To Infinity.... and Beyond!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Those are the only 2 worthwhile gyms near you?
There are a handful of powerlifting gyms "in the area" but the i5 corridor of Seattle-Tacoma has turned into LA as all the californians moved up here lol. So when I leave work between 3-4pm it can take 1-2hrs to get anywhere. staying in the town where my office is lets me get a good session in while I'm fresh then hit the highway after rush hour is gone and I still end up getting home like an hour earlier than when I used to drive to the gym by my house after work.

plus... I can get lunch time sessions in lately! which has been optimal for energy levels.

You don’t have to attempt PRs, just because you think you are probably good for it. Just keep training - as your strength increases, you will be able to reach out and TAKE them confidently as part of your training.
I'm feeling much much better with the heavier weights now after spending so much time focusing on 225, but I can tell that I need to practice heavy weights more. the hardest part about 300 and 315 today was honestly just unracking it. with the SS both weights were so easy I knew I could have gone up even higher. I agree with you though. I'm just chompin' at the bit ready to go after the next target since I hit that 225 x 10 I wanted so badly.

heavy weight is starting to feel much better though. I don't feel so "thin" for lack of better term, when pushing heavier weights around.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The last time I hit 315 I was 50, 15years ago !
I am hoping to get that again before I hit 51, we shall see. So far so good!
OK so 315
Minus my current 285
divided by 10 years
means I need to add 3lbs a year to catch it, sounds reasonable! and matches my last 30lb increase lol
Oh see, you got this. No problem! :) Just keep on pushing and it may even be before the end of the year.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Oh see, you got this. No problem! :) Just keep on pushing and it may even be before the end of the year.
a lot of it has been thanks to all you guys in this forum constantly inspiring me and pushing me. watching @Hyde and @dapack competing, and @SkRaw85 bench pressing more than a gorilla. I find myself constantly excited for the next training session and lately... dare I say... excited for squats lol.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
a lot of it has been thanks to all you guys in this forum constantly inspiring me and pushing me. watching @Hyde and @dapack competing, and @SkRaw85 bench pressing more than a gorilla. I find myself constantly excited for the next training session and lately... dare I say... excited for squats lol.
Enjoying squatting is, in my opinion, largely about acceptance. You must accept your fears, your doubts, the struggle you know you will experience, and the realization that you can walk away from the bar any time you choose.

Only when you understand this, can you feel grateful for the opportunity.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Enjoying squatting is, in my opinion, largely about acceptance. You must accept your fears, your doubts, the struggle you know you will experience, and the realization that you can walk away from the bar any time you choose.

Yes, a good squatting session is a cathartic experience. You just have to give yourself into the suck that it will be and learn to really enjoy that grind! That and balls out deadlift sessions are some of my favorites.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Warm up
DB RDLs, bicep curls, bent over rows

Deads
10 x 135
Deficits one plate
5 x 135, 185
3 x 225, 275, 315, 345, 375

Conventional
1 x 405
3 x 425

RDLs standing on red band
225 x 5, 10

Two red bands same
225 x 6, 10

Barbell rows, with one red band
3 x 10 x 135

Ez bar curls
15 x 80
12 x 70
10 x 60

No rest drop sets for the pump.

Notes
193 this morning
The banded effect is awesome! The RDLs lit up my hammies and LATS way more than say even 275-315 RDLs do.

Some dude asked me if I'm a powerlifter and told me to compete, hell of a compliment!

5 squirts UH
Pump addict

IMG20230323112151.jpg

Last edited:
MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice session!

The "5 squirts UH " had me laughing knowing the UH meant ultra hard. Maybe we should stick with the word pumps instead, but the squirts sound like a hellagood time!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
The "5 squirts UH " had me laughing knowing the UH meant ultra hard. Maybe we should stick with the word pumps instead, but the squirts sound like a hellagood time!
funny thing is I have deleted squirts before and replaced with pumps lol 😅
I went into the gym feeling a little less than aggressive hoping that it would turn on once I got going.
between the tiktok honies, and the guy deadlifting next to me, as soon as I started moving I just felt the aggression and wanted to go hard and heavy.

