The New Product Release Thread

pulsefit

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
VeinNutrition very well thought out post, but it's the unknown with arecoline that scares many including myself. Also is it addictive?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thank you for your feedback and concerns, we're always open to that! If I may, let me please share some insight into why we decided to acreoline in our product versus not, primarily I will go over the arguments against the negatives because the positives are the stimulant effects of energy, euphoria, and well-being, etc.

Let me first start off by saying that, there's no doubt that Betel Nut / Areca Nut is indeed a carcinogenic product. But what's important to note is that you can't backwards extrapolate i.e. saying that if Aceca Nut is carcinogenic and if acreoline is in aceca nut then it also must be carcinogenic. For this type of thing, you can forward extrapolate, for example saying nicotine is a carcinogen, nicotine is in cigarettes, therefore cigarettes are a carcinogen. But you cannot backwards extrapolate, using the cigarette example again, you can't say cigarettes are a carcinogen, cotton is in cigarettes (the filter part), therefore cotton is a carcinogen.

So essentially the first point I'm making is establishing that Betel Nut / Areca Nut is a carcinogen does not conclude that acreoline is a carcinogen. The 3rd link you provided https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4080659/, goes solely over the Betel Nut / Areca Nut and not acreoline. I agree that Betel Nut / Areca Nut is a carcinogen, but your concerns are not about Betel Nut / Areca Nut, it's about the acreoline in our product, so we cannot consider the 3rd linked article as evidence of acreoline being dangerous.

Next, let's address the 1st and 2nd article you linked. The 2nd article is mostly discussing the Betel Nut / Areca Nut and it's extract, again this is not our subject of conversation we need to focus on acreoline specifically. However, on page 105/240, it mentions the exact same study as the 1st article you linked. So for the 1st and 2nd link, it's mainly focusing on the first link study you posted titled "Arecoline tumorigenicity in Swiss strain mice on normal and vitamin B deficient diet.". This study is more valid to our current discussion because they used "arecoline hydrochloride" specifically, not a areca nut extract or parts of an areca nut but specifically arecoline, which is what we're interested in. Now below I have quoted the abstract and bolded the important parts:

"Arecoline, a major alkaloid present in betel nut, was administered daily by gavage feeding to Swiss male and female mice at a dose of 1 mg/day/mouse five times a week, either alone or in combination with KNO3 or KNO3 + lime. Swiss mice of both sexes kept on a vitamin B complex-deficient diet were tested in a similar manner and compared with those receiving a normal diet. In the mice receiving a normal diet it was observed that arecoline induced tumors in 40% of males but failed to produce tumors in any of the females. Arecoline tumorigenicity in females was evident only when they received a vitamin B-deficient diet. Arecoline tumorigenicity was not evident in males when they were treated simultaneously with KNO3 + lime and kept on a normal diet. However, the same treatment administered to male mice kept on a vitamin B complex-deficient diet induced tumors in 39%."

Ok now let's break this down into the pieces that are relevant.

1. 1mg/day for 5 days. The average weight of a 6 week Swiss mouse (what was used in the study) is about 25 grams according to this: http://www.criver.com/files/pdfs/rms/us-model-pricing/rm_rm_c_cfw_swiss_webster.aspx , just look at the graph on the left hand side, look at 6 weeks of age and the average is about 25 grams for a male swiss mouse. At 1mg/day for a 25 gram mouse, the equivalent dose for an average 90kg male (198 lbs) is 291mg based on human equivalent dosing, which is 58x the dosage of one serving of our product. This touches on your second quote talking about dosing, 58x is way more than 10x. I'd imagine taking 58x the dosage of our any of our DMAA products would be fatal. So my first counter-argument is that the study is looking at a dosage that is 58x the dosage of our product.

