VARICOCELE...can it effect testosterone?

80schild

Awards
Day 10..... way too early to worry. It will take 6 months or more to really shrink. They will still swell at times since you just blocked a 1 way path to your renal vein. Fortunately there are a lot of alternate 1 way paths to use as well until the embolized swollen veins go away.
Yeah I'm thinking maybe I just got too hot yesterday, probably don't need to do that again for a little while.

What has me confused is the hydrocele I'm getting. It's right over the veins and so far it's only about dime sized. I've never heard of anyone getting a hydrocele with embolization.

80schild

Awards
v4lu3s, did you get any kind of sensation when your veins started dying and being absorbed? Just curious if there's anything to give me a clue of when that's starting to happen?

v4lu3s

Awards
  • Established
If you are concerned it may hydrocele see your urologist.

It will be months before you notice the veins going away. After 4-6 months the tenderness was gone. Between 6-9 they shrunk for me. In between they still would have swollen days though and once or twice i felt the old pain.

80schild

Awards
I do think I have a small hydrocele, however it doesn't seem to be getting any bigger, so I'll just leave it alone for now. The varicocele seems to be better. When I get hot my scrotum hangs lower which I think aggravates those veins. As long as I'm not too hot I can't even see the veins anymore.

In case anyone is wondering about the cost of embolization, I got my statement today and it showed the hospital charged my insurance $39,753. That's just the hospitals charges for use of equipment, drugs, etc... doesnt even count the radiologists fee. Outrageous!

80schild

Awards
Almost at 4 weeks...

Still have the dull ache down my left leg when I stand for too long or get hot. Still can feel the veins swell when i stand, although not quite as bad as before the procedure. Im not willing to call it a "success" yet. Going for my follow up visit Aug 21st.

80schild

Awards
Went for my follow up today, the radiologist thought everything looked good. The pain i mentioned in my last post pretty much went away around week 5. He did say my epididymis looked a little swollen (what I thought was a hydrocele), he said the inflammation from the embolized veins could have transferred to it.

I don't regret having the embolization at all. For anyone thinking of having it done, expect 5 or 6 weeks of dull achy pain, I don't know why some websites say 2-3 day recovery.

Aldente88

Awards
Do any of you have the little pinhole sized blood blisters on the skin of your scrotum? I know mine are caused by the varicocele because they're only on the left side. Just curious if the surgery helps this too.
I have these as well.... Can anyone elaborate on this?

New to this thread, but I have read through it. Had emboli action surgery in middle school. I am currently 24 and just revisited urologist, he said I still have a stage 3 veriococele on the left.

Aldente88

Awards
Sorry to hijack this thread.... But I didn't get much response from a recent one I started. Below is my quoted thread with a little more background and t levels that were tested... Thanks guys

I read through alot of the forums, because I thought I had the symptoms of low T, and I was blown away by some of the knowledge you people have on here so I figured I would reach out and get some advice.

I was Diagnosed with veriococele at young age. Had embolization surgery in middle school. Stopped going to urologist in HS. Now, 24 years old with symptoms of ED and complete loss of libido.

This made me want to see a urologist again. Had those bedroom symptoms, along with other symptoms that coincide with low testosterone (and veriococele being a damage to the testes). I experienced slight anxiety/depression which is strange for me, fatigue, waking up multiple times per night, no gains from lifting, issues gettin it up, and no libido. If the wind would blow, I used to get rock hard. Recently, I have no desire to masterbate and the last 2 times I did/ tried I went limp or couldn't even get fully erect.

So I went to the urologist and he said my surgery did not work, I have a stage 3 veriococele (the worst) and he did little blood work.

TSH - 1.15 (.4-4.5) range
Prolactin - 11.2 (2.0-18) range
Testosterone - 1172 (241-827) range. *high

Reading through the other forums I know that I need to get alot of other things tested by blood work. But I am completely confused, how the hell is my test so damn high, but I am having these issues? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am 24, 6'0 170 pounds. Fairly healthy, I workout alot. But I have always been a string bean, just get ripped and can't ever put on mass.

jazz4

Awards
Hi guys, just read the thread and it's actually quite worrying. But let me share my story.

I noticed I had a varicocele on my left testicle at around 16, I didn't think a great deal of it and now I'm 22. It has never given me any pain and next to zero discomfort. It appears my testicles have remained the same size, the lest being naturally a tad larger than right, but it does hang in an odd and quite low fashion. I probably have stage 2-3, but never actually been to a Doctor for examination. Do you guys think, from experience that is worth going and trying to get surgery? (Im based in the UK).

I also can't say that my 'libido' has taken a hit. I don't feel any different and seem to get erections easily. I'm worried that in the next few years it will just progressively get worse and make me unwell though, but I'm not sure I want someone operating on something that is relatively unoticable to me. Do you guys have any thought? It has been very sobering to read all this though.

80schild

Awards
Hi guys, just read the thread and it's actually quite worrying. But let me share my story.

I noticed I had a varicocele on my left testicle at around 16, I didn't think a great deal of it and now I'm 22. It has never given me any pain and next to zero discomfort. It appears my testicles have remained the same size, the lest being naturally a tad larger than right, but it does hang in an odd and quite low fashion. I probably have stage 2-3, but never actually been to a Doctor for examination. Do you guys think, from experience that is worth going and trying to get surgery? (Im based in the UK).

I also can't say that my 'libido' has taken a hit. I don't feel any different and seem to get erections easily. I'm worried that in the next few years it will just progressively get worse and make me unwell though, but I'm not sure I want someone operating on something that is relatively unoticable to me. Do you guys have any thought? It has been very sobering to read all this though.
If its not causing any pain, I'd leave it alone for now. Make sure to wear supportive underwear, no boxers. Mine didn't start causing pain until I was almost 30, if that time comes for you I definitely recommend embolization over traditional surgery.

jazz4

Awards
If its not causing any pain, I'd leave it alone for now. Make sure to wear supportive underwear, no boxers. Mine didn't start causing pain until I was almost 30, if that time comes for you I definitely recommend embolization over traditional surgery.
Thanks 80schild, I guess whenever I need it, I should just go for it, considering embolization is free in this country and because I'm a student, any prescription following it would also cost me nothing. Quick question 80schild because we're quite similar with this; do you think it actually effected your testosterone? My varicocele only seems to give me problems when I read forums like this one, which, as someone said before, can be quite skewed towards the negative and full of hypochondria. I'm never really unwell but reading this is terrifying! Some people seem to get terrible symptoms from this, but I've heard a large amount of varicoceles are asymptomatic. The varied accounts of people with this is quite surprising.

v4lu3s

Awards
  • Established
The research i have read says the effects on testosterone are not noted until the mid 30s usually. So figure 15-20 years of cumulative damage...

