UFC 79: Nemesis. Picks contest.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Souk/Machida:

I like Machida’s fighting style. I think that he’s going to be around a while and should get a title shot

Silva/Liddell:

I expected more from Silva. I thought that he laying back waiting for an opening that never came and ended up taking to many shots. I still think he’s a great fighter, just not his night

GSP/Hughes:

GSP simply kicked Hughes but tonight.
You like Machida's fighting style? :wtf:

He is a very boring fighter to watch IMO. He will be around for a long time, and thats not a good thing.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
It was a great night of fights. I loved the Wandy-Chuck fight. It lived up to all the hype. Great trading, but I wish Wandy would have won. I saw it 29-28 as well.

Slick sub by St. Pierre. I don't see anyone beating him on the ground or outwrestling him.

Machida really dominated. Where were those amazing leg kicks from Sok? He looked out of it halfway through the first. Maybe Sok isn't mentally tough or maybe Machida is just the man.

Nice fight for Clementi.

Palelei-Sanchez was just a dumb fight to televise so I'm not surprised it blew, but the rest of the fights easily made up for it.

I did terrible in the contest. The only fights I got right were when I picked against my favs :sick:

mp5man1

mp5man1

Awards
You like Machida's fighting style? :wtf:

He is a very boring fighter to watch IMO. He will be around for a long time, and thats not a good thing.
I'll give you that. But he wins and I like how he stays in control and picks his shots.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Souk/Machida:

I like Machida’s fighting style. I think that he’s going to be around a while and should get a title shot

Silva/Liddell:

I expected more from Silva. I thought that he laying back waiting for an opening that never came and ended up taking to many shots. I still think he’s a great fighter, just not his night

GSP/Hughes:

GSP simply kicked Hughes but tonight.
I think Silva was worried about getting caught coming in so he waited until Chuck came after him. Most of the times that I've seen him get dropped was when he rushed in to trade.

vika808

vika808

Awards
  • Established
CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
da iceman kicked some azz good stuff, great fights.. i really wanted No LOve to win after seeing Melvin attitude and stuff rich was great at 155

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I am glad Chuck won since a loss for him would have meant he might not be around much longer. Chuck is just too fun to watch and I didn't want to see him retire.

seeing Melvin lose and Rich totally own him in every aspect possible was so great.

Hughes should retire and pass the torch on to GSP. Its too bad GSP has to be such a douche tough. I guess that comes with the territory of having French blood.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I'm disappointed that Wand doesn't use his knees anymore. It looked like he had some opportunities to clinch. Chuck also looked much bigger than Wand.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Hughes got spanked up and I fail to see how GSP acted like a douche. The guy is a class act all the way and one of the best pound for pound fighters in the sport. I also noticed the size advantage that Liddell had over Silva. I'll give Silva credit though, he hung in there after taking some massive punishment.

awmcdon

Awards
GSP is a class act. Eveyone saying he is a douche doesn't know what the **** your talking about. You guys just can't stand to see a canadian win. Now Serra that's a douche.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
First, wow great card top to bottom.

GSP is unreal. I feel for Serra when they meet. Once he gets the title back I dont know who will take it from him

Hell of a job by Liddell and Silva. As good as expected. Liddell fought a smart fight, and did enough to win, but 30-27?

Machida/Sak, Machida is impressive. He might not excite, but he goes out to win. I think we need to see Machida/Jardine with the winner getting the Forrest/Page winner. I really like Machida and think he could hold the belt before the year is out.

Damn, what is the whole pride flopping thing. Not that Silva flopped, but he lost convincingly. I guess that means that Fedor loses to jake McDonald or Frank Mir. Crazy. Next thing is Big Tim KO'ing Nog

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hughes got spanked up and I fail to see how GSP acted like a douche. The guy is a class act all the way and one of the best pound for pound fighters in the sport. I also noticed the size advantage that Liddell had over Silva. I'll give Silva credit though, he hung in there after taking some massive punishment.
GSP is a class act. Eveyone saying he is a douche doesn't know what the **** your talking about. You guys just can't stand to see a canadian win. Now Serra that's a douche.
He's not a douche, I thought that was a classy move at the end with the belt. CNorris just cannot handle that his cornbread country boy is a bush-league fighter compared to GSP.

