The End-All Fish Oil Dosage Thread

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
In terms of what? Quality, purity, price? I just bought I full bottle Rite Aid is only a block away from my house and I don't drive.
Quality of vitamins. There are different forms, some are absorbed much more readily than others. Not really worth the money if you are just gonna pee the majority out...(which if anyone has taken a weightlifting multi can attest to with neon colored pee from B vitamins)

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Quality of vitamins. There are different forms, some are absorbed much more readily than others. Not really worth the money if you are just gonna pee the majority out...(which if anyone has taken a weightlifting multi can attest to with neon colored pee from B vitamins)
Okay, so what would you recommend, that isn't expensive and easy to get? I suppose a crappy multi is better than none at all. It'll be probably atleast a week or so until I can get to a place like walmart. My step dad doesn't drive much since he had a knee replacement and I can't drive. Unfortunately I was never taught. The only person that can teach me is my step dad and he can't teach me since he can't drive much right now.

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Okay, so what would you recommend, that isn't expensive and easy to get? I suppose a crappy multi is better than none at all. It'll be probably atleast a week or so until I can get to a place like walmart. My step dad doesn't drive much since he had a knee replacement and I can't drive. Unfortunately I was never taught. The only person that can teach me is my step dad and he can't teach me since he can't drive much right now.
If you cant order online to pick up something like Orthocore or Orange Triad (the only two multis I would really look to buy), I dunno if Id honestly even bother spending the money.

Orthocore is the best multi on the market Ive seen, but very expensive

Orange Triad is close, much more cost effective with 45 days worth of high quality vitamin form multi at around $23, plus a joint complex and immune/digestive complex. You get a lot for the price

There are actually a couple cheaper ones that are decent, but still dont make as much sense as Orange Triad. Life Force is decent, but you only get 30 days worth for around $12ish. If you factor in the extra half month for OT, you get a lot more for only a couple dollars more by going with OT.

If you are on a bulk a multi is less important than when you are on a cut. I still recommend taking a multi because it is almost impossible to get all of your vitamins/minerals and other micronutrients from your diet daily (think of it as an insurance policy).

BubbaDoc

BubbaDoc

Awards
For the record, and so there is no future uncertainty regarding the purpose of this thread, this is not an opinion thread.
Had high hopes when I clicked on this thread, but it tanked from the get go.

purebred

Had high hopes when I clicked on this thread, but it tanked from the get go.
You're welcomed to go or stay: it's no one's loss but yours. Even those who I originally butted heads with understand what my objective is. If you don't, my sincerest apologies. However, I like to see the best in people and I think you're more than capable of contributing to the thread.

BURNT DICE

BURNT DICE

Awards
Thanks for the kind words :)

If you are going to be buying a multi, you should consider buying one with better forms of vitamins anyway...regardless of the lead. Its not just about the quantity of the vitamins, but the quality. Doesnt matter if you have a bunch of something if you wont absorb it
Agreed, but with respect to bioavailability, Opti-men is considered one of, if not the best. It's why I called them out. Some of our "best" supps are are guilty

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Orange Triad, Orthocore, Animal Pak, Anavite, SAN Dr Feelgood, Life Force, NOW Adam are all decent choices

BURNT DICE

BURNT DICE

Awards
Your best bet is to just get centrum or One-a-day actually. I'm sorry, I can't find the article right now, but last year I read that an article where scientists rounded up every multivitamin (there are hundres) in the us and tested them against the claims on their bottle and the vast majority were way off. Some had dangerous levels of some vitamins like iron, a few had hundreds of times more lead than legally allowed. The thing that stuck out in my mind the most from the article was that it said of all the vitamins, the most accurate and best multi's were from the two major brands mentioned above and the smaller companies were amongst the worst.

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
There are more bioavailable options

anabolicRyan1

Awards
  • Established
Dice. Negitive pal. Centrum has almost no bioavailibillity. Complete ****.

Check out a company called greens+. Or source of life. For phenomenal vitamin products.