80schild

Awards
I have no idea if it affected my testosterone or not, since I never had it checked. I didn't have any atrophy though. I had the embolization strictly for pain relief.

alexandrov

Awards
So in the united states is there a preffered clinic or doctor to get the embolization procedure from?

v4lu3s

Awards
  • Established
So in the united states is there a preffered clinic or doctor to get the embolization procedure from?
I went with who i felt comfortable with. I did the laparascopic procedure though, but i was not as concerned with the exact technique as i was with the person doing the procedure.

80schild

Awards
I went directly to a interventional radiologist. I saw three different urologist and none of them wanted to do anything about the varicocele, a waste of time and money.

varicocele

Awards
????

why the hell you people suddenly stop posting about varicocele when it suddenly go into the important part such as "after 3 months of surgery going for doc for consultation and stuff" after a few months and few years and still no answer WHY YOU NO KEEPING POSTING!!! MY BALLS IS IN THE BATTLE HERE =-=.... have varicocele grade 2 right now... have pain 3 months ago when using the hold back method while masturbating "i hold up to 1 hour at least and thus has this problem ... veins malfunction ever since then i stop using hold back method and ejaculate in 7/8 minutes which is normal and feel no serious pain... just the same old annoying pain which is just mild.... since 3 months ago D: keep posting even when u have the surgery and why is the pain still there....

80schild

Awards
I'm still doing good. I still sometimes get a little discomfort, but MUCH better than it was before the procedure. It takes about 6 months to get real improvement, not 6 weeks like they tell you. Still worth it though.

jodywebb

Awards
in november 2010 i had microsurgery on varicoceles on both my testicles. 2 years later and so far so good. if anybody has any questions i will try to answer them.

varicocele

Awards
thanks, u guys help a lot... need to find a good doc so that won't screwed up in the surgery

80schild

Awards
Well it's been 6 months and my varicocele is starting to come back. It's not a bad as it was before, but I certainly notice it. I did some strenuous excercise a few days ago and was aching later that night (same old left side ache). I'm going back to the radiologist Monday. This really pisses me off! :grumpy:

bpclipper10

Awards
  • Established
Well it's been 6 months and my varicocele is starting to come back. It's not a bad as it was before, but I certainly notice it. I did some strenuous excercise a few days ago and was aching later that night (same old left side ache). I'm going back to the radiologist Monday. This really pisses me off! :grumpy:
Do you wear a jock strap/supporter when u lift? My surgeon highly recommended this and has payed dividends for me. Definitive difference when wearing it as oppose to not. I don't know if my varicocele will ever be 100% but it's bout 95% and the supporter certainly picks up that missing 5% for me. Works great man, best of luck hopefully it's just aches and pains not another varicocele. Ill be honest I had some aches and such for bout a year, now like I said I feel great

v4lu3s

Awards
  • Established
The stuff i read said the embolization had the greatest chance out of all procedures to have a return of varicocele. I know i have done stuff that could cause a return, such as a new personal record 500lb dead lift and the surgery i had has held up. I hope for your sake it's not returning, i also had about a year of occasional pain.

80schild

Awards
I really didn't do any heavy lifting, but I worked in the woods with a chainsaw for about 5 hours, pulling brush/vines, etc... That night I started feeling the ache in the scrotum, hip, and left leg. When my testicles hang lower (like when I'm hot), I can feel a hard swollen vein in there, and this goes away when I lie down. They don't "hang" as low as they used to though, you used to be able to see the varicocele from across the room.

With my luck, when I go into that cold doctors office Monday they'll be drawed up and he won't feel anything.

80schild

Awards
Went back to the radiologist yesterday, but as I suspected, everything looked okay then. He said he packed that vein with coils pretty good, all the way from the bone up to the kidney, but theres a very slight chance that another side branch vein could become varicose. He said maybe I just pulled something the wrong way while I was working that day.

He also told me that if the vein swells again to come back immediately for an ultrasound so he can see it. So, we'll see how it goes.

marine7000

Awards
Think I varicocele

Just noticed pain in my balls with the whole big veins thing(can't see thru skin) I'm extremely concerned about my T being lowered. I've heard a couple horror stories of guys with this condition whose doctors said that they wouldn't recommend an operation...some of these guys said that their beards didn't grow in like they used to...and others said that they no longer hardly had the "drive" to get out of bed in the morning.*** I am going to the doctor tomorrow. ***I plan to occasionally log on and describe my experiences and to hear about the experiences of others.

bpclipper10

Awards
  • Established
Just noticed pain in my balls with the whole big veins thing(can't see thru skin) I'm extremely concerned about my T being lowered. I've heard a couple horror stories of guys with this condition whose doctors said that they wouldn't recommend an operation...some of these guys said that their beards didn't grow in like they used to...and others said that they no longer hardly had the "drive" to get out of bed in the morning.*** I am going to the doctor tomorrow. ***I plan to occasionally log on and describe my experiences and to hear about the experiences of others.
Sounds like a varicocele but don't get inside ur own head and exaggerate it just because of some horror stories. U google "stomach ache" and it'll tell u it's cancer lol...so don't start freaking yet. Never experienced that type of stuff as you mentioned. Reason I got surgery was for pain which id recommend exaggerating a bit to your doc to have him push for the surgery, and the secondary reason I got the surgery was for fertility reasons. After hearing how its a likely cause of infertility in men trying to start a family because it goes often undiagnosed...We got some tests done and sure enough my count, mortility, and quality were significantly subpar for a 21 year old. Had the surgery and haven't had any problem since man, it's ****ty for bout a week post-op but its worth it to get keep ur fertility flowing and get rid of that constant annoying pain. Best of luck brother. Keep us posted

breezy094

Awards
VARICOCELE EMBOLIZATION IN 1 WKS TIME !!!

