the napalm detroit barbell experience...

napalm

napalm

Awards
Dang, I wish I had planned my schedule out a whole lot better. I really wanted to make my way up to Columbus this year to catch the action. It'll have to be next year....

What about the cages, napalm? Any idea what other kind of crazy strength is going to be demoed at the Arnold? Like any squattin' or pulling?
oh yeah, all the big boys will be there. go to the arnold website and look at the schedule. there's everything under the sun from xfit to cheer and everything in between. i can only make it sunday. i just checked columbus weather: wintery mix, chance of precip 90%

this does not make me happy, i might have to go up saturday depending on weather.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Jimmy Kolb and Mike Womack are both 900lb single ply benchers. That's gonna be a fun even. I guess the Animal Cage is going to have (just from facebook) Corey Hayes squatting 3x bw and Pete Rubish pulling without a belt. No idea what the rest of Animal's schedule is.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Whilst I think for me, it is more mental than 10%, (as another guy on another forum penned it, Deadlift voodoo) I feel the bottom 2 quotes have perhaps helped me keeping my 1RM dead at or above #600 for so long.

Weak at the Knee

First, make sure the glutes are fully engaged. Now this is not glute activation that you read so much about. I think much of that is bull****. If you can perform the range of motion, your muscles will be “activated.” I’ve torn both my glute and my hamstring on separate occasions—trust me, you know they’re not involved. They can however, not be contributing as much as you need. To remedy this from occurring at the top end, I recommend pin pulls and deadlifts off blocks. I prefer pulling off blocks. Pin pulls are brutal to recover from as the arms are forced to absorb much of the force from the barbell smashing into the pins. Too much grip-intensive work is hard enough to recover form; pin pulls magnify this. Pulling off blocks, while a pain to set up, is a far more natural pull. And unlike pin pulls, they reinforce all the good things you’re trying to do in a perfect deadlift. I don’t hate pin pulls (provided you’re not doing them in my gym with 800 pounds loaded on a $1000 dollar competition bar). Just do them less frequently. Also, with either pin pulls or pulls off blocks, don’t pull from too high. Too high will affect your hinge and turn the movement into a quad exercise. Finally, any pin or pull off a block should be done conventional.

I do more pin pulls than he suggests, but do like the block pulls and have added them in moreso lately.

A key point that often gets overlooked is that a deadlift, be it sumo or conventional, is less about pulling up and more about pulling back. You know you’re setting up right when the only thing preventing you from falling backward on your ass is the weight of the barbell. To understand why, think of the deadlift as a teeter-totter. Say you weigh 250 pounds—you want to get as much of your bodyweight helping you pull that weight as possible. This means less pulling up and more falling back. So, if you had 250 pounds on the barbell, your bodyweight alone should be enough to move the weight—without you exerting an ounce of force. You’ll know you’re doing this correctly when your warm-up sets seem to fly up from the floor like you were using a broomstick instead of a loaded barbell.

Other than that, getting my pos chain capacity to handle the amounts of work I can, has also been a, if not thee, big factor.

Always liked Tate and his perspectives, even if I never agreed with everything he has said.