My whole back from like lower ribs up to traps is lit up from those bands. such a cool accessory!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah Bands are pretty awesome!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Great Motivation !!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Tonight my boy and I fly to AZ for Mariners spring training over the weekend. I love travelling with him for 3 reasons (aside from the fact that hey, I like hanging with my son):

a. the food is simple. a date is pizza
b. we can play video games in our underwear for hours. I'm not a gamer, and I never play unless I'm with him
c. we travel super cheap because of reasons a and b.

I was going to throw in one more major lifting day today OHP and dynamic bench with bands but opted against it to let my body rest and give the supplements a rest until I return next week. the sling shot has been irritating my dry nipples and last night they were all peeling skin off and everything, so I went from regular lotion to a vitamin e capsule that I busted open and applied and today they're better. I also had some slight irritation from the absolved (I hate to say it cause I think it worked while I was in mexico) and it looks like I have about 12 little bed bug bites on my stomach from hip to hip right where my leather weight lifting belt hits me.

When I lift at lunch I sweat. I wash my hands and face and will pack extra boxer briefs but can't necessarily shower till I get home 6 or more hours later. So I think between transdermals drying out my skin, sweat, leather lifting belt irritation and everything else, my skin, and entire system could use a few days rest.

the downfall is nutrition will NOT be good for a few days. but hopefully weds I'll come back with a good squat session.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
also I want to follow that up with an interesting state of my mentality.
I never of course stopped being a gym rat but at the beginning of sept took my 'training' serious again. after 7 months of very hard core (in my mind) dedication and training, a few PRs, lots of new stuff learned, my excitement and aggression is still at 100%. Still have a ton to learn but already thinking about next weeks lifting plan!

I just recognize that as a cool state of mind after 40 years because 7 months of consistency is a tall order to maintain enthusiasm. I'm grateful for the hunger. I think I've done a better job of protecting myself against chronic fatigue and injuries than on any other strength cycle in my past.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
also I want to follow that up with an interesting state of my mentality.
I never of course stopped being a gym rat but at the beginning of sept took my 'training' serious again. after 7 months of very hard core (in my mind) dedication and training, a few PRs, lots of new stuff learned, my excitement and aggression is still at 100%. Still have a ton to learn but already thinking about next weeks lifting plan!

I just recognize that as a cool state of mind after 40 years because 7 months of consistency is a tall order to maintain enthusiasm. I'm grateful for the hunger. I think I've done a better job of protecting myself against chronic fatigue and injuries than on any other strength cycle in my past.
You ultimately have to enjoy the process. You won’t make progress if it’s not reasonably sensible, but you also will not make progress if you cannot execute something consistently, so it’s important you enjoy this hobby (because that’s entirely the point of a hobby).

It can be very hard at times, it’s not always fun, & it’s often work, but you want this to enrich your life in the end. If you are finding that, you are doing it right!!!

Enjoy the weekend with your boy! Safe travels

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You ultimately have to enjoy the process. You won’t make progress if it’s not reasonably sensible, but you also will not make progress if you cannot execute something consistently, so it’s important you enjoy this hobby (because that’s entirely the point of a hobby).

It can be very hard at times, it’s not always fun, & it’s often work, but you want this to enrich your life in the end. If you are finding that, you are doing it right!!!

Enjoy the weekend with your boy! Safe travels
Well said @Hyde!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Enjoy your weekend and of course PIZZA!! 🍕

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Tonight my boy and I fly to AZ for Mariners spring training over the weekend. I love travelling with him for 3 reasons (aside from the fact that hey, I like hanging with my son):

a. the food is simple. a date is pizza
b. we can play video games in our underwear for hours. I'm not a gamer, and I never play unless I'm with him
c. we travel super cheap because of reasons a and b.

I was going to throw in one more major lifting day today OHP and dynamic bench with bands but opted against it to let my body rest and give the supplements a rest until I return next week. the sling shot has been irritating my dry nipples and last night they were all peeling skin off and everything, so I went from regular lotion to a vitamin e capsule that I busted open and applied and today they're better. I also had some slight irritation from the absolved (I hate to say it cause I think it worked while I was in mexico) and it looks like I have about 12 little bed bug bites on my stomach from hip to hip right where my leather weight lifting belt hits me.