I have a bilateral varicocele ( grade 3 on the left and grade 2 on the right ) and im getting the op done next monday. To be honest I don't feel any pain at all (I lied to my doc so that he would let me go ahead with the op) but I noticed that I have low t because Im 18 and still have a lot of facial fat , I have little body hair , and I pretty much feel tired all the time . Don't let the "horror stories" fool you people , my radiologist embolized over 40 people with varicoceles and none of them had any extreme pain after 48hrs those horrible cases that you read on the internet are rare, and according to my radiologist recurrence rates are the same as surgery . I'll keep you lot updated with the op and everything

breezy094

Awards
Most doctors for some reasons won't allow varicocele patients to have surgery unless they have painful varicoceles or fertility problems so make sure you tell him that you feel some pain or discomfort. And also I strongly recommend that you pick embolization (with sclerosant liquid) over any other procedure because it has less complications , you wont have any scar , its performed under local anesthesia , and you can get back to work and normal activities after 24 hrs.

breezy094

Awards
having my op in 3 days guys !! feel free to ask me anything !!

dave900

Awards
Just had a variocele microsurgery on monday. Had more erections lately, but does anyone know when I will feel the results of the enhanced T?

Btw I had LARGE varioceles.

Travvvy

Awards
Hey guys,
New to the forum, but decided to lend in my 2 cents after receiving surgery. For a little background, I'm 20 years old, live on my own and always kept in-shape. I first had an ultrasound at the age of 14, back in 2007. They found a low-grade varicocele in my left teste. Since it wasn't fully developed or much of a problem at the time, they ignored it. Well, fast forward to age 20, where it is now a grade 3. Extremely noticeable, bothersome, awful to look at, and even painful in certain circumstances. Particularly when I was about to have sex and was standing up for a while. I went to my doctor for advice, told them my varicocele was bothering me, so they recommended me to a urologist. I had the appointment with the urologist, where he determined it was a stage 3, and either recommended not doing anything or having microscopic surgery. Obviously, I chose the latter, wanting different results for my T, sperm count, and overall sexual drive.
Now, fast forward to my day of surgery. I had it the 18th of June, 2013. Unfortunately, all my family lives in different states, so I was on my own. I had a friend come with me, and take me home that day. The anticipation was easily the worst, like most of you, I worked myself up and it only made it worse. They hooked me up with IV, hit me with anesthesia, and I was out. I woke up 1-2 hours later, drugged and just clearly oblivious. They gave me vicodin, fed me some, and told me to lay around and relax for 30 minutes. I had to make sure I could urinate before I left, when they told me that I became scared pretty quickly, thinking of further complications. Went to the bathroom twenty minutes later, no problems except walking my sorry ass over to the bathroom. I was then released, went straight home, I had picked up my drugs the day before. MAKE SURE TO DO THIS. Pick up both your painkillers and anti-infection pills. I got home, took my anti-infection pill and passed out.
I woke up 6-8 hours later, still with the bloody jockstrap on they provided me, pain was very minimal. I decided to change underwear, put on some Hanes, and went to relax with ice in my recliner chair. The first few days were fine, living on my own I had to do everything for myself, get all my food, do some mandatory chores, etc. That was a big mistake. Getting up to the bathroom, getting food, etc were fine, but having to do the chores killed me. I moved around too much the fourth day, and paid the price the next day. I woke up with extreme soreness and pain. I immediately took pills and laid down all day. Whenver I got up, it felt like one vein was holding my ballsack up, like an electric pain that shot through my nerves whenever I moved anywhere. I ran out of pain pills the next day....that was awful. I had to get myself up, drive to the local Kings, pick up the pills like a hobbled constipated mental patient, and drive back. Extremely painful, and anyone there could see it in my eyes. Phew, the worst done....not exactly.
I went to school within the next two days, where, my stitches popped. The entire wound opened up. Now my school is an hour away, so I have to take the RTD, there and back and walk to the end of the campus for the class. Thankfully, I thought ahead and packed a ton of gauze pads, bandages, etc. I was able to clean up the bleeding after class, taped a gauze pad to the wound and hurried home. I immediately got in to my urologist where they bandage the wound with butterfly bandages and sent me on my way. The next day I lounged around, took it easy. Following that, I had the weekend off, where I proceeded to do chores. Stitches popped again...I had to go to the ER on Saturday, where they did the exact same thing. The wound stayed open even with the bandages covering it. I went in that Monday to the urologist, where they suggested packing it with wet gauze pads to heal. At first, I was very skeptical of the method, never hearing of it, wondering how it will close, etc. Especially since it will leave a white scar. Also, while there, they discovered a hematoma. A pool a blood where trauma has occurred, typically clots and takes weeks to months to fully heal. Now for the fun part.
He asked me "Can you take some pain?" Naturally, my libido answered "Yes!" instantly. So, he proceeded by grabbing the hematoma teste, and squeezing in certain points. Ughhhhhhhhhhh. So painful. I was squirming for a while. Blood gushed out of the wound like crazy. A full urine cup's worth, I was definitely watching to see. But instantly my teste felt a lot better, so I had no complaints. He worked out some of the clotted blood, and gave the teste some circulation for faster healer.

Anyways, I packed it with gauze pads for the next two weeks. I went in a week later, he squeezed a little more blood out, not as much as I was hoping because the wound was healing faster than expected and had nearly closed. A week after that the wound had fully closed and maybe had a fingernails worth left to heal up. The hematoma had significantly decreased, but note, was still very clotted at the top. Whenver I felt it, it felt like a solid rock there. I then was able to take baths and start on my weightlifting again, but at a low endurance weight. Warm baths help with the circulation, so cleared up my hematoma after a while. It's now been a month and a week after surgery. No major complaints, honestly just glad its over with. My teste looks like a normal teste now, no bag of worms feeling or pain.
I must also note, I was extremely "backed-up" the entire time. I had blue balls pretty bad. I even started getting wet dreams, which I never had except maybe when I was younger. Masturbating the first time had me scared, after having my vein cut and tied, I was very nervous. The first time was actually a wet dream about 2 1/2 weeks after surgery.

I'll keep adding the rest of my progress as I go.

