To Infinity.... and Beyond!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yeah my regular gym doesn't have a decline bench but my "emergency/close to work" one does so I thought getting my body used to declines and inclines again this week might be smart. inclines are a bit rough on the shoulders, but declines felt great.
I’ve always felt like decline is such a short range of motion and not particularly useful.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’ve always felt like decline is such a short range of motion and not particularly useful.
It’s basically more of a tricep/lockout overload work. Think about them more like board press work for bench but without practicing leg drive.

Most commercial gym guys like them because they can use a bit more weight, and have zero idea it’s fairly specific as far as hypertrophy results would go (back of arms).

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I see it for two things, overload and lower pec targeting.
That goes back to high school for me, bunch of hormonal teenage boys lifting, shirts off, trying to figure out why we look different. almost like when you have that tiny hint of what looks like the beginning of gyno, I always felt that decline helps round out the lower pec some. maybe it's in my head, but I think it adds some symmetry. although dips probably help too.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Just realized I haven't logged in a while. I sorta lost my key power lifting gym. I'm friends with the owner and have been for many years, our rates are grandfathered in so I'm paying half price from new members... but since covid ended his gym has exploded and he has these kids programs every afternoon now.................... in the power lifting room. I've tried 5:30, 4:30, and even bailing out of work early for 3:30pm session but there's always a crowd of 12yr olds. I got kicked out twice by the coach before I called it final straw and got into a bit of an argument with the owner...

trying something new. 4:30am when nobody else is there. It's going to make real power lifting difficult that early but... adapt and adjust. right now I just need to find the routine and habit that I can stick to.

bench
95 x 15
135 x 10
165 x 10
185 x 3 x 10

lateral raises
3 x 10

forward raises
3 x 10

db curls
3 x 10

LISS
20 minutes

notes
I'm going to need an even earlier start, just jamming this out got me to work 5 minutes late lol. I normally like to roll into the office at 6am and today was 7:05 lol.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
The coach kicked you out? Who’s the paying member here?
Apparently that’s how 1/2 priced grandfathered members are treated.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
The coach kicked you out? Who’s the paying member here?
Apparently that’s how 1/2 priced grandfathered members are treated.
He's a young dude who's cutting his teeth. I've watched him coaching these kids for months now as it builds and I don't agree with half the **** he's teaching them, I coached for years, but I'm not getting involved. if you have kids aged 12-16 lifting weights then you are solving the worlds problems...

But yeah. twice I'm halfway into a squat session, he taps me on the shoulder and says he needs the rack for his class. The first time I wouldn't budge. "you almost done? I have to coach class" --- "I'm close enough" (I wasn't, I added 5 sets cause I was pissed that he interrupted my working set)

Second time "hey I need this rack for my class". So I look across the power lifting room, there seems to be plenty of space for everyone. "Make the kids double up and share a rack". He says, "I need to give each of them their own rack".

"no, you don't. teach them how to share a rack. they're not loading more than 90lbs anyways"

"yes I do, I have to have this room reserved for the class".

So i told him to let the owner know this is why the long time members that didn't cancel their memberships and kept paying through pandemic lock downs are leaving in droves now. they're tired of the bullshit, broken equipment, disappearing equipment, kids walking in with boomboxes so loud I can't hear my own headphones etc. this was just one of those things that pushed me over the edge and I finally bitched about it.

I took a step back (and a week) and said OK adapt and adjust. so I'm attempting mornings..... lol. on the plus side, my golf game is improving, ha.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It’s actually very important for the kids to train together. Giving them an individual bar will hold them back psychologically on a foundational level: it sets the precedent that they are unique and should develop at an entirely independent pace, instead of trying to keep up with their more talented peers.

A rising tide lifts all boats, and training kids at similar strength on the same bar helps boost the weakest individual by impressing the belief that they can achieve what the stronger kid is doing. It also helps control the pace of the training - you need to stay on task so you don’t miss your turn.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It’s actually very important for the kids to train together. Giving them an individual bar will hold them back psychologically on a foundational level: it sets the precedent that they are unique and should develop at an entirely independent pace, instead of trying to keep up with their more talented peers.

A rising tide lifts all boats, and training kids at similar strength on the same bar helps boost the weakest individual by impressing the belief that they can achieve what the stronger kid is doing. It also helps control the pace of the training - you need to stay on task so you don’t miss your turn.
I don't disagree with any of that

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Been lifting but not logging since it's not linear right now. Working on just developing habit with this new gym and location since it's an hour from home, but 5 minutes from work. The equipment is foul but new so it works. I've been maintaining pulls in my normal training area 300-400lbs and put up a 250lb bench yesterday with surprising ease. My wife and I are converting her sons old upstairs bedroom (he's off to college) a bit. Have her spin bike and a new treadmill up there.

