Unanswered Topic of The Week: Do you worry about long terms effects of preworkouts?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
With the amount of stims being added together, do you worry about the long terms effects of "preworkouts"?

JJ_ST1N

Awards
Hmm, interesting, I always thought about this too.

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yes. Being a past lover of stims, I had too discontinue them all together. I now have much better workouts without stims and I feel they definitely cause damage to the brain and body in many ways - much of it due to brining undue stress and constiction to the overall system.

Brutefit

Brutefit

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Not really although I'm a lover of stims I'm not addicted to it. And always used it in moderation, not on every workout. Stims only intense workouts or only on the days which I don't feel like working out or drained.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My grandmother lived to 96 and drank espresso all day everyday. She was easily drinking over a gram of caffeine a day easily.
But I agree with some of the “exotic” stim blends that are out there these days. I usually just stick with caffeine mostly

ironkill

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ive moved to mostly non stim pres, save the odd leg day when i need the extra boost

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yes. Being a past lover of stims, I had too discontinue them all together. I now have much better workouts without stims and I feel they definitely cause damage to the brain and body in many ways - much of it due to brining undue stress and constiction to the overall system.
I totally agree with this.. I wouldn't even think of working out without a heavy hitting Pre 6-7 months ago. Now, my energy and workouts are much better without them (still have to figure out what to do with like 10-12 tubs of Pre just sitting idle..lol).

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I totally agree with this.. I wouldn't even think of working out without a heavy hitting Pre 6-7 months ago. Now, my energy and workouts are much better without them (still have to figure out what to do with like 10-12 tubs of Pre just sitting idle..lol).
I got to a point where the effects were hardly noticeable but I could notice subtle changes in my mood and appearance for the worse. Bags under my eyes, more lethargic during the day, grumpy, etc....

I basically came off entirely and tried to reset everything and now a cup of coffee or 100mg of caffeine gives me the pep I need.....

As for the pump and other effects, I still use standalone formulas or ingredients for that only when I work out and not on leg day.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I got to a point where the effects were hardly noticeable but I could notice subtle changes in my mood and appearance for the worse. Bags under my eyes, more lethargic during the day, grumpy, etc....

I basically came off entirely and tried to reset everything and now a cup of coffee or 100mg of caffeine gives me the pep I need.....

As for the pump and other effects, I still use standalone formulas or ingredients for that only when I work out and not on leg day.
To me, the PREs we’re just bad after a while of use. They were counter productive in every way. Now, Just a cup of coffee and I am good to go.. I just take some Taurine and Aminos Preworkout.

bubbabignuts

bubbabignuts

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nah I don’t worry about that kinda stuff. I’ve been taking pre workouts since I was 17 and I’m 29 now. U mirin? Also never really took a legit stim break either, though I do alternate between a high and low stim pre.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nah I don’t worry about that kinda stuff. I’ve been taking pre workouts since I was 17 and I’m 29 now. U mirin? Also never really took a legit stim break either, though I do alternate between a high and low stim pre.
No, not mirin at all because the effects you will see won't even hit you in your 20's. All the stuff you do now won't even begin to hit you until 35+ then you will tell yourself how stupid you were asking people..u mirin..

..just sayin. o_O:LOL:

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
hey man, I think you need my addy!!!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
hey man, I think you need my addy!!!

Oconns28

Oconns28

Awards
  • Established

I’m currently dealing with some similar symptoms right now. Unfortunately with life timing I’m going through intensive training for my new career (firefighter) so the training can be physical and or mentally taxing. I have 8 more weeks of training 5 days per week so it’s pretty hard to commit to that withdrawal

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I’m currently dealing with some similar symptoms right now. Unfortunately with life timing I’m going through intensive training for my new career (firefighter) so the training can be physical and or mentally taxing. I have 8 more weeks of training 5 days per week so it’s pretty hard to commit to that withdrawal
I actually been using the zipfizz sticks. My wife loves them and its basically a 100mg caffeine powder with a ton of b vitamins. I was surprised at how much pep I got coming off the heavy stims.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I actually been using the zipfizz sticks. My wife loves them and its basically a 100mg caffeine powder with a ton of b vitamins. I was surprised at how much pep I got coming off the heavy stims.
Interested in hearing what your stim usage was prior to coming off? what would you use PWO?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Interested in hearing what your stim usage was prior to coming off? what would you use PWO?

