Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think my wife has a deal through her insurance that she could get access to a handful of different places for one fee. She uses the PF for tanning sometimes, and cardio machines when in a cut since it’s closer than other places.

I just signed up for "Silver Sneakers" today, so my Black Card will only be $10 a month. I thought Silver Sneakers was only for old folks!! :ROFLMAO:

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Nice PR!

Something that really helped drive my deadlift was doing an AMRAP every 8-9 days, and not squatting heavy concurrently (~70-75% range and not as much volume). This was the 5th Set for powerlifting methodology.

Squat OR Deadlift will be set to 4x2 at 80% training 1RM, followed by 1xAMRAP (stop if form breaks any). The other lift will be kept at technical work of 5x3 at 75% of recent training max. You just add 5lbs a week to each for 5 weeks, then deload.

Then there is other backup assistance work. I realize that might be a little slow for you, but if you put it on a normal 7-day “week” schedule it becomes very aggressive, pulling a heavy deadlift AMRAP weekly.

Anyway, just to give you an idea, it can work very well - BUT, it is tough to recover from, and recovery is when you build, so you have to adjust training accordingly is the point. Protect your back health.
I like this approach a lot, would be a lot of fun for sure. It's very hard for me to commit to deads over squats with my squats being so poor and my deads disproportionately high. I mean with a 405 x 7 today, I know I couldn't squat 305 x 7. (I think I hit 315 x 10 once though). I keep thinking if I make squats my highest priority the deads will come along for the ride. But then it's deadlift day, I'm having fun, and I go for it.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I like this approach a lot, would be a lot of fun for sure. It's very hard for me to commit to deads over squats with my squats being so poor and my deads disproportionately high. I mean with a 405 x 7 today, I know I couldn't squat 305 x 7. (I think I hit 315 x 10 once though). I keep thinking if I make squats my highest priority the deads will come along for the ride. But then it's deadlift day, I'm having fun, and I go for it.
You could definitely build your deads by improving your squats. It may not show too much while doing it, but when you refocus on dead lifts, they will end up over your current levels. Plus, you can still build dead lift doing it less often or lower intensity than squats.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Bench
10 x 95, 115, 135
2 x 175, 195, 215
10 x 225 (9+1 assisted)

SS
3 x 250, 275
12 x 225 (amrap)

CGBP
3 x 10 x 155

DB tri kickbacks
10 x 30, 32.5, 32.5

OHP
3 x 8 x 95

Lateral raises
3 x 10

Notes
Weight

I think 9 x 225 is a PR tie. Told my buddy that even if I hit my limit I wanted to do the last rep fully assisted and get the eccentric. Goal was 8+.

Had such a crazy pump I didn't want to end the workout but also could barely move

Went old school on the ear buds.

Still no elbow veins.
Screenshot_2023-02-02-11-54-37-16_801c3494cc30bc6d615367769f98046d.jpg

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I will say in regards to that 225 set I had yesterday, after the first 4 reps I thought I was going to smash a PR at 10 reps. I have mixed feeling on this and I'll let you guys correct me with advice. Sometimes on a high rep set I dont' worry too much about breathing. Meaning I might pound out 135 x 10 in a single held breath.

that 225 x 10 I hit the first 4 or 5 reps in one breath and they were FAST. on rep 6 I attempted to recapture my breath and tighten up top but I feel like thats where I lost my groove and the rest fell a part. After that I continued to to really work on bar path and breathing for the next sets that followed but I can't stop thinking about how fast and buttery smooth those first 4-5 reps went and how I feel like something in my form could have improved that set overall.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I will say in regards to that 225 set I had yesterday, after the first 4 reps I thought I was going to smash a PR at 10 reps. I have mixed feeling on this and I'll let you guys correct me with advice. Sometimes on a high rep set I dont' worry too much about breathing. Meaning I might pound out 135 x 10 in a single held breath.

