The OFFICIAL Guns/Firearms/Knives Thread!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looks like they're OOS already...have you ordered from them before? I've heard some real nasty things about them in another forum I'm on. I'd be a little hesitant to purchase from them.

Thanks for the heads up though! I definitely need to get some.
Anytime!

I've ordered tons of stuff over the years and never had any major issues. During the whole "craze" I think they poorly managed upfront with backorders and really screwed themselves. They seem to have fixed it though and not had any similar issues since. I think some people are just impatient as well and don't realize that things happen. There were countless very large gun merchandise etailers that had their sites go down due to unbelievable overload; some sites even voluntarily went down until they caught up.

Either way, they get a thumbs up from me. They typically ship pretty fast and you can't beat the free shipping. They seem to be one of the better vendors right now in receiving stock on a regular basis. Even if you don't own a Glock yet, the mags alone are worth their weight in gold; especially when the shtf.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anytime!

I've ordered tons of stuff over the years and never had any major issues. During the whole "craze" I think they poorly managed upfront with backorders and really screwed themselves. They seem to have fixed it though and not had any similar issues since. I think some people are just impatient as well and don't realize that things happen. There were countless very large gun merchandise etailers that had their sites go down due to unbelievable overload; some sites even voluntarily went down until they caught up.

Either way, they get a thumbs up from me. They typically ship pretty fast and you can't beat the free shipping. They seem to be one of the better vendors right now in receiving stock on a regular basis. Even if you don't own a Glock yet, the mags alone are worth their weight in gold; especially when the shtf.
Then I'll keep my eye on their inventory and give them a shot. :)

I really may have to just suck it up and not make any firearm-related purchases for a couple months. I had to deplete some of my emergency cash recently for some truck repairs and a medical bill. I'm pretty anal with having a set amount in the savings account. I'm also trying to buy as much silver as I can afford to within reason. Add in some other expenditures and there isn't too much to go around.

Additionally, my wife is super frugal; she hardly ever buys anything for herself. I feel a little guilty even though she never brings up my hobbies in a negative way. I'd like to get her something nice. Even just some new things for Summer.

Even as a kid my mother always used to tell me I have expensive taste. I was pretty simple, but I always wanted the best. Cigars, beer, powerlifting, computers and guns are my hobbies...not a single thing is cheap.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if you guys have never shopped this place http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/ their in stock out of stock is accurate, most orders ship same day, and their prices at least on some things are totally crazy, as much as 15-20% under the next cheapest. That troy quad rail on my build above is a 13.8" and was 195, midway sells it for 240

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
So, get this crap...

I got an email from Aim Surplus that they had Wolf 223 in stock ($5.99/bx of 20)...been waiting for this moment forever. Hit my inbox at 9:53pm, and I clicked the link at 9:57pm (yes, I looked). - Much to my displeasure, the site was so disastrously bogged down that I couldn't place my order. By the time things were up and running again, it was out of stock.

I don't understand how so many people were able to wade through that mess.

Fortunately my 223 is not my go-to rifle, and I have a fair supply of that caliber, but man that irked me. Couldn't even navigate the webpage due to the traffic.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
BTW, does anyone here have experience with the HK P30? - I have a Serpa CQC holster for my FNP-40 that is actually made for a P30; decided to look the gun up only to find some exceptional reviews. Looks like quite the nice piece.

Still, I don't know if I'd opt for that over the G17. I keep telling myself I need to get that gun due to its versatility and parts availability.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So, get this crap...

I got an email from Aim Surplus that they had Wolf 223 in stock ($5.99/bx of 20)...been waiting for this moment forever. Hit my inbox at 9:53pm, and I clicked the link at 9:57pm (yes, I looked). - Much to my displeasure, the site was so disastrously bogged down that I couldn't place my order. By the time things were up and running again, it was out of stock.

I don't understand how so many people were able to wade through that mess.

Fortunately my 223 is not my go-to rifle, and I have a fair supply of that caliber, but man that irked me. Couldn't even navigate the webpage due to the traffic.
I had the same thing happen last night and couldn't get through with the .223. They had 7.62x39 earlier in the day that I could have jumped on without any site issues, but I passed. AIM is one of the better places right now; as they get stock in more frequently than the rest it seems; and they're one of the very few that isn't ripping you off either with inflated prices claiming "supply and demand." It's happened a few times recently where the site gets so overloaded that it can't handle the traffic volume and crashes. Yet somehow, people are still ordering...