:rasp:

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I think GSP could handle freakin' anyone... damn.

He could probably own liddell at this point.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
How about Clementi's full nelson attempt? :lol:

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
I don't see how you can say GSP is a douche, especially if you're a Hughes fan. And Machida has my favorite style to watch in the UFC right now. Educated fans appriciate it.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't see how you can say GSP is a douche, especially if you're a Hughes fan. And Machida has my favorite style to watch in the UFC right now. Educated fans appriciate it.
For sure. It's incredibly technical and maybe the most strategic LHW. However, for me at least, appreciation and entertainment at times do not mix.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Oh, Norris is educated, he's just a sh*t starting a**hole.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I can't see Chuck bringing anything to that fight, and as much as I love Machida's style, that could be a boring fight.
Yeah, Chuck would lose. That's what I like about it. :twisted: But Machida would probably be extra cautious...

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I really wanna see MAchida fight Jardine or Thiago Silva for #1 contender. I think Machida v. Page would be fairly entertaining as Page would get frustrated by him

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Yeah, Chuck would lose. That's what I like about it. :twisted: But Machida would probably be extra cautious...

Machida is getting alittle to much respect, chuck would be a good match up, but i dont see how anybody would say that liddell would simply lose.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Machida is getting alittle to much respect, chuck would be a good match up, but i dont see how anybody would say that liddell would simply lose.
I think the respect is deserved, but I agree, Chuck would have a very good chance of winning that fight.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I think the respect is deserved, but I agree, Chuck would have a very good chance of winning that fight.
well Im not saying that machida shouldnt get any respect, but it was obvious that souk was very overated and looked completely clueless on what to do on his back or even prevent being taken down, he looked real slow for a LHW.

size

Awards
  • Established
My quick thoughts:

Machida should w/o a doubt fight for the title.

Liddell did the smartest thing I have ever seen him do in a fight by taking Silva down twice in the final round to secure himself a victory.

GSP is unbelievable how good he is.

Heavyweights continue to be a boring weight class. They should show more 155 fights in place of the boring big guys.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree about the HW's. I can see Nog/Tim being a bore fest.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
Its Lyoto not Ryoto Machida BTW. And I thought you guys were hardcore fans? lol

Mo250

Awards
the chuck vs wandi fight was pretty disappointing. I expected more out of wandi.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
the chuck vs wandi fight was pretty disappointing. I expected more out of wandi.
I'm not sure what else you were expecting. Wandy probably knew that if he chased Chuck he'd get caught with an odd-angled back pedaling shot, leaving himself vulnerable. He waited for Chuck to engage and swung off. There were more good exchanges in that fight alone than in some UFC cards as a whole. I thought it was a great fight.

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
It was definitely a great fight. Honestly I didn't see it going all 3 rounds, but it was a good 3 rounds. I only saw it going 1, with someone getting knocked cold. I'm glad Chuck won, but I'm not taking anything away from Wandy. He is one of the best. I hope there is a rematch.

Mo250

Awards
I'm not sure what else you were expecting. Wandy probably knew that if he chased Chuck he'd get caught with an odd-angled back pedaling shot, leaving himself vulnerable. He waited for Chuck to engage and swung off. There were more good exchanges in that fight alone than in some UFC cards as a whole. I thought it was a great fight.
Wandi was too careful and not the hungry animal we saw in Pride. I think he had an opportunity but didn't capitalize on it. I didn't think much of the exchanges to be honest.

TheTom

Awards
  • Established
I thought the Wand VS Liddell was one of the best matches I have seen in the UFC.

GSP was unreal, that guy is so zoned into the art of fighting its rediculous.

Liddell is still one of my favorite fighters of all time, I think he has a great chance to beat anyone they put infront of him in the cage.

