hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, remember I said the same thing before I went instinctive. Dealing with the injuries I am right now I can't even come close to following a strict program. There would be too many things I couldn't do which would make me feel as if I were failing and that would take the enjoyment out of my workouts. So right now I train for as much enjoyment as I can get out of it while trying to pay attention to how I trained it the last time and either improve or go with a totally different goal or rep range for that body part.

There is no way with me going to RPE8 and 9 on a lot of my stuff that I am not going to make progress. However I am sure that if I weren't deaing with the injuries then having a very basic structure that ensures progressive overload in at least one movement per body part would still provide better, or perhaps more predictable progress.
I'm not a fan of "planned" progressive overload. Instead, I measure progress by number of reps. When exceeding 12, I up weight -or simply do more reps to failure -mostly trying to stay under 15. Exception dips/push-ups/reverse shrugs some triceps -and leg exercises.

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm not a fan of "planned" progressive overload. Instead, I measure progress by number of reps. When exceeding 12, I up weight -or simply do more reps to failure -mostly trying to stay under 15. Exception dips/push-ups/reverse shrugs some triceps -and leg exercises.
I'm a sucker for trying new things and I know the importance of lifting heavy, light, low rep, high rep but I don't think it's mandatory. You can go extremely far by just going there pushing yourself to the limits. One thing I find extremely important is to increase weights as you get stronger because that really makes you stagnate

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It is all going to work if you are a truly hard worker. Its not like we won't push hard enough. We are more likely to go too hard or do too much than not enough.
I'm a sucker for trying new things and I know the importance of lifting heavy, light, low rep, high rep but I don't think it's mandatory. You can go extremely far by just going there pushing yourself to the limits. One thing I find extremely important is to increase weights as you get stronger because that really makes you stagnate
It can definitely be done simple. Consistency and simple hard work will take you a long way.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here some progress pics, will post them to the challenge forum too.

I can see some muscles on my leg. Since both knees are "kaputt", this is an achievement for me. Could be better -but just seeing some separation gives me an orgasm. :)

Attachments

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Today was only shoulders.
Too lazy to write it down.
Exercises were:
-Bradford press
-DB laterals
-one armed landmine press
-declined DB front raises
-bent over, head on seat rest, DB rear delt raises

Diet still on point. Intermittent fasting with1000kcal/d, mainly fat and protein, very little carb. Cycle: TRT (200mg/w test) + 25mg Winstrol/d

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Looking lean as I’ve ever seen you, and good fullness despite your cut!!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looking lean as I’ve ever seen you, and good fullness despite your cut!!
Thank you! Did a sort of "deload pause" lately -but not planned. Will take everything to the next level, diet and exercise wise from now on.
Currently stuffing my mouth with raw peanuts, no carbs yesterday and today.
My legs will never compete with your pillars -but I'm satisfied having at least some flag poles. :)

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Here some progress pics, will post them to the challenge forum too.

I can see some muscles on my leg. Since both knees are "kaputt", this is an achievement for me. Could be better -but just seeing some separation gives me an orgasm. :)
I got 2 blown knees too. And I hope to get your definition in your legs some day

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I got 2 blown knees too. And I hope to get your definition in your legs some day
You will. My tip: Partials, only the bottom part, half way up and in slow-mo. Smith machine is best, with feet more to the front, like standing a bit inclined. This way, when you go down, knees don't get over your toes. From bottom 2 feet up -and down slowly until failure for sets. Start with low weights. That did it fairly quickly (3 month, once a week).

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Impressive, Looking Good!!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sexy Old Fugger!

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Eh, my body fat is too high to show the separation you do. Mine mainly just looks like drumsticks
You are built to move heavy stuff! Like Buses and boulders!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Eh, my body fat is too high to show the separation you do. Mine mainly just looks like drumsticks
You must be referring to "Dinosaur Drumsticks!"