Tips for anyone about to get surgery/recovering:
1. Get pills beforehand
2. Move as little as possible, have your mom, girl, whomever do most of the work. Just make sure to thank the hell out of them.
3. Elevate your ball AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, you don't want to develop a hematoma and you want to speed up the healing process
4. Ice 3 times a day, 10-15min each time
5. If your nervous, scared, or have questions, CALL YOUR DOCTOR, it's not a crime, and peace of mind is a beautiful thing
6. Eat well, not a bunch of food you can make quickly/junk food. Have your veggies/fruit, antioxidants help open up veins/arteries for quicker healing
7. Drink water, drink water, drink water, drink water. More than the regular 8 glasses a day, and if not at least the 8 glasses.
8. Stay ahead of the pain threshold, don't get behind, it will take a long time to catch up.
9. Always be mindful of the wound, I'm sure you would be but just as an extra precaution.
10. I wasn't able to take vitamins for 3-4 days after surgery, but once you can, get back on those. Multivitamins, fish oil, etc. I take the multivitamins, fish oil, zinc (for skin), fish/hair/nails (for skin), MSM, B6
11. Don't masturbate right away, take it easy, believe me it's hard but its a big payoff knowing your will power is that much stronger.
12. Don't read too much into these reviews, a lot of people have different experiences, different bodies, etc. My experience is just one. I most definitely did have a bad recovery, but in the end worth it. Your experience won't be like mine, most likely a lotttt better!

Also, I noticed a lot of false information on sites for this surgery. Like masturbating clogged my veins or my varicocele is already back. These are wrong. True, the varicocele can come back, a small chance but still can happen. It will take months for it to re-appear if it does. You can't clogged your vein with sperm, that's ridiculous... Ask your doctor, and if you don't believe him they have those doctor sites where you can ask questions, can always go to a different doctor, but please don't listen to idiots on Yahoo! answers or other sites similar. People are typically idiots, go to your doctor, they spent years studying, typically have years of practice and success, and have plenty of colleagues whom also have similar knowledge.

One more thing, it takes nearly 6 months to a year to see full results from a varicocele surgery. BE PATIENT.

jazz4

Awards
Thanks for your detailed info. Been meaning to get mine fixed for a while, and will probably do so next year after I graduate university. Did you have testosterone issues? I don't think I've experienced any at all and I've also had mine since I was around 14 - (I'm 23 now). I've heard they tend to only hit you (if they ever do) when you're in your 30's and have had them for like atleast 15 years.

I can sort of feel a swollen vein on my right one now, so I think this is turning into a bilateral thing, but they give me absolutely zero pain. I'll need to sort this out very soon because it's just such a sucky thing to have wrong with you or to think about. Your post surgery does sound like a real hassle, but like you said, atleast it's over. I think sub-consciously having something wrong down there, no matter how serious, does something to ones self-confidence. You feel like you're a bit incapacitated because of a few swollen veins. I was only ever going to go to the doctor if it gave me serious pain problems or other issues but honestly I just forget I even have them. It's a problem that I don't want to face down the line and wish I got it fixed sooner - especially considering how easy it is (atleast, in my country). I've heard some people say that when they get it done they don't know why they didn't get it fixed sooner. I can totally believe that.

p.s. The internet is a terrible place for varicocele sufferers. The health sites say varicocele's are no concern, and the forums like yahoo say you're going to die a slow and painful death. The information about this subject is probably the most polarizing I have ever seen. It doesn't help that people read things, skew information, then write weird amalgamated posts about the horrors of having varicoceles and how it turns you into a shivering wreck of a man. You'd think we'd all got testicular cancer or something. It's such a strange thing to get because people have asked doctors why and how they get varicocele's and the doctor just shrugs and says 'yeah dunno, just faulty veins.'

Best of luck with your recovery.

aratabekov

Awards
Guys, I was wondering, how much would a surgery cost? Specifically subinguinal microsurgery?
I don't have insurance and I live in Asia and plan on coming to the states solely to get this procedure done.
I am not considering Dr.Goldsein, since he charges $40 000. Just a regular good doctor.
I would really appreciate any input.
Thank you so much!

Zibi1010

Awards
Since I read this entire thread before and after my surgery (thank you Google), I feel like I need to give some back.
So here it goes:

Hi all,

I had my sublingual microsurgical Varicocelectomy surgery several months ago, and here is my story + tests (pre/post surgery) + progress and complications. FYI, I never used steroids, but I'm exercising (lifting) for the last 6-7 years, with major breaks in between.

First, I would like to mention that I had Varicocele since I'm 13-15 years old, and I actually had a consultation with a urologist who said it's nothing major and if it doesn't hurt, don't do anything about it.
Well, 10 years later, at 24 years old, I had severe pain on my right testicle. I always had low-mild discomfort once a month or so (mainly after exercising), but it's only lasted several minutes; and I usually didn't pay any attention to it. Anyway, I went to a urologist, and he said that there are some veins on the right side of my scrotum and a bump on my right testicle. In addition, he said that most of the time Varicocele is present on the left side, so I probably have bilateral Varicocele. He sent me to do an ultrasound on my scrotum and kidneys, a semen analysis, and a blood test for "Total Testosterone" and "Free Testosterone". The kidneys ultrasound was ordered to check if I have a tumor, since I had pain on the right side and it's quite unusual. Meanwhile, I did my semen analysis (I always imagined it as a entering to a room with a lot of porn magazines, in my case it was an iPhone, my hand, and a stinky restroom [private restroom at least]).

I went to my urologist again, and here are the results:

Ultrasound: Level 1 - Right varicocele
Kidney - Negative for the tumor
Scrotum - Grade I varicocele (the lowest) on the right side - only (no left side varicocele, quite surprising).

Blood Test:
Test Total - 347 ng/dL
Test Free - 12 pg/ML

Semen Analysis:
Sperm count: 84.5 (Million/ML)
Count/Ejaculate: 253.5 Million (> 40M is normal)
Motility: 36.5% (>50% is normal)
Rapid progressive Motility: 11.2% (>25% is normal)