Good article and thanx

gymwrenchwv

gymwrenchwv

Awards
Whilst I think for me, it is more mental than 10%, (as another guy on another forum penned it, Deadlift voodoo) I feel the bottom 2 quotes have perhaps helped me keeping my 1RM dead at or above #600 for so long. Weak at the Knee First, make sure the glutes are fully engaged. Now this is not glute activation that you read so much about. I think much of that is bull****. If you can perform the range of motion, your muscles will be “activated.” I’ve torn both my glute and my hamstring on separate occasions—trust me, you know they’re not involved. They can however, not be contributing as much as you need. To remedy this from occurring at the top end, I recommend pin pulls and deadlifts off blocks. I prefer pulling off blocks. Pin pulls are brutal to recover from as the arms are forced to absorb much of the force from the barbell smashing into the pins. Too much grip-intensive work is hard enough to recover form; pin pulls magnify this. Pulling off blocks, while a pain to set up, is a far more natural pull. And unlike pin pulls, they reinforce all the good things you’re trying to do in a perfect deadlift. I don’t hate pin pulls (provided you’re not doing them in my gym with 800 pounds loaded on a $1000 dollar competition bar). Just do them less frequently. Also, with either pin pulls or pulls off blocks, don’t pull from too high. Too high will affect your hinge and turn the movement into a quad exercise. Finally, any pin or pull off a block should be done conventional. I do more pin pulls than he suggests, but do like the block pulls and have added them in moreso lately. A key point that often gets overlooked is that a deadlift, be it sumo or conventional, is less about pulling up and more about pulling back. You know you’re setting up right when the only thing preventing you from falling backward on your ass is the weight of the barbell. To understand why, think of the deadlift as a teeter-totter. Say you weigh 250 pounds—you want to get as much of your bodyweight helping you pull that weight as possible. This means less pulling up and more falling back. So, if you had 250 pounds on the barbell, your bodyweight alone should be enough to move the weight—without you exerting an ounce of force. You’ll know you’re doing this correctly when your warm-up sets seem to fly up from the floor like you were using a broomstick instead of a loaded barbell. Other than that, getting my pos chain capacity to handle the amounts of work I can, has also been a, if not thee, big factor. Always liked Tate and his perspectives, even if I never agreed with everything he has said. Good article and thanx
I'm not sure what pin pulls are but I'm gonna look into it. Learned a lot from reading these two quotes. Although not as informative , my favorite dead lift quote would have to be ..." Dead lifts are like chics. When it's over ur usually hurting the next day , but doin them makes u a man". Thanks for the info u posted.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm not sure what pin pulls are but I'm gonna look into it. Learned a lot from reading these two quotes.
Well they are very much like block pulls ie: starting from a bit higher up the shin, but with a pin pull the bar is resting on the rack pins and not out on the plates, so the feel of the bar being ultra solid or rigid is right at the start. A block pulls gives you more bar flex and an almost slackier start.
I can see where DT mentions getting beat up by them, because they can take a little out of you from that standpoint. The full weight is right there to get moving at the initial pull.
They can also be somewhat humbling, since you might go in thinking you should do more, but the energy used in the start, can take some gas from you and gives you a bit of a form check (at least it did me) to boot.
Another thing I tried to pay attention to, (or any rack pull or block pull) with the same locational stance I would have if I reached that point in my floor pull. Since you want transfer to your floor pull and not just an ego lift or a different body approach on lifts up above your normal floor level.
Unless it is a deliberate different movement, like say an RDL or GM or along those lines.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
OOOOOOOOOO. that's nice.

I have a buddy who will be out there with you guys this weekend. He's a strongman and competes at state+national level. Good guy, if you happen to run into a shaved headed guy named Aric. haha.

napalm

napalm

Awards
OOOOOOOOOO. that's nice. I have a buddy who will be out there with you guys this weekend. He's a strongman and competes at state+national level. Good guy, if you happen to run into a shaved headed guy named Aric. haha.
Lol, I think some of the strongman is Sunday. I hope I get a chance to see it. I'll keep an eye out for sure.

I'm happy because they usually send me like 7-8 little bottles..

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol so you got a huge bottle? Great. now get 7-8 of those! haha.

I don't know that he is lifting. I think not. I'm kinda mad I'm not now...

napalm

napalm

Awards
Arnold updates:

One of our girls went 3/3 and got 490, big clays wife went 2/3

Out resident freak of nature mark oped w 665 and hit it.....at 148

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Arnold updates:

Damnit I'm trying to go to that, we better hurry!

napalm

napalm

Awards
Mark 3/3, 735 smoked.

That's only 5 times bw

JJ opened w 750 and smoked it, 800 is his second

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Awesome so far! We're heading over there now.

napalm

napalm

Awards
got some totals

beth - jj's wife - she's strong: 1125 at 132 i think
tracey - 1125 at 132
shelly - big clay's wife - 1025 at 148

and our resident freak of nature filipino mark - 1725 at 148

jj is on the board w a 830 squat and a 580 bench, not done pulling yet

detroit barbell is representin...

gymwrenchwv

gymwrenchwv

Awards
got some totals beth - jj's wife - she's strong: 1125 at 132 i think tracey - 1125 at 132 shelly - big clay's wife - 1025 at 148 and our resident freak of nature filipino mark - 1725 at 148 jj is on the board w a 830 squat and a 580 bench, not done pulling yet detroit barbell is representin...
U guys letting anyone else pick anything up?? Lol. Congrats to everyone involved. Sounds like some major a$$ kicking going on!!

napalm

napalm

Awards
U guys letting anyone else pick anything up?? Lol. Congrats to everyone involved. Sounds like some major a$$ kicking going on!!
lol, txs bro. jj has a real shot of totaling >2000 at 198...again...