It varied but mainly DHMA formulas off and on....also loved Yohimbine.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’ve seen/heard lots of anecdotes about people feeling better coming off stims, but I’ve never seen any actual data on harm from stimulants (assuming doses aren’t excessive). Personally, I’ve taken many breaks from stims and never notice any benefit. When I resume using the stims, there’s no change in tolerance either. So I haven’t come off in a while. Does anyone have data showing negative effects from stimulant usage?

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It varied but mainly DHMA formulas off and on....also loved Yohimbine.
Ah cool - Yohimbine can be a real shitter on mood and feelings in general when used in high doses as it becomes a 5-HT1A-agonist.

Good to hear you can get away with such a low amount of stims now, I need to wean myself down but so hard to after werking 12 hour days.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ah cool - Yohimbine can be a real shitter on mood and feelings in general when used in high doses as it becomes a 5-HT1A-agonist.

Good to hear you can get away with such a low amount of stims now, I need to wean myself down but so hard to after werking 12 hour days.

That's the thing, Yohimbine is actually more an anti-depressant with me at low doses. I never went that high.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Lol.. I live very far from you, big man..
I KNOW...one of those things that are nice to think about but know won't happen-eva notty!!!

Rockzilla

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No, not mirin at all because the effects you will see won't even hit you in your 20's. All the stuff you do now won't even begin to hit you until 35+ then you will tell yourself how stupid you were asking people..u mirin..

..just sayin. o_O:LOL:
I don’t see any reason why he wouldn’t show any bad sides now. His physiology will be the same. The only thing I’d see actually affecting him at an older age is PED use, the majority of this forum seems to be in TRT.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don’t see any reason why he wouldn’t show any bad sides now. His physiology will be the same. The only thing I’d see actually affecting him at an older age is PED use, the majority of this forum seems to be in TRT.
Thats like saying you would see signs of heart disease in your 20's....

Rockzilla

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thats like saying you would see signs of heart disease in your 20's....
Well considering recent studies have shown it’s not from eating eggs and more associated with genetics, at any age the possibility is still there.

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well considering recent studies have shown it’s not from eating eggs and more associated with genetics, at any age the possibility is still there.

Huh?

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Lol most of the people on here who are on hrt have normal htpa function prior to going on

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

There are a number of conditions, genetic or not that you can't spot in your 20's that will effect you later in life. Insulin resistance, heart disease, liver damage, etc...the list is very large.

Codybenz

Codybenz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I’ll be 35 his year, but I’ve only been using preworkout for the last 2 years of my life, never used before. So I figure I have plenty of lost time to make up for. I have a 33 year buffer zone.

dunkfunk2000

dunkfunk2000

Awards
Eh... not a big pre-workout guy. So I am not worried about long term effects.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yes. I won’t use the DMAA, DMHA, Synephrines etc. for that reason. They are too hard on the heart. They are adrenaline analogs and they work too much like adrenaline.

I will use phenylethylamines though. I actually am finding plain old pharma amphetamine at a normal clinical dose (5mg) to be a safer option than most hardcore PWOs. Much of the same mental effect, almost none of the crazy heart effects.

It sounds backwards, but it’s true and the data is there to back it up as far as comparing it to the compounds that have actually been studied. Amphetamine is safer than dmaa.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Looking at the heart attacks for healthy young males now a days there is definitely some merit to this. Is speeding up the heart really that beneficial long-term?

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yes. I won’t use the DMAA, DMHA, Synephrines etc. for that reason. They are too hard on the heart. They are adrenaline analogs and they work too much like adrenaline.

I will use phenylethylamines though. I actually am finding plain old pharma amphetamine at a normal clinical dose (5mg) to be a safer option than most hardcore PWOs. Much of the same mental effect, almost none of the crazy heart effects.

It sounds backwards, but it’s true and the data is there to back it up as far as comparing it to the compounds that have actually been studied. Amphetamine is safer than dmaa.
High caffiene raises my heart rate more than DMHA.

MR.WHITE187

Awards
With the amount of stims being added together, do you worry about the long terms effects of "preworkouts"?

Does anyone else use the caffeine ..aspirin ..baking soda.. as there pre wrk out?? Its so hard to trust that the good out weighs the bad when it come to prewrkouts... What wld u guys recommend??

TheSuppGuy

TheSuppGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
To me, the PREs we’re just bad after a while of use. They were counter productive in every way. Now, Just a cup of coffee and I am good to go.. I just take some Taurine and Aminos Preworkout.
Taurine for what use?

chemjr

chemjr

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Taurine for what use?
If you dont use stims taurine will jack u up a bit. Thats why they put it in rockstar n such. Paired w a little caffeine and you got a killer combo for non stim ppl like me.