To be honest, I don't care for the semen analysis, but I don't want to close the option of having kids in the future. My primary concerns are pain, and then my T levels, which are quite low.
The urologist said that patients with Grade I Varicocele usually don't do a surgery, but because my semen analysis doesn't look good and my T levels are low, a surgery can help. He said that there is a great connection between T-levels and Varicocele due to constant heating of the scrotum (which I have for years. I always sweat down there, even when it's cold. My testicles are always hanging low, and one is higher than the other, probably a way of the body to keep them cold). In addition, the urologist said that in my age, he doesn't expect T-levels lower than 600. He said that it's up to me about the surgery. He gave me some painkillers and said to contact their office if I would like to do the surgery. He also said to be on a follow up routine since it can get worse, so visit him once a year or so to see that everything is going well and nothing major is happening. Anyway, I already decided that I want a surgery, without even researching about it or checking anything. The fact that my T levels were so low, made me to get to a conclusion that something is wrong and I need to fix it. I scheduled a surgery a month and a half after that since I couldn't stop going to my classes for a week, and wanted to do it during spring break.
By the way, my urologist knows Dr. Goldstein from New-York, and he is in a good connection with him (he said that "a guy from New York came up with the sublingual microsurgical Varicocelectomy, and the recovery and the results are much better than a conventional surgery"). I asked him about embolization, and his reaction was "oh God", so I got the idea. FYI: I couldn't see the vain on my scrotum(ever), and could barely feel it when touching. I don't know if I had libido problems or not, but I wasn't so passionate about girls and sex overall. I haven't had any ED problems for sure. The major symptoms I had in the last 3 years or so was tiredness (especially after meals, since insulin lowers your testosterone even more). In addition, in the last 3 years or so, I had a lack of motivation regarding almost anything in my life. I was just leaving on a daily basis, and mainly didn't care for nothing.

Here is a surgery summary:

Day 1: I woke up pretty fast, about 10-15 minutes after my surgery and found myself in the recovery room full of nurses eating and laughing between themselves (i did that in an hospital, in South California). They were pretty good about checking me up and monitoring me (**** that blood pressure sleeve that was squeezing my arm every 10 minutes and left some marks on my hand).
I came home, was able to get to the 2nd floor of my house, and went to sleep for couple of hours. I woke up with pain (around the incision area), so I took some painkillers (hydrocodone-acetaminophen 10-325, which is a combination of Vicodin alternative (the same thing, just a different name) and a 325mg of Tylenol). I took it every 6 hours as prescribed. I had one big problem: I couldn't pee in a standing position. When I tried to pee, I got really dizzy, and had the feeling that I'm going to pass out. I also had cold sweat. I guess it was from the anesthesia. I then figured this out, and I peed while I was siting, which was better than nothing.

Day 2:
My right testicle is swollen, about twitch of its original size and hanging relay low, even lower than it was. I guess it would go away when things down there start to heal. I can barely walk and the right side of my back really hurts. I got a call from doctor's physician assistance and I asked about the back pain. She said it's probably because they put a pressure on this side during the surgery and/or because I was laying on my back a long time. I said ok, we would see what happen.

Day 3:
Things are much better with the pain. I don't take any painkillers anymore. I'm able to take a shower today and see what's going on there (until know I had a dressing that covered the entire area, so I could't really see what's going on there, except for a yellow coloring, like a bruise, around the entire area and my right-top leg).
I took the dressing out (taking the tape out was a great challenge), and had a shower. It said in the directions that the Doc and the hospital gave me (two different once, which actually conflict each other in some things that I will discuses later) not to re-apply the dressing, and keep it open to the air. It's also said to reapply the scrotum support, which I didn't get from the first place, so I guess I didn't need it. The incision is about 3cm (2in), and since the surgery was sublingual, it's really low and wouldn't be visible in the future. I did notice swelling of the groin area, right next to the incision and around it (the right side only). About the conflicting directions of the hospital and my doc: the hospital says to take an Advil (Ibuprofen) or Tylenol for the pain, and my doc said not Ibuprofen products since they can increase bleeding.

Day 4+5:
I came back to college. Walking from the parking to my class is a pain in the ass, but I read some data that says walking makes healing better since blood is circulating better in that area. Well, it took twitch the time to walk since I couldn't walk normally. I took Tylenol before going to class, just in case. After 5 hours in class, I had some pain. The pain is probably from sitting so long, and standing for an hour and a half straight during lab.

Day 6:
I went to grab something to eat, and when I came back, I tried to take a shower. I noticed a big circle of blood on my right leg, but nothing was coming out of the incision. I didn't even felt it, but I did have a burning feeling when I was walking. However, I thought it was part of the deal, so I took a shower and then, from the right side of the incision, I could see blood coming out. It was very minor, a drop or two accumulating around the incision every several minutes, but it lasted for 3-4 hours later on, until I got tired wiping it with a towel because I wanted to go to sleep.

Day 7:
I called Doc about the bleeding, which occurred again when I bended to pick something from the floor. I called pretty late on that day, so Doc didn't return my call. I could call to his personal phone, but the bleeding stopped, so I said I would wait for tomorrow. The only pain I have right now is a burning pain from the right side of the incision. The testicle is doing much better, but still sensitive to touch. It wasn't hurting just by itself since day one, just when touching, but that decreased either. It's still pretty swollen around the incision, and looks a little bit scary.

Day 8:
I called Doc in the morning, he was doing a surgery, so his physical assistance answered my call and said to come over because of my bleeding. After a quick examination, she said that I have Hematoma which is a collection of blood outside a blood vessels and tissues. It's one of the complications of the surgery (5%). She said it would go away by itself, but it would take some time (several weeks). This can happen to some patients from ligating the veins or when cutting through the layers to get to the testicle. Meanwhile she said not to put too much pressure on the abdominals (siting for example) and take it easy. In addition, she gave my antibiotics in order to be on the safe side in terms of infections although she said I don't have one. She prescribed me Cephalexin 500mg, 4 times a day for 7 days. I have another appointment, this time with the Doc next week. I was directed to some sort of dressing on the incision to soak the blood and keep the incision clean. It looks like the paint got worse on the incision area, since the PA pressed to feel my groin, and blood starting to come out. I have the burning feeling again and can nearly walk, but it's not near of whatever I had on the first two days.

Day 9:
Some discomfort in the right testicle, but nothing major. It happens only when something touches it, so I guess it's because of the surgery. It's still quite swollen and the scrotum shows signs of veins or some weird lines on the walls (I didn't have any visible veins before the surgery). I still have some blood going from the incision, and I'm still replacing the dressing after every shower. It looks like the bleeding goes right after I finish to take a shower. I don't scrub the area on anything, oh well.

Day 10:
It looks like I'm getting better. I can walk straight, but I'm still quite slow. As I mentioned, I'm going to school since day 4, which I would not recommend. I would say stay home at least a week( or 10 days would be even better). However, the recovery part is really a case by case basis, and any recommendation here is based on my experience only.