Yes even Quinton, regardless of how counter-style Quinton is to Liddell, Liddell is just a fierce natural fighter. He can pull off some amazing, out-of-nowhere knockout punches.

And they aren't "lucky" he trains for those weird-angle back-pedaling knockout hits.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wandi was too careful and not the hungry animal we saw in Pride. I think he had an opportunity but didn't capitalize on it. I didn't think much of the exchanges to be honest.
Wandy could have charged forward headfirst, guns blazing, or thrown overheads and gone for a clinch, both probably ending up in Wand being knocked out in the first. Chuck's punches were stunning Wand in those exchanges, clearer shots would have put him away. I'm personally glad he didn't just charge in, it made for a good battle.

Mo250

Awards
Wandy could have charged forward headfirst, guns blazing, or thrown overheads and gone for a clinch, both probably ending up in Wand being knocked out in the first. Chuck's punches were stunning Wand in those exchanges, clearer shots would have put him away. I'm personally glad he didn't just charge in, it made for a good battle.
he should have taken the chance in my opinion. He might have been knocked out but he could have also had it the other way around. I think its better than getting smashed in those exchanges where is height is a disadvantage.

BIGG DOGG

BIGG DOGG

Awards
  • Established
First off i dont know how any one can say that the Chuck Silva fight was a disapointment..It was an exciting round for round exchange and chuck clearly dominated.. Silva can definitly take a punch but he did not have an upper hand a single round.. As for the # 1 contender for 205, have you all forgot about forest griffen? He has a guarenteed tittle shot after the next season of the TUF show. I thing alot of the Pride fighters are having trouble in the cage,(crokop,Silva,Shogun,ect) I have yet to be impressed.. I also feel that Chuck is beeing counted out too soon..He is a world class fighter that had two bad fights,I think this win will turn things around for him...

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
teh Cuck/Wandy fight was one of the best I have seen, and I have been wathing since UFC1. With that said, I would have liked to see more out of Wandy, but I think that Chuck's game plan was better and it showed

grila jujitsu

grila jujitsu

Awards
  • Established
teh Cuck/Wandy fight was one of the best I have seen, and I have been wathing since UFC1. With that said, I would have liked to see more out of Wandy, but I think that Chuck's game plan was better and it showed
wandy needs to get back on the juice!!! you can tell he has not been doing it! just not the same fighter !!

by the way gsp is a class act! the guy is just straight humble !

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
This was a great picks contest. 4 days later and the guy still hasn't given the results.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
GSP fukcin "owned" Hughes!! I thought Chuck did a smart thing by playing the standup game with Wandi. Liddell had the reach to just keep pumping those jabs, and score. Fedor got the easy win on Hong Man Choi last night.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just watched the Irvin/Cane fight. What was the final verdict on that injury? Was it a fractured orbital or was he just knocked stupid?

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
wasnt this the best contest? haha ive been away from a comp for weeks, sorry fellahs. with that being said i still wont post the results so next time someone else make the damn contest!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
We usually do, so why the **** did you make this one?

:blink:

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I haven't run a contest yet. Should I go back and do my pennance?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
You get a free pass, due to your "semi-hiatus" status.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
MisterEZE 16 Rd3 1:45 timepick on GSP_Hughes
Reaper329 16 Rd2 0:00 timepick on GSP_Hughes

CryingEmo 14
Alexander 10
Beowulf 10
jas123 10
Rodja 10
brass monkey 9
fatty 9
Dancebot 2000 8
firefighter2032 8
Grila Jutitsu 8
Lightning 6
UNCfan1 6
Vika808 6

GSP won at Rd 2 :06 left, 4:54 in - y'all decide who won between the two ties.

I propose to the group that Pistonpump be banned from all future play and if he starts another contest, ignored and someone else puts one up, he sure as hell is out of any contest I run.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
im sorry ill leave the contests to you guys. thanks Rouge for the backup

sorry for calling you a makeup too haha

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
WesleyInman IronMag Labs 0
Blazin604 MMA 7
Apsmith4992 General Chat 19