Cooky in reading all your posts you are on the money. Way to carry the flag of reason.

Pure. Your a D1CK! I love it. It's your thread and you have every right to tell people no opinion's. Lol. Everybody else just has the right to post whatever they want.

So for the record, Mega dosing fishoil works better then anything I've personally ever used for way more then just cognitive function. For me there is deffinitely an anabolic/hormonal effect. I don't do it very often or for longer then 2 weeks at a time. But when I do, damn.

purebred

Pure. Your a D1CK! I love it. It's your thread and you have every right to tell people no opinion's. Lol. Everybody else just has the right to post whatever they want.
LOL thank you for your straightforwardness. It's not my intention to be harsh but opinions don't answer the question posed in this thread--research does. If we all contribute a bit of research here and there along with sharing our views on the research being presented then I'm certain we can find some commonalities regarding EPA/DHA dosage regimens.

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
LOL thank you for your straightforwardness. It's not my intention to be harsh but opinions don't answer the question posed in this thread--research does. If we all contribute a bit of research here and there along with sharing our views on the research being presented then I'm certain we can find some commonalities regarding EPA/DHA dosage regimens.
Ive found you quite amusing as well :p

BURNT DICE

BURNT DICE

Awards
Centrum?

/facepalm
I'm serious, it's true. I know it's not cool to pimp those basic brands but the problem is that the labels on most multi's just aren't accurate and often dangerously so. This makes sense when u think about it because its tough to accurately pack the exact amounts u say you are in those little pills. Unlike the smaller companies, the major ones have the resources to Lab test every batch. Also, anyone can stuff anything in a bottle and slap a label on it in the us. I'ts completely unregulated. Unless someone actually tests the #%^*+ you can only take their word for it. I'm gonna dig up that article and get back to u on that.

As for high potency/efficacy/bioavailability the two most respected pumped multi's for bodybuilders are Opti-men and animal pak as far as I have read, but perhaps things have chained over the past year.

Before I went on cycle I did a baseline blood test. I had been using Optimen for a couple months. The one knock on Optimen (nutritionaly) was that it is uneccesarily high in b vitamins. Bodybuilders aim for lots of b vitamins for obvious reasons. When my results came in I went in to talk to my doctor and she told me that my b vitamin levels were too high (everything else was great though) and asked if I might know why, and I told her. She wasn't overly concerned and said my liver values were fine, but that taking too many vitamins caused extra work for your liver and said I should probably dial it down a bit to be safe. I'm not knocking Optimen though ...they tell u right on the bottle the real amounts, and yes, their b's are very high, but otherwise it has tons of bioavailble ingredients. The reason that the more common vitamins are knocked isn't really the quality as much as they are synthetic versions of the vitamins. The problem with this is that ur body can only absorb so much of the synthetic version an most of the rest is wasted. To get around this you can split them up thru the day to help though.

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Look into co-enzymated forms of vitamins. You can purchase whatever you wish

anabolicRyan1

Awards
  • Established
Exactly. Look up the two I said. Anybody and everybody.

You will thank me later. That and fish oil ironically are the best products I've ever used.

Meanwhile, Pure. I'm trying to do some real research for you. However I'm so lazy when it comes to citing erg... And secondly your falling into a really gray relm.

If big pharma isn't going to benefit from research related to fishoil, it won't be done/released. Sad but true. If people were easily able to understand and acess the benefits of it a lot of people would be taking it and way healthier.

Also I think they just released a prescription fish oil pill. Lavasomething

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The prescription fishoil pills arent even as good as the better OTC pills on the market

Just a way for them to make money on an unaware public

purebred

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade or show anybody up but it should be noted that recommending any sort of multivitamin/mineral product containing synthetic ingredients, especially synthetic vitamin sources, is a bad practice and nonsensical.

It's common, readily accessible knowledge that vitamins in their natural form contain much higher bioavailability than their man-made synthetic counterparts. That's an irrefutable fact.

