4 x 10

machine flies
3 x 10

ss with cable tri push downs
3 x 10

machine incline press
3 x 10

weight

Good to see you back! And glad you had a good trip — sounds fun!

Looks like we both need to train moar, eat less, lol! I got up to 190 lbs with creatine a week or so ago. Trying to get back to 180. Enjoying the extra weight-induced strength though!

Time to motivate each other to step up! Would like to get my bench up to 300 lbs by sometime this summer. You in? I’m benching 270-275 lbs on the multi-grip bar right now, so I don’t think I’m too far.

What are your short-term goals?
short term goals? well weight is up 2-3lbs from pre-vacation, lol. I'd love to be lazy, go straight BB style, accept age and genetics and just build a lean, appealing composition before summer. January was very difficult for me, I thought I'd have a great 6 week cut but between winter storms and work my gym time was pathetic. This week I'm sorta in 'ease' back into it mode as I find direction and get the body used to moving again.

sitting on the machine looking at my legs in between sets of flies I could already see the atrophy in my quads. I need to find the alpha male in me again that stops at nothing to move heavy weight...

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
db bench
4 x 10

db curls
4 x 10

ss with standing bent over db rows
4 x 10

machine flies
3 x 10

ss with cable tri push downs
3 x 10

machine incline press
3 x 10

weight

short term goals? well weight is up 2-3lbs from pre-vacation, lol. I'd love to be lazy, go straight BB style, accept age and genetics and just build a lean, appealing composition before summer. January was very difficult for me, I thought I'd have a great 6 week cut but between winter storms and work my gym time was pathetic. This week I'm sorta in 'ease' back into it mode as I find direction and get the body used to moving again.

sitting on the machine looking at my legs in between sets of flies I could already see the atrophy in my quads. I need to find the alpha male in me again that stops at nothing to move heavy weight...
You don’t even have to lift heavy for you; you just need to train hard if you want to force adaptation. Even if you just want to build some muscle and stay lean, that’s going to take some discipline in the kitchen and to consistently show up and put some quality work in.

It’s not all or nothing brutality, but it will always be consistent work to make it happen.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
conditioning
10 minutes of 1 on 1 off sprints
10 minutes of 30 seconds on 30 seconds off sprints
10 minutes LISS

weight

You don’t even have to lift heavy for you; you just need to train hard if you want to force adaptation. Even if you just want to build some muscle and stay lean, that’s going to take some discipline in the kitchen and to consistently show up and put some quality work in.

It’s not all or nothing brutality, but it will always be consistent work to make it happen.
for sure, the kitchen I've always felt is 80%.
As the days get longer up here in the PNW my energy levels increase a lot. I'm pretty pumped for the next 6 months to be honest. Even this morning at 5:30am headed into work I could start to see the crest of daylight over the mountains... spring is coming... my favorite time of year (next to summer)

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
adductor would not loosen up last night so instead of risking damage or giving up I went with a very light weight 3x10 to keep moving:

back squats
3 x 10

RDL's
3 x 10

Sumos
3 x 10

in the past, sumos have been good recovery for sore adductors for me

Conditioning
25 minutes walk/jog intervals on air runner

notes
last week had to visit my condo in Tacoma Weds/Thurs/Fri/Sat/Sun to get it prepared to sell asap. This week I don't believe I have anything like that keeping me out of the gym.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Back at it! Do some foam rolling on those adductors daily til they loosen up. Gets some blood in there.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I'm sorta shocked out out of shape, weak, and sore I am lol. I guess I've been slacking worse than I thought. just gotta rebuild the routine and schedule...

overhead press
10 x 65
10 x 95
3 x 10 x 115

machine overhead press
3 x 10

db press
3 x 10

db curls
3 x 10

conditioning
25 mins/225cals on air runner

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
We’re going to have to come up with some kind of contest, me thinks. At least you’re getting in there and doing some work!

Last edited:
Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
bench
10 x 95
10 x 135
5 x 175
3 x 5 x 205
10 x 155
15 x 135

ss db curls
3 x 10

barbell rows
3 x 10 x 135

ss with dips
3 x 10

lateral shoulder raises
3 x 10

ss with forward raises
3 x 10

db bench
3 x 10

jacobs ladder
8min / 100 cals

air runner
25min/ 125 cals

weight

We’re going to have to come up with some kind of contest, me thinks. At least you’re getting in there and doing some work!
It's been a weird go lately. between work/commute/life/selling a property time has been intermittent but monday and tuesday has been consistent lol. Going to have to really work harder on the mon/tues/thurs/fri stuff though cause our city just closed a major road that's causing an 8-10 mile detour on the way to the gym/office... ha.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I feel you. I’m having a hard time getting a 3rd session in during the work week, rather pathetic.

