Any Studies that Show 4-6 Weeks is the Optimal Training Time?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

I was reading Ben Pakulski's "Mi40 Book."

He states, "Research done by Viiru et al, in 2006, shows that the body has reached its climax for muscular and neurological adaptation at this point."

He also cites: Tudor Bompa’s book Periodization, to show this.

1. Can anyone show me this actual study? I cannot seem to find it on PubMed, Elsevier, etc. at least not yet.

2. Can any of you agree, or disagree, with actual evidence-based studies, meta-studies, etc.?

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
what are you even saying? 4-6 weeks before deload?

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
what are you even saying? 4-6 weeks before deload?
I think that’s what he’s asking.

OP, A lot of programs that have structured deload weeks tend to do them around this mark. This tends to work perfect for me. For example, let’s take one lift on one day:

Week 1: Take each set to an RPE of 6-7
Week 2: Take each set to an RPE of 7-8
Week 3: Take each set to an RPE of 9-10
Week 4: Deload

This is grossly over-simplified. But you get the gist. Again, just what works for me.

I suggest tuning into podcasts such as Stronger by Science, Iron Culture, etc. If you have the funds, subscribe to MASS from Greg Nuckols, Eric Trexler, Eric Helms, and Mike Zourdous. A lot of your questions are frequently addressed either in those podcasts, or in MASS.

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
That's actually what popular programs like Hypertrophy Max do for each month of their 12 month program:

For example, "Month 1, Tension Focus"

Week 1: Use Programmed Sets (1-2 Sets, Nothing Forced)
Week 2: Add One Set (More Focus on Perfect Form)
Week 3: Add Yet One More Set (Focus On Perfect Form, Force Reps only if form perfect"
Week 4: Deload"

It sounds like this model is popular and effective.