Day 11:
I took a shower to replace the dressing, and I saw some stitches on the dressing itself. The stitches are suppose to dissolve by themselves, so I guess it's part of the process. I had only traces of blood and it's quite hard to tell since I'm covering the incision with Iodine that I got from my urologists every time I replace the dressing. I can walk way better now, but It's still quite difficult to get up from a sitting position, and siting overall is uncomfortable. There is a mild discomfort around the incision line, but nothing major. I haven't taken any pain medications since day 2, and I guess I don't need them anymore. I do take the antibiotics (4X500mg/day). My last antibiotics dose would be on day 16 (overall I need to take 28 pills, so that would be a week. My last dose would be on day 15).

Day 21:
Fells much better. Still some discomfort. I also got a rash from the antibiotics.

Day 60:
Pinching feeling once in several days, especially when going from a sitting to a standing position (car/chair).

Day 90:
After surgery checkup.

Blood Test:
Test Total - 394 ng/dL (was 347)
Test Free - 10.8 pg/ML (was 12)

Semen Analysis:
Sperm count: 80.5 (Million/ML)
Count/Ejaculate: 223.5 Million (> 40M is normal)
Motility: 72.5% (>50% is normal)
Rapid progressive Motility: 39% (>25% is normal)

So my semen analysis is prefect and was fixed after the surgery (at least something).

Strange, but my doctors said that Test Free is the most important parameter because this is what's available to the body compared to Test Total which is only 2% or so availability.

He offered my TRT, but said it would suggest to wait 3 more months, redo the blood work and comeback since it was only 3 months from the surgery and these things take time. He also mentioned that I had a varicocele level 1-2 (total of 7 veins were ligated on the right side only).
Small pinching every couple of weeks, but it gets way better. Doc advised to give it some time since it takes 6-12 months to heal completely.

Day 180:
Did my blood work again, this time I added by myself (tank you walk-in-lab) more parameters to check if my HPTA is screwed:

Test Total - 325 ng/dL (was 394)
Test Free - 12 pg/ML (was 10.8)

LH - 3.4
FSH - 4.1
Cortisol - 9.7
Prolactin - 9.5
Estradiol - 16.2
Progesterone - 0.3

Doc suggested 4 treatments:
1. Pellets - Lasts for 3-4 months. Constant test absorption. Negatives: semi-surgeical procedure that involves a scare. uncomfortable on the first 2-3 days (can sit/hurts while sitting). Absorption is not guarantee and the number of pellets is subjective to test absorption (can go up to 10-12 pellets). Highest costs from all solutions.
2. Androgel - Everyday application. Can't touch children/women after application for at least couple of hours. Sticks to t-shirts/shirts, and absorption is REALLY subjective. Skin rashes are common. Also very expensive.
3. Test Cypionate/Enanthate (100mg EW). Best option. Self application every week. Also an option to do one shot (200mg) every two weeks or so, depends how the body metabolize it. However, every week, or even twice a week, would keep T-levels constant (pretty much it's better to avoid spikes, since you will feel terrible).

4. HcG - was offered injections 3 X week, 1000IU/week to increase "natural test production" by LH. It feels like pain in the ass to inject it 3 times a week, but it's injected with an insulin needle, so it's not that bad. My testicles tells me to start TRT without going throughthe HcG route, but my brain tells me to be patient.

Doc suggested HcG since once going on TRT there is no way back basically, it's for life. HcG for several months can retain testicle mass and increase test production, depends how many Leydig cells (cells that produce test in the testicles) are there, and how much they are responsive to HcG (basically depends receptors at that area). I'm skeptical that HcG alone would help me, but I will try for three months and see what would happen. I will update as soon as I get my blood work done in about a month.

To sum up, Varicocelectomy surgery doesn't really help to increase T-levels. I did it because I had severe pain and my semen analysis was horrible. If you are doing it because you think it would raise your T-levels, just avoid it and go through the HcG and/or TRT route because these would help you for sure.
The surgery cost, including everything involved (I have the crappiest individual insurance from Blue Cross), was $2500.

London_Lad

London_Lad

Awards
Hey Guys. I just want to say thank you to each and every one of you who has taken the time to contribute to this amazing thread. I believe this thread here is the most informative source of information on the internet regarding varicoceles. I live in London, UK.

I am 24 years old and was diagnosed with a varicocele when I was around 15. I actually researched on the net before visiting my GP and instantly when I saw the pictures and the phrase 'bag of worms' I knew I had a varicocele. My GP referred me to UCL where I received an ultrasound but all I can remember them telling me is that it looked okay with no problems. At that time I had absolutely no problems with it, no pain or anything.

From the age of 15 up until 2 months ago my varicocele has posed absolutely no problems at all. I have a grade 3 varicocele on my left side (visible even when standing). I have been lifting for a few years with no problems. About 2 months ago I was squatting some light weights and the next day my varicocele was hurting (a dull pain). I thought it would go away but as the days went on the pain got worse and worse and to make matters worse the pain spread all the way down my left leg and up to my lower abdomen. My leg constantly hurts (feels tingly) and my lower abdomen constantly hurts also. I also experience sharp pains now and again.

I tried to ride out the pain but eventually I went to my doctor and I asked him to refer me back to an urologist. Little did I know they have implemented a new bullchit system where they first refer you to a in-health clinic (not a urologist) for an ultrasound before having to back to the GP for what I assume to be the referal to the urologist if needed . So far I have had my ultrasound in the in-health clinic (it was a ****ty clinic full of pregnant women) and the doctor said I had a very evident varicocele with veins of 2mm before valsava and 4mm after valsava with no atrophy at all. I have booked an appointment to go back to my GP (next week) for my urologist referral (such a stupid inefficient annoying system, it makes me so mad).

My question to you people was this. I have read through every single page of this thread but I still haven't come to a solid conclusion from the varying opinions and responses. My entire left leg, varicocele and lower abdomen has been constantly hurting for 2 months everyday. The pain went away for 3 days but I strained myself and the pain returned in all its full glory. Its a dull throbbing ache and it's driving me crazy. I however have no problems sexually and everything is working just fine down there. If I do need surgery I know that I want a microsurgical varicoelectomy. However after reading this thread I am now scared of nerve damage and other problems that can occur. What would you guys recommend? To me a sub-inguinal is too low and close to my sack for my liking and I would feel more comfortable with an inguinal. What do you feel about this? Any advice is appreciated.

