The Watchmen

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
What do you guys think of the movie the watchmen? I would say, that Dr Manhattan is one ripped dude.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've heard mixed reviews and at completely polar spectrums. Reviews usually aren't so on the other end of the extremes. However, I intend on seeing it.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
While it was not what I expected, I still enjoyed it.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hoping more will chime in ; curious about this film. It seems to have done ok on Rotten Tomatoes; not as high as some others, but decent. How would this compare to Hellboy 2, it seems similar and I enjoyed that.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like it but at 3 hours you have to have a comfortable seat... A little too much dudity for my liking but it was a pretty good movie. It went into a lot of character depth for one particular character but skimmed the surface for the rest but enough to keep things moving. A bit slow in the beginning it picked up throughout.

Lots of fighting
Some nudity including dudity
Sex scenes
Lots of fight scenes
Lots of blood, guts and explosions!

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
watchmen was god awful. it was the worst movie i have ever seen. dr. manhattan was ripped, but it was all CGI, and he needs to put some god dam pants on. arnold was originally asked to play that part but declined. 2hr and 45 mins of nothing. the fighting was exactly like 300...slow motion and **** but this was no where near 300 caliber movie. movie could have been done in an hour and a half..easily. this just isnt my opinion, the people i went with and even the people around me in the theatre were saying how much it sucked. i have never seen a more disappointed audience walk out of a movie before with quotes of "i kind of want my money back" "that was pointless" "that was the worst movie i have ever seen"..save yourself the money, it is a rent it one night and bring it back immediately movie.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Damn, sounds like you lost stock in that movie lol.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
Damn, sounds like you lost stock in that movie lol.

its just disappointing because the comic book was awesome. and having the director from 300 you'd think it would be pretty good...wrong choice joyce

frizzlerock

frizzlerock

Awards
  • Established
im a huge fan of the comic & never thought they could pull a movie off. mainly cus of the stories inside the story. there are some problems with the movie, but i enjoyed it. its diffently not perfect. but i think Snyder did a great job on most of it. the problems i thought it had didnt take away from the movie as a whole to me. hell it coulda been longer, you gotta remember this 2hr 45 min movie is based on a 12 issue comic run, that is so dence you need to read it a few times to get everything.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I like it but at 3 hours you have to have a comfortable seat... A little too much dudity for my liking but it was a pretty good movie. It went into a lot of character depth for one particular character but skimmed the surface for the rest but enough to keep things moving. A bit slow in the beginning it picked up throughout.

Lots of fighting
Some nudity including dudity
Sex scenes
Lots of fight scenes
Lots of blood, guts and explosions!
Can't say I've heard the term dudity before. Filed for future reference :bandit:

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
I enjoyed it for what it was. Expecting too much out of this type of movie will always lead to disappointment. I was entertained and pretty much agree with Jayhawk's overview.

slow-mun

slow-mun

Awards
  • Established
I've been looking forward to this film for a long time. In fact, I have an old thread about it if you guys do a search. Anyhow, I liked the movie for what it was. It wasn't perfect, but it was easily better than anything else that I've seen in the last year. IMHO, Jayhawk's description is dead on.

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
I thought the movie was deep, dark and thought provoking to a point. It was NOT what I expected at all, and I think you really have to pay attention and listen to whats being said in narration and what images and stills and clips flash onto the screen at key points. There are almost what one can only call multiple stories within a story being told at the same time. I also think if you have no knowledge of recent decades of world and US history you will find yourself lost or perhaps not understand alot of the references made and images shown, or understand the conceptualizations of the changes in history nor you will comprehend the facts of the time period in which the story unfolds.

See it with an open mind if you choose too, its no batman or iron man, and your arent going to be all charged and amped up after you see it, its not edge of your seat action, it told a story and did it well in my opinion.

Not my most favorite comic/super hero movie by any means, but something I dont regret seeing.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
I wonder if they will make an animated version of it. It might be better if they did that. Kind of like they did with the avengers. You guys been watching the wolverine animated series? He is my fav super hero after silver surfer.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I saw it tonight. Good but the nearly 3 hrs killed my lower back.

Agree with Roadblock - not my fav. comic book movie but I thought it was worth seeing.

Note - I've not read the book/comic book(s).

jasonschaffin

Awards
  • Established
It was really a great movie. Was I totatlly satisfied? NO! But I feel like they previews totally hyped it up as the greatest movie ever, thats really what I was expecting. Go into it with normal/modest expectations and it is an awesome movie.

frizzlerock

frizzlerock

Awards
  • Established
I wonder if they will make an animated version of it. It might be better if they did that. Kind of like they did with the avengers. You guys been watching the wolverine animated series? He is my fav super hero after silver surfer.
they did, sorta...you can buy the "motion-comic" on dvd & Bluray. it is the origanl comic with limited motion & voice actors & 5 hours long.