I figure if I get in 30minutes of LISS in the morning before work then I can still do coffee with her, lift after work and not stress over cardio. Get more done with less time... fingers crossed. heading to vegas tonight because we haven't seen sun in 9 months. Next week back at it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Haven’t seen the sun! That sounds awful man. Grey all the time would ruin me.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Haven’t seen the sun! That sounds awful man. Grey all the time would ruin me.
Yeah I think it's finally hitting my wife worse than me, lol. a few weeks ago they said we had I think 2 days of sunshine since feb 20-something, and before that it was like 2 more since October. We we grabbed a cheap hotel on the strip (TI) and got some much needed UV therapy and a sunburn (LOL). I realized while we were down there that last year we had so much sun by april the energy levels were high and we were making serious gym progress already. we have amazing long days in puget sound. not dark till after 9pm this time of year EXCEPT.... with the massive constant cloud cover it's the weirdest lighting...

We got back home yesterday around 3:30 and immediately got on it. I built her new treadmill and got that programmed up for her while she started on our food prep for the week. here....we goooo.......

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
to put it in perspective by this time last year we had already had a half dozen picnics down on the boat and two or three good cruises. this year we haven't had a weekend yet that was dry and calm enough to get the boat out other than some test and tuning on the motor (me and the mechanic) mid week.... so it's been just a weird spring. by the first week of both May and June we had passed both months average rainfall. lol

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
to put it in perspective by this time last year we had already had a half dozen picnics down on the boat and two or three good cruises. this year we haven't had a weekend yet that was dry and calm enough to get the boat out other than some test and tuning on the motor (me and the mechanic) mid week.... so it's been just a weird spring. by the first week of both May and June we had passed both months average rainfall. lol
Super hot this weekend. Think summer is finally here, for like 3 days and back to the 70's. Been a really weird weather this year in the PNW.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Super hot this weekend. Think summer is finally here, for like 3 days and back to the 70's. Been a really weird weather this year in the PNW.
This weekend was awesome! I hope the forecast is wrong about the 4th of July weekend.... we are supposed to head out Sunday morning by boat to raft up with some friends for 2 nights in Puget sound... need some decent weather for that lol.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I love that I have a long log to look back on so I can see what I was doing when I had PRs that worked, and what I was doing when I was cutting that worked. I can see that my cutting routine over the years that always worked was

1 main lift
+ 5-6 accessories
+ 30min+ of cardio (or 300cals on some form of cardio... while I don't take that kcal measurement as 100% accurate it sets a target )

I haven't been logging my stuff since my lifting isn't linear but I should to help future me.

Monday 6/20/2022
squats
10 x 95
10 x 135
5 x 175
5 x 205
1 x 225

front squats
3 x 10

leg extensions
3 x 10

leg curls
3 x 10

db curls
4 x 10

db RDLs
3 x 10

cardio
300 cals LISS treadmill

weight

about the heaviest I have logged in probably almost 10 years lol. this was the day after we got home from vegas.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Tuesday 6/21/2022

bench
95 x 10
135 x 5
175 x 5
205 x 5
230 x 3
245 x 1

3 x 10 x 135

dips
3 x 12

db curls
3 x 10

bb curls
3 x 10

db bench
4 x 10

lateral raises + forward raises
3 x 10-12

cardio
40 min LISS / treadmill

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Thursday 6/23/2022
deadlifts
10 x 135
5 x 185
5 x 225
5 x 275
1 x 315

RDL
3 x 10

bb bent over row
3 x 10

db curls
3 x 10

db bent over row
3 x 10

cardio
300 cals / LISS / Treadmill

weight

notes
going the right direction, weighing in at 188 on a monday makes me think it will be 186 by Friday probably.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Don't turn into a fatty like me lol
haha if nothing else I've watched you over the past 10+ years always be able to choose between BB and power lifting so I know I can fix it !

the first week of cutting is always the hardest......