Also if there are any guys living in London who have been through a varicoelectomy could you please please tell me which hospital you had it done from and what type of varicoelectomy it was and who the best doctors in London are for this type of surgery. I'm going to tell my doctor to refer me to UCLH when I go back to him next week as it seems to be one of the best hospitals.

Apologies for the long winded post but I'm feeling quite scared at the moment. I would appreciate any advice from people who are suffering and from people who have had surgery. Thank you.

dan95

Awards
ok so i need some help guys im kind of freaking out about this.

ok so basically ive been suffering from, 0 libido, fatigue, slight ED and a couple of other things since i was about 15/16, ive also noticed that my left testicle has shrunk since then as well. 9 months ago i had a blood test and found out i have low t (460 ng/dL) which is low for my age(18), about a week ago i found out i have a grade 2 varicocele in my left testicle and is probably the cause for all these issues, i did go to the doctors but didn't mention about it shrinking my testicle so she said it was normal, but i shall be going back this week to tell her i need the surgery as its the cause to my issues and has shrunk my testicle.

What should i do? im very lost with this and worried that even if i do get surgery it wont improve my sex drive and testosterone level. also im very worried as i haven't really developed at all since 15 and still am very skinny and underdeveloped and look about 15 still.

redwave

Awards
ok so i need some help guys im kind of freaking out about this.

ok so basically ive been suffering from, 0 libido, fatigue, slight ED and a couple of other things since i was about 15/16, ive also noticed that my left testicle has shrunk since then as well. 9 months ago i had a blood test and found out i have low t (460 ng/dL) which is low for my age(18), about a week ago i found out i have a grade 2 varicocele in my left testicle and is probably the cause for all these issues, i did go to the doctors but didn't mention about it shrinking my testicle so she said it was normal, but i shall be going back this week to tell her i need the surgery as its the cause to my issues and has shrunk my testicle.

What should i do? im very lost with this and worried that even if i do get surgery it wont improve my sex drive and testosterone level. also im very worried as i haven't really developed at all since 15 and still am very skinny and underdeveloped and look about 15 still.
we almost have the same problem. it's my 32nd day after my varicocelectomy..

redwave

Awards
hello to everyone, im just curious if there's a possibility to accidentally remove the stitches or the vein tied off in the location of varicocele, cause during my recoveries i always touch or hold my scrotum just to feel if i still have varicocele due to curiosity because i guess bag if worms in my scrotum still exist. its my 32nd day after surgery. I have no pain since 1st day just a discomfort, on my 2nd week i can walk like a normal again. any idea? thank you. sorry for my poor english.

RAND0M1ZER

Awards
Hey,

I've read a fair bit of this thread and I must say that it is probably the best resource on the internet for Varicoceles and their effects on Testosterone. Most doctors see Varicoceles as something that as worst can cause slightly lower fertility but this simply is not true! I have a fairly large one on the left side and it gives me mild pain and I've also found that the extra heat makes my scrotum sweat a lot which is obviously pretty gross.

I saw a urologist and am currently waiting to get a phone call back from the surgeon I will be getting referred to. I am a little worried but overall this surgery is fairly minor so I am not too concerned, just happy to be getting this fixed.

RAND0M1ZER

Awards
Just had a variocele microsurgery on monday. Had more erections lately, but does anyone know when I will feel the results of the enhanced T?

Btw I had LARGE varioceles.
A few months later... Are you still noticing better erections and other signs of raised T?

litecoinaddic

Awards
Hi all,

32 year old male - diagnosed bilateral varicocele in May. No real pain as such but constant aching heavy balls feeling. I have private medical as live and work in Vietnam.

The varicocele is not visible to the eye, when standing after a long day (its hot here) i can feel 3-6 veins either side. No idea of the grade - i would guess 2. Reckon i have had it for 1 year max as balls started sagging a year ago.

Have 2 kids and dont want more.

BLOOD RESULTS AND ULTRA SOUND RESULTS

BUN 18
CREATINE 1.0
LIVER TESTS - ALL NORMAL
KIDNEY ULTRA SOUND - ALL NORMAL
TESTICLE ULTRA SOUND - BILATERAL VARICOCELE 3.7mm right and 4.2mm left
CBC and PLATELET - ALL NORMAL

FSH - 5.8
LH - 4.5
TESTOSTERONE - MAY - 6.79ng/ml -------JULY 9.79
PSA - 0.87

LDH - 165
ESTRADIAL - 18.8
PROLACTIN - 6.7

Not sure why TESTOSTERONE is so high...Have been taking the following since May

Vitamin C - 100mg x 3 a day
Fish Oils
Butchers Broom
Horse Chestnut
Bilberry

Ice baths - To hip x 2 times a day

No ED at all, although no morning wood.

Insurance said they will pay for microsurgical varicoclectomy (subinguainal) in Singapore next month for me.

What are the benefits of the surgery? Worth getting - i can only get 7 days off work so need to know if its going to be a long recovery. I have a desk job.

Appreciate your input!

Thanks

litecoinaddic

Awards
Ok so I decided to have the operation – Bilateral Microsurgical Varicolectomy.

I went to Singapore and had the operation with Dr Michael Wong, an experienced urologist. The cost of the op was $7000USD.

I arrived for the op and waited around for a few hours before surgery. I went in for surgery and was given general anesthetic.
I woke up a little dazed and confused and looked down below and could see two bandages either side of my penis, about 1 inch up. Dr Mike came and checked up on me and said surgery was successful and that he had ligated 5 veins each side, 4mm-6mm and I had Grade 3.
I waited around in recovery for 3 hours, had some water and a sandwich and was told I could go when I could urinate. Drank a few glasses of water and urinated fine.

Checked out and went back to the hotel to rest.
Day 1: Some pain – hard to walk but drugs to help me sleep.

Day 2 and 3: I stayed in bed, iced the incisions and balls for 20 minutes every hour or so. No real pain just discomfort. Walked for 20metres every few hours in the corridor to keeps the blood flowing. Balls are swollen twice their size and tender to touch. Waking with morning wood.

Day 4: No pain, went for a checkup with the Dr, everything healing well. Walking around ok, no pain in walking – managed a walk to the shopping centre for some lunch and a bit of shopping. Continued with the ice in the afternoon and stayed in bed for the afternoon.