BURNT DICE

BURNT DICE

Awards
I SAID that centrum has low bioavailability, that's not what I'm saying and not my point though. The point that researchers are making is that bioavailability or not, if the labels are lying how can u know it's any good. Also, avoiding the marketing hype is exactly right. It's why u should really only trust third party research labs who actually test this stuff. For example consumer labs/consumer research, otherwise ya, ur just buying into marketing hype and broscience. Also, just because something is low bioavailability doesn't mean it is low quality, it just means that you absorb less of it.

http://www.consumersearch.com/multivitamins/review

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Agreed, but with respect to bioavailability, Opti-men is considered one of, if not the best. It's why I called them out. Some of our "best" supps are are guilty
Opti-men has very poor bioavailability with most forms they are using.

Centrum is a damn trustworthy brand, but their multi sucks.

purebred

My message was not meant for you, BD. My apologies for the typo. I can see why you would think it was directed at you. It was meant to be more of a "FYI" (i.e. for everyone's information) post.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade or show anybody up but it should be noted that recommending any sort of multivitamin/mineral product containing synthetic ingredients, especially synthetic vitamin sources, is a bad practice and nonsensical.

It's common, readily accessible knowledge that vitamins in their natural form contain much higher bioavailability than their man-made synthetic counterparts. That's an irrefutable fact.
In foods yes, due to the "synergy" of the vitamins, antioxidants, macronutrients, etc..The ratios are what count here.

A multi composed of only natural vitamins/minerals is no better than a synethic vitamin.

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
In foods yes, due to the "synergy" of the vitamins, antioxidants, macronutrients, etc..The ratios are what count here.

A multi composed of only natural vitamins/minerals is no better than a synethic vitamin.
Correct. Lots of misinformation going on in this thread being tossed around as fact

anabolicRyan1

Awards
  • Established
Nice link to oregon state university!

Seperatly.
Are you seriously supporting "a multi composed of only natural vitamins/minerals is no better then a synthetic vitamin"?!?!?!?

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Jesus Christ @ this thread. Can't believe some of the things i'm reading.

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

purebred

Fact or Fiction: Natural forms of vitamins are utilized more efficiently by the body.

I am genuinely interested in what supporting evidence one would present if the answer given was "Fiction".

BURNT DICE

BURNT DICE

Awards
At face value I think the answer to that is, fact.

But if you want to compare synthetic vit c to vit c extracted from an orange, the are the same. Your talking about something that is molecularly identical. That is not to say that taking synthetic vit c is just as good as eating an orange. There is a whole lot more at play there. Also, how much ur body absorbs something can depend on on what else you are taking to compliment it. Take calcium and vit d for example. If you take calcium pills but no vit D you won't absorb it. Instead of the calcium going into your bones it gets deposited in your blood vessels as plaque...a bad thing! Multis are Good at filling in the blanks for the major nutrients needed, which is why the major vanilla brands are better. You are better eating a balanced diet and taking a basic inexpensive multi. The vast majority of the "natural" multi's are in fact synthetic anyway. You might as well go for something that is at least accurate and independantly verified by an unbiased tester IMO.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
I buy VITAMIN CODE FOR MEN which is made from all whole food organic raw ingredients, but am interested in ORANGE TRIAD. It might be a bit less money. This one I am using is 30 bucks a pop.

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I buy VITAMIN CODE FOR MEN which is made from all whole food organic raw ingredients, but am interested in ORANGE TRIAD. It might be a bit less money. This one I am using is 30 bucks a pop.
Ot is around $23 for 45 days. I used to take Garden of Life as well before making the switch, from personal experience I think you will like the change.

If you give it a shot, let me know what you think

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
I will get it as soon as I am low, and yes I will let you know how I like it. How do you dose it? Do you divide it up, or all at once? Rightnow I take 3 caps daily divided into 3 doses.

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I prefer 2/2/2 breakfast, lunch, dinner for OT. Spread that dosage out to maximize absorption

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Thanks I will. How is the EFA Product for Cont. Labs?