that 225 x 10 I hit the first 4 or 5 reps in one breath and they were FAST. on rep 6 I attempted to recapture my breath and tighten up top but I feel like thats where I lost my groove and the rest fell a part. After that I continued to to really work on bar path and breathing for the next sets that followed but I can't stop thinking about how fast and buttery smooth those first 4-5 reps went and how I feel like something in my form could have improved that set overall.
There is a reason you hold your breath from before the handoff until it’s being re-racked on a max benchpress. You will never produce the same tightness & intra-abdominal pressure for power transfer trying to set it once under load - what you experienced is normal. Not for some bro doing it wrong anyway, but if you are setting up optimally, you will lose it some if you have to dump your air. Benching over 3-5 reps is generally going to require breathing though, so it is what it is. Biggest thing is to try to maintain your positions.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Since it has worked so far, I opted to have a big cheat dinner with my wife last night on a date. Sliders and chicken strips and fries, followed by a 24hr fast dinner to dinner. Seems like an easy way to enjoy a fat recovery meal without ending up in too much of a surplus. Tonight for dinner and tomorrow for breakfast I'll eat for performance and maintain my current regiment of 2 on, 1 off. (lift sat/sun, take monday off).

Next week will be weird since it will be
mon rest
tues/weds squat/press
thurs rest
fri lift then fly at midnight to mexico.

Right now I am leaning towards Benching heavy on Friday but dropping accessory work and deadlifting right after the bench session since it's my last session for 8 days or more. I'll see how next week feels and decide if I'm attempting 225 x 10 again, or chasing a 1rm to finish the cycle. Deads are the same. I'll either keep it lightish for working sets or if my adrenaline gets the best of me, chase something meaningful. But I don't want to risk an injury hours before a long flight.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Since it has worked so far, I opted to have a big cheat dinner with my wife last night on a date. Sliders and chicken strips and fries, followed by a 24hr fast dinner to dinner. Seems like an easy way to enjoy a fat recovery meal without ending up in too much of a surplus. Tonight for dinner and tomorrow for breakfast I'll eat for performance and maintain my current regiment of 2 on, 1 off. (lift sat/sun, take monday off).

Next week will be weird since it will be
mon rest
tues/weds squat/press
thurs rest
fri lift then fly at midnight to mexico.

Right now I am leaning towards Benching heavy on Friday but dropping accessory work and deadlifting right after the bench session since it's my last session for 8 days or more. I'll see how next week feels and decide if I'm attempting 225 x 10 again, or chasing a 1rm to finish the cycle. Deads are the same. I'll either keep it lightish for working sets or if my adrenaline gets the best of me, chase something meaningful. But I don't want to risk an injury hours before a long flight.
That deadlifting will build more muscle than any amount of accessories otherwise. You should pull after benching that night.

“If you can only do one thing, do it well.” is a mantra I try to focus on in training when limited on time/energy.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I found a gym in Mexico I might hit.

That deadlifting will build more muscle than any amount of accessories otherwise. You should pull after benching that night.

“If you can only do one thing, do it well.” is a mantra I try to focus on in training when limited on time/energy.
I agree and I think pulling after pressing my energy level should still be OK (vs trying to push after a hard pull or squat session).

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
If you guys have any preferred training videos on form for the big 3 lifts I'd love to see them.
I try to do reality checks on myself. I think there are maybe a couple things I could improve on bench still that might help eek out a few lbs. I'm going to try to get my buddy to record a moderate weight lift (maybe 250lbs or something ) next week so I can see my bar path and a couple other items better.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If you guys have any preferred training videos on form for the big 3 lifts I'd love to see them.
I try to do reality checks on myself. I think there are maybe a couple things I could improve on bench still that might help eek out a few lbs. I'm going to try to get my buddy to record a moderate weight lift (maybe 250lbs or something ) next week so I can see my bar path and a couple other items better.

You would probably do better having him video a pretty high effort lift, or both as you work up. It's easy to have good bar path and form under moderate load, it is when you get into weights that feel heavy to you that you will see where your form might be breaking down.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
You would probably do better having him video a pretty high effort lift, or both as you work up. It's easy to have good bar path and form under moderate load, it is when you get into weights that feel heavy to you that you will see where your form might be breaking down.
I was thinking something like 250+ ish is safe enough to not need a spotter but getting up there. I usually don't bench more than 260 without spot right now with my known 1rm being 275-280

Mr Green

Awards
To touch on the ped thing, peptides would be a great place to start. Dip your toe in the dark side with easy slin pins without fukking your hpta and they definitely increase recovery. Even just 1-2 ghrp/h shots a day will be noticeable.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Here’s the plan…..

