Unanswered Topic of The Week: Do you worry about long terms effects of preworkouts?

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The generation we are in is very unhealthy, it’s a good question and I’m really curious how we ll look at 60 years old.
What will our liver look like at 60...

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
No, not mirin at all because the effects you will see won't even hit you in your 20's. All the stuff you do now won't even begin to hit you until 35+ then you will tell yourself how stupid you were asking people..u mirin..

..just sayin.
Well said admin. I lived very hard and fast through my 20’s with a ton of stims, aas, recreational drugs, and high intensity collegiate lifting. It was right around age 30 is when I had to start paying attention to this thing called inflammation and energy. Now I deal with a ton of injuries, a systemic inflammatory disease, and I fight lower T from all the shut down. I’m still a stud and life is good, I just wish I would have been a touch smarter.

Just doing my part here to warn the younger guys that there is a lot of life left after your 20’s or even 30’s. You will come to a point where you don’t feel bulletproof. I’m now focusing all my vain energy I used to use lifting and partying to build an empire for my family and make sure I take the time to love on them.

Cheers!

*For the record, I didn’t use aas until after college. Sort of wish I would have knowing what I do now. But not sure I would have been as proud of my accomplishments. Great thread topic admin

Last edited:
thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
the body is remarkable....after all the alcohol and drugs in my younger days I feel much better than I should.

STIM ON!!!

Mixelflick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
With the amount of stims being added together, do you worry about the long terms effects of "preworkouts"?
Have been using ephedrine damn near daily for the past 30 years, nothing but upside to show for it. For example, it will boost your HDL cholesterol considerably. Something they won't tell you when singing the "ephedrine will kill you"! nonsense..

I do NOT like today's pre-workouts. Laced with caffeine in ever escalating doses, huge profit margins for supp companies and for what? Powdered caffeine. You can buy WalMart's "Jet Alert" for around $3. 90, 200mg tabs...

Bigmatt57

Bigmatt57

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I thought I was the only one who didn’t like working out with my heart about to bust out of my chest, and dying for air after each set.

dallasboy22

dallasboy22

Awards
  • Established
Have been using ephedrine damn near daily for the past 30 years, nothing but upside to show for it. For example, it will boost your HDL cholesterol considerably. Something they won't tell you when singing the "ephedrine will kill you"! nonsense..

I do NOT like today's pre-workouts. Laced with caffeine in ever escalating doses, huge profit margins for supp companies and for what? Powdered caffeine. You can buy WalMart's "Jet Alert" for around $3. 90, 200mg tabs...
Did not know that about HDL boosting. That’s awesome!

Tight1

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Moderation is everything here, I used pre workouts every time I worked out for years, then stopped for ages because I got tired of that horrible crash you get from most of them.
I've recently started using some again & I really don't know why I'm bothering to most of the time. I worked out fine without them. The only 1 that doesn't make me feel like dog **** afterwards is Hydrazine, but its expensive so i think I'll just use it when I'm feeling fatigued.
I now workout on my lunch break, which has completely changed how I feel about pre's. It isn't great going back to work feeling like a zombie...

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

lol...I used gas station ephedra for years and years-used to buy the bottle with 250 in it. I liked it better than bronkaid. miss those days!!!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A lot of pre's have vasoconstrictive properties, not really helpful for hypertrophy, I guess.
Question for others:
Did someone else also got sensitive to stims over time, like me?

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Did someone else also got sensitive to stims over time, like me?
Kind of. It seems to come and go a little. I had a time where my pre- wouldn’t seem to be doing as much, so I’d start upping the dose. Then one day, it would make me shaky, so I’d start lowering my dose back down. I’ve had a few days, I mix it up and only drink about 3/4 of it because it kicked in so hard. I don’t get it.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Kind of. It seems to come and go a little. I had a time where my pre- wouldn’t seem to be doing as much, so I’d start upping the dose. Then one day, it would make me shaky, so I’d start lowering my dose back down. I’ve had a few days, I mix it up and only drink about 3/4 of it because it kicked in so hard. I don’t get it.
I take exactly the same amount of stims 5 days a week, some days they are much more effective than others...on weekends I cut back and some days I hardly feel them and on others I get a nice stim affect....I think things going on in my life play a big role, sleep and stress mostly but diet also.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
With the amount of stims being added together, do you worry about the long terms effects of "preworkouts"?
Yes I do. I would much rather take the black coffee route or a double espresso than a pre workout. Don’t get me wrong I still use them, but try to save them for times when I have something grueling ahead of me, or my energy is a little low. I find that not using everyday really preserves how effective they are when I take them as well.

TheIronAsylum

Awards
  • Established
worked my way down to twice a week with caffiend pre workout the other days is non stim pump

confident with that

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
More worried about the test I’m running year round and all the other **** then a little pre workout. Ah also the 1g caffeine a day

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I worry more about the missing "like" button.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
May be I should worry but I don't.

Andrade556

Awards
No, but I also don’t use them every single day. As always, everything in moderation.
I agree. Ive worked all over the industry running well known supplement stores, as well as being a certified trainer for a while and I have always liked pre supps. And just like you said, everything in moderation. That's where things often go astray, when people take things (or eat) to often or too much at a time.