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
lateral shoulder raises
3 x 10

forward raises
3 x 10

db bicep curls
3 x 10

bench
10 x 135
5 x 175
5 x 205
5 x 225

narrow grip
10 x 185
10 x 155
15 x 135

bent over barbell rows
3 x 10 x 155

dips
3 x 10

liss
22 min /treadmill

weight

notes
opted to try doing some of my accessories before the big lift to see how it would effect bench. just wanted to see if it fatigued me too much or warmed me up just right. I'd say it had no effect this session or possibly slightly negative so I'll stick to my normal routine in the future.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Ran in for squats during lunch break

squats
10 x 95
10 x 135
5 x 185
5 x 205
5 x 225
1 x 245

front squats
3 x 5 x 135

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
4th of July weekend, 3 days rafted up with friends for the holiday... followed by another long weekend to the desert fishing with my dad, son, brother, and nephew. boys trip is our annual tradition for 7 years now and the kids really look forward to it. did pretty well too! targeted walleye but caught a handful of trout, perch, and bass along the way:

I've also decided walleye are the most punk rock fish:

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
back in yesterday:

squats
135 x 3 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 5
225 x 1 x 10 sets (1 emotm)

front squats
3 x 10

LISS
40 minutes

weight

notes
last week when I got in for a session I thought I popped a nut so I've been going easy. had a friend get a hernia so I've always been paranoid even though my risk is low. I think the boxer briefs were just a bit tight lol.

I also had a great bench session right before the fishing trip. Topped out at 250 again but with my training being piss poor lately it felt good to know I could still toss up 250 fairly untrained and under 190 bodyweight.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
4th of July weekend, 3 days rafted up with friends for the holiday... followed by another long weekend to the desert fishing with my dad, son, brother, and nephew. boys trip is our annual tradition for 7 years now and the kids really look forward to it. did pretty well too! targeted walleye but caught a handful of trout, perch, and bass along the way:

View attachment 219174

I've also decided walleye are the most punk rock fish:

View attachment 219175
Nice haul! You cook and eat em afterwards?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Finally back at it.

squats
10 x 95
5 x 135
5 x 175
5 x 205
5 x 225
1 x 250

death by squats
185lbs, 7 rounds (EMOTM style)

front squats
3 x 10 x 95lbs

LISS
30+ minutes incline treadmill. knocked out section two on my duolingo spanish lol

weight

Next catch. Tons of fishes!!!
Nice haul! You cook and eat em afterwards?
man it was a great trip. Traditionally we have a big fish fry and cook up fish tacos that night at the campsite. this year the boys and I filleted them all out, portioned the meat and brought it home. this weekend my wife was offering to cook up fish tacos for us with the fish that my boy caught, so that should be fun.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Last week was insanely busy
Tuesday we launched the little boat to visit with friends at the concert (beach side)
Thursday we put together a small fleet of 6 boats to head to the city for dinner
Then Friday we had friends come down and cruise the weekend with us

It was all fun but my wife and I both agreed we are taking this weekend off from social stuff to relax and be more gym focused.

It's incredibly hard to do both.

Ahhhh summer time

Yeah, that's a flamingo on the bow. My wife calls her Farah lol.
Screenshot_2022-07-19-07-22-05-69_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg
IMG_20220715_100430.jpg

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Forgot to log my bench

bench
10 x 95
5 x 135
5 x 175
5 x 205
1 x 225
1 x 235
1 x 250
225 x 4,3,4
10 x 185
15 x 155

lateral raises
3 x 10

forward raises
3 x 10

dips
3 x 10-12

db curls
3 x 10

LISS
30min incline

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
squats
10 x 95
5 x 135
1 x 185
1 x 205
1 x 225
1 x 235
1 x 245
1 x 255
5 x 225

front squats
5 x 135
5 x 145
5 x 155

liss
35min

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Last week was insanely busy
Tuesday we launched the little boat to visit with friends at the concert (beach side)
Thursday we put together a small fleet of 6 boats to head to the city for dinner
Then Friday we had friends come down and cruise the weekend with us

It was all fun but my wife and I both agreed we are taking this weekend off from social stuff to relax and be more gym focused.

It's incredibly hard to do both.

Ahhhh summer time

Yeah, that's a flamingo on the bow. My wife calls her Farah lol.
View attachment 219572View attachment 219573
Straight up living the good life! I hear you on summer time fun vs gym life, but it's all about balancing it out. I guess as the saying goes, work hard, party hard!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Been so busy I keep forgetting to log...