Cancel Mexico vacation. Tell wife after all cancellations are complete. Build home gym. Apologize after home gym is built. Train at home and the wife will get to spend more time with you and zero money spent on memberships and gasoline.

The biggest lesson is build first, apologize after 🤣

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
That almost happened last year.... We booked basically an identical flight. Midnight friday to Isla Mujeres. I got to work friday morning to an email from American Airlines telling me my refund has been complete WTF. soooo I think our flight was like 12:00am Friday... not 12:00 Saturday. we actually remembered our own trip wrong. but they gave me back all our money and the only other flight I could get the same night was like half what I had originally paid (just had a layover in Philly so our travel day was a few hours longer).... I used that refund credit to pay for our flight next week. which I hope we remember correctly this time.... lol

The biggest lesson is build first, apologize after
always better to beg forgiveness than ask permission!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My home gym was my wife's idea when our daughter moved out, I guess that's why we have been married for 33 years !!

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Bench.
10 x 95
5 x 135, 185, 215, 235
3 x 235 (after ss sets)

SS
1 x 255, 275, 295, 300
3 x 265
10 x 230

Pause
3 x 6 x 185

Incline bb
10 x 95
8 x 135
6 x 155
3 x 175
8 x 135

DB tri kickbacks
10 x 25s
10 x 27.5s
10 x 30s

DB curls
10 x 37.5s
10 x 40s
10 x 45s

Machine dips
3 sets

Machine curls
3 sets

Notes
Saw a dude that looked like vanilla ice.
Never SS'd 295 or 300 before
Added 10lbs to the 10 rep set.
I never incline so I'm not even sure where I should be.

Weight
What does SS mean?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Warmup (waiting for rack)
BB RDL
DB RDL
BB front squats
Air squats

Squats
8 x 135, 185
5 x 225, 245, 265
3 x 280
3 x 10 x 225

Good mornings
3 x 8 x 185

RDL
8 x 185, 225, 275

DB rows
10 x 60s, 70s, 80s

Leg curls (single leg)
3 x 10 per leg

Leg ext (single leg)
3 x 10 per leg

Notes

Weight 187
Weight belt fourth hole (the good spot)

Ended up sharing a rack. Younger very strong guy with a 3 x 5 at 335. Sorta threw me out of my head and I skipped the 235 3 x 10 I meant to do instead of those random 5s and 3s.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Warmup
DB laterals, forwards, curls
DB bench 50x15

Bench
10 x 135
6 x 175
4 x 200
3 x 10 x 215

SS
235 x 8,7,7 (didn't want to risk the spot)

CGBP
3 x 8 x 165

Random machines low rep after to teach the boy some stuff.

Notes
Nice session with my boy
He did a great job spotting my 30th rep at 215.
Last 3x10 day was 210 so...progress.

Weight 187.6 today after yesterday's pizza fiasco lol.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Congrats on the PR's!! Dave Tate has some good videos on all three the are called "So you think you can.."Bench/squat/Dead" which every you want.

Wish I could share Kabukis videos that they have for their clients. Honestly the best videos I have ever seen on all three lifts.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Well todays fast has been cancelled on account of a business lunch lol. so I guess it will be 16/8 vs the 24hr planned lol

Congrats on the PR's!! Dave Tate has some good videos on all three the are called "So you think you can.."Bench/squat/Dead" which every you want.

Wish I could share Kabukis videos that they have for their clients. Honestly the best videos I have ever seen on all three lifts.
Thank you Sir! that's a long one. I'll be watching it in segments as I can get it it!