2. In the mice receiving a normal diet it was observed that arecoline induced tumors in 40% of males but failed to produce tumors in any of the females. Why is that? Why was there 40% tumors in males but none in the females? Then continue reading the abstract and you'll see tumors in females when they had a vitamin B-deficient diet. Arecoline tumorigenicity seen in males when they were" treated simultaneously with KNO3 + lime and kept on a normal diet. However, the same treatment administered to male mice kept on a vitamin B complex-deficient diet induced tumors in 39%." This indicates there must be another factory at play. It's not just the arecoline because you range from 0-40% just based on their diet changing while still taking the acrecoline. You should especially be worried about why there was such a discrepancy? Why did were tumors not induced in females at all? This takes us to point 3:

3. The full article of the 1st link you posted is under a paywall, so the majority of this community doesn't have access to (not because they can't but because they don't want to pay the subscription fee haha). But the second link you gave that talked about that same study has this very important note: " The Working Group noted the lack of information on the time of appearance of specific neoplasms and the inadequate reporting of the pathological findings. The lack of tumours in females was not explained." Now they don't specific who exactly the working group is (whether it's the researchers themselves or a 3rd party), but the in the scientific community generally a Working Group is "a scientific subject-matter experts who collaborate to determine best practices and to develop consensus standards" (https://www.nist.gov/oles/scientific-working-groups). Going on that, this shows that there were some fundamental issues with reporting and data collection of the first study you linked. The Working Group also acknowledges the lack of explanation for lack of tumors in females, which is what is the first thing I noticed in that study. This commentary you won't find on the abstract, it's actually on the bottom of page 105 + to of page 106 of your second link. The inconsistencies of the study and inadequate data monitoring and collecting really puts the whole study in question.

Now, I've tried my best to elaborate and counter the arguments you have made, now it's my turn to show my evidence for my side.

1. Study A: "Evaluation of Arecoline Hydrobromide Toxicity after a 14-Day Repeated Oral Administration in Wistar Rats"
Full Study available here: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0120165

Quick Background: 14 day study, 80 rats divided into four groups: a high-dose group (1000 mg/kg), medium-dose group (200 mg/kg), low-dose group (100mg/kg) and blank control group. Conclusion: " The level of Ah (Arecoline Hydrobromide ) at which no adverse effects were observed was 100 mg/kg/day under the present study conditions.

Now what's really interesting here is that at 100mg/kg translates to 1460mg for a 90kg average male. But the article 1 you linked said that 1g/25g mice = 291mg/90kg humans caused tumors. But here we see a more recent study (April 2015) that has almost 5x the dosage is reported no adverse affects. This along with the Working Group note, really makes you question the results and data obtained from that first 1984 study.

Another interesting note, this 2015 study says in the conclusions: "Decreased body weight and food consumption were identified in all treated rats after 14 days of Ah administration. " This supports our inclusion in our fat burner.

This study is significant to our case because it is a shorter study, our Controlled Burn specifically says on the label to take the product on 2 week cycles. This corresponds exactly with the 14 day length of this 2015 study. The study does note "Based on the results of our analysis and the earlier acute toxicity test, long-term administration of high doses of Ah is likely to be toxic." But what's important to note is that our Controlled Burn product isn't intended to be used long term at high doses. You're not suppose to be taking this everyday, year round, taking 6-8+ capsules at a time. Even then, our product is dosed even a fraction of what these studies are doing. So we've build everything in that reflects the safety shown in this study.

2. Here's a really interesting study, just came out 4 months ago in Nov 2016: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27867011

It's kind of a hard read, but this Sci News article actually helps break it down a bit: http://www.sci-news.com/medicine/arecoline-areca-nuts-anti-cancer-potential-04406.html

This totally flips things upside down, because now we have a very recent study showing that acreoline may actually have anti-cancer properties! But I think the statement at the end really sums up the acreoline debate: “While we did not see obvious toxicity when treating mice with arecoline, more extensive pharmacokinetic and toxicology studies with arecoline and similar compounds are needed.”

In my personal opinion, and I share this with all my reps and athletes so they know, is that most of the ingredients in the supplement industry are grossly understudied. There's just not enough funding, money and motivation to do these extensive studies on thousands and thousands of dietary supplements. And even when done, usually it's for medicinal purposes and not workout/fitness purposes. We can try to extrapolate where we can, but we have to be careful about the claims we're making and the conclusions we're extrapolating. I could go on about how we approach choosing what ingredients to use, but I go into detail about this in our upcoming SuppTalk podcast to be released this Friday 17th (http://www.podcastgarden.com/podcast/supptalk) double s

But end of the day, we are a customer sanctification and customer demand driven company. If the majority of people interested in our product are against acrecoline, we'll take it out of the next production run, no problem. However, I've given my personal counter-points as well as supporting points as to why we have it in there now. I'm very open to feedback and maybe I missed something! I'm a supporter of our products, and I wouldn't push anything I don't believe in (this is why we do not and will not carry pro-hormones). I acknowledge there's lots of studies out there for the Areca nut as well as acreoline, but at this point in time I have not seen the conclusive evidence to show that our dosing amount and regiment will cause any long term negative affects.

