it useless, so unless your a morning, fasted cardio type of guy, the LR is a bit constricting in that aspect, IMO.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some phucked up $hit

I work at a Law Firm, and we advertise in the Chinese Yellow pages as well as other forms of advertisement, as we have a Chinese speaker at our firm.

Yesterday, some Chinese dude called and says to our Chinese speaker, "I want to come by your office to collect $20,000.00." When asked why, he replied, "I have brothers who have been watching your office for several days and we need $20,000.00 to smuggle back into China."

This guy, who only addresses himself as Mr. Chan, called back again today for another demand, so we called the cops, but nothing much can be done with a phone threat.

We called our phone company to try and get the number, because *69 reached a number set on private, but we'd need a court order to access an incoming number.

[cops arrived to take our report]

Apparently, this is a wave of activity targeting Asian communities and is being handled by the "Asian Crimes Task Force." There are these two Chinese dudes that have been smoking outside of our building, I was about to run out and hit them up, but after what the cops told us, its most likely not a locally stationed criminal. They call through Vonage (internet phone) which makes it hard to trace and the money account they have submissive victims wire their money to is in Europe.

Damn my people's and their Triad like behaviors.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Asians are so wily...they scare the crap out of me, though. I don't know why. They have so much energy.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
How the hell do they stay so skinny?:rant:
The brain does use glucose as fuel :thinking: That said, I may be one of the few Asians who completely sucks at Math, but I can the hell out of some video games.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
so much more badass....

i thought the japanese were samarui?

screw it i'm just going with slick and saying hawaiians surf a little...
They're both... :28: Greedy bastards! :soapbox:

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can spring up from my back like they do. I've always been proud of that.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
...actually, I can do a lot of that stuff, just not as quickly...and I can't do a front flip and go right into a back flip. I've only done that on trampolines.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Go to the last few seconds of that video where the dude runs up the wall and slides back down, and then spazzes out and does palm-strikes in the air. THAT'S what I'm talking about! Those are the people that scare me. They have way too much energy.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Go to the last few seconds of that video where the dude runs up the wall and slides back down, and then spazzes out and does palm-strikes in the air. THAT'S what I'm talking about! Those are the people that scare me. They have way too much energy.
hahaha, it was funnier after I read the post.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Final Post

Final Post

I suppose this is a good of time as any to close down this mini log. It wasn't intended to be long running or extensive, so in the spirit of the mini'ness, this will be the final post in regards to SX.

First off, my last logged workout using SX and it was an abdnormally encouraging experience. I had two people rant & rave about how lean I've gotten and telling me how my midsection has become noticeably leaner from the last time they saw me. I had a huge ego booster all morning.

There's this really cool guy at the gym, an old school, competitive power lifter, who upon first impression, you'd think he was a poster boy for the Aryan Nation, but he's actually a really cool, very personable and friendly. One of the nicest guys at the gym in my opinion . He first started talking to me when I used to do heavy deads, because I was the only one at my gym who would consistently put up 455lbs+ so he liked to talk deads and his competitive powerlifting days, even though I was doing it for bodybuilding purposes. Whenever he see's me, he likes to give me pointers, he may or may not think I compete, so he likes to give me trade secrets to effective powerlifting. I'll come back to this story....

Unlike most people, I have an actual, “Traps Day.” Wherefore, as the name implies, my sole target muscles are my traps for the entirety of the workout.

TRAPS

Barbell Shrugs
225lbs x 20 reps
315lbs x 15 reps
365lbs x 12 reps
365lbs x 10 reps (I normally move up to 405, but my strength wasn't there, I could tell from my previous set).

Smith-Behind The Neck Barbell Shrugs
315lbs x 10 reps
365lbs x 10 reps
405lbs x 8 reps

At this point, the Aryan Nation guy walks up and says, “let me show you something, first take off your straps.” He grabs the squat, neck pad and wraps it around the bar, I can tell he's about to show me the Smith-One Arm Shrug, which I was planning on performing next anyway, but he informs me to do it without my straps and to grip the now, fat-bar effect of the added squats, neck pad. He tells me how this will thoroughly improve my grip and how he's never dropped the bar during a competition, (again with the signs of perhaps he thinks I compete). I do three sets of these to be polite, in order to show appreciation, even though I couldn't do the weight I wanted due to the strapless, fat-grip, but it was cool.

Smith- Fat Grip, One Arm Shrugs
135lbs x 10 on each side, x 3 sets

While I'm doing these shrugs, of course my traps contract into a second mound above my delts and Aryan Nation guy keeps yelling out, “That's lunch! That's lunch! Look at those traps, that's lunch and dinner.” I didnt know if that was some kind of old school slang, but whatever. He continues to rave about how solid my traps look and keeps calling them lunch or dinner. Then he says, “You know how when people say if they were stuck on an island they'd want to be stuck with a hot girl. Not me, I'd want to be stuck with a muscular guy, so I could tie him up and eat him. Eat his bi's for a snack and eat his other bi's for breakfast, you've got meat all day!” He did say this in gest, but damn.

Db Shurgs
125lbs x 10 reps x 3 sets.

Final SX Comments.

I think I've made it pretty clear that I've enjoyed the SX. It's quite unique and if you ever need a more detailed description of my thoughts on SX, you can click on these links (These are all various & thorough reviews).