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
they did, sorta...you can buy the "motion-comic" on dvd & Bluray. it is the origanl comic with limited motion & voice actors & 5 hours long.
Are you referring to the dark freighter?

FFChris

FFChris

Awards
Looks cool on the previews.. i'm into movies like this..

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
LOL..im gessing that it means!..(dudity)dude nudity?..naked dudes?..
*semi spoiler warning*

Dr Manhatten basically evolves to the point he's godlike and loses touch with his humanity, especially when he begins to think he's accidentally hurting people. He exiles himself and stops wearing clothes. Basically you see the atomic man's control rod!

*end semi-spoiler*

jay21

jay21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
1st this movie seemed to have been filmed just to piss ppl loll that how bad it was.
2nd u only watch this movie if ur on a date and u wanna site with the new girl for a long tme nxt to her :)
3rd i hate it alottt it was horrible made no sense and could easily been edited to 1.5hours
4th imagine watching this crap on backpumps off superdrol......

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just saw it. I liked it. Definitely not meant for children and it gave a whole new meaning to blue balls.

frizzlerock

frizzlerock

Awards
  • Established
Are you referring to the dark freighter?
nope. that comes out in a week or 2 i think. there is a "motion-comic" of Watchmen. it is the original comics with limited motion. you can pick it up at best buy or walyworld...i just read its will not include the black freighter or under the hood stories.

another thing. this coulda been alot worse. Bret Ratner or Ule "f'in" Bole couldve got there hands on it. what nightmare that wouldve been

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Think dudity was coined or made popular around the time that 300 came out :) but it definitely fits this movie! The close up shot of vibrating man-ass was almost too much to watch...then I thought of Mulletsoldier and it was eyes wide open :p

AFOX

Awards
Lots of special effects, but no heart. I thought it went way overboard with the bloody violence. I would give it a C. I could not believe people brought their kids to it. I guess they thought since it was about super heros it would be okay.

bslick69b

bslick69b

Awards
  • Established
Think dudity was coined or made popular around the time that 300 came out :) but it definitely fits this movie! The close up shot of vibrating man-ass was almost too much to watch...then I thought of Mulletsoldier and it was eyes wide open :p
Bwahahahahahahaha!:laugh:

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lots of special effects, but no heart. I thought it went way overboard with the bloody violence. I would give it a C. I could not believe people brought their kids to it. I guess they thought since it was about super hereos it would be okay.
We could not believe some 10 year old girl was there. I mean, how bad a parent do you have to be to NOT check out the movie you're bringing your kids to see???

I thought it was failry accurate to the novel, and the ones that really didn't like it probably would not "get" the novel either. It's not simplistic tripe - so don't expect to go see something that doesn't require thought and reflection.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would like a spin off of rorshach(sp). He did so well playing that character.

I think some of you have it confused, I'm not locked up in here with you... You're locked up in here with meeee!!!!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

I think some of you have it confused, I'm not locked up in here with you... You're locked up in here with meeee!!!!

Yeah, I thought that was a pretty hardcore moment. I want to see a John vs Silver Surfer spin off, hehe.

AFOX

Awards

Did you notice that character was played by Jackie Earle Haley, who was Kelly in The Bad News Bears. One of my all time favorites as a kid.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I didn't recognize the name or face. good movie classic though.

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
I read the graphic novel before seeing the movie, so I could really *get* it. The graphic novel is outstanding, and the movie was good. Don't go into it thinking you're about to see X-Men or Iron Man or something similar to any other superhero movie you've seen.

The Comedian and Rorschach were pitch perfect to what they were in the comic. I would have loved to be in a theater with a clueless parent who brought their kid to the movie...

Etomic

Awards
  • Established
Could have been trimmed an hour and wouldn't have lost much and too much blue dong

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Was a weird movie. Based which looks like the 70's 80's yet they had all this modern technology etc there ride etc. The fighting was good but regardless.