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks I will. How is the EFA Product for Cont. Labs?
One of the best on the market. Very high epa+dha and third party tested for purity unlike most omegas (most either dont test or do in house testing)

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
For years I assumed 2.5 gms/day of Nutrapanet’s brand and a healthy diet and cardio was good enough; then came the quadruple bypass on 1/7/2011. The statins make me ill, so, after surgery, I had to try something else.

I did a little research here’s a summary of what I found out. For most people with no KNOWN risk factors the American Heart Association recommends eating fish 3/week. Knowing all your risk factors can be a little tricky ( thought I was OK). For those of us who fall into that category the AHA recommends 1 gram of combined DHA and EPA. Since NP (and most brands) I’ve seen have about 300mg of DHA/EPA per gm of fish oil that would mean about 3.3 gms of fish oil/day.

http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/106/21/2747

That’s the most objective research I’ve found.
If you take into account the previous discussions about the ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 then what you really need can vary so I’m going on the premise, to be safe, 3.3gms/day is the minimum.

Other claims I’ve heard is that Krill Oil is better. I’ve never seen anything conclusive about this. It only has about half the omega’s as fish oil. Another is omega’s extracted from squid has about 3x the DHA as fish oil.

So who to believe? To be safe I take all 3: 4 gms of NP fish oil, 1 gm Krill, 1.5 grms squid and 1 gm Niacin.
Where has it gotten me? I’m not sure since I’m still a work in progress. 6 wks after surgery my HDL/LDL went from 25mg/185mg to 51mg/147 which is pretty good for most people. 3 months after it dropped to 41mg/157mg. My cardiologist says that it’s normal to drop like that. I’ll be taking it again the end of this month and then revaluate it.

Another effect on lipids from the AHA. Contrary to popular opinion it turns out testosterone actually helps (that doesn’t mean you should run out and to a cycle, I think there is a limit).
http://atvb.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/short/11/2/307

BURNT DICE

BURNT DICE

Awards
For years I assumed 2.5 gms/day of Nutrapanet’s brand and a healthy diet and cardio was good enough; then came the quadruple bypass on 1/7/2011. The statins make me ill, so, after surgery, I had to try something else.

I did a little research here’s a summary of what I found out. For most people with no KNOWN risk factors the American Heart Association recommends eating fish 3/week. Knowing all your risk factors can be a little tricky ( thought I was OK). For those of us who fall into that category the AHA recommends 1 gram of combined DHA and EPA. Since NP (and most brands) I’ve seen have about 300mg of DHA/EPA per gm of fish oil that would mean about 3.3 gms of fish oil/day.

http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/106/21/2747

That’s the most objective research I’ve found.
If you take into account the previous discussions about the ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 then what you really need can vary so I’m going on the premise, to be safe, 3.3gms/day is the minimum.

Other claims I’ve heard is that Krill Oil is better. I’ve never seen anything conclusive about this. It only has about half the omega’s as fish oil. Another is omega’s extracted from squid has about 3x the DHA as fish oil.

So who to believe? To be safe I take all 3: 4 gms of NP fish oil, 1 gm Krill, 1.5 grms squid and 1 gm Niacin.
Where has it gotten me? I’m not sure since I’m still a work in progress. 6 wks after surgery my HDL/LDL went from 25mg/185mg to 51mg/147 which is pretty good for most people. 3 months after it dropped to 41mg/157mg. My cardiologist says that it’s normal to drop like that. I’ll be taking it again the end of this month and then revaluate it.

Another effect on lipids from the AHA. Contrary to popular opinion it turns out testosterone actually helps (that doesn’t mean you should run out and to a cycle, I think there is a limit).
http://atvb.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/short/11/2/307
Good info and good luck to you!

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Yes, thanks for the valuable input. Take care and get well.

purebred

Getting back to the original matter at hand.

On pg. 2 of this thread, TheLastRonin posted a link (http://www.psycheducation.org/depres...ds/Omega-3.htm) which links to various other links containing studies conducted on individuals whom which the majority were suffering from depression. While going over the studies I picked up on what I thought to be a trend: strictly referring to individuals with the mental disorders listed in the link provided above, there seems to be a bit of a bell curve involved. In multiple case, the group receiving the low/moderate amount of fish oil/EPA+DHA responded more favorably than the other groups.

