RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thread summary:

I subscribed to these monthly study reviews from someone I like to peruse on social media.

I find snippets of useful information and of course, some 'no sh#t' info.

I am unsure if I am going to continue the subscription - however, if a few people find value of it here, I will maintain them and share them*.

What do you think of the results of his studies? Do you find value or criticism?

Do you want me to share anymore?

*The author gives consent to share his work.

Study 1:

Does a Regular Feeding Schedule Increase the Thermic Effect of Food?

Study 2:

Does Changing Up Your Resistance Training Program Frequently Lead to Better Muscle Hypertrophy Gains?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Study 1:

Study 1 Reviewed:

Impact of isoenergetic intake of irregular meal patterns on thermogenesis, glucose metabolism, and appetite: a randomized controlled trial (Alhussain, et al., 2022)

Opinions
"I also have data from my own research laboratory on marginal increases in energy expenditure from a caffeine-containing supplement leading to significant losses of body fat over an 8-week period. A serving of a caffeine-containing supplement (when extrapolated over a 24-hour period) only increased metabolic rate by about 13 calories per hour, but when this same caffeine-containing supplement was given each day for 8 consecutive weeks it resulted in a loss of about 1.5 pounds (0.7 kgs) of body fat which was significantly more than a placebo supplement that did not lose any body fat.

For a beginning dieter, I would not implement a meal timing strategy!"

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Study 2:
Does Changing Up Your Resistance Training Program Frequently Lead to Better Muscle Hypertrophy Gains?

Study 2 Link
: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35092084/

Who was in the study?
20 resistance trained males (in their mid-20s). Their average resistance training experience was 2.5 years, and they were non-enhanced (not taking anabolic steroids).

What did the researchers do?
Compared the effects of a lower-body resistance training program that did not change any of the training variables [SAME program] to another lower-body resistance training program that was constantly changing some of the training variables [CHANGING program].

Opinions:

"While there seems to be no detriment to shifting up the workouts every session based on this short-term study, I notice the athletes who partake in this training style seem to have more trouble making progress long-term compared to those who bunker down with a program for the long haul."

"I think most people would be better served by sticking to their current program for a longer period and trying to get as much out of that program before starting a completely new program."

^^ in short, supports progressive overload.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I definitely wouldn't try to put a random person onto meal timing. First you gotta make sure someone can even stick like 80% to there diet in the first place. If you take joe smo who doesn't follow a normal meal plan or even the basic 3 meals a day and you try to give him a diet with specific feeding times or windows he's going to be way more likely to fail. He'll, I been following meal plans for years and it's still hard to stick to a feeding schedule.

But any time I'm following the plan to the T and not cheating or missing meals, thsts when progress is at its fastest. No doubt

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Study 1:

Study 1 Reviewed:

Impact of isoenergetic intake of irregular meal patterns on thermogenesis, glucose metabolism, and appetite: a randomized controlled trial (Alhussain, et al., 2022)

View attachment 227803
View attachment 227804

View attachment 227805
View attachment 227806

Opinions
"I also have data from my own research laboratory on marginal increases in energy expenditure from a caffeine-containing supplement leading to significant losses of body fat over an 8-week period. A serving of a caffeine-containing supplement (when extrapolated over a 24-hour period) only increased metabolic rate by about 13 calories per hour, but when this same caffeine-containing supplement was given each day for 8 consecutive weeks it resulted in a loss of about 1.5 pounds (0.7 kgs) of body fat which was significantly more than a placebo supplement that did not lose any body fat.

For a beginning dieter, I would not implement a meal timing strategy!"
This is a pretty small study, but I wonder what could be the mechanics behind a gram of protein, carbohydrate or fat suddenly taking less energy to digest is. Now I could see if the 6 meals were so frequent digestion was not done by the time of the next feeding increasing. Also this is irregular feedings as opposed to say eating your calories within a regular window like most IF is done. Very interesting but feels a bit incomplete with no explanation of how less frequent meals make the body more efficient at processing nutrients.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
This is a pretty small study, but I wonder what could be the mechanics behind a gram of protein, carbohydrate or fat suddenly taking less energy to digest is. Now I could see if the 6 meals were so frequent digestion was not done by the time of the next feeding increasing. Also this is irregular feedings as opposed to say eating your calories within a regular window like most IF is done. Very interesting but feels a bit incomplete with no explanation of how less frequent meals make the body more efficient at processing nutrients.
I didn't fully read the study so I gotta go back but I wonder if the meals were controlled. A protein heavy meal will burn more calories during digestion then a carb or fat heavy meal. Protein takes more energy to digest. Did it say if the meals contents were controlled? I was under the impression that it said more frequent meals burned more calories. The digestion process itself has to use calories to perform its job. ..

I'm assuming too much about the study IL be back after I read it again lol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I didn't fully read the study so I gotta go back but I wonder if the meals were controlled. A protein heavy meal will burn more calories during digestion then a carb or fat heavy meal. Protein takes more energy to digest. Did it say if the meals contents were controlled? I was under the impression that it said more frequent meals burned more calories. The digestion process itself has to use calories to perform its job. ..

I'm assuming too much about the study IL be back after I read it again lol
It said the same foods, but did not mention how much per feeding or anything. Just that more frequent regular feedings caused a higher TEF. It also didn't mention if they were doing any structured fasting or just eating willy nilly anywhere from 3-9 meals which is kind of what it seemed like. I wouldn't say from what I read it was structured to figure that out very well, or for that matter if that was the purpose of the study or just a secondary observation considering they chose insulin resistant people for some reason which shouldn't be related to a study finding TEF anyway.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
It said the same foods, but did not mention how much per feeding or anything. Just that more frequent regular feedings caused a higher TEF. It also didn't mention if they were doing any structured fasting or just eating willy nilly anywhere from 3-9 meals which is kind of what it seemed like. I wouldn't say from what I read it was structured to figure that out very well, or for that matter if that was the purpose of the study or just a secondary observation considering they chose insulin resistant people for some reason which shouldn't be related to a study finding TEF anyway.
Aight, I'm gonna dig back into the studyvin a bit. I skimmed it without really digging in

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Aight, I'm gonna dig back into the studyvin a bit. I skimmed it without really digging in
Maybe you will see something I missed. I skimmed twice looking for some key things but didn't commit thoroughly reading it once I saw it missing things I thought important to know.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I did notice they only measured TEF 3 hours post feeding but not which feeding, if eating 6 meals a day there is sure to be some overlap there. Also if there was a large bolus of food from a larger meal on the irregular feeding schedule this would slow down the speed at which the food is allowed to enter the small intestines which could easily effect the perceived TEF due to some of the food still being in the stomach at that time as opposed to being let go into the intestines. I think they would need to kind of monitor around a 24 hor period to get more accurate data that takes into account what happens differently with a small-normal size meal, and a large meal where the body intentionally slows the digestive process so no food eaten is wasted.

lamarclark09

Awards
The study overall seems okay. The feeding schedules seem quite hard because yes it’s not so easy to stick to the plan without fail. And with feeding schedules, it’s significantly harder to not fall off track because it’s just too much work. But if someone can actually pull that off no doubt it's gonna show some good results.