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Shoulder feeder + Legs

Today the legwork was great. Not much weight used. Did partials until almost blacking out, on smith machine, leg curls -and linear leg press.
Walked home like I had sh1t myself, legs separated and really slow.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Shoulder feeder + Legs

Today the legwork was great. Not much weight used. Did partials until almost blacking out, on smith machine, leg curls -and linear leg press.
Love that after leg day walk. I used to work out at a gym that was up 2 stories on a fire escape, after leg day it took like 5 minutes to get back down to the parking lot.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Shoulder feeder + Legs

I hate that; that’s me every lower body day. I work on the 4th floor up 6 flights of stairs at my job - on days I trained lower, I take the elevator. By the third set of stairs, I can’t even after legs.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hellish back workout

Weighted pull ups
+45lbs x11
+65lbs x6 + 1
+90lbs x4
drop
BW x11

Landmine row narrow grip
180lbs (4 plates) x12/10/10

Incline under-bench BB row
225lbs x 11/9/10/9

Lat pull down
235lbs x11
150lbs rocking, unilateral twist + 10/8

Deadlift
135lbs x20 -abort-

Well, pinched a nerve on the left side of my lower spine ... that's something new. Pain starts over the left butt cheek and goes down the hams. Gonna look up some PT moves.

Damn.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Hellish back workout

Weighted pull ups
+45lbs x11
+65lbs x6 + 1
+90lbs x4
drop
BW x11

Landmine row narrow grip
180lbs x12/10/10

Incline under-bench BB row
225lbs x 11/9/10/9

Lat pull down
235lbs x11
150lbs rocking, unilateral twist + 10/8

Deadlift
135lbs x20 -abort-

Well, pinched a nerve on the left side of my lower spine ... that's something new. Pain starts over the left butt cheek and goes down the hams. Gonna look up some PT moves.

Damn.
How you pinch a nerve? Move wrong?

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How you pinch a nerve? Move wrong?
No idea, I just felt it after the deadlift. Now, at home its getting worse. Gonna pop some nsaid's to stop inflammation.

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Unusual training approach: "EOD feeder exercises for ALL muscles"

Hellish back workout

Damn.
Hey HGP,

I similarly pinched a nerve in my lower back doing deadlifts in June. I stopped deadlifting for a month and eased back in with a short barbell Reeves deadlifts. It got better and I went back to deadlifting in mid-August at low weights. I’m back deadlifting higher weight in October.

I’m not sure if this strategy will work for you, but stick to your intuition and it will heal.

Stay safe! Stay strong!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey HGP,

I similarly pinched a nerve in my lower back doing deadlifts in June. I stopped deadlifting for a month and eased back in with a short barbell Reeves deadlifts. It got better and I went back to deadlifting in mid-August at low weights. I’m back deadlifting higher weight in October.

I’m not sure if this strategy will work for you, but stick to your intuition and it will heal.

Stay safe! Stay strong!
Ah! I remember doing those long ago! Good idea for later! Will first sort of "hang myself" with a device a friend has, it supposedly works awesome and makes you gain an inch (not on your penis). :)
After that, I'll stop doing regular deads, good mornings and maybe the Reeves variation may be a substitute.
Currently doing some exercises on the floor, hard to describe -but already freeing a bit of the nerve in question, to the point that I can sleep later without using pain meds (I rarely do, pain means I'm alive, LOL)

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Heal fast !!

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Sorry to hear that Brother and wish you a speedy recovery.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
First off, I'm sorry to hear that. Second off - I'm not saying you do or you do not have piriformis or anything else.

Third off, even if this video doesn't help, you might like watching it (I didn't listen to the audio, but it has some of the stretches I've had help in the past):

[video=youtube;UUHjQyihwQE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUHjQyihwQE[/video]

Finally, when I have my sh1t together, which is not lately, I was getting good at waking up at 5 AM or so. I would spend 45 minutes and follow the video below, then run on the treadmill for 45 minutes and be done by 6:30. I HATE the slow pace of this video/style, but in the morning when you've literally just rolled out of bed and are still half a sleep, it actually turned out to be a great way to wake up and get started. And I had some nagging back issues that I was beginning to think might even be a hernia....gone.