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bro, the lifters are strong and all that, but I am FAR more impressed by the Detroit Barbell Wife Crew. Think JJ ended up pulling 660, you'll get the full updates. Your gang had a helluva day. There was a 220 that benched 820-830. Mick Manley pulled 735 at 198. Daniel Tinajero pulled 775 at 220 to win it all (homie's twice my size.) That was a sweet meet. I'm hoping to go back tomorrow to watch the big hosses shoot it out.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Bro, the lifters are strong and all that, but I am FAR more impressed by the Detroit Barbell Wife Crew. Think JJ ended up pulling 660, you'll get the full updates. Your gang had a helluva day. There was a 220 that benched 820-830. Mick Manley pulled 735 at 198. Daniel Tinajero pulled 775 at 220 to win it all (homie's twice my size.) That was a sweet meet. I'm hoping to go back tomorrow to watch the big hosses shoot it out.
lol, beth and tracy are cuties. beth is serious business, she don't talk to anyone other than hello and good bye. tracy's husband brian is a cool dude. beth is prolly 32ish and has the body of a collegiate athlete. tracy is just musclebound and in her 30's.

you'll meet my wife sunday :thumbsup:

jj is pissed, he didn't tell ryan, who's been texting me the updates his total. only thin ryan said was that jj was close to 2000.

wow, 820 at 220 is world class. we have 1 198 and 1 220 at the freak show sunday that will be in the mid 700's i think. wait till you see these 2. tim at 198 walks around at 220. and eric at 220 cut from 235...

napalm

napalm

Awards
fuuuuucckkkkk

columbus weather is saying 6-12 inches from saturday until monday.

radar doesn't look that bad though.

might be leaving saturday...

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
Dude those are some awesome numbers! Must be a great feeling to be part of that organization

napalm

napalm

Awards
Dude those are some awesome numbers! Must be a great feeling to be part of that organization
lol, txs. i've only been there 2 months, i don't even know if i'm part of the team yet.

i just show up and do what i'm told...

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
Sounds like they're making you earn your stripes by beind the office bytch... JK :)

napalm

napalm

Awards
Sounds like they're making you earn your stripes by beind the office bytch... JK :)
yeah, i'm still pretty much in the loading plates stage, and clay and jj are just now starting to pay attention when i'm lifting...

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
Pretty awesome crew. Get that GOLD man

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
lol, beth and tracy are cuties. beth is serious business, she don't talk to anyone other than hello and good bye. tracy's husband brian is a cool dude. beth is prolly 32ish and has the body of a collegiate athlete. tracy is just musclebound and in her 30's.

you'll meet my wife sunday :thumbsup:

jj is pissed, he didn't tell ryan, who's been texting me the updates his total. only thin ryan said was that jj was close to 2000.

wow, 820 at 220 is world class. we have 1 198 and 1 220 at the freak show sunday that will be in the mid 700's i think. wait till you see these 2. tim at 198 walks around at 220. and eric at 220 cut from 235...
Well I know exactly which two you're talking about now, and I also was impressed by the non-lifting wife crew. Looking forward to seeing you out here, man. Your guys killed it, and I can't ****ing WAIT for the the bench freaks meet. My buddy's alma mater has two kids competing in the state finals tomorrow night, so I am 100% committed to going to wrestling, but we're going back to the Vets Auditorium in the morning to watch some bad homies squat a grand.

throneof

throneof

Awards
  • Established
Arnold updates:

Holy cr@p dude... you're at the Arnold? How fortunate

napalm

napalm

Awards
Well I know exactly which two you're talking about now, and I also was impressed by the non-lifting wife crew. Looking forward to seeing you out here, man. Your guys killed it, and I can't ****ing WAIT for the the bench freaks meet. My buddy's alma mater has two kids competing in the state finals tomorrow night, so I am 100% committed to going to wrestling, but we're going back to the Vets Auditorium in the morning to watch some bad homies squat a grand.
the local forecast doesn't look too good, but even at 45 mph i can make it there in 4 hours.

do me a favor and check out the local news and give me some real time.

pm coming...

napalm

napalm

Awards
Sorry no updates yesterday. We got there with about 45 minutes to spare after we found our crew. Tim and Eric really didn't have a good day. Eric got his opener of 700, but that was it. Tim got his opener of 650, missed 700 but got 730 I think. I don't think big clay was too happy w Eric.