TheSuppGuy

TheSuppGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you dont use stims taurine will jack u up a bit. Thats why they put it in rockstar n such. Paired w a little caffeine and you got a killer combo for non stim ppl like me.
Hmm. Isnt it meant to protect your heart when using high stims etc? I mean redbull uses it since people would have been getting cramps all the time if not?

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Hmm. Isnt it meant to protect your heart when using high stims etc? I mean redbull uses it since people would have been getting cramps all the time if not?
I’ve heard different theories. Taurine has GABAergic activity. Someone (forget who) said that it was originally included in energy drinks to try and make you more sleepy so you’d want to drink more. More likely, I think it would give effects similar to a caffeine/theanine combo. Also, taurine has benefits as an antioxidant and has been shown to improve exercise performance.

brundel

brundel

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A pre workout product is supposed to be for performance enhancement right?
Some stimulants can be helpful in lowish doses (in healthy adults) but once you get above low doses CNS stims work against performance. Blood vessels constrict, heart rate increases, the subject becomes dehydrated. The blood becomes thick and the heart struggles to pump. This can be dangerous under normal circumstances but add extremely strenuous training and its a recipe for disaster. Eventually someone is going to have a heart attack or stroke and frankly the companies that produce these products are to blame because consumers trust them to produce safe products that work.
Unfortunately these days a HUGE percentage of pre workout products are actually stimulant based which makes no sense from a performance enhancement perspective but the companies who produce these products dont care about improving performance and they dont care about your health or they wouldnt make products like this.
If you want huge doses of stims before training thats on you but we as brand owners should not be supplying products like this just to take money from those who are either unaware of the dangers or are basically stimulant addicts looking for their daily fix.
Personally I think there needs to be a change in direction.
Im gonna do my part. I hope others do the same and start removing the high stim doses from pres.
150-200mg caf. Ok. The right vasodilators and proper hydration can mitigate most of the negative sides.
350+ with other mixed stimulants is just not ok. NOTHING is gonna stop those blood vessels from constricting to dangerous levels.

The potential for long term damage is exceptional.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Its rare that I find my Preworkout enjoyable when its stacked more towards the stimulant heavy side. Ive always been this way as well. I think its almost a training maturity when you can easily look back and gauge how you felt and the results that came from it. Its eye opening when you really look at how you feel, the energy leftover for regular life, and even how your workouts would even feel. I can only think of 2-3 Preworkouts that were great even with higher than norm stimulants and they are no longer available. Being a little older and honestly a little more active I appreciate a bump in energy but not a tidal wave.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The generation we are in is very unhealthy, it’s a good question and I’m really curious how we ll look at 60 years old.

brundel

brundel

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Its rare that I find my Preworkout enjoyable when its stacked more towards the stimulant heavy side. Ive always been this way as well. I think its almost a training maturity when you can easily look back and gauge how you felt and the results that came from it. Its eye opening when you really look at how you feel, the energy leftover for regular life, and even how your workouts would even feel. I can only think of 2-3 Preworkouts that were great even with higher than norm stimulants and they are no longer available. Being a little older and honestly a little more active I appreciate a bump in energy but not a tidal wave.
Right. What comes up must come down. If you take a large stim dose you can almost certainly expect a heavy crash which just ruins the rest of your day. I like training and feeling fantastic afterward. Drained of course but a good meal fixes that right up. I just saw another pre workout release ad/marketing. 650mg stims. Normal people will NOT feel good with 650mg stims. Guys then say "well just take half" but that then means your getting half of the rest of the actives as well. Hows that gonna work? Not well.
This is why we are releasing our pre (in 30 days) with low stims.
And, we are going to release a stim only powder.

So if you want ultra high performance enhancement the pre will dominate. If you want stimulation for working, studying, energy etc. You can use the stim powder.
If you are dragging and really need that push to train you can combine.
But your shouldnt have to take 650mg stims to take a pre.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Just to put a few myths to bed in this thread

Stimulants used in pre-workouts such as DMAA/DMHA, Caffeine etc act as 'inodilators' which have a positive inotropic action as well as peripheral vasodilation. Specifically Sympathomimetic agonists act by stimulation of beta-receptors, with a consequent increase of myocardial contractility and peripheral vasodilation. Caffeine at effective dosages acts as a non-selective phosphodiesterase inhibitor which further amplfies both myocardial contractility and peripheral vasodilation.

These effects serve to increase exercise performance and enhance pumps, obviously dosage makes the poison at which point it becomes counter intuitive, but that depends on the individuals tolerance.