This whole "ammo shortage" is starting to become annoying. Not only that, it honestly doesn't make any sense either at this point. You have ammunition manufacturers that are working at full capacity (24 hours/day some of them.) and somehow, there's still little to nothing. I honestly believe that many of these retailers have the ammo, but are only releasing it a little at a time to play off the "supply and demand" marketing tactic. I don't believe for a second that this current situation is as bad as it looks from the outside looking in. Not only are the ammo manufacturers working at full capacity in this country, but we import a ****LOAD of ammo as well (Wolf, Golder Tiger, Fiocchi, Prvi Partisan, Tulammo, Sellier and Bellot, etc); that's not even counting the HUGE amount of foreign military surplus we import (primarily 7.62x54R) right now.

Ammo isn't even lasting 10-15 minutes on most sites when it's posted. AIM had over 20,000 rounds (with a buying restriction of 500 rounds/order) of 7.62x39 a few weeks back that was sold out in less than 15 minutes. That is just absolutely ridiculous. I have plenty of stored ammo, but I'm not pulling from it to go target shoot.

-T1

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I had the same thing happen last night and couldn't get through with the .223. They had 7.62x39 earlier in the day that I could have jumped on without any site issues, but I passed. AIM is one of the better places right now; as they get stock in more frequently than the rest it seems; and they're one of the very few that isn't ripping you off either with inflated prices claiming "supply and demand." It's happened a few times recently where the site gets so overloaded that it can't handle the traffic volume and crashes. Yet somehow, people are still ordering...

This whole "ammo shortage" is starting to become annoying. Not only that, it honestly doesn't make any sense either at this point. You have ammunition manufacturers that are working at full capacity (24 hours/day some of them.) and somehow, there's still little to nothing. I honestly believe that many of these retailers have the ammo, but are only releasing it a little at a time to play off the "supply and demand" marketing tactic. I don't believe for a second that this current situation is as bad as it looks from the outside looking in. Not only are the ammo manufacturers working at full capacity in this country, but we import a ****LOAD of ammo as well (Wolf, Golder Tiger, Fiocchi, Prvi Partisan, Tulammo, Sellier and Bellot, etc); that's not even counting the HUGE amount of foreign military surplus we import (primarily 7.62x54R) right now.

Ammo isn't even lasting 10-15 minutes on most sites when it's posted. AIM had over 20,000 rounds (with a buying restriction of 500 rounds/order) of 7.62x39 a few weeks back that was sold out in less than 15 minutes. That is just absolutely ridiculous. I have plenty of stored ammo, but I'm not pulling from it to go target shoot.

-T1
The government is creating an artificial shortage by purchasing billions of rounds. Pretty good way to keep ammo out of the hands of citizen.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The government is creating an artificial shortage by purchasing billions of rounds. Pretty good way to keep ammo out of the hands of citizen.
It was all through a private government contractor though (Evian Group Inc), so it still doesn't add up with all the domestic ammo companies we have here in the states (and foreign) working at near/full capacity right now on a daily basis.

Their ammo build up is obviously gearing up for "something" domestically; that's for sure. Even the mainstream media has finally started reporting/questioning it.....FINALLY!

1.6 Billion Rounds Of Ammo For Homeland Security? It's Time For A National Conversation - Forbes

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah they also need to ask about the armored vehicles being purchased

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
keep an eye out for 308 at that kinda prices for me :D ****s expensive. I'm ready to buy a reloading setup as soon as I have the spare money. By the looks of it, it would pay itself back in maybe 3 trips to the range. I had that same thing happen though at Midway, multiple times. Get the email, click the link inside of the same minute that it shows them sending it, already sold out.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Economic collapse = Riots and Plundering
Economic collapse + guns + politicians with no accountability for their actions = Mobs of Americans throwing a beating on Big Brother

We keep printing money and we collapse the dollar; we stop printing money and we collapse the dollar. - Either way it's coming.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's a shame that the ammo is being bought up and that they're gearing up for war. Funny thing is, I truly believe that when the orders are given (not IF, mind you), those who do the duty will remember the oath, not the orders. They'll be overthrowing themselves. Fingers crossed, anyway...