Working in the supplement industry I have seen MANY supps be recalled because people did not follow the directions, taking more because they though it would work better, but in the end they ended up passing away because of it, leaving the manufacturers with GREAT products having to pull them off the shelves and getting sued.

So, long story long I am not worried about long term side effects as I too use them in moderation.

Andrade556

Awards
Its rare that I find my Preworkout enjoyable when its stacked more towards the stimulant heavy side. Ive always been this way as well. I think its almost a training maturity when you can easily look back and gauge how you felt and the results that came from it. Its eye opening when you really look at how you feel, the energy leftover for regular life, and even how your workouts would even feel. I can only think of 2-3 Preworkouts that were great even with higher than norm stimulants and they are no longer available. Being a little older and honestly a little more active I appreciate a bump in energy but not a tidal wave.
I have always loved pre work outs, but often time i would use it when i needed a little kick in the ass to get to the gym. While I do like stims, and a high amount, the last few years I have been using pre work out stim piwders without Creatine. I need the energy, not the "size".

gettingbigger

Awards
I take moderate stim preworkouts on days when I'm really dragging ass, but not every time. Maybe once a week. However, I do drink coffee almost every day.

I used to have high blood pressure before I got my weight under control, so I am cognizant of the potential long-term negatives to prolonged, heavy stim use.

yoshi5674

yoshi5674

Awards
  • Established
No, not mirin at all because the effects you will see won't even hit you in your 20's. All the stuff you do now won't even begin to hit you until 35+ then you will tell yourself how stupid you were asking people..u mirin..

..just sayin. o_O:LOL:
Exactly, wait till you’ve done something for 2-3 decades and then you can say “does or does not affect me” lol.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Considering what you wrote maybe you should. Lol.

J/k

leviowen

Awards
Being sensitive to certain stims it's safe to say yes. I have since knocked most of the "crazy" stims on the head. Long-term effects of these kind of supplements can't be good for ones mental health and perhaps dopamine.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I consume a lot of caffeine a day, and I have for years. I'm still OK (I Think)

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I consume a lot of caffeine a day, and I have for years. I'm still OK (I Think)
What is a lot? And caffeine would probably be the least of my worries.

jtbull

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
SOme swear by them. I dont use them. I used to, but figure back in the 90s when i was heavy into bodybuilding i did not use them and built a pretty nice physique and many pros did not either like dorian yates who is my favorite bodybuilder

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My grandmother lived to 96 and drank espresso all day everyday. She was easily drinking over a gram of caffeine a day easily.
But I agree with some of the “exotic” stim blends that are out there these days. I usually just stick with caffeine mostly
Actually a huge difference between caffeine and coffee.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The generation we are in is very unhealthy, it’s a good question and I’m really curious how we ll look at 60 years old.
61 years old doing OK

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

thaddeusjon

Awards
I don't use a preworkout, save BCAA capsules. I don't like the stim from caffeine...

mklazer20

Awards
I used to love them back when Noxplode was good lol. But now i dont use anything with stimulants. Most of the time i have aminos or glutamine which kind of gives me the feeling of having one, but i i feel for me they are a little much. I couldn’t imagine taking one now I would probably have a heart attack now that im in my 30s.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Caffeine doesn’t affect me. I can drink a quad americano and go to sleep.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Coffee has large amounts of caffeine in it. What’s the huge difference ?
Wouldn't say that large, compare to the 300+mg in most pre's.

soxbsbll05

soxbsbll05

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Tall coffees at Starbucks are around 200mg of caffeine per cup and Venti's are pushing 400mg and up

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Tall coffees at Starbucks are around 200mg of caffeine per cup and Venti's are pushing 400mg and up
190mg and its a normal large. Most don't buy the Venti....

Your average cup of coffee in the home is 90-150mg.

Last edited:
TheVenom

TheVenom

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I used to be, now I rarely use stim pre's.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Coffee addicts typically drink more than 300mg of caffiene worth of coffee lol.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Coffee addicts typically drink more than 300mg of caffiene worth of coffee lol.
Yes, addicts.

Not sure anyone that's an addict is healthy. lol

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
190mg and its a normal large. Most don't buy the Venti....

Your average cup of coffee in the home is 90-150mg.
How many cups of coffee does the average drinker consume?

Although I’d probably argue some coffee every day would have more net benefit than some of these pre-workouts...

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
How many cups of coffee does the average drinker consume?

Although I’d probably argue some coffee every day would have more net benefit than some of these pre-workouts...
I think its around 2 when we look at the general population.

I don't think anyone in this thread said coffee was unhealthy in moderation.....its mainly about the stacking of these stims and long term health.

DMAA and DHMA are bit more than 200mg of coffee..lol

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I Got Some Coffee I brought home from Cuba that is like High Test !! (I'm the only one that can drink it)

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I Got Some Coffee I brought home from Cuba that is like High Test !! (I'm the only one that can drink it)
Yeah I've had that in Miami...stuff is pure rocket fuel

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Well, I didn’t worry about it until now...Thanks

love2liftkat

love2liftkat