Bench
10 x 95
5 x 135
5 x 185
5 x 205
1 x 225
3 x 235
1 x 245
8 x 205
10 x 185
15 x 135

Overhead press
3 x 10 x 95
Just cause it's been a while

LISS
30 min incline

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Walked in to do deads tonight and found this. It will be awesome to have Oly! But... Zero barbells tonight so running straight accessory work
IMG20220728150443.jpg

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Finally back on the belted stuff. 275# tonight. On the brink of almost being semi serious again. Right before I travel on Saturday for 8 days
IMG20220801153903.jpg

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Squats
95 x 10
135 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 3
225 x 1
245 x 1
265 x 1
275 x 1
235 x 5

Front squats
95 x 10s

Power cleans
3 x 10

One set of power snatch

LISS
10min

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Bench
95 x 10
135 x 5
175 x 5
205 x 5
225 x 3
240 x 2
250 x 1
185 x 15
130 x 20

21s
3 sets

Dips
3 x 12

LISS
20 min

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Just got back from a ten day boating trip so working back into it today

Squats
95 x 10
135 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 1
225 x 1
245 x 3
225 x 3
185 x 6

Deads
135 x 10
225 x 5
275 x 5

Power cleans
135 x 3 x 10

LISS
20min incline

weight

IMG20220815125612.jpg

Last edited:
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Nice pic. Busy summer for you!!
crazy busy lol. since it took so long for the rain to stop up here it felt like summer went into fast forward at the beginning of August lol.

bench
135 x 10
175 x 5
205 x 5
225 x 5

liss
20 min

weight

notes
had no time, had to get home before dark to do some boat chores and get it ready for a labor day cruise coming up. But happy to have knocked out a 5 at 225. that's always a good foundational weight for me to start at when building. Nutrition of course is on point while I'm struggling to lift lol.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
That is true. Weather was weird this year, early summer. Seemed like it was early July before it started to get nice on a daily basis. Not going to lie though looking forward to the darker nights. Trying to go to bed at 730ish at night this time of year sucks. Black out curtains next summer.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
That is true. Weather was weird this year, early summer. Seemed like it was early July before it started to get nice on a daily basis. Not going to lie though looking forward to the darker nights. Trying to go to bed at 730ish at night this time of year sucks. Black out curtains next summer.
yeah it was after the 4th of July before the rain stopped up here... major delay of game for summer! the days are definitely getting shorter. I get up at 4:30am ish and it's been really hard the last couple weeks since it's not getting light out now until 6:30 or later....

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Been staying on damage control until we get through labor day weekend. We are hosting 16 boats for an event................... not sure if I'm looking forward to that or not.

Monday got in bench, DB bench, tri extensions, dips, flies, curls etc.
Tuesday was squats and accessories as per usual, both days added LISS
although I have been throwing in some 1/4 miles sprints as well. I want to improve my wind capacity back to my former levels.

Golf game is going strong though lol.
My wife says we are hitting our routines hard Tuesday after labor day..................
Makes it easier when both of us are on the same page. less commitments pulling us away from the gym.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
We had a great four day cruise over the holiday, and today begins the clean up. No alcohol, nutrition on point, regular training. I have no interruptions until I head to Guadalajara for 2 days in a few weeks but even that is a mild speed bump.
IMG_20220905_083729.jpg

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Squats
95 x 10
135 x 5
185 x 3
205 x 1
235 x 1
250 x 3
225 x 3
185 x 10

Squat cleans
3 x 10 x 95
Mostly for some explosiveness, conditioning, starting over.

RDLs
3 x 10

LISS
30 min with some HIIT added.

weight

Finally got a "real" pre-workout for the first time in months. It's just the C4 ripped stuff but energy level is higher than usual in here.

Last edited:
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Bench
95 x 10
135 x 5
175 x 3
205 x 1
225 x 1
240 x 1
250 x 1
225 x 3
185 x 12
135 x 16

Incline bench
3 x 10

Db curls
3 x 10

Power Snatch
3 x 10 x 95

Dips
3 x 10
Gonna have to start packing my dip belt again

LISS + some sprint intervals
30 min

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Tell me I'm out of shape without telling me I'm out of shape....

Power cleans
95 x 10
135 x 5
155 x 3
175 x 3
185 x 3
205 x 3
225 x 2

Deads
225 x 3
275 x 3
300 x 3
315 x 3
350 x 3

Power clean and press
135 x 3 x 5

RDLs
135 x 3 x 10

LISS + HIIT
30 min

Actually that went a lot better than I expected. I've only had one three day week at the gym since June. Fingers crossed I can build the momentum again.

The oly lifting this week is basically for a few reasons.

It's harder from a conditioning standpoint so build that capacity.

Explosiveness

Mobility. Lots more in a clean and jerk and snatch vs squat and pull.

It's fun.