My main source for ammo is still good ol' Walmart. I don't buy much, don't get to shoot much anyway, and will nab a box whenever I can find it. Still glad that I ditched my 9mm last year for the 45, cause atleast I can find that every now and again. I don't understand why .22 is gone, though. What possible need would the gov't have for .22??? And it looks like even basic shotgun target load is disappearing. Pathetic!!!

Switching gears, but question for you guys. An AR is out of my price range, and I don't really want one anyway. I had thought about getting an AK, but they've all but disappeared now, too. I know a place that had 3 SKS's in stock a little while back, and they're small enough to probably still have them. What's the lowdown on 'em??? Same caliber as the AK, I know it won't be terribly easy to find ammo, but thought it might be worth snagging one if I can. They're Yugo, still covered in goooooo and have the bayonets attached - basically right out of the crate guns. The lady had 3 of 'em for $450 each, which I think is a pretty dang good price, all things considered these days. I wanted to make a "fancy" gun out of it - strip the wood furniture off and go modern with it. Thoughts on SKS?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Switching gears, but question for you guys. An AR is out of my price range, and I don't really want one anyway. I had thought about getting an AK, but they've all but disappeared now, too. I know a place that had 3 SKS's in stock a little while back, and they're small enough to probably still have them. What's the lowdown on 'em??? Same caliber as the AK, I know it won't be terribly easy to find ammo, but thought it might be worth snagging one if I can. They're Yugo, still covered in goooooo and have the bayonets attached - basically right out of the crate guns. The lady had 3 of 'em for $450 each, which I think is a pretty dang good price, all things considered these days. I wanted to make a "fancy" gun out of it - strip the wood furniture off and go modern with it. Thoughts on SKS?
Well, they are the poor man's AK :D for reference sake, last time I bought an SKS I paid $130 and thought it was too much... They are fairly reliable, come apart easily to clean. Best bet if you choose to buy one is to get the manuals, thoroughly disassemble every part that can be disassembled, degrease it all then relube + put back together. I've known people who use them for hunting as its a big enough caliber for a deer, and its a pretty sturdy gun. Christ, I wonder what my MAK90 and the 100 round drums would be worth in your neck of the woods if SKSs are going for that much. I saw the 75 round crappier drums selling for $250 last gun show here. Its insane out there.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Economic collapse + guns + politicians with no accountability for their actions = Mobs of Americans throwing a beating on Big Brother

We keep printing money and we collapse the dollar; we stop printing money and we collapse the dollar. - Either way it's coming.
Exactly. I just shake my head when I hear people say, "That will never happen." They either don't understand economics or they're just a moron in general. Largely, the media has done its job for big brother by trying to keep them in the dark all together, or redirecting their focus. Gun control will always be at the top of their agenda. The know they can't truly get what they want until they disarm the people; which will never happen without a fight.

The more the economy sucks, the more reliant people become on them for survival...which is exactly what they want. We simply cannot keep spending like we do and increasing our national debt at an exponential rate. Our dollar devalues by the day. When the dam finally breaks, all these people that were depending on the government to take care of them like children are going to wish they had prepared for what was clearly written on the wall; because they're gonna be on their own.

Desperate people will lead to riots, looting, pillage, murder, etc. Guns/ammo/food/water will be worth more than anything at that point. I'm always reminded by my old boyscout motto: "Always be prepared."

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards

Exactly. I just shake my head when I hear people say, "That will never happen." They either don't understand economics or they're just a moron in general. Largely, the media has done its job for big brother by trying to keep them in the dark all together, or redirecting their focus. Gun control will always be at the top of their agenda. The know they can't truly get what they want until they disarm the people; which will never happen without a fight.

The more the economy sucks, the more reliant people become on them for survival...which is exactly what they want. We simply cannot keep spending like we do and increasing our national debt at an exponential rate. Our dollar devalues by the day. When the dam finally breaks, all these people that were depending on the government to take care of them like children are going to wish they had prepared for what was clearly written on the wall; because they're gonna be on their own.

