dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So to start off, I have extremely tough body and face hair. Until recently I sported the old goat, and used the Schick Fusion 4 blade job. First, then, I went full beard, and now shaved my head for a new look.

For cleaning up, the Schick didn't seem to last me very long. Even with limited shaving, maybe 2 weeks. Starting to bring my head into it, though, soon revealed a few things. This razor is weak.

Not appreciating the $18 refills, I finally took the plunge. First, I'm gonna go for the Dollar Shave Club. The trouble with the 4 blade Schick-model is that the width of the blade unit is such that around the curvy portions of my head, the blades' contact area is very inconsistent. I found out the hard way this past weekend that that is a recipe for bloody painful disaster. Coming around the crown towards the front the blades pulled off, leaving a single guillotine to come slashing down taking a chunk out of the front of my scalp.

Two more "nicks" later my head was a bloody mess. The worst part? Still stubbly.

Anyway, Dollar Shave Club - I am sure you have heard. They arrived today, Definitely....frugal. I'm going to use a hot towel and shaving gel (more on this later), and the two blade job. This should minimize blade cartridge size and keep it close to my scalp.

As soon as I posted something about DSC, an old recommendation came up again - double sided blades into my grandpa-type shaving rig: The old safety razor. Given that I can pick up a nice heavy steel rig on ebay for $10, I was reminded about my old routine. I used to have a nice boar bristle brush and shaving mug. Shaving was a ceremony as much as it was simple hygiene.

And then, of course, I remember something I made a few years back as a custom request - Java Lather and Renegade Shaving Discs. The mold I had made the perfect size discs to fit right into the bottom of the mug, and of course the legendary lather of each soap made for an incredible shave. The Renegade scent, of course, reinforced that this was a man's task and a man's simple indulgence.

Feel free to share your routine here, and random shaving thoughts. I will most likely grab the steel safety rig and start making Renegade discs for myself. Let me know if you want me to make you some as well.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I use a norelco re chargeable cordless on my head and face... smooth and no burn

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just use the schick hydro 5 power. I shave my head also but not down to the skin. I have an electric shaver for that. Phillips Norelco. Just had to look it up. I use the Philips Norelco QC5580/40 on my head.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I use a norelco re chargeable cordless on my head and face... smooth and no burn
My beard chews those electric bull**** jobs up and spits them out.

Etomic

Awards
  • Established
Safety razors are definitely the best razors. It isn't quick and easy like electric but do get a closer shave. I used to spend $20/mo on cartridges and get a near permanent red mustache from razor burn and ingrown hairs. I get none of those problems with safety razors. No rashes, rarely ingrown hairs, and I've only spent $60 on blades in the last three years -- I only shave once every 2-3 days.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dollar Shave Club 2 blade clunker? FAIL

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I grew up using Gilette and just jumped onto the next thing they pumped out (4 blades, 5 blades, fusion, etc.). The only thing I really ever liked was whichever one had the small razor on the back side of it that I could use for edging -- that was handy for facial hair. Anyway, I got a couple Schick hydros for free at an event in college and just tossed them in the bin with extra bathroom supplies and never got around to using one until a couple years later on a day when I was out of cartridges and was already planning to shave. Was surprised at how much better the shave was. I liked it a whole lot more and have used them since.

My facial hair is such that I truly should shave every day -- but I don't. I grow different variations of beards out just because A.) I can, B.) I get bored with the same look for too long, and C.) a full beard cuts down on how often I have to shave -- a lot. That said, when I do shave, it's usually 2 times a week at most, so the stubble is pretty heavy at that point. I rock a beard trimmer with no guard on first (had an old Norelco for about 10 years that finally crapped out this past Fall and this is the replacement I got: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ARF44O6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 -- works wonderfully in all aspects). After that, then I'll actually shave (I used an electric a few times when I was younger but that ALWAYS left random patches of stubble no matter how many times I went over my face).

The Schick hydro helped for quite some time, but as of late, I seem to be back in the same boat. And that's that it gives me a fine shave above the jaw line, but not underneath. I get razor burn regardless of what I seemingly try to do in the portions to the left and right of my adam's apple on the underside of my jaw. It's pretty bad. That's hands down the worst part for me.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The Schick hydro helped for quite some time, but as of late, I seem to be back in the same boat. And that's that it gives me a fine shave above the jaw line, but not underneath. I get razor burn regardless of what I seemingly try to do in the portions to the left and right of my adam's apple on the underside of my jaw. It's pretty bad. That's hands down the worst part for me.

This is as good a place as any other to put this out there, though it was absolutely not the intention. A customer has been using Injure-Eeze on his shaving burns and bumps and is raving to me how incredible it works. Now it's pretty pricey at full concentration, not to mention using a spray aimed in the general direction of your eyes is a bad idea, I'm thinking about making an aftershave gellish formula using Injure-Eeze and the carbomer, with a bit of activated aloe and coconut water extract.

Anyone here with that problem willing to try it out and give me some feedback/suggestions?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm willing to try (almost) anything and provide feedback and photos of how it works (same as I'll do with VM when I use it).

I tried the pre-shave stuff for the electric razor that was supposed to help, then did after shave with it and the after shave with regular razors and doesn't seem to matter. Whether I shave up or down on that portion, it just gets those stupid bumps that stay for a few days.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Since posting I found a couple of new ingredients that are going to be excellent additions.

Samples on the way.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
MWB, wondering what kind of shave cream you use.
I think lately I've used one of the Neutrogena for sensitive (insert jokes) skin gels. They last me forever since I don't shave more than a couple of times a week at most and it's been a while since I had to buy it.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think lately I've used one of the Neutrogena for sensitive (insert jokes) skin gels. They last me forever since I don't shave more than a couple of times a week at most and it's been a while since I had to buy it.
Ever try the Barbasol for sensitive skin?. That's the brand I always use. The gels seem to irritate my skin more than shave cream actually.

jamesm11

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For face shaving I can't recommend the old fashioned safety razors enough. I have coarse beard hair and used to get ingrown and folliculitis a lot from shaving.

My dermatologist told me it is often because the new razors are angled in a way that actually cute below your hairline, causing the hair to grow put jagged and sharp. I switched to a DE razor and get razor burn issues maybe once a month, shaving daily.

It's a little more time consuming to lather up a brush and you have to shave slpwer, bit the extra 3 minutes a day have changed my neck and face appearance, drastically. And blades cost about $20 for the whole YEAR.

Tldr: safety razors are cheaper in the long run by an absurd amount and cause much less razor burn and irritation for those with coarse beards

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why do some of you guys only shave ever 2 to 3 days?. Is it just preference?. Or did I miss something?. Personally I don't like that scruffy feeling. It just feels unclean.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why do some of you guys only shave ever 2 to 3 days?. Is it just preference?. Or did I miss something?. Personally I don't like that scruffy feeling. It just feels unclean.
It serves a few purposes for me:

- saves time
- less razor burn
- I look good with stubble ;)

jamesm11

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's become "fashionable" to look like your not trying. Same with the messy hairstyles. I have to go to court a lot and would rather look professional, so I shave daily.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It's become "fashionable" to look like your not trying. Same with the messy hairstyles. I have to go to court a lot and would rather look professional, so I shave daily.
As a Defendant?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

jmenoy

Awards
Dollar Shave Club 2 blade clunker? FAIL
Old thread I know, but dsade if you're still looking, check out the OneBlade.

It's a little pricey upfront, but it's the best combination of straight razor performance and cartridge convenience I've tried.

AndrewMcD

Awards
  • Established
Buy a fresh aloe vera plant leaf from Whole Foods. Use the plant gel inside as shaving cream after a shower. Guarantee it'll be the best shave of your life.