One study that pops out at me is the following. Cliff's notes: dosage regimen consisted of 4.4 grams EPA/ 2.2 grams DHA for depression. Significant benefits versus placebo by week 4, bigger yet by week 8.

Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2003 Aug;13(4):267-71.
Omega-3 fatty acids in major depressive disorder. A preliminary double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.
Su KP, Huang SY, Chiu CC, Shen WW.

Department of Psychiatry, China Medical College Hospital, No. 2, Yuh-Der Road, Taichung 404, Taiwan. [email protected]

Erratum in
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2004 Mar;14(2):173.

Abstract
Patients with depression have been extensively reported to be associated with the abnormality of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), including significantly low eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid in cell tissue contents (red blood cell membrane, plasma, etc.) and dietary intake. However, more evidence is needed to support its relation. In this study, we conducted an 8-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial, comparing omega-3 PUFAs (6.6 g/day) [corrected] with placebo, on the top of the usual treatment, in 28 patients with major depressive disorder. Patients in the omega-3 PUFA group had a significantly decreased score on the 21-item Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression than those in the placebo group (P < 0.001). From the preliminary findings in this study, omega-3 PUFAs could improve the short-term course of illness and were well tolerated in patients with major depressive disorder.

PMID: 12888186 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Two other studies administered 4g EPA/2g DHA & 2.2g EPA/1.2g DHA, respectively. It is important to note both these studies conducted the research on pregnant & depressed women.

Read:

Omega-3's as Antidepressant in Pregnancy: A Case Report

(letter) Chiu CC, Huang SY, Shen WW, Su KP Omega-3 fatty acids for depression in pregnancy. Am J Psychiatry. 2003 Feb;160(2):385

This is the story of a woman in China who had a previous depression during pregnancy, lasting 9 months after the pregnancy, and finally then recovering -- without medication treatment. Then she had two more episodes of depression while not pregnant, which responded to paroxetine (Paxil in the U.S.).

But when she became depressed during another pregnancy, she did not want to take medications for fear that they might harm her baby. So, these doctors offered her the Omega-3 option, as they had been studying this approach in other patients (see the Omega-3 table: Su, 2003).

The dose was 4 g of ethyl eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and 2 g of docosahexanoic acid (DHA) per day. Note that if you were taking a 1-gram fish oil capsule containing a total of 250 mg of Omega-3's (e.g. Costco's Kirkland brand), you would have to take 24 capsules per day to get this dose. Burp.

She did not improve until the 4th week of this treatment, when her depression score (HAM-D) went from 29 to 18. By week 6 her score was 10, and she reached "remission" -- a depression score of 7 -- by the 10th week.

Was it really the omega-3's that did this? The doctors concluded yes:

Since the patient received regular follow-up for 6 weeks before treatment with omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, it is unlikely that the remarkable improvement was due to the clinical attention of regular visits. Because the patient had a depressive episode during her first pregnancy and after childbirth, we do not think that she had a spontaneous remission from this episode.

In their conclusion, the doctors wonder whether the developing fetus might actually take omega-3's from mother, lowering her levels, and making her more susceptible to depression (numbers in parentheses are in their letter's references):

Reduced maternal DHA status after the second trimester (4) is associated with a high demand from the developing fetus for the rapid formation of its brain. Empirical studies of polyunsaturated fatty acids in the tissues (5), data from epidemiological surveys (6), and results of therapeutic trials of polyunsaturated fatty acids (1) suggest that a deficit in omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids might cause major depressive disorder (7, 8). Supplementation with omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids is thought to have protective effects for pregnancy outcome in high-risk pregnancy (2).
J Clin Psychiatry. 2008 Apr;69(4):644-51.
Omega-3 fatty acids for major depressive disorder during pregnancy: results from a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.
Su KP, Huang SY, Chiu TH, Huang KC, Huang CL, Chang HC, Pariante CM.
Source