When I lift at lunch I sweat. I wash my hands and face and will pack extra boxer briefs but can't necessarily shower till I get home 6 or more hours later. So I think between transdermals drying out my skin, sweat, leather lifting belt irritation and everything else, my skin, and entire system could use a few days rest.

the downfall is nutrition will NOT be good for a few days. but hopefully weds I'll come back with a good squat session.
What games do you play with your son? I just finished a few rounds of Fortnite with my son and daughter 😆
But normally it's Warzone 1 and 2 with my son.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Warm up
DB RDLs, bicep curls, bent over rows

Deads
10 x 135
Deficits one plate
5 x 135, 185
3 x 225, 275, 315, 345, 375

Conventional
1 x 405
3 x 425

RDLs standing on red band
225 x 5, 10

Two red bands same
225 x 6, 10

Barbell rows, with one red band
3 x 10 x 135

Ez bar curls
15 x 80
12 x 70
10 x 60

No rest drop sets for the pump.

Notes
193 this morning
The banded effect is awesome! The RDLs lit up my hammies and LATS way more than say even 275-315 RDLs do.

Some dude asked me if I'm a powerlifter and told me to compete, hell of a compliment!

5 squirts UH
Pump addict

View attachment 230505
Nice pulls mate!

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

You sound like something obi wan kenobi or yoda would say LOL

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Banded RDL's are the best. Didn't do them until last meet and felt like it taught when doing conv deads to activate my hips a lot more when pulling from the ground.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Conventional deadlift is probably the truest single test of total body strength, but I feel the squat is the king of all lifts because of what it can teach us mentally about ourselves.

That, and I’ve been watching The Mandalorian lately
I'd love for deads to be most important since my buddy has a 500lb squat and I can pull more, but at the end of the day I still love the total poundage from all three as a versatile look at what a human can do. Xfit was like that but more in the mobility and metabolic capacity than strength. (stronger than a runner, faster than a lifter of course was the motto, but what warrior doesn't want to be both the fastest and strongest?)

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It's been a great few days. Today we are blowing it all out. Pool day, Mexican, cowboy movies. My 13yr old is already a Josey Whales fan and last night we watched Tombstone. I think it might be John Wayne today.

I'm thinking about fasting tomorrow since we fly home around 1pm so I only really have to be disciplined until then, I'll get back to my house around 8pm. I could make it a 36hr fast and hit the carbs hard Weds morning for three hard lifting days before next weekend.

Nips are still super dry. Sorry to post that so much it's a weird irritability but I think vit E has been the best solution.

I've been off all supps all weekend and aside from no desire to get in a fight with anyone I feel great lol
IMG20230327144154.jpg

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well not having a desire to fight anyone is a good thing right? ;)

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'd love for deads to be most important since my buddy has a 500lb squat and I can pull more, but at the end of the day I still love the total poundage from all three as a versatile look at what a human can do. Xfit was like that but more in the mobility and metabolic capacity than strength. (stronger than a runner, faster than a lifter of course was the motto, but what warrior doesn't want to be both the fastest and strongest?)
I'm pretty cool with people finding whatever metrics or motivations they prefer to keep grinding. I like a more balanced approach for myself between strength and cardio (probably biased by my build).

Have to decide this springs duo of strength vs cardio goals. :unsure:

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That pool does look relaxing !!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I'm pretty cool with people finding whatever metrics or motivations they prefer to keep grinding. I like a more balanced approach for myself between strength and cardio (probably biased by my build).

Have to decide this springs duo of strength vs cardio goals. :unsure:
Looks like another awesome setting to recharge and just enjoy life. @Dustin07 definitely doing it right!
That pool does look relaxing !!
It was such a great time. I'm really happy for my parents to be able to have this little snowbird place. At night I texted mom and she remotely turned on a waterfall and underwater LEDs lights?? My boy loved it lol. I turned on some 90s grunge rock, sat on the back with a diet coke and we practiced our canonballs.

But in regards to cardio I gotta say, two days of short swimming sessions in this little pool really lit up my calves and ankles! I've not done real cardio since like Sept and it felt amazing, I sorta missed it. It has me thinking about looking for a training day that I can throw cardio in without negative consequences on my strength training.

Maybe it was the sun, but I felt really invigorated with the cardio. I should be a better swimmer, my mom was a Jr Olympian and when I went to high school, her old swim records were still there lol. But I'm not. which means I probably get a better workout than her when swimming haha.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It was such a great time. I'm really happy for my parents to be able to have this little snowbird place. At night I texted mom and she remotely turned on a waterfall and underwater LEDs lights?? My boy loved it lol. I turned on some 90s grunge rock, sat on the back with a diet coke and we practiced our canonballs.