Some dude from ohio hit 950 to win it, and tiny missed 1050. The highlight for me was seeing the little cute Russian 14 yr old that me and mrs napalm met at worlds. I think she got up to 290, but missed her third. I really wanted to get my daughter and her in a pic, but my kid froze up. I think Gene and the WPC may be in a tug of war to see who's gonna make her a star.

After they were done, we just shot the shyt with all the Detroit barbell crew that was there, made one huge swag run, got something to eat and split. We're going to plan better next year and make it down w my team for the weekend. There was a lot of shyt to check out that we didn't get to.

Drive down was miserable, 4 1/2 hours to make a 3 hour drive, but the ride home was smooth. Didn't meet up w herder because his buddy bailed or something or that, and I think cincy was still drunk from the night before...

napalm

napalm

Awards
Abstracting data from our electronic medical records for this Medicare program we participate in. I just saw a 101 yr old man on androgel w a test level of 900 :eek:

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think cincy was still drunk from the night before...
My bad dude. I was trying to stick my below average, for a 10yr old Chinese male, wee wee in some poor sorority girls happy place. I believe I sent a text to you, so if it wasn't coherent it was the whiskey talking.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I had a clingy wife issue (friend's, I have no wife) Sunday, which REALLY pissed me off. I wanted to see some big fockin benches and napalm.

EDIT: And Cincy, but obviously that wasn't gonna pan out.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I had a clingy wife issue (friend's, I have no wife) Sunday, which REALLY pissed me off. I wanted to see some big fockin benches and napalm.

EDIT: And Cincy, but obviously that wasn't gonna pan out.
Also sounds like your buddy has major whipped issues, too, lol. Sorry to hear there wasn't a really big AM-PL "reunion" at the Arnolds this year. But I guess that also means I didn't miss anything. We should all try to make something of it next year.

PalmFist

PalmFist

Awards
I too am planning for next year if I can the time off approved...

napalm

napalm

Awards
lol cincy, the text i got said you were 15 beers and 4 shots deep.

we'll all plan better next year.

i'll post todays training tomorrow, i beat.

trying to buy plane tickets to the philippines and all the flights suck...

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
lol cincy, the text i got said you were 15 beers and 4 shots deep. we'll all plan better next year. i'll post todays training tomorrow, i beat. trying to buy plane tickets to the philippines and all the flights suck...
Sounds about right.

Only 363 days until the day I redeem myself.

napalm

napalm

Awards
I'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today.
Lol, you're too young to have watched wimpy on TV.

Rack pulls - mid shin

Warmup
Stretch/mash/roll

Work

225x2x8
315x2x6
405x2x3
455x3
495x1
545x1

Pendlay's

200x3x3

Face pulls

80x3x10

Lat pull downs

150x3x8 strict as h.ell

Thoughts

My kids aau volleyball starts this week, so I'm switching heavy pulls from weds to Tuesday. I'll do all my mobility stuff on thurs instead. This will be for a couple months. Clay = not happy, but wifey works afternoons so there's nothing I can do. This will have the benefit of not getting the shyt beat out of me on weds, and actually getting some rep work in at a lighter %, which is what I think I need. It's tough to try to keep up w the kids and not look like a p.ussy. So, I'll get some work in w weights I've never handled before, but not grind myself down as much. I think it'll be good for me for a couple months.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Clay may not be happy but daddy's girl always gets that special treatment. We can't help that haha

Nice work as usual Napalm. I don't think you'll have trouble locking out anything you get to mid shin.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Clay may not be happy but daddy's girl always gets that special treatment. We can't help that haha Nice work as usual Napalm. I don't think you'll have trouble locking out anything you get to mid shin.
Lol, yep.

Also, I'm going to do equipped bench and raw dl at nationals. This way, if I bomb in the bench, I'll have another decent chance to qualify for worlds...which is the whole point.

Only downside is I have to weigh in twice ...