[video=youtube;NIRNKC4YZ58]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIRNKC4YZ58&list=PLG0QEUQ_oZZd6o6zo-bLqBOUw1tmATzzq&index=1[/video]

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ah! I remember doing those long ago! Good idea for later! Will first sort of "hang myself" with a device a friend has, it supposedly works awesome and makes you gain an inch (not on your penis). :)
After that, I'll stop doing regular deads, good mornings and maybe the Reeves variation may be a substitute.
Currently doing some exercises on the floor, hard to describe -but already freeing a bit of the nerve in question, to the point that I can sleep later without using pain meds (I rarely do, pain means I'm alive, LOL)
We share the same pain in the ass. Stretching and deep massage.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just finished my push routine. Can I return to the gym in about 6 hours and do my pull routine or wait til tomorrow?

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just finished my push routine. Can I return to the gym in about 6 hours and do my pull routine or wait til tomorrow?
If you are an old fugger like me, wait until tomorrow.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
First off, I'm sorry to hear that. Second off - I'm not saying you do or you do not have piriformis or anything else.

Third off, even if this video doesn't help, you might like watching it (I didn't listen to the audio, but it has some of the stretches I've had help in the past):

[video=youtube;UUHjQyihwQE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUHjQyihwQE[/video]

Finally, when I have my sh1t together, which is not lately, I was getting good at waking up at 5 AM or so. I would spend 45 minutes and follow the video below, then run on the treadmill for 45 minutes and be done by 6:30. I HATE the slow pace of this video/style, but in the morning when you've literally just rolled out of bed and are still half a sleep, it actually turned out to be a great way to wake up and get started. And I had some nagging back issues that I was beginning to think might even be a hernia....gone.

[video=youtube;NIRNKC4YZ58]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIRNKC4YZ58&list=PLG0QEUQ_oZZd6o6zo-bLqBOUw1tmATzzq&index=1[/video]
Doing something similar while not looking as yummy as the ladies, despite hating it to lay down on the floor, because that is the final position, its where it ends, LOL.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like your sciatic nerve is impinged in your spine. If it worsens it will travel down to your toes and eventually you will get tingling and even lose feeling. Don’t worry, it doesn’t hurt at that point

You need to get the inflammation out of the spinal joint. Stretch antagonistic muscles, traction the spine (beltsquat, inversion table, Donnie Thompson bat hangs from bands in the rack), take nsaids, ice bath, and most importantly remove the stimulus creating the inflammation (backing of like Humble mentioned).

Spend that time building bracing muscles and habits so you can be safer when you reintroduce the movements eventually.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds like your sciatic nerve is impinged in your spine. If it worsens it will travel down to your toes and eventually you will get tingling and even lose feeling. Don’t worry, it doesn’t hurt at that point

You need to get the inflammation out of the spinal joint. Stretch antagonistic muscles, traction the spine (beltsquat, inversion table, Donnie Thompson bat hangs from bands in the rack), take nsaids, ice bath, and most importantly remove the stimulus creating the inflammation (backing of like Humble mentioned).

Spend that time building bracing muscles and habits so you can be safer when you reintroduce the movements eventually.
Its gone. The floor exercises worked, seriously, for now anyways. Saw those on either MrKleen73 's or Hyde 's (your) log. Its were you lay on the floor, both knees up, one hand pushes one leg down -other hand pulls leg up, both while resisting. Did the leg pulling with a towel to have better grip.

Did it for 5 minutes - pain gone. :) ( with 50, if a pain goes from a 9 to a 4 -then its gone, you will understand later in life)

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Haha...I have been amazed at this as well. I have had pains that hindered me for weeks...then one day I find a new stretch and it feels better within minutes. Often, pain comes back and I have to keep doing the stretching when it does for a while. But it can be dramatic.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I was just going to mention it is just as likely that you aggravated it during your landmine rows than the actual deadlifts.

Yeah if that form of correction worked then you had a hip that was twisted a little. That will line them back up. However if you don't keep that up as a regular part of your warm up or whatever the hips will try to go back to the twisted position. Also if you put a block or ball between your legs after doing that and squeeze a few times you might even feel your pelvic bone pop back into position if it is out.