Day 5: Went and did some sightseeing in Singapore, walked around for 3-4 hours with some discomfort but no pain. Swelling has gone down a lot

Day 6: Flew back to Vietnam, again discomfort level is low – just tenderness in incisions and if balls get knocked.

Day 7-10: Scar is starting to itch which is a good sign, no pain at all since day 2 just minor discomfort.

So it’s now day 11 and I feel good, sleeping better – having lots of nighttime and daytime erections, morning wood and very vivid dreams. I actually had sex on day 7 and day 11 and felt fine, although limited to doggy and missionary, no pain after.

Highly recommend the operation but I had a great surgeon hence why I feel I have healed so quickly, I am very glad I had the operation. I will update in a few weeks how I am feeling.

kolakao

Awards
Hello I am after normal varicocelectomy (non -microsurgical). I had surgery 1 week ago. I have 29 y old, my Total Test. was 360 (2,8-8). Is there any diffrence between testosterone recovery in non microsurgical varicocelectomy and microsurgical varicocelectomy (any article from Pubmed)? How long I sholud wait for effects, when I should do lab tests ??? Please for answer.

jodywebb

Awards
it is now 4 years since my microsurgical varicolectomy. please see my posts in october 2010.

for 4 years everything went well, until october 22 this year.

i believe i have accidentally made my right varicocele come back slightly. i think this is because of 4 years of lots of hard running, hard lifting with squats and deadlifts and clean and jerks, and lots of hard masturbating. everything was going well in my life, meeting my running and lifting goals, masturbating well, ejaculations were good, testicles seemed cool and varicoceles were ligated and controlled.

a few weeks ago i decided to try pumping my penis again, i had done this dozens of times in 2004, 2005, and 2006 without any incident. pumping for fun with my girlfriend and having sex was no big deal. thought it would try it again a few times since everything was going well. nothing crazy, started with a small tube, keeping testicles well away, and pumping with low vaccuum for 30 to 40 minutes. at the 40 minute mark when i was about done, and everything still felt ok, i suddenly felt a slight twinge on the right side. immediately stopped pumping, pulled the tube off, and checked my body for problems. right scrotum felt a little difference and noticed possible change in veins or spermatic cord. masturbated to ejaculation to make sure everything was ok otherwise, which it was, then went to bed.

woke up next day, was pretty sure something was different down there. over the next few days, dull aching pains on right, and possible recurrance of 1 or 2 veins of the varicocele - or could be a new varicose vein, not sure. also testicles felt large, swollen. went to ER october 25 because pain was about a 4 out of 10 for 15 minutes at a time, just to be sure no immediate threat or damage. no testicular torsion, no cancer, but they did give me the bad news, a new small varicocele on the right side. and worse, small hydroceles on both sides. which i never had before. was also checked for a minor inguinal hernia, which ER doctor said she could not detect.

follow up exam with general practicioner doctor october 28 also confirmed no large or apparent hernia, so if there is one, it's subclinial. seems to be a real issue though, i cannot lift much weight without aggravating the symptoms, so i'll probably eventually be checked out closely by MRI or CT for a small inguinal hernia which may need to be repaired. new varicoceles, and hydroceles, are symptoms of inguinal hernia, so it's a possibility. i tried jogging a few miles slowly and the hydroceles swelled up like balloons, so i stopped. they decreased in size over time and mostly go away at night, returning during the day if i exercise or do standing work for a few hours.

set to see my original varicocele surgeon, dr sam thompson in indianapolis, on november 10. hopefully we can work out what has happened. really stupid mistake i have made, which i thought was relatively low risk since i have pumped many times in the past, has cost me big time now.

also set to be examined on november 18 by dr marc goldstein in new york city, to get his opinion on the matter as well. flying in and out on the same day and the exam is about 2 hours long and costs about 500 dollars. so i figured it was worth it to get checked out by the guy who is probably the best guy in the country on this stuff.

so yeah, the varicoceles can return, even from a microsurgical varicocelectomy, if you live hard, lift hard, jerk off hard.i suppose any stress you put on those ligated veins could, possibly, cause it to recur. will keep the board updated on diagnosis and progress in recovery. will definitely have to get the hydroceles treated, hope the varicoceles can be as well treated but surgeon may say he's not sure it's worth the surgery just for a small one. which i hate. i want these things gone and under control.

Jalex

Awards
Wow I'm so glad I found this thread. Literally posted in a sub forum and got no replies.

I have a variocele left testicle which has caused it to shrink to about 50% size and causes discomfort in awkward positions (although I can still lift heavy/squat/deadlift)

My question may be a little different and hoping someone can chime in.

I am having an ultrasound in the coming months and thereafter doc will assess if I need surgery. However, I really would like to do a test E cycle 10-12 weeks before then.

My main concern is, as the testi has already shrunk. I do not want to lose anymore size.

I'm thinking using hcg 300ui x2 a week throughout to keep size in testi and hopefully allow for a nice PCT right before my next set of bloodworks are due.

Anyone done a cycle with a veriocele (not sure what grade mine is) and did it have any effect? Grateful to hear stories

oldschoolbean

oldschoolbean

Awards
Sorry to hear about your problem! Just reading this makes my balls Hurt!

jtstp17

Awards
I have a inguinal hernia and varicocele. I believe they both occurred at the same time or one after another.
I was in some real pain but now after a year it only happens every now and then.

I can exercise but thats when the chances of pain afterwards occurs. Hot showers and feet up usually fixes the pain.

I can feel the hernia which doesnt hurt to push on it. I can also feel the varicocele by the hernia (pubic region) and of course in my scrotum.

Anyways, a general surgeon and an urologist want to tag team the operation to fix both.
I am just worried about exercise afterwards. I want to be able to run and play sports and lift down the road after healing.
Does anyone have success stories of one or both of these issues?

I am worried about infertility problems as well as testi atrophy. Surgery can help that. But i want to hear success stories of being able to play football or soccer or lift.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Type of surgery would help as well. Does the pulling/dragging pain sensation go away after surgery? Do the thick veins go down after being tied off? I swear they can get as big as my pinkie and that causes some pain

jtstp17

Awards
any feedback on the success of varicocele open surgery? are you able to workout/cardio/abs etc?
able to have sexual activity?

im talking months later and years. can you feel the thread that tied off the veins? no more pain from the varicocele? and does the varicocele start to disappear or deflate?

does varicocele surgery help or worsen testosterone?