Thank you to everyone who has read this entire post. I'm passionate about our brand and will do everything thoroughly to show you why I think we products with great features and benefits.
I appreciate you taking the time to post this detailed response. I don't have the time to respond to everything you wrote, although I'd love to, and I do appreciate that you are educated and informed, and that you are willing to have these conversations. I do agree that we need more research, and preferably some humans studies, on arecoline to come to any definitive conclusions about its safety and efficacy, and we do have some conflicting information, but until we know with a bit more certainty that it's safe, I personally will stay away from it. The way I see it, there are a plethora of other ingredients/stimulants that will provide energy and/or appetite suppression that have human studies and don't carry the potential concerns discussed above. Of course, that's just my opinion, and others may disagree. I do think that a few products that had arecoline ended up removing it, but I'm not entirely sure.

VeinNutrition

VeinNutrition

Board Sponsor
Awards
VeinNutrition very well thought out post, but it's the unknown with arecoline that scares many including myself. Also is it addictive?
Absolutely, I understand your concerns and as mentioned before if a lot of people have a concern with it we can remove it on our next run. There's another aspect of the areca nut that I forgot to mention as well. It seems that most natives that chew on areca nut use it almost like chewing tobacco in that they keep it in their mouths for a long duration and let it sit and soak. You can see that a lot of these natives will have stained teeth and mouths from using it like that. I'm not sure if there's any research on this, and this is just my speculation, but having that prolonged exposure over a long period of time is what really amplifies the carcinogenic affects of the areca nut.

It acreoline addictive? I don't have any any scientific studies right now that can give you a decisive answer on that. However, on our suggested use we suggest to use it for 2 week cycles. This product is not intended for long term, high dosage use. So even if it was addictive, the cycling component would counteract that.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Absolutely, I understand your concerns and as mentioned before if a lot of people have a concern with it we can remove it on our next run. There's another aspect of the areca nut that I forgot to mention as well. It seems that most natives that chew on areca nut use it almost like chewing tobacco in that they keep it in their mouths for a long duration and let it sit and soak. You can see that a lot of these natives will have stained teeth and mouths from using it like that. I'm not sure if there's any research on this, and this is just my speculation, but having that prolonged exposure over a long period of time is what really amplifies the carcinogenic affects of the areca nut.

It acreoline addictive? I don't have any any scientific studies right now that can give you a decisive answer on that. However, on our suggested use we suggest to use it for 2 week cycles. This product is not intended for long term, high dosage use. So even if it was addictive, the cycling component would counteract that.
It's far from anything conclusive, but it's a good read:
Arecoline's activity on nAChR associated with addiction may account for the habitual use of areca nut preparations
As shown in Fig 7, arecoline is a relatively potent, albeit low efficacy, partial agonist for HS α4β2 and α6-containing receptors, suggesting that activity at these receptors may subtly mediate some of the reward associated with habitual betel use, and moreover may account for some of the addictive properties of areca.
There are two stages to the process of drug taking behavior leading to addiction. The first stage involves short-term "reinforcing" effects which promote the drug taking in a naive user. The second stage involves the development of dependence which leads to craving and ultimately withdrawal. It seems unlikely that arecoline/areca has reinforcing effects mediated by the low level of nAChR activation produced. It is more likely that short-term reinforcement of betel use is associated with the muscarinic "high" or intoxication. However, our data suggest that habitual use of areca will also work on the same receptors as does nicotine. This may lead to dependence and promote craving and withdrawal if is areca use is discontinued. Indeed, areca users attempting to quit manifest withdrawal symptoms similar to those of smokers, including irritability, mood swings, paranoia, anxiety, lack of concentration, and sleep disturbance [51].
It also mentions the typical method of use, as you mentioned:
The typical pattern of betel use involves prolonged chewing the prepared quid and so would be expected to produce prolonged delivery of arecoline and other factors at low levels. This sort of presentation of a partial agonist will have two effects: it will down-regulate the phasic activity of other stimuli, such as oscillations in endogenous ACh, and it may also promote low levels of steady-state activation as receptors pass in and out of desensitized states
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4619380/