Are you still getting back into your grove? Looks like you fell out of your 531 regimen. I’m still going, except for squats. Bench is nipping at my heels now that I’m using the angled multi-grip bar instead of a regular barbell. I’m gonna have to make a push in the next couple months.

Anyway, hope you get your footing squared bc I know you enjoy it when in the zone.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
deads
10 x 135
10 x 185
10 x 225
5 x 275
5 x 300

RDL's
3 x 10 x 185

hang power cleans
3 x 5 x 135

hammer db curls
3 x 10

jacobs ladder
100 cals/8minutes

air runner
120 cals/25minutes

weight

I feel you. I’m having a hard time getting a 3rd session in during the work week, rather pathetic.

Are you still getting back into your grove? Looks like you fell out of your 531 regimen. I’m still going, except for squats. Bench is nipping at my heels now that I’m using the angled multi-grip bar instead of a regular barbell. I’m gonna have to make a push in the next couple months.

Anyway, hope you get your footing squared bc I know you enjoy it when in the zone.
I'll know for sure tomorrow if I make it for a 3rd session this week for the first time in like a month lol. starting to set some baselines though at least.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
abbreviated workout in between some real estate duties but, got it in.

bench
10 x 95
10 x 135
5 x 160
5 x 185
3 x 5 x 210
10 x 155

conditioning
25 minutes mix jacobs ladder/treadmill.

notes
I'm enjoying the jacobs ladder as a good mix to get the heart rate moving. although the treadmill has been easy to zone out on as I practice spanish on duolingo, lol.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Got in for a little weekend work.

power cleans
10 x 95
10 x 135
5 x 175
5 x 200

deads
3 x 10 x 225

6 deads + 4 Power Cleans + 2 push press
emotm @ 135lbs

6 rounds

conditioning
25mins LISS

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yeah, powerful cleans man.

Are you programming or just going ad hoc?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
thanks guys
no programming really at the moment, just damage control, chasing heavy 3s and 5s to try to maintain some level of strength until I can get consistency back.
went down with a bad head cold yesterday, feeling better today but can't tell if I'll be healthy enough by Thursday for a lift or not.
It will be good when I get this real estate transaction done, should free me up considerably lol.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
thanks guys
no programming really at the moment, just damage control, chasing heavy 3s and 5s to try to maintain some level of strength until I can get consistency back.
went down with a bad head cold yesterday, feeling better today but can't tell if I'll be healthy enough by Thursday for a lift or not.
It will be good when I get this real estate transaction done, should free me up considerably lol.
Can relate to the strain of that! Hang in there and get well, buddy! The iron will be there when you’re ready for it!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Can relate to the strain of that! Hang in there and get well, buddy! The iron will be there when you’re ready for it!
you delete all those duplicates? LOL I saw that...

Maybe I should go back to using the app so I get notifications better. bouncing around to everyones threads is getting me wanting to chase some bigger numbers again.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
you delete all those duplicates? LOL I saw that...

Maybe I should go back to using the app so I get notifications better. bouncing around to everyones threads is getting me wanting to chase some bigger numbers again.
Don’t know what you’re talking about, lol.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Don’t know what you’re talking about, lol.
I think you're becoming the AM ringleader, your resurfacing seems to have helped me re-motivate a lot.

Layne has a repetitive post he puts up on Facebook, somewhere along the lines of "if you're expecting different results but not changing your approach"........ seems like a duh-ism but it's still something that makes me ponder.

I get up at 4:45am, get to work at 6am. leave around 3-4pm depending on the day. Get to my gym between 4:30-6pm depending on the day. home often after 7pm. Dinner and bed.... that wears on you. so I was really struggling to figure out where I could find the "change" in my routine.

Tried xfit back in Dec/Jan but it was impossible to make a class schedule work. I'm either late, or early, or barely on time and changing in the car. so for how much that costs, not gonna work.

however we just dropped mask mandates in WA and things are acting pretty normal. My old box gym near my office died in the pandemic, but a new one popped up. It's an LA fitness, and while I normally hate those types of globogyms, I figured I'd check it out... free 3 day trial anyways.

There's like 50 cardio machines (LOL), a pool, a **** load of cable machines and like 1 squat rack (seriously). the barbells are horrible and the weights are those crappy hex ones. No oly lifting here.

BUT, it's literally like 4 minutes from my office so maybe this is the positive change I need to grab some traction. I can be at the gym within 4-5 minutes of leaving work, then embark on my commute, which is way less miserable when I'm going straight home vs driving 90 minutes and THEN starting at the gym.

Day 1 was yesterday so we'll see.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
OK reloaded my 531 app and went with some super conservative numbers to 'guess' and get the ball rolling. I entered:

Bench at 250
Press at 175
Squats at 250 (yea probably too low but we'll see)
Deads at 365.