Department of Psychiatry and Mind-Body Interface Research Centre, China Medical University Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan. [email protected]

Abstract
BACKGROUND: Perinatal depression is common, and treatment remains challenging. Depression has been reported to be associated with the abnormality of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs). A profound decrease of omega-3 PUFAs in the mother during pregnancy is associated with the higher demand of fetal development and might precipitate the occurrence of depression. In this study, we examined the efficacy of omega-3 PUFA monotherapy for the treatment of depression during pregnancy.

METHOD: From June 2004 to June 2006, we conducted an 8-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial comparing omega-3 PUFAs (3.4 g/d) with placebo in pregnant women with major depressive disorder (DSM-IV criteria). No psychotropic agent was given 1 month prior to or during the study period. The Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression (HAM-D) was scored every other week as the primary measurement of efficacy, while the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale (EPDS) and Beck Depression Inventory (BDI) were secondary measures.

RESULTS: Thirty-six subjects were randomly assigned to either omega-3 PUFAs or placebo, and 33 among them were evaluated in more than 2 visits. A total of 24 subjects completed the study. As compared to the placebo group, subjects in the omega-3 group had significantly lower HAM-D scores at weeks 6 (p = .001) and 8 (p = .019), a significantly higher response rate (62% vs. 27%, p = .03), and a higher remission rate, although the latter did not reach statistical significance (38% vs. 18%, p = .28). At the study end point, subjects in the omega-3 group also had significantly lower depressive symptom ratings on the EPDS and BDI. The omega-3 PUFAs were well tolerated and there were no adverse effects on the subjects and newborns.

CONCLUSIONS: Omega-3 PUFAs may have therapeutic benefits in depression during pregnancy. In regard to the safety issue and psychotherapeutic effect, as well as health promotion to mothers and their newborns, it is worthy to conduct replication studies in a larger sample with a broad regimen of omega-3 PUFAs in pregnant women with depression.

TRIAL REGISTRATION: clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT00618865.

Comment in
J Clin Psychiatry. 2008 Apr;69(4):633-4.

PMID: 18370571 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Regardless what jumps out at me is how indispensible this stuff is. It just seems research is still ongoing to figure out the optimum dose is for the condition the person needs it for most. Doctors even prescribe Fish oil for a premium price I might add when it can be purchased for a fraction of what those bastards are charging for it. Its so frustrating to see that.

BURNT DICE

BURNT DICE

Awards
Yeah, I've seen this commercial where they sell fish oil with some pharmaceutical in it, I'm guessing a kind of anti-statin. Can't remember what it's called, but it just reinforces to me that fish oil is the real answer and just start with it as a staple in your diet long before you ever develop cardiovascular issues. Researchers are actually starting to believe that fish oil is even more powerful than the drugs:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/31/health/31iht-fishoil31.15772043.html

For me, I have an autoimmune disease, and have all my life; Psoriasic Arthritis (A kind of Rheumatoid Arthritis but it's not THAT bad). A big factor in the conditions of chronic diseases like mine as well as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and others is inflammtion. The drugs doctors prescribe work to ease the symptoms of these diseases, but they don't treat the root cause...the inflammation. Fish oil (and other anti-inflammatory foods, but I think fish oil is the best) reduces inflammation in the body reducing many of these kinds of diseases. I noticed after about a month on fish oil my joints feel more lubed and, it's hard to described but I just feel more relaxed inside. Mentally I felt a little sharper too. I'm not gonna go off topic, but I'm also a strong believer in green tea, the drink more so than the extracted supp. I drink 3-5 cups a day.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
One of the best on the market. Very high epa+dha and third party tested for purity unlike most omegas (most either dont test or do in house testing)
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/controlled-labs/158500-lab-test-heavy.html