It is pretty wild if I go do the adductor machine before setting my hips my legs tremble while trying to contract, and pausing at peak contraction is almost impossible, plus there is a little pain with the first several reps. However if I set my hips then go do the adductors I am strong as a bull! No shaking, trembling or instability in the hips. My groin and pubic bone don't have any discomfort and I can perform them far better. It is a massive improvement.

If it does that much for my performance on the adductor machine can you imagine the carry over on an actual squat or deadlift...

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was just going to mention it is just as likely that you aggravated it during your landmine rows than the actual deadlifts.

Yeah if that form of correction worked then you had a hip that was twisted a little. That will line them back up. However if you don't keep that up as a regular part of your warm up or whatever the hips will try to go back to the twisted position. Also if you put a block or ball between your legs after doing that and squeeze a few times you might even feel your pelvic bone pop back into position if it is out.

It is pretty wild if I go do the adductor machine before setting my hips my legs tremble while trying to contract, and pausing at peak contraction is almost impossible, plus there is a little pain with the first several reps. However if I set my hips then go do the adductors I am strong as a bull! No shaking, trembling or instability in the hips. My groin and pubic bone don't have any discomfort and I can perform them far better. It is a massive improvement.

If it does that much for my performance on the adductor machine can you imagine the carry over on an actual squat or deadlift...
Its unbelievable how this exercise instantly alleviates the issue. I did it again this morning, this time using a belt. On waking up I had a bit of this pinched nerve feeling and the weakness in the left leg. After 2 minutes of exercise, its gone. There are thousands of people with this issue getting cortisone injections and whatnot, when a simple exercise is needed to fix it.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ah -and I noticed, you have to try and relax the abs while doing it, keeping head down. Thank's MrKleen73 , another valuable lesson learned from you!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Today was "burn the chest to crisp" day

Dips BW
27/20/22

BB bench 135lbs
35/30/24/21

Floor DB flies 2x25lbs
41/36/30/28

Smith incline press (steep angle, upper chest attack)
135lbs x27/20/19
partials
22/17/16

Different triceps exercises

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You really can teach an Old Dog new tricks!!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You really can teach an Old Dog new tricks!!
I'm the old dog. :)

Next shoulder day I gonna try this:

[video=youtube;vRbpxxgsmX4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRbpxxgsmX4[/video]

Saw it on SkRaw85 's log.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you read carefully the workouts of others, you come across a wide variety of stuff. I love to change exercises around. Some stick with me and turn into a routine.
At my gym I woke interest in my weird workouts, now half a dozen of dudes are doing smith drag curls, one armed lateral kettle bell raises and bradford presses. Hehehe.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If you read carefully the workouts of others, you come across a wide variety of stuff. I love to change exercises around. Some stick with me and turn into a routine.
At my gym I woke interest in my weird workouts, now half a dozen of dudes are doing smith drag curls, one armed lateral kettle bell raises and bradford presses. Hehehe.
People love novelty. Keeps it fresh!

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’ve got a few I’ve ripped off from Members here too lol. The reverse shrug (on smith and on hex bar). I had dabbled with them before (reg barbell) but felt they weren’t effective by that method.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I’ve got a few I’ve ripped off from Members here too lol. The reverse shrug (on smith and on hex bar). I had dabbled with them before (reg barbell) but felt they weren’t effective by that method.
Smith reverse shrugs work good for me! I guess farmers walk with heavy DB's would be better -but my knees are waving a white flag.

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Smith reverse shrugs work good for me! I guess farmers walk with heavy DB's would be better -but my knees are waving a white flag.
Reversed shrugs should be mandatory in anyone's workout. At least for people who has bodybuilding goals. You can do both but you should definitely keep doing these.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Reversed shrugs should be mandatory in anyone's workout. At least for people who has bodybuilding goals. You can do both but you should definitely keep doing these.
Chados Why do you say this ??

Chados

Chados

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Chados Why do you say this ??
Because they target different areas than normal shrugs, not only areas on the traps but also the back of the shoulders. Preferably this should be done in the smith machine.