Yesterday was day 1:

bench
5 x 95
5 x 115
5 x 135
5 x 145
5 x 175
10 x 190

bbb
5 x 10 x 115

dips
5 x 10

db curls
10 x 30
10 x 37.5
3 x 10 x 40

machine flies
3 x 10

conditioning
30minutes LISS

weight

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
On of the big things for me was always finding a gym as close to possible to home. It doesn't have to be perfect but the time I save driving to and from the gym I could have already got my workout in. Hex plates suck, special with deads but something have to do with what you got.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
On of the big things for me was always finding a gym as close to possible to home. It doesn't have to be perfect but the time I save driving to and from the gym I could have already got my workout in. Hex plates suck, special with deads but something have to do with what you got.
And they don’t matter with rackpulls, and it’s not his barbell that’s getting buffalo’d

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I think you're becoming the AM ringleader, your resurfacing seems to have helped me re-motivate a lot.

Layne has a repetitive post he puts up on Facebook, somewhere along the lines of "if you're expecting different results but not changing your approach"........ seems like a duh-ism but it's still something that makes me ponder.

I get up at 4:45am, get to work at 6am. leave around 3-4pm depending on the day. Get to my gym between 4:30-6pm depending on the day. home often after 7pm. Dinner and bed.... that wears on you. so I was really struggling to figure out where I could find the "change" in my routine.

Tried xfit back in Dec/Jan but it was impossible to make a class schedule work. I'm either late, or early, or barely on time and changing in the car. so for how much that costs, not gonna work.

however we just dropped mask mandates in WA and things are acting pretty normal. My old box gym near my office died in the pandemic, but a new one popped up. It's an LA fitness, and while I normally hate those types of globogyms, I figured I'd check it out... free 3 day trial anyways.

There's like 50 cardio machines (LOL), a pool, a **** load of cable machines and like 1 squat rack (seriously). the barbells are horrible and the weights are those crappy hex ones. No oly lifting here.

BUT, it's literally like 4 minutes from my office so maybe this is the positive change I need to grab some traction. I can be at the gym within 4-5 minutes of leaving work, then embark on my commute, which is way less miserable when I'm going straight home vs driving 90 minutes and THEN starting at the gym.

Day 1 was yesterday so we'll see.
The best gym is the one you will make it to the most regularly. This sounds like a winner! Do it!

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
OK reloaded my 531 app and went with some super conservative numbers to 'guess' and get the ball rolling. I entered:

Bench at 250
Press at 175
Squats at 250 (yea probably too low but we'll see)
Deads at 365.

Yesterday was day 1:

bench
5 x 95
5 x 115
5 x 135
5 x 145
5 x 175
10 x 190

bbb
5 x 10 x 115

dips
5 x 10

db curls
10 x 30
10 x 37.5
3 x 10 x 40

machine flies
3 x 10

conditioning
30minutes LISS

weight
Those numbers look really conservative to me. I wanna see some big AMRAP sets!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I did get into the weird squat rack we have at this new gym yesterday. It was an abbreviated workout but I did it anyways because even the shitty workouts are rebuilding.

squats
5 x 95
5 x 125
5 x 145
5 x 165
5 x 185
6 x 210

2 x 10 x 125

conditioning
20 min LISS

notes
forgot knee sleeves and only had 40 minutes. that inner adductor area was struggling so I went with a narrow stance. I'm going to work through this and I'm confident the adductor will heal. Legs were shot. With sleeves I'm sure I probably had 10 reps in me but I said do the work for now, follow the program, go apeshit next time.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Don’t forget to hit the adductor machine when you go, super super light to flush blood specifically in that muscle to heal it. You could do this every time you go.

Flushers, not building work.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
OK got back from Spring Training baseball in AZ yesterday and hit the gym. I think that's the last of my big life distractions for a while.

press
5 x 65
5 x 85
5x 95
5 x 100
5 x 120
7 x 135

bbb
5 x 10 x 85

db lateral raises
3 x 10 x 30s

conditioning
30mins LISS/treadmill

Don’t forget to hit the adductor machine when you go, super super light to flush blood specifically in that muscle to heal it. You could do this every time you go.

Flushers, not building work.
Right on. I'm pulling tonight, so that would be a good accessory for sure.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
deads
5 x 135
5 x 165
3 x 195
5 x 215
5 x 245
10 x 280

bbb
5 x 10 x 165

barbell rows
3 x 10 x 135

db curls
3 sets

adductor machine
3 x 20

conditioning
25min LISS

weight

notes
rebuilding the habit.
insanely out of shape after a lazy few months to start 2022.
Going to have to throw in some additional HIIT to rebuild capacity.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Keep reworking the foundation, results will follow.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
bench
5 x 95
5 x 115
3 x 135
3 x 160
3 x 180
8 x 205

bbb
5 x 10 x 115lbs

hammer curls
3 x 10 x 40lbs

db tri extensions
3 x 10 x 25lbs

bb curl
3 x 10

dips
4 x 10

conditioning
LISS 25mins

weight

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Dude, those guns are still strong!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
thanks man. I keep thinking about @dapack hitting 200 reps in a session and I'm nowhere near that. Its hard to fit in that many sets to be honest but I'm sorta chasing it. I feel like a solid DB curl at 40lbs is a good place to be and while the strength is there, I'm sure my arms are down 1" so I gotta a lot work to do.