frizzlerock

frizzlerock

Awards
  • Established
found this on Aint It Cool News

AN OPEN LETTER FROM A WATCHMEN SCREENWRITER

So it has been five months since I saw my first rough cut of WATCHMEN, and eight days since the premiere of the film I've been working on since late in the year 2000.
The reviews are out -- Some outstanding, others rankly dismissive, which can be frustrating for the people involved, (though I can only speak for myself,) because I firmly believe that WATCHMEN, the novel, must be read through more than once to even have the faintest grip on it. And I believe the film is the same.
I've seen it twice now, and despite having run the movie in my head thousands of times, my two viewings still don’t' allow me to view the film with the proper distance or objectivity. Is it Apocalypse Now? Is it Blade Runner? Is it Kubrick, or Starship Troopers? I don’t know yet.
All I know is that I had a pretty amazing experience the two times I've seen it. And both viewings produced remarkably different experiences. The point is, I have listened for years, to complaints from true comic book fans, that "not enough movies take the source material seriously." "Too many movies puss out," or "They change great stories, just to be commercial." Well, I f***ing dare you to say any one of those things about this movie.
This is a movie made by fans, for fans. Hundreds of people put in years of their lives to make this movie happen, and every one of them was insanely committed to retaining the integrity of this amazing, epic tale. This is a rare success story, bordering on the impossible, and every studio in town is watching to see if it will work. Hell, most of them own a piece of the movie.
So look, this is a note to the fanboys and fangirls. The true believers. Dedicated for life.
If the film made you think. Or argue with your friends. If it inspired a debate about the nature of man, or vigilante justice, or the horror of Nixon abolishing term limits. If you laughed at Bowie hanging with Adrian at Studio 54, or the Silhouette kissing that nurse.
Please go see the movie again next weekend.
You have to understand, everyone is watching to see how the film will do in its second week. If you care about movies that have a brain, or balls, (and this film's got both, literally), or true adaptations -- And if you're thinking of seeing it again anyway, please go back this weekend, Friday or Saturday night. Demonstrate the power of the fans, because it'll help let the people who pay for these movies know what we'd like to see. Because if it drops off the radar after the first weekend, they will never allow a film like this to be made again.
In the interests of full disclosure, let me also point out that I do not profi t one cent from an increase in box office, although an increase in box office can add to the value of the writers' eventual residual profits from dvd and tv sales.
But I'm not saying it for money. I'm saying it for people like me. I'm saying it for people who love smart, dark entertainment, on a grand, operatic scale. I'm talking to the Snake fans, the Rorschach fans, the people of the Dark Knight.
And hey, if you hated the film, if you think we committed atrocities, or literary mistakes of a massive, cephalopodic nature. If the movie made you a little sick to your stomach, or made you feel bad about your life. If you hated it for whatever reason, that's cool too. I'm not suggesting you risk gastro-intestinal distress just for the sake of risky filmmaking.
But if you haven't seen it yet? Well, I'll just say this...
It may upset you. And it probably will upset you.
And all along, we really meant it to.
Because face it. All this time...You there, with the Smiley-face pin. Admit it.
All this time, you’ve been waiting for a director who was going to hit you in the face with this story. To just crack you in the jaw, and then bend you over the pool table with this story. With its utterly raw view of the darkest sides of human nature, expressed through its masks of action and beauty and twisted good intentions. Like a fry-basket full of hot grease in the face. Like the Comedian on the=2 0Grassy Knoll. I know, I know...
You say you don't like it. You say you've got issues. I get it.
And yet... You'll be thinking about this film, down the road. It'll nag at you. How it was rough and beautiful. How it went where it wanted to go, and you just hung on. How it was thoughtful and hateful and bleak and hilarious. And for Jackie Earle Haley.
Trust me. You'll come back, eventually. Just like Sally.
Might as well make it count for something.

David Hayter

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The point is, I have listened for years, to complaints from true comic book fans, that "not enough movies take the source material seriously." "Too many movies puss out," or "They change great stories, just to be commercial." Well, I f***ing dare you to say any one of those things about this movie.
Fight scenes and the youthfullness of the actors in the movie versus the novel. That was done intentionally to work on commercial success.

frizzlerock

frizzlerock

Awards
  • Established
Was a weird movie. Based which looks like the 70's 80's yet they had all this modern technology etc there ride etc. The fighting was good but regardless.
its still a comic book movie, of course there is "modern technology". it wasnt like they broke out a IPhone.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Without knowing about the comic I thought it was a good film. It was far more interesting and complicated than I anticipated.

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
its still a comic book movie, of course there is "modern technology". it wasnt like they broke out a IPhone.
It's also a completely different america than the real world in the 80's. In the comic electric cars replaced gasoline cars, ect, ect.

It's like in fallout 3 when people complained about the backstory not being accurate to real life, when it wasn't meant to be 100%.

frizzlerock

frizzlerock

Awards
  • Established
It's also a completely different america than the real world in the 80's. In the comic electric cars replaced gasoline cars, ect, ect.

It's like in fallout 3 when people complained about the backstory not being accurate to real life, when it wasn't meant to be 100%.
yep. Fallout 3 great game!!

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
:type:
wife number 6 gave it a 7/10?

Damn mormons.

LOL - I've always said, if you need more than one wife.....you're not doing it right. One wife is enough for any man......believe me!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Aggravated General Chat 12
slow-mun General Chat 11