VeinNutrition

VeinNutrition

Board Sponsor
Awards
I appreciate you taking the time to post this detailed response. I don't have the time to respond to everything you wrote, although I'd love to, and I do appreciate that you are educated and informed, and that you are willing to have these conversations. I do agree that we need more research, and preferably some humans studies, on arecoline to come to any definitive conclusions about its safety and efficacy, and we do have some conflicting information, but until we know with a bit more certainty that it's safe, I personally will stay away from it. The way I see it, there are a plethora of other ingredients/stimulants that will provide energy and/or appetite suppression that have human studies and don't carry the potential concerns discussed above. Of course, that's just my opinion, and others may disagree. I do think that a few products that had arecoline ended up removing it, but I'm not entirely sure.
Yes I believe you're right some companies did/are removing arecoline. I heard over at BodyBuilding.com there was a big debate over this for some time as well. If for a lot of consumers the difference between buying or not buying our Controlled Burn product is due to the 5mg of arecoline, then we can remove it from our next formulation.

We're an open company and it seems that some consumers are scared because of the inconclusive evidence, and the word "cancer" is always a scary word to be thrown around. I'll talk to my team as well as my manufacture more into this subject, the arecoline is not a make a break ingredient on our profile because we've already got the DMHA in there for energy and appetite suppression.

JPARKS42

Awards
  • Established
Not sure if anyone saw this yet by Inspired Nutraceuticals. It is a higher stim version of DVST8 white cut.

https://www.inspirednutraceuticals.com/products/dvst8-crimson
Thanks for pointing that out, I pre ordered a tub and am waiting to receive it in the mail right now (scheduled to be delivered to my house today) but this is the first I've seen the ingredient panel... holy sh!t that's a lot of caffeine... Was hoping for something a little closer to DVST8. This ought to be interesting though

VeinNutrition

VeinNutrition

Board Sponsor
Awards
It's far from anything conclusive, but it's a good read:

It also mentions the typical method of use, as you mentioned:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4619380/
Nice find! I think the two things I draw from this is 1. " It seems unlikely that arecoline/areca has reinforcing effects mediated by the low level of nAChR activation produced. " aka the first stage of addiction. And 2. "his may lead to dependence and promote craving and withdrawal if is areca use is discontinued. " My take from this is that areca nut use is not acutely addictive and the addictive element comes from the long term use and dependence in the typical chewing method that natives use. We can't exactly extrapolate to arecoline but we do have that 2 week cycling regiment so that would combat any addiction that may be caused by long term use.

The method of delivery I think is also a crucial different between areca nut use by natives and acreoline use in dietary supplements. The native use of areca nut is long term and produces that prolonged delivery that is very much different than the acreoline use in dietary supplements.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for pointing that out, I pre ordered a tub and am waiting to receive it in the mail right now (scheduled to be delivered to my house today) but this is the first I've seen the ingredient panel... holy sh!t that's a lot of caffeine... Was hoping for something a little closer to DVST8. This ought to be interesting though
It's definitely less than 400mg of total caffeine; anhydrous is 100% caffeine, citrate is ~50%, dicaffeine malate is ~75%, and PurCaf is 90%, but still seems like it'd be pretty high stim.

BRUstrong

BRUstrong

Awards
  • Established
I hear ya but direct always is high.
Very true. I searched around and I think it's only direct right now. Depending on how low you could find it, I'd still stick with FXT. Even though FXT is a prop blend and has a different form of choline, pretty similar blends and FXT is known to get the job done!

pulsefit

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Very true. I searched around and I think it's only direct right now. Depending on how low you could find it, I'd still stick with FXT. Even though FXT is a prop blend and has a different form of choline, pretty similar blends and FXT is known to get the job done!
No argument here. ATP was a board sponsor at one point but not heard them on here in a year.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like the inclusion of noopept but that product is a recycled blend already.