But in regards to cardio I gotta say, two days of short swimming sessions in this little pool really lit up my calves and ankles! I've not done real cardio since like Sept and it felt amazing, I sorta missed it. It has me thinking about looking for a training day that I can throw cardio in without negative consequences on my strength training.

Maybe it was the sun, but I felt really invigorated with the cardio. I should be a better swimmer, my mom was a Jr Olympian and when I went to high school, her old swim records were still there lol. But I'm not. which means I probably get a better workout than her when swimming haha.
I sink like a rock so swimming is like a sprint for me to stay above water. Underwater swimming, I am better and it requires less effort for me.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I sink like a rock so swimming is like a sprint for me to stay above water. Underwater swimming, I am better and it requires less effort for me.
Same, zero swimming for me anymore except to go to the other side of a pool/return from a dive. I can’t tread water without massive effort to support my density at this point. Kind of makes me sad because I always wanted to go snorkeling, but I would have to stop lifting or get over 300lbs to float again.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Same, zero swimming for me anymore except to go to the other side of a pool/return from a dive. I can’t tread water without massive effort to support my density at this point. Kind of makes me sad because I always wanted to go snorkeling, but I would have to stop lifting or get over 300lbs to float again.
Yep you will have to scuba dive with an air rig if you wanna see the purdy fish!

I remember taking swimming classes. Just take a big breath. fill your chest with air and hold it, then you will float they said. Then I sank directly to the bottom... Treading water... yeah I would be dead in a very short time... I got good making the floatation devices out of jeans though!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yep you will have to scuba dive with an air rig if you wanna see the purdy fish!

I remember taking swimming classes. Just take a big breath. fill your chest with air and hold it, then you will float they said. Then I sank directly to the bottom... Treading water... yeah I would be dead in a very short time... I got good making the floatation devices out of jeans though!
so sorta funny, I took diving lessons back around 07-08 and in the class setting I only needed a little weight but when we finished and went on our own outside of class I needed 4x the amount of weight to get under. My instructor was a 350lb dude who could barely get up and down the beach without a heart attack. He was an ex - SEAL, great guy and I don't mean any disrespect, but he used FAR less weight than me to dive.

he and the other instructors told me it's nerves, and over time you can get way with less and less weight as you get more comfortable with the whole scenario. I don't know much else about it, I only went one other time cause my brother who was to be my dive buddy was deployed and he never took up diving when he got home from Iraq. that and Puget Sound is cold as **** so not really that enjoyable for me lol.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Interesting, I wonder if there is a bit of unintentionally holding your breath until you get really relaxed with the process or something. I actually find being under water extremely relaxing. So maybe that is why I sink like a rock. :) Nah, I am just dense!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Squatz
15 x bar, 95
5 x 135, 185
1 x 225, 255, 275, 295, 315, 325
5 x 290

Red bands
2 x 5 x 135

Green bands
5 x 135, 185, 225

Front squats
3 x 135, 185, 205
10 x 135

EZ bar curls
20 x 60
10 x 80,70,60
Drop sets zero rest

Leg ext
3 sets

Notes
Weight 192

These bands are awesome. Now that I'm finding ways to use them I can start getting serious about how I want to integrate them and when

Left me super gassed and my abs are SPENT.

IMG20230329114958.jpg
Screenshot_2023-03-29-11-33-50-13_801c3494cc30bc6d615367769f98046d.jpg

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
So officially, what do I need to bench, dl, squat and ohp to catch you?
So pre-covid

BW 178--185llbs:
OHP 205
Bench 280
Dead 450
Squat 345 x 3 (never got to 1rm above this)

PCE (Post Covid Era, lol):

BW 185-192 (all below done in 2023)
OHP 165-190?
Bench 285
Dead 465
Squat 325-335

I haven't trained OHP in many months but last week or week before my buddy and I warmed up with them and I went to 165 x 3 pretty easily. I don't have 205 in the bag anymore but I probably have bodyweight.

Once a week I might warm up with OHP before bench because it just doesn't feel nearly as taxing and last time I did it I PR'd bench with that 225 x 10 (I think it was the same day).