Desperate people will lead to riots, looting, pillage, murder, etc. Guns/ammo/food/water will be worth more than anything at that point. I'm always reminded by my old boyscout motto: "Always be prepared."
Exactly why Im glad to be a country boy.
Got a nice track of land w/ lots of good food plots, lots of game, and plenty of water.
working on building a cabin out there now-gonna make a smoke-n-cure shack too
With as much as I like guns, and have ammo and reload supplies stocked and piled, im not relying on them. Unfortunately ammo is a finite luxury that cannot be sustained...no matter how much you have saved.
I am very skilled with a bow-I have 2 Compounds with LOTS of arrows. I also know how, and have made my own recurves and long/flat bows.
Theres a few other aces that I have up my sleeve ;) but you have to be able to adapt and thrive...not just survive.
Survival is terminal, Thriving is winning.

Hank was right...A country boy can survive....

btw...not that it means a whole lot...but Im an Eagle Scout...just sayin...

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
forgetting the last 2 items on the list as irrelevant really... this is far more dangerous to us as a country than North Korea or Iran but we're ignoring it.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
We need to decrease the surplus population anyway. ;)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Exactly why Im glad to be a country boy.
Got a nice track of land w/ lots of good food plots, lots of game, and plenty of water.
working on building a cabin out there now-gonna make a smoke-n-cure shack too
With as much as I like guns, and have ammo and reload supplies stocked and piled, im not relying on them. Unfortunately ammo is a finite luxury that cannot be sustained...no matter how much you have saved.
I am very skilled with a bow-I have 2 Compounds with LOTS of arrows. I also know how, and have made my own recurves and long/flat bows.
Theres a few other aces that I have up my sleeve ;) but you have to be able to adapt and thrive...not just survive.
Survival is terminal, Thriving is winning.

Hank was right...A country boy can survive....

btw...not that it means a whole lot...but Im an Eagle Scout...just sayin...
I wish I had land somewhere like Tennessee (I'm a Gator though and HATE the Vols with a passion!) to build on and eventually make a nice shooting rage/bug out location. I just need to convince the wife...ha!

I never was much into bows until the last year or so. I bought a Barnett "Jackal" crossbow to play around with. I'm looking to get more involved in it this year, though. You're right, ammo will eventually run dry at times, so you always have to have an alternate option to hunt/self defense. I've become pretty good at knife/axe throwing though. :D

If anything, when **** finally does go bad my profession will really pay off. My wife and I are both nurses that have focused careers in emergency medicine. That type of profession/trade will be vital to a group and a huge bartering chip all around.

Given the current direction of our country, I guess this is really what they meant when they said, "The south will rise again."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkotkin/2013/01/31/how-the-south-will-rise-to-power-again/

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
By the by, sharing here from FB... 2 of my "Operator" slings, single-point bungee. One in all black, one in multicam. The fabric covering the bungee is Kryptek Typhon 1000D cordura nylon. All plastic hardware is ITW Nexus, and an HK clip attachment point. If I've done my research right, and I think I have, this is the first "all paracord" single-point bungee sling out there. Nobody is using cord in the adjustable area, and if they are doing it, it isn't adjustable. Granted, it takes a wee bit more to adjust than webbing, but it's sturdy and won't budge once set. Novel? Yes. Practical? Yes. I'm having local SERT (Special Emergency Response Team) guys test it. (They're the same as SWAT.) Only complaint they had was the adjustment part, so I'll be doing a "hybrid" version in nylon webbing very soon for them. So far I've done 4 of them in the past 3 weeks. It takes about 8-10 hours to do one. I'm proud of my creation! :)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
forgetting the last 2 items on the list as irrelevant really... this is far more dangerous to us as a country than North Korea or Iran but we're ignoring it.
Kim Jong Fat has the worst haircut ever...

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
By the by, sharing here from FB... 2 of my "Operator" slings, single-point bungee. One in all black, one in multicam. The fabric covering the bungee is Kryptek Typhon 1000D cordura nylon. All plastic hardware is ITW Nexus, and an HK clip attachment point. If I've done my research right, and I think I have, this is the first "all paracord" single-point bungee sling out there. Nobody is using cord in the adjustable area, and if they are doing it, it isn't adjustable. Granted, it takes a wee bit more to adjust than webbing, but it's sturdy and won't budge once set. Novel? Yes. Practical? Yes. I'm having local SERT (Special Emergency Response Team) guys test it. (They're the same as SWAT.) Only complaint they had was the adjustment part, so I'll be doing a "hybrid" version in nylon webbing very soon for them. So far I've done 4 of them in the past 3 weeks. It takes about 8-10 hours to do one. I'm proud of my creation! :)

Excellent work as always my friend. You've really made some nice stuff, Tim. :)

Also, get an SKS if you can. That price is a little high ($350-400 is what I'd shoot for), but the market is nuts right now. They have been going up in price though over the last 5 years fairly consistently. They are fantastic guns that you can definitely modernize for a minimal cost. I'm doing that to the chinese SKS I own now; the Russian will stay in its stock condition, though. I'm using the Tapco Intrafuse stock that's cut-out for the bayonet with the Tapco 20 round mags. Pics to follow when it's done. They have a longer barrel and will be inherently more accurate than a run-of-the-mill AK-47.

I may need a need a new paracord sling for it. :D

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Excellent work as always my friend. You've really made some nice stuff, Tim. :)

Also, get an SKS if you can. That price is a little high ($350-400 is what I'd shoot for), but the market is nuts right now. They have been going up in price though over the last 5 years fairly consistently. They are fantastic guns that you can definitely modernize for a minimal cost. I'm doing that to the chinese SKS I own now; the Russian will stay in its stock condition, though. I'm using the Tapco Intrafuse stock that's cut-out for the bayonet with the Tapco 20 round mags. Pics to follow when it's done. They have a longer barrel and will be inherently more accurate than a run-of-the-mill AK-47.

I may need a need a new paracord sling for it. :D
I'd probably go with an ATI stock on it if I do one. Toss up though. If I had the money, would I do an SKS with an ATI or the Nagant with the Archangel?!?!? Argh, so many decisions, so little funds!!! lol

Oh, and you definitely need a few slings. Definitely. (so little funds... lol)

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Hey Man SKS are fun guns ( I have two) also Mosin Nagants are a fun bolt action rifle and you can find surplus ammo for cheep. If you want to go the way of an AK look for a Saiga. It’s modern, and easy to trick out plus you can usually pick the caliber you want to fire. If you want to go the rout of an AR find a tactical store that does the 80% complete lowers and build one your self its super easy and it cuts a lot of the cost down. I built mine 5.54 spec for $600. If it was available to buy in a store now it is easy a $1500 retail gun. Now though since the assault rifle bill has been dropped by congress supply should start to even with demand on all levels. If you can wait 6 months you will probably save a bit of money.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

At least tons of people are waking up to the tyrrany

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So I was looking into more Nagant things last night, watched a slew of vids on YT, read a ton of stuff. I'm thinking that I can take a run of the mill Nagant, dump another $500 into it and have a $650 gun that will shoot as good as a $650 gun. BUT.... it'll be a $650 gun that looks like a sniper-ish rifle and shoots ammo that I can readily get at a cost of $100 for 440 rds instead of a more modern caliber at a cost of $25-$30 for 20 rds. :)

John... Here's what I'm thinking...

M91 (~$150)
Timney trigger ($100)
Archangel stock (~$150)
Rock Solid Industries scope mount (~$100)
Bent bolt ($30)
Scope (nothing too fancy)
Bipod

I was watching the vids on the Promag site yesterday where they shoot it in the new stock. Looks like they were getting a bit more than MOA with the patterns using an old sniper nagant. I could handle that. Best part is, aside from drilling/tapping for the scope mount, I can do the rest of it myself!

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
If ya havent bought your nagant or sks yet, might want to look around for one of these:

mossberg mvp 223 w/scope, freefloat barrel, uses AR mags

Attachments

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
If ya havent bought your nagant or sks yet, might want to look around for one of these:mossberg mvp 223 w/scope, freefloat barrel, uses AR mags
Its a very nice rifle.

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
So I was looking into more Nagant things last night, watched a slew of vids on YT, read a ton of stuff. I'm thinking that I can take a run of the mill Nagant, dump another $500 into it and have a $650 gun that will shoot as good as a $650 gun. BUT.... it'll be a $650 gun that looks like a sniper-ish rifle and shoots ammo that I can readily get at a cost of $100 for 440 rds instead of a more modern caliber at a cost of $25-$30 for 20 rds. :)

John... Here's what I'm thinking...

M91 (~$150)
Timney trigger ($100)
Archangel stock (~$150)
Rock Solid Industries scope mount (~$100)
Bent bolt ($30)
Scope (nothing too fancy)
Bipod

I was watching the vids on the Promag site yesterday where they shoot it in the new stock. Looks like they were getting a bit more than MOA with the patterns using an old sniper nagant. I could handle that. Best part is, aside from drilling/tapping for the scope mount, I can do the rest of it myself!

Are you talking about their new Nagant stock they have coming? or the old one?

This is the new one with a mags.

[video=youtube;oapv0tEq1kc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded& v=oapv0tEq1kc[/video]

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
recently acquired for the purpose of getting into competitive shooting gripsSmall.jpg

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
This ginger about getting a new AR built....can't decide what caliber but Im thinking either. .458 socom or 50 beowulf

And that's a sick set up. What are you planning on competing in??

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
3 gun eventually. waiting on that AR308 lower to get out of coating + delivered already. I was looking at the 458 socom for the next one, found the uppers pretty inexpensively. more likely i'll go with 300 aac though

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
because in florida I can get a silencer easy enough and the 300 seems nicer for that. I'm not really sure I like the 458 socom on top of a regular ar15 lower. if it was going on the dpms LR308 lower i'd feel better.

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
because in florida I can get a silencer easy enough and the 300 seems nicer for that. I'm not really sure I like the 458 socom on top of a regular ar15 lower. if it was going on the dpms LR308 lower i'd feel better.
Gotcha. Yeah i shot an AR set up on a regular platform like that. I shot the 458 and the 50 beowulf right after the other and man...they're both soooo sweet and they just make your balls bigger lol. I lived both of then and can't make up my mind.

Florida's gun laws are pretty nice. They're not quite as liberal as ms, la, or tx but there only about a half step behind. I think that's prolly cause you got places like Miami and Orlando that are full of ppl that ha e more money than sense

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I still might just order one of the RRA 458 socom complete uppers, at least its not expensive. buying the ammo + reloading supplies would be though. I guess thats another plus of the 300

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
ok guys...so this next weekend im getting a new pistol...

Im going with an xD or pxStorm of some sorts...shot both of them in 9, .40s&w, and .45...

I cant make up my mind because theyre both soooo sweet and smooth...like there is nothing wrong with any of them in any aspect that i can find for a packing/plinking gun.

obviously i would add after market sights and prolly a trigger job down the road but theyre both pretty sweet out of the box.

soo whats yalls opinions?

What caliber and what model and why??

WPChickDiesel

WPChickDiesel

Awards
Well, you gonna be shooting often? Practice, recreation or keeping it in a box?!?! .40 is gonna have a bit more snap cause of the dense gun powder and this can make for sloppy accuracy and stopping power. Personally, I'd spring the extra cash and bump up to a .45 cal and be more at ease with the specs you otherwise can't get with the .40z

Slappy244

Slappy244

Awards
.40 or .45, if you miss the boom should help take the fight out of 'em. If you don't miss, they won't have much left to fight with.

If it were me, I'd look for something that can run +p ammo (i think th xd can). Cor-bon DPX is my fav. It's environmentally friendly :)

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
Im really leaning toward the .45 cause it seems like .45 ammo is still fairly easy to come by. i have a .40 and love it but its getting a pain to go out and shoot because you cant find target ammo anywhere. Sure i can go out and buy a box of doubletap JHPs, but im not about to go plink with that. lol

accuracy and recoil arent an issue with me. a 9 feels just the same as a .44 mag in my hands. Thats something that ive never struggled with because like alot of yall i started shooting way young (prolly too young by most standards ;) )

I do like the idea of the extra stopping power that a .45 brings to the game though. Also I dont think .45s always have the colateral damage that can be problematic with the 9s and in some cases the .40s.

I dunno...options, options options...

basically im just gonna have to try and figure out what feels best inside my waist band or under my shoulder.