FDA upper level for mercury (methyl mercury which is only a small part of total mercury) = 1 mcg/g per day, we are at only 6% of that per day for a full serving (2 softgels). for reference a can of albacore tuna (6 ounces) is roughly 35% of your daily limit (so a serving of orange oximega fish oil only has 17% of the mercury found in a can of tuna)

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/P.../ucm115644.htm

the amount per serving is also only 20% of the strictest California proposition 65 level of .3 mcg per day (of methyl mercury, again only a small part of total mercury)

The Adequate Intake (AI) levels for chromium, set in 2001 by the Institute of Medicine at the National Academy of Sciences is 20-35 mcg per day so each serving of Orange Oximega Fish Oil provides roughly 25% of that intake (roughly as much as 1 cup of romaine lettuce). chromium has been found to be safe in the multiple 100s of mcg per day

The other heavy metals/toxins were below the detectable limits :)

BURNT DICE

BURNT DICE

Awards
This is recent news. If you are taking things that can trash your triglycerides and lipids (like many here are :laugh:), your probably better to err to the higher sides of the dosages IMO. Also, the AHA and other health organizations tend to be conservative in nature in what they recommend.

American Heart Association Issues First-Ever Statement for Management of Trigylcerides Including Omega-3 EPA/DHA

The American Heart Association (AHA) recently issued its first ever statement on triglyceride management that includes recommendations for Omega-3 EPA/DHA intake. Elevated triglyceride levels have long been associated with cardiovascular disease (CVD). According to the AHA more than 31% of the United States population has borderline high triglyceride levels. Furthermore, AHA’s 2006 statistical data estimates that 81,100,000 people in the United States have one or more forms of cardiovascular disease, claiming 831,272 lives in that same year.

In conjunction with other important lifestyle changes, the AHA recommends 0.5 - 1g of Omega-3 EPA and DHA for individuals with borderline fasting triglyceride levels (150-199mg/dL), 1 - 2g for individuals with high fasting triglyceride levels (200-499mg/dL), and 2 - 4g for individuals with very high fasting triglyceride levels (≥500mg/dL). The AHA has also previously recommended that normal healthy individuals consume a variety of fish (preferably oily), and a daily intake of 1g of Omega-3 EPA and DHA for patients with documented coronary heart disease.

The recent statement issued by AHA is a very positive step for improving consumers’ understanding of the role of triglycerides in CVD management. Although awareness of the health benefits of Omega-3 is very high among consumers, many still do not understand the different forms of Omega-3 (EPA, DHA and ALA), or the health benefits of each.

It is important for consumers to understand that fish provides both EPA and DHA, whereas most algae sources provide only DHA. Furthermore, while ALA is an essential fatty acid, many of the reported health benefits associated with Omega-3 have been the result of supplementation with EPA and DHA. While the body can theoretically convert ALA into EPA and DHA, the actual conversion rate is very low. In fact, many studies suggest that the conversion rate can be as low as 1% or less. As such, fish, fish oil supplements, and food products fortified with fish oil are the best sources of Omega-3 for consumers.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Outstanding!! Score one for the home team.

BURNT DICE

BURNT DICE

Awards
You specifically mentioned you were looking for info for mental diseases, cognitive function, etc.. While the following does NOT recommend specific doses, I think it may interest you as the study shows that it is the EPA that provides the cognitive benefits of Omega3 fish oil. DHA alone doesn't! DHA is considred better for cadiovascular health though. I got this link from meg-3's website. The are not a supplement company but rather a manufaturer of fish oil that the supp companies buy their oil from. The are considered by many to be the industry leader in quality, but I've noticed the brands that use their oil tend to be more expensive.

http://www.ocean-nutrition.com/press/view/researchers_confirm_omega_3_epa_required_for_antidepressant_benefits

DICE

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
Kind of what i said. The AHA is a little conservative but also pretty respectable. That's why I came to the conclusion that 3 grams of omega's/day is the bare minimum. Triglycerides are one thing I don't have any problems with. Loading up with the fish oil can get a little pricey but you can't lift without a heart. I was pretty damn lucky I didn't have any heart damage, just the 5 arteries.