Scroll down to post #11: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/120158-volcoms-slim-xtreme.html

Scroll down to post #34: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/120158-volcoms-slim-xtreme-2.html

Scroll down to post #42: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/120158-volcoms-slim-xtreme-2.html

Scroll down to post #55: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/120158-volcoms-slim-xtreme-2.html

Scroll down to post #92: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/120158-volcoms-slim-xtreme-4.html

Scroll down to post #145: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/120158-volcoms-slim-xtreme-5.html

My personal favorite, post #192: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/120158-volcoms-slim-xtreme-7.html

Scroll down to post #242: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/120158-volcoms-slim-xtreme-9.html

Scroll down to post #294: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/120158-volcoms-slim-xtreme-10.html

My favorite band, post #311: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/120158-volcoms-slim-xtreme-11.html

So before you wonder what kind of a final review doesn't contain a review in of itself, it's because I've written 10, lengthy, thorough, & detailed reviews along the way that would more then qualify as an extensive final review in of themselves.

SX Booster.

I've really come to enjoy the SX Booster. I use it before I go to work at night, when I'm going to train people. It gives me a hugely augmented mental clarity, sharp energy, some mood boost and it comes and goes without disturbing sleep. I've taken the Booster as late as 5pm without any sleeping issues.

Thanks all for hanging around and for all the encouraging support!

hman85

hman85

Awards
  • Established
Good review bud! We already expected this from you though!

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
Sweet review bud! Ill definitely look into this for my summer cut.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Awesome job, V!! You never disappoint. :clap2:

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
great stuff.

i can't wait to try it next month.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice log, Volc! I'll have to give this stuff a go sometime for sure.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great log as usual, Volcom! Was a privilege to follow! :thumbsup:

BeBig

BeBig

Awards
  • Established
Killer log bro by far the most informative I've seen...on a supplement like this...:bow28:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Killer log bro by far the most informative I've seen...on a supplement like this...:bow28:
Thanks BeBig. The extensiveness of the detail is usually a reflection of my enthusiasm toward a product. My logs tend to be wordy in general, but this one was a bigger mouthful then usual :type:. I appreciated you following along, you were always encouraging, cheers :beerchug::drunk:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
and a special thanks to AX for their presence, support and multiple gestures of generosity!

hman85

hman85

Awards
  • Established
What was your shortest log pages wise? I swear this might be it. Most of your are past the 40's and Mine are like 10:gay:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Post Movie Credit Scene

Natty & Shaddow were discussing DC in Natty's log and though I'm not a HUGE fan of it, I posted a very informational response that I found would be useful for anyone who is into DC or HIT.

I'm not the biggest fan of DC, but I may have some helpful suggestions to maximize your DC experience, by merging a second principle from HIT. I found a modified DC program was more effect then a legalistic DC or legalistic HIT.

DC of course is about loading the muscle to all hell with heavy @$$ weight, to force through strength barriers and also to consistently adapt by circulating certain exercises once you've plateaued in strength on that particular exercise. Also, stretching the muscle fascia is one of DC's root principles.

HIT as originally proposed by Mike Mentzer was derived from a principle rooted in Psychology, based on Dr. Hans Selye's GAS principle. General Adaption Syndrome, which says, only when a certain stress threshold is exceeded, does one adapt by self strengthening, in order to cope with the stress. Dr. Selye of course was speaking about a psychological/emotional strengthening, and Mike Mentzer brought that application of GAS to bodybuilding. He's not the first or last to derive psychological principles and applied to to human physiology.

Mentzer hypothesized that "muscle failure" was the only sure fire way to deem that threshold exceeded.

Here's the logic. Muscle adapts for defensive purposes. If you bench press heavy, the pectorals grow in size and strength in order to protect your thoracic cavity, (heart & lungs) from the dangers of the stress of that weight. You can run with that principle and apply it.

Muscle Failure:

Muscle has three type of strengths, concentric, isometric and eccentric. We all know this. Concentric movements are the positive portion of the lift, a curl, or what physiologists call, muscle shortening. The isometric, is hold a weight in an unmoving position and the eccentric, the negative portion or muscle lengthening.

In bodybuilding, we only push the concentric portion of the lift to failure. Ironically, concentric contractions require the least amount of applied force by the muscle of the three strengths. Eccentric requires the most force, then isometric. Failure of the concentric element of your muscle does not correlate to failure of isometric strength and/or eccentric. If you curled a 40lbs Db for 12 reps until you cannot rep anymore, you can still hold that last rep at a 90 degree angle for up to 10 or more seconds, furthermore, as the isometric contraction starts to fail, you can resist the negative portion for up to 10 seconds. The absence of a free-fall drop of the weight implicates the presence of eccentric strength.

Now, to mesh DC and HIT principles.

The strength aspect:

Strength as a concept have physiological changes that occur which are exclusive to strength, but not directly correlated with hypertrophy.

1. With the increasing load, your motor units adapt by exciting more innervating muscle fibers in synchronicity.

2. With heavy, heavy loads, your motor units will coordinate to fire in synchronicity.

Those two adaptions are the first adaptions to take place before new muscle is ever added.

DC/HIT

Perform your DC reps, rest-pause your way up to your 15 reps with the extremely heavy weight. At the end of that 15 reps, hold that weight in an isometric contraction until isometric failure. The weight will slowly and unwillingly begin to drop, which will signify isometric failure, as the weight is dropping down, resist that drop as long as you can until you've reached eccentric failure.

This way, you push the concentric muscle strength to failure with DC, then you push the isometric and eccentric strengths with the HIT principles.

Lastly, Mentzer also theorized that when you reach this "muscle failure" hormones will signify to your brain that growth is necessary to facilitate this dangerous level of stress, as COMPLETE muscle failure had been reached.

BeBig

BeBig

Awards
  • Established
Thanks BeBig. The extensiveness of the detail is usually a reflection of my enthusiasm toward a product. My logs tend to be wordy in general, but this one was a bigger mouthful then usual :type:. I appreciated you following along, you were always encouraging, cheers :beerchug::drunk:
No problem cheers right back...:boobies: