Stupid beef question

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I read that 100g raw beef will yield about 65g cooked. What I don't understand is do or don't the nutritional values become altered when the beef is cooked or is the meat losing water only?

Additionally, if the label doesn't say values are for cooked or uncooked, am I to assume they are listed for raw beef?

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
I'm no expert obviously, but it does lose a bit of water, and the label applies for raw beef.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
You count the raw value, then you subtract some amount for rendered out fat from the beef. The fat content slightly lowers depending on how its cooked.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
The beef fat thats left over can be used to cook other things. Vegetables are a prime candidate for this. The fat thats left over is usually very flavorful. Another use for it is eggs, incorporating aromatics like garlic or onion into it and making into a dressing, or pouring it back on your food.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
So what is the best method of preparation in regards to keeping the nutritional profile intact?

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
So what is the best method of preparation in regards to keeping the nutritional profile intact?
Just calculate it from raw, and subtract the fat as best you can. If you're cooking a lean piece of beef like a round roast, you won't loose much fat but if you're cooking up ground beef, you will lose alot of fat (For values , see the link above)

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Hamburgers probably. What kind of cut are you using?

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Cook your vegetables in it after, I use a 80-20 and theres always fat in the pan. Don't cook it too high, it will squeeze the fat out quicker. You'll always lose some fat, the best you can do is cook another food in the fat.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I eat all my veggies raw. :(
I guess I'll just need to compensate with an extra 100 calories or so somewhere else. It's difficult because there is so much varying information out there. For instance, the beef I buy states that it holds 204 calories per quarter pound, then I look on caloriecount and it says pan browned 85/15 holds 218 for 3 ounces, cooked!

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Do you eat eggs? If you do you can cook them in the beef fat. They pull it in pretty well.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
I've read some conflicting things about MCT's. I'll post info when I can find it.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Sure no problem. I'll post them as soon as I find them after the Giants game is done.

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
Well the only point I can find against it is that MCT's are treated as carbohydrates in a way because of their quicker digestion, different pathway of digestion and the body's preference to burn them off first.

Thats the only thing I can find against it. MCT's are however more ketogenic than other fats could possibly help get into ketosis faster. Can't find anything else really. I think i'll start incorporating them myself.

landfill

Awards
I read that 100g raw beef will yield about 65g cooked. What I don't understand is do or don't the nutritional values become altered when the beef is cooked or is the meat losing water only?

Additionally, if the label doesn't say values are for cooked or uncooked, am I to assume they are listed for raw beef?
Nutritional values on labels are always for raw,unless stated otherwise.When cooking meat/fish there is weight loss because the tissue cells,when subjected to heat,contract and burst,releasing liquid,which is why well cooked meat is dryer than rare cooked meat

When calculating the nutrient content of a meal,you should always use the labels values,as several samples of that specific cut will have been taken and tested,and an average nutritional value established.

There are in fact nutrients in the liquid that gets released[protein,vitamins minerals]though in quite small quantities. Cooking meat also renders out the fat,the more its cooked,the more fat comes out.

Cooked protein is easier to digest than raw protein,but it does mean that it alters the nutrient profile slightly,esp regarding fat content.If you're on the anabolic diet and want to keep the fat content intact,then probably the best is to make burgers.If you cant eat them rare,then medium cooked would be the best compromise.

Hope that helps.