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A well placed shot with a 9mm is just as effective for stopping power IMO.
I just snagged 500 rounds of blasters for mine for under $150 thanks to Gunbot and I've even seen it trickling back into the local stores.
I won't shoot anything that costs more than .75/round lol but that's just me.

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
A well placed shot with a 9mm is just as effective for stopping power IMO.
I just snagged 500 rounds of blasters for mine for under $150 thanks to Gunbot and I've even seen it trickling back into the local stores.
I won't shoot anything that costs more than .75/round lol but that's just me.
I couldnt agree more with that...but the problem is depending on the situation, that extra weight behind a .45 can go a looooong ways in bringing a situation to a hault.

WPChickDiesel

WPChickDiesel

Awards
Im really leaning toward the .45 cause it seems like .45 ammo is still fairly easy to come by. i have a .40 and love it but its getting a pain to go out and shoot because you cant find target ammo anywhere. Sure i can go out and buy a box of doubletap JHPs, but im not about to go plink with that. lol

accuracy and recoil arent an issue with me. a 9 feels just the same as a .44 mag in my hands. Thats something that ive never struggled with because like alot of yall i started shooting way young (prolly too young by most standards ;) )

I do like the idea of the extra stopping power that a .45 brings to the game though. Also I dont think .45s always have the colateral damage that can be problematic with the 9s and in some cases the .40s.

I dunno...options, options options...

basically im just gonna have to try and figure out what feels best inside my waist band or under my shoulder.
See if you could venture to a gun show nearby soon. Tis the season! Well in the south it is! But you can at least get a fell at many sportin' gun ranges up north of the city aimed for sportsman and serious buyers. Kinda like taking a test drive on a Harley...get your feel, but go with your gut as far as getting "the most bang for your buck"! Sounds to me you are leaning steady with the .45

Slappy244

Slappy244

Awards
The G20 10mm is next on my purchase list. The sled patrol in Greenland carries them to protect against polar bears.

Only real drawback is the cost of ammo, but for personal defense, I don't mind giving someone $2-$3 worth of lead.

WarcraftJJS

WarcraftJJS

Awards
  • Established
A real man carries a Desert Eagle. :)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Go with the .45 hands-down. I had a PX4 Storm in .45 that I sold a few months ago to my dad. Great gun, but I needed the money to fund other gun projects. The PX4 is well balanced overall; on the negative, the magazines are pricey. The xD guns are very nice as well, so you really can't go wrong either way.

I like the .40 cal round, but in all honesty, i'm not a huge fan of the "snappy" recoil it offers. If you look at all the ballistic reports reported by the police over the years, there really isn't a huge difference in the stopping power of the 9mm vs. .40 vs. .45. Personally, i don't buy into that data very much. There are just way too many variables that aren't being accounted for. There is no doubt in my mind that the .45 round has a vastly larger impact effect on vital organs and underlying vasculature.

I've been an ER nurse for 12 years and have personally seen the effects of different calibers on the human body more times than I would have liked to. There is no comparison in terms of the damage the .45 cal round demonstrates on vital functions and compensatory mechanisms in my experience.

Now having said that, I really want a .500 Smith and Wesson Magnum. :D

-T1

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
Go with the .45 hands-down. I had a PX4 Storm in .45 that I sold a few months ago to my dad. Great gun, but I needed the money to fund other gun projects. The PX4 is well balanced overall; on the negative, the magazines are pricey. The xD guns are very nice as well, so you really can't go wrong either way.

I like the .40 cal round, but in all honesty, i'm not a huge fan of the "snappy" recoil it offers. If you look at all the ballistic reports reported by the police over the years, there really isn't a huge difference in the stopping power of the 9mm vs. .40 vs. .45. Personally, i don't buy into that data very much. There are just way too many variables that aren't being accounted for. There is no doubt in my mind that the .45 round has a vastly larger impact effect on vital organs and underlying vasculature.

I've been an ER nurse for 12 years and have personally seen the effects of different calibers on the human body more times than I would have liked to. There is no comparison in terms of the damage the .45 cal round demonstrates on vital functions and compensatory mechanisms in my experience.

Now having said that, I really want a .500 Smith and Wesson Magnum. :D

-T1
I think Im going with the xd. 45

Its just too dawn sweeeeeet! !!