DEVANS89

DEVANS89

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
any one know why iforce seem to promote OG hemavol over hemavol 2?

macwad

Awards
  • Established
From Stack3d:

"HPN’s upcoming sirtuins activator sounding very unique
2 hours ago | HPN
hpn s9
High Performance Nutrition has been a bit busy lately with the reveal and release of its new joint support competitor, J8. It turns out that hasn’t stopped the brand from keeping the innovation going, as it has confirmed that another entirely new supplement is right around the corner.
The name of the next product from the brand is HPN S9, which like most of its products’ names doesn’t really tell you much abut it. The supplement is actually being promoted as a sirtuins activator, with sirtuins being a class of proteins that are involved in a wide variety of important, natural processes such as inflammation, aging, and energy.
With the upcoming S9, HPN looks like it’s aiming to deliver a lot of effects along those lines including increased bloodflow, metabolic activation, and DNA protection. The brand is saying more information on its next, very unique sounding product will be along soon, with an official launch probably not too far away either."

Anyone has any info on sirtuins activation?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
ostrim...very tasty.

btw-love the science debates on here, very informative!!!

patrick25

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Their PA(7) Is really good. That company is getting better in my opinion

Run579

Run579

Awards
From Stack3d:

"HPN’s upcoming sirtuins activator sounding very unique
2 hours ago | HPN
hpn s9
High Performance Nutrition has been a bit busy lately with the reveal and release of its new joint support competitor, J8. It turns out that hasn’t stopped the brand from keeping the innovation going, as it has confirmed that another entirely new supplement is right around the corner.
The name of the next product from the brand is HPN S9, which like most of its products’ names doesn’t really tell you much abut it. The supplement is actually being promoted as a sirtuins activator, with sirtuins being a class of proteins that are involved in a wide variety of important, natural processes such as inflammation, aging, and energy.
With the upcoming S9, HPN looks like it’s aiming to deliver a lot of effects along those lines including increased bloodflow, metabolic activation, and DNA protection. The brand is saying more information on its next, very unique sounding product will be along soon, with an official launch probably not too far away either."

Anyone has any info on sirtuins activation?
Sounds like snake oil.

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Probably going to have Niagen in it as there's some research showing it has some effects on SIRT-1 and 3 I believe

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Probably going to have Niagen in it as there's some research showing it has some effects on SIRT-1 and 3 I believe
Tbh doubt the product will be any good and will just be a bunch of buzzwords but still looking forward to see what they come out with

Reactions: LLN
DEVANS89

DEVANS89

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What gives you that notion??
Well, I follow them on Instagram and max out used to get all the love in photos from them and reposts from other iforce athletes. I get that it is the newer pre of the two.. and I remember hemavol2 got a reformulation, but more recently it's been og hemavol on the page

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
We'd love your insight/opinion on acreoline! We're very open to feedback and change and if there's a compelling argument or a few conclusive studies, we'd be happy to reformulate.
http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Monographs/vol85/mono85-6.pdf Opens a .pdf Document

Start at page 143.

We can agree that 1mg for a Swiss Mouse may not equal 5mg for a 170lb Human - but why risk it? AHB, if it does anything at all in a "fat burner", contributes what? to the total fat lost? A few grams? Funny how you never saw a fat Ethiopian during the famine... probably because "It's the deficit, stupid" (who remembers the 1992 Presidential race?) - that is responsible for 9x% of the fat lost. And you can get the rest of the way with the other stuff in your formula that are related to Beta Agonism, or Alpha Antagonism - without a cancer worry.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
The deal going around on it in the last few days was silly; hope the retailer comes through.
I think it's still up too... $19/5lb of wpc would've been a deal ha

carguy123

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The Dangerous Areca Nut May Actually Help Cure Disease

"...new findings now published online in the journal Molecular Cell suggests the component may not be all bad, and has some anticancer properties. The team of researchers found that arecoline can help limit something known as the Warburg effect, a term used to describe a technique cancer cells use to grow more quickly. In a lab setting, arecoline inhibited the growth of human lung cancer and leukemia cells both in culture and grafted into mice. What’s more, it did this while not affecting the growth of normal blood cells."

also referenced in the article:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27867011

VeinNutrition

VeinNutrition

Board Sponsor
Awards
http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Monographs/vol85/mono85-6.pdf Opens a .pdf Document

Start at page 143.