But my capacity is slowly rebuilding. definitely felt like Tuesdays session was a turning point in work capacity.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
thanks man. I keep thinking about @dapack hitting 200 reps in a session and I'm nowhere near that. Its hard to fit in that many sets to be honest but I'm sorta chasing it. I feel like a solid DB curl at 40lbs is a good place to be and while the strength is there, I'm sure my arms are down 1" so I gotta a lot work to do.

But my capacity is slowly rebuilding. definitely felt like Tuesdays session was a turning point in work capacity.
My arms are over 16” and I can’t do sets of 10 with 40s unless I’m throwing them. But I don’t really train biceps.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
squats
5 x 100
5 x 125
3 x 150
3 x 175
3 x 200
5 x 225
15 x 135

LISS
30min incline

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

My key is I do it on deads/ squats days and super set them in why taking a little rest. No way would I finish a workout and do biceps. My mind still thinks biceps are worthless for powerlifting LOL

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
My key is I do it on deads/ squats days and super set them in why taking a little rest. No way would I finish a workout and do biceps. My mind still thinks biceps are worthless for powerlifting LOL
That makes a lot of sense to me. I remember a theory not too long ago I read in regards to the big lifts (deads/squats) creating more growth hormone during recovery, so they were in theory optimal days for targeting smaller muscle groups as well. And I personally... do not want to deadlift with fatigued biceps so I always try to add them on my deadlifts day instead of the day before...

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
saturday:
press

5 x 65
5 x 80
3 x 95
3 x 110
3 x 125
7 x 140

bbb
5 x 10 x 95

db front raise
3 x 10 x 20

db lateral raises
3 x 10 x 25

cable push downs
3 x 20

conditioning
25mins LISS

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
sunday

deads

5 x 135
5 x 165
3 x 195
3 x 230
3 x 265
11 x 295

bbb
5 x 10 x 185

db rows
3 x 10 x 50s

bb rows
3 x 10 x 135

db curls
3 x 10

conditioning
30 mins LISS

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
That makes a lot of sense to me. I remember a theory not too long ago I read in regards to the big lifts (deads/squats) creating more growth hormone during recovery, so they were in theory optimal days for targeting smaller muscle groups as well. And I personally... do not want to deadlift with fatigued biceps so I always try to add them on my deadlifts day instead of the day before...
Advantage of hook grip. Biceps are never in play that much.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
bench
5 x 95
5 x 115
3 x 135
5 x 170
3 x 190
7 x 215

bbb
5 x 10 x 115

dips
10 x bw
3 x 10 x bw+25lbs

liss
20 minutes

notes
abbreviated, but improving. been a while since I added weight to the dips... going in the right direction.

weight

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Everything is looking better here! Nice DLs and bench!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
squats
5 x 100
5 x 125
3 x 150
5 x 185
3 x 210
5 x 235

bbb
3 x 10 x 135 squats
3 x 10 x 185 deadlifts

notes
adductor feeling much better, I'd say it's at 90% so hoping by next squat session I can go ham. bumped up the prescribed BBB squat weight and threw in deads instead of a 5x10 on the squats because deads are more important to me anyways.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Press
5 x 65
5 x 80
3 x 95
5 x 120
3 x 135
5 x 150

bbb
5 x 10 x 95

ss with barbell curls
5 x 10 x 65

dips
2 x 10 x bw
3 x 10 x +25lbs

ss with more barbell curls
5 x 10 x 65

conditioning
20min liss

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
deads
6 x 135
5 x 165
3 x 195
5 x 245
3 x 280
10 x 310

bbb
5 x 10 x 185

conditioning
30 Min LISS

notes
That wraps up cycle 1 of jumping back into things. based on 531 calculations

Started with --->>> Ended with
Deads 365 --->>> 413
Bench 250 --->>> 265
Squats 275 --->>> 274
Press 175 --->>> 175

mixed bag. squats started with a sore adductor, press I'm a little surprised struggled. deads and bench seem to be on par and a fine place to start rebuilding from. Honestly if I could never squat again and focus 100% on deads I'd be happy lol.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It’s okay to take a little time off squats if you’re trying to heal things up. If you continue to pull a lot, maybe do some GMs or whatever other lower work doesn’t bother you, you will be fine.

If you are using your legs to lift heavy, they damn sure won’t get weaker. There may be a few weeks of relearning the movement when you come back but it will be very fast.