Enjoy training with your son, they grow up so fast !
Dude I remember like it was just last month when he was 6 and we'd walk up to the arcade or do early morning walks across town for a breakfast donut. I treat him way too much like an adult but he's just so big and strong. on my last rep at 215 I said "OK take it" and he reached in there with a perfect spot, just a tiny assistance, got the bar up and secured it safely. He's still learning his own form (really, learning how his own body even moves) but he's 100% ready for the highschool gym and giving high quality spots and working out with the guys. He's my favorite lifting partner now.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It's awesome to lift with your son. When I did it with my boy I enjoyed it more than him unfortunately. He just came to lift with me to spend the extra time with me. When he finally stopped after about 4 months he told me he wasn't into it after the first month but was just coming over because he enjoyed the time with me.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It's awesome to lift with your son. When I did it with my boy I enjoyed it more than him unfortunately. He just came to lift with me to spend the extra time with me. When he finally stopped after about 4 months he told me he wasn't into it after the first month but was just coming over because he enjoyed the time with me.
Thats my biggest fear so yesterday when he told me he just wanted to do upper day and skip leg press I said sure thing. we walked past a bunch of chinese torture machines (hammer strength crunches) and I bet him "I bet you can't do these" lol. reverse psychology is huge. maybe next time I'll just tell him we don't even have time to go to the gym to keep him hungry 😅

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I used to love lifting with my daughter, I think she would have made a heck of a power lifter. The Farm Girl is strong as an Ox !!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thats my biggest fear so yesterday when he told me he just wanted to do upper day and skip leg press I said sure thing. we walked past a bunch of chinese torture machines (hammer strength crunches) and I bet him "I bet you can't do these" lol. reverse psychology is huge. maybe next time I'll just tell him we don't even have time to go to the gym to keep him hungry 😅
Yeah, he got what he wanted out of it, some extra size and it never really went away. He just wasn't into anything but lifting heavy, and i was injured so we didn't push that all the time. I might ask him again once I am focusing in more on PL'ing.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I used to love lifting with my daughter, I think she would have made a heck of a power lifter. The Farm Girl is strong as an Ox !!
Farm girls are tough as nails and grounded!

Yeah, he got what he wanted out of it, some extra size and it never really went away. He just wasn't into anything but lifting heavy, and i was injured so we didn't push that all the time. I might ask him again once I am focusing in more on PL'ing.
yeah... my boy likes to see how heavy he can go... I'm trying to move him towards lower weight/more reps so we can work on form and not end up with injuries before he can even drive lol.

When my boy was craddle sized we'd fall asleep together on the couch watching Futurama, he can still quote every episode... maybe a dad fail there lol. But after we survived the era of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse it's good to be back at an age where we can share mutual interests 😅 My wife is going to be out of town for a weekend next month and we're already planning our boys weekend eats, movies, video games, gym trip and maybe a grand comeback to the RC Car track lol

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

yeah... my boy likes to see how heavy he can go... I'm trying to move him towards lower weight/more reps so we can work on form and not end up with injuries before he can even drive lol.

When my boy was craddle sized we'd fall asleep together on the couch watching Futurama, he can still quote every episode... maybe a dad fail there lol. But after we survived the era of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse it's good to be back at an age where we can share mutual interests 😅 My wife is going to be out of town for a weekend next month and we're already planning our boys weekend eats, movies, video games, gym trip and maybe a grand comeback to the RC Car track lol
Enjoy!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Definitely not a fail on the Futurama stuff. Some people value properness, some people value openness, freedom of expression and humor. I am in the second group. Your boy has an obvious affinity for you and that means you did well in developing a relationship with him. That is a big win!!!

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Though my son is older than yours, 29, when he came home on leave last year from Japan he did the May meet with me. Was an awesome experience and was the best meet ever for that reason. Hoping next time he comes home we can work it out and do another meet together.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

When my boy was craddle sized we'd fall asleep together on the couch watching Futurama, he can still quote every episode... maybe a dad fail there lol. But after we survived the era of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse it's good to be back at an age where we can share mutual interests My wife is going to be out of town for a weekend next month and we're already planning our boys weekend eats, movies, video games, gym trip and maybe a grand comeback to the RC Car track lol
Man I still get Elmo and Daniel tiger songs randomly popping up in my head to this day

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Though my son is older than yours, 29, when he came home on leave last year from Japan he did the May meet with me. Was an awesome experience and was the best meet ever for that reason. Hoping next time he comes home we can work it out and do another meet together.
Never even thought about that, that's an awesome idea!!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
My wife pureed some liver into meatballs that I've mixed into my egg whites and rice for breakfast... I gotta say... I like liver.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My wife pureed some liver into meatballs that I've mixed into my egg whites and rice for breakfast... I gotta say... I like liver.
No thank you!