We can agree that 1mg for a Swiss Mouse may not equal 5mg for a 170lb Human - but why risk it? AHB, if it does anything at all in a "fat burner", contributes what? to the total fat lost? A few grams? Funny how you never saw a fat Ethiopian during the famine... probably because "It's the deficit, stupid" (who remembers the 1992 Presidential race?) - that is responsible for 9x% of the fat lost. And you can get the rest of the way with the other stuff in your formula that are related to Beta Agonism, or Alpha Antagonism - without a cancer worry.
Morning! Another user linked that same document, take a look at my detailed analysis here : http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/273260-new-product-release-394.html#post5664670

A quick synopsis is that there are simply not enough conclusive results to say arecoline itself is harmful at the dosages we have. A lot of people have pointed to the same 1984 study, but if you look at their results there's some fundamental unexplained discrepancies that a 3rd party group of scientist actually point out as well. One being that unexplained drastically different results in male and female mice and two the questionable data collection accurately. A newer 2015 study used 3x the dosage as the 1984 study and concluded no damages during short term use. I go over all this in depth in the above link I gave.

Our team has been discussing that there may be too much misinformation and/or inconclusive results that are scaring people away from acrecoline. We are leaning towards removing it from our formulation for our next run because the potential public backlash outweigh the benefits of keeping it in. But please take a look into my post I linked above to see why at this point I'm not fully convinced that's there's any stablished link between acrecoline and tumor growth.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Morning! Another user linked that same document, take a look at my detailed analysis here : http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/273260-new-product-release-394.html#post5664670

A quick synopsis is that there are simply not enough conclusive results to say arecoline itself is harmful at the dosages we have. A lot of people have pointed to the same 1984 study, but if you look at their results there's some fundamental unexplained discrepancies that a 3rd party group of scientist actually point out as well. One being that unexplained drastically different results in male and female mice and two the questionable data collection accurately. A newer 2015 study used 3x the dosage as the 1984 study and concluded no damages during short term use. I go over all this in depth in the above link I gave.

Our team has been discussing that there may be too much misinformation and/or inconclusive results that are scaring people away from acrecoline. We are leaning towards removing it from our formulation for our next run because the potential public backlash outweigh the benefits of keeping it in. But please take a look into my post I linked above to see why at this point I'm not fully convinced that's there's any stablished link between acrecoline and tumor growth.
I think the point many people are getting at is that the potential risks, even if they are unlikely and/or conflicting, outweigh the potential benefits, as it's not like it has abundant and dramatic evidence for weight loss, and there are many other ingredients, many of which are in the product, that can do similar or better things without this concern.

VeinNutrition

VeinNutrition

Board Sponsor
Awards
I think the point many people are getting at is that the potential risks, even if they are unlikely and/or conflicting, outweigh the potential benefits, as it's not like it has abundant and dramatic evidence for weight loss, and there are many other ingredients, many of which are in the product, that can do similar or better things without this concern.
I can agree with that sentiment! It's not a majorly crucial part of our formulation so we can remove it and most likely will. But please understand from our point of view we also have to defend why we initially put it in there. If we don't , it gives competitors a potential talking point against us, for example it'd be negative word of mouth to say "don't use Vein Nutrition, they were putting cancer causing ingredients in their products!".

The supplement industry is very saturated and surprisingly (or unsurprisingly) there's a lot of behind the scenes and even public drama between companies. We generally want to stay away from all that. But at the same time, we do have to defend our products and ingredients.

pulsefit

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I can agree with that sentiment! It's not a majorly crucial part of our formulation so we can remove it and most likely will. But please understand from our point of view we also have to defend why we initially put it in there. If we don't , it gives competitors a potential talking point against us, for example it'd be negative word of mouth to say "don't use Vein Nutrition, they were putting cancer causing ingredients in their products!".

The supplement industry is very saturated and surprisingly (or unsurprisingly) there's a lot of behind the scenes and even public drama between companies. We generally want to stay away from all that. But at the same time, we do have to defend our products and ingredients.
At least you're willing to listen. Most companies have to much into skus to care.

VeinNutrition

VeinNutrition

Board Sponsor
Awards
At least you're willing to listen. Most companies have to much into skus to care.
As a small and growing business we're very receptive to customer feedback. When you're a larger company, you have a much larger audience base and it's hard to appease everyone.

Rob1882

Awards
  • Established
I will def be trying that Rule1 white chocolate raspberry O.O

Along with the blueberry cobbler one bars :)

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
The Dangerous Areca Nut May Actually Help Cure Disease

"...new findings now published online in the journal Molecular Cell suggests the component may not be all bad, and has some anticancer properties. The team of researchers found that arecoline can help limit something known as the Warburg effect, a term used to describe a technique cancer cells use to grow more quickly. In a lab setting, arecoline inhibited the growth of human lung cancer and leukemia cells both in culture and grafted into mice. What’s more, it did this while not affecting the growth of normal blood cells."

also referenced in the article:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27867011
Not a good article for your point since it only talks in assumptions... also, you conveniently didn't quote:
"It’s too early for doctors to suggest using arecoline to combat cancer, and its toxic qualities mean that if not used correctly, it could cause as many cancers as it prevents. Still, this is a starting point for more research."

VeinNutrition

VeinNutrition

Board Sponsor
Awards
Not a good article for your point since it only talks in assumptions... also, you conveniently didn't quote:
"It’s too early for doctors to suggest using arecoline to combat cancer, and its toxic qualities mean that if not used correctly, it could cause as many cancers as it prevents. Still, this is a starting point for more research."
Stepping in for a quick reply on behalf the company:

Yes the article is very broad/general but the referenced 2016 study has the exact data you're looking for. I think for a lot of people, there's an assumption that because acreoline is in acrea nuts, and areca nuts are a carcinogen that acreoline is also a acreoline. However, this is not particularly valid because the ROAs (route of administration) is different and you cannot backwards extrapolate like that.

A few sentences down from the quote you posted, there's another direct quote from the article "As for its toxic properties, the study showed that there was no obvious toxicity when treating the mice, but emphasized that more research must be done to uncover the true extent of Arecoline's possible dangers."

I think the evidence and studies we have now are just too inconclusive. If you go back to my earlier in-depth post, my conclusion is basically that there's not enough conclusive evidence for the acreoline compound (not the acrea nut) to draw any solid conclusions at this time. However, because we recognize that that the evidence is inconclusive, we will pull the ingredient from our next run. The potential backlash out-weighs the benefits of the inclusion of the ingredient in our product.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I will def be trying that Rule1 white chocolate raspberry O.O

Along with the blueberry cobbler one bars :)
You already know where to order from :) let me know if you pick them up and your feedback

I wanna know how that rule 1 is

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
However, because we recognize that that the evidence is inconclusive, we will pull the ingredient from our next run. The potential backlash out-weighs the benefits of the inclusion of the ingredient in our product.
Now *that's* a class move. You did your company good I think.

VeinNutrition

VeinNutrition

Board Sponsor
Awards
With all due respect, one of the flawed arguments in the acreoline debate is the backwards extrapolationg of the acrea nut and acreoline. There's no doubt that the acrea nut and it's ROA causes damage if used long term, but the acrea nut and it's extracts are a combination of several different compounds. Our debate is around the acreoline compound only. One cannot say that because acreoline is in the acrea nut, that acreoline is causing all the negative effects of the acrea nut. The best analogy is to look at cigarettes/tobacco, nicotine is in cigarettes but nicotine is not what primarily causes cancer and other negative affects associated with smoking cigarettes. Nicotine causes the addiction and continued use, but it's the tar and smoke that primarily causes COPD, cancer, etc. So it's incorrect to say nicotine is in cigarettes, cigarettes cause can cause cancer so nicotine can cause cancer. Same with the acrea nut, it's incorrect to say acreoline is in the acrea nut, the acrea nut causes cancer, so acreoline causes cancer.