LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Got all the info for the new job, start Tuesday at 7am and it's a 1hr 45min ride each way. So I gotta start getting up at 4am and leave my house by 5 am and then I was told there's usually traffic on the way home and the ride home takes an extra 20 to 30 minutes most days. So I'm basically going to be gone from 5:00 in the morning till 5:30 at night when they do 8 hour days and gone till 7:30 at night when they do 10 hour days.

So by the time I get home I basically need to eat and go to sleep because I have to get up and go back to work again the next day.

I'm so glad I signed up for this lol.

First line of business, cleaning all the tools and everything out of my truck tomorrow. Going to Walmart to get 2 air tight extra large storage bins. One for clean clothes and gym clothes and the other for my boxing equipment and weight lifting gear.

Then off to dicks sporting goods to get a big rolling cooler and a ton of refreezable ice packs.

Meal 1 on the drive in will probably be a shake

Meal 2 and 3 will eat at work

Meal 4 on the ride home

Meal 5 before bed

We gonna make this work

You may have to resort back to doing a couple of shakes here and there or packing fruit and protein bars or something.

One way or another il figure it out. The job is very labor intensive so cutting just got easier.
With the price of gas that’s going to be a painful commute cost!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Rise and shine muthafluckas

Big workouts today.

I'm meeting someone in 20min to do a heavy full body day with all the basics and some fluff mixed in.

Then we're heading straight to the boxing gym to spar after.

Normally I would say this is a terrible idea but seeing how we're both going to do the same workout we're both at the same disadvantage LOL!

I also forgot to take my second daily dose last night so I took three pills this morning and I'm going to take three pills later today and then I'll go back to the normal dosing schedule

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
That's one heck of a workout!! Probably burned a ton of calories!!
This is kinda the norm for me lately, except usually I have 4 hours between boxing and lifting. I do 2 days with double workouts, and then 1-2 boxing only and 1-2 lifting only.

I could probably eat nothing but junk food and not get fat with this type of training.

Definitely not ideal for getting bigger lol but it seems really good to stay in shape maintain her maybe even increase strength as long as I'm eating enough. My strength is still going up but it was down a lot from the last cut that I did.

I wasn't going to weigh myself but I did this morning I'm only 193 lb still so benching 265 for sets of 6 is definitely not a PR for me but it's pretty good at this body weight for me.

I've been doing a lot of full bodies with focus on one thing or another but I think I'm just going to go straight full body from here on out because there's going to be times where I can only live twice a week I think.

Who knows, I really just need to start this new job so I can figure out my schedule a little bit better.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Man that is a lot of work, the two workouts back to back like that, but your numbers are still looking good. Oh and congratulations on being able to start a new job. Looks like your patience paid off.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Man that is a lot of work, the two workouts back to back like that, but your numbers are still looking good. Oh and congratulations on being able to start a new job. Looks like your patience paid off.
Yep, hope so lol. But thank you.

Lot of travel to start, by the end of the day tomorrow I should have my little painting truck stripped and turned into a mobile wardrobe and food storage truck. I'm going to basically make it so that I can live out of it temporarily in case of a emergency. By emergency I just mean being stuck on the road and having to eat, shower and change at a gym and stuff like that lol

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yep, hope so lol. But thank you.

Lot of travel to start, by the end of the day tomorrow I should have my little painting truck stripped and turned into a mobile wardrobe and food storage truck. I'm going to basically make it so that I can live out of it temporarily in case of a emergency. By emergency I just mean being stuck on the road and having to eat, shower and change at a gym and stuff like that lol
Definitely an overlooked thing for most people! If you live anywhere extremely hot or cold and have long drives it’s a smart idea to keep a homemade emergency type kit in the car.

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agree keep it up bro! It’s motivating me

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I know guys who have commutes like that. None of them are lifters or anything so they don't have to worrry about fitting training and diet into their routine/schedule. You'll do great though, and hopefully, before long, the company will find work for you that's closer to home.

Some of the guys I know rent a place near the jobsite and stay there during the week, rather than commute back and forth. With the cost of gas they might break close to even on cost that way, plus they have that travel time freed up to rest or do whatever else (or pick up OT). So that's a thought.

Also, might be worth finding a gym near the job site. After work you could lift there and let the traffic ease up before commuting back home.

I'm sure you'll figure it all out. Really psyched you're starting this new gig. You're gonna crush it!

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I know guys who have commutes like that. None of them are lifters or anything so they don't have to worrry about fitting training and diet into their routine/schedule. You'll do great though, and hopefully, before long, the company will find work for you that's closer to home.

Some of the guys I know rent a place near the jobsite and stay there during the week, rather than commute back and forth. With the cost of gas they might break close to even on cost that way, plus they have that travel time freed up to rest or do whatever else (or pick up OT). So that's a thought.

Also, might be worth finding a gym near the job site. After work you could lift there and let the traffic ease up before commuting back home.

I'm sure you'll figure it all out. Really psyched you're starting this new gig. You're gonna crush it!
Lots of the guys on my jobs travel 1-2 hours and end up car pooling, drinking beers and eating gas station food on the way home so it could be way worse. Construction workers tend to be degenerates lol

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Yep I know people who also buy a camper and find a campground near job sites. Then get a gym membership to use the shower and workout.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
As good as that training session was, it was most impressive to see it knocked out so fast. At a point it takes so much time & energy just to set up and tear down the barbells!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
As good as that training session was, it was most impressive to see it knocked out so fast. At a point it takes so much time & energy just to set up and tear down the barbells!
We did the first four exercises in a power rack so everything was kind of within arms reach. We also pissed off a lot of people taking up that much time with the power rack LOL.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Super lazy day, other then breakfast I ate all grilled meat and veggies all day and had some dessert, a lot of dessert actually 🤦 but I'm good with it. Tomorrow going for another full body workout and then I gotta finish getting the truck ready for the new job.

I rework my diet for ultimate convince and the guy that's been helping with my diet plan hates it lol. But I think it's necessary. Protein and calories are still on the money but it's less animal products and more plant based protein sources. I'm going to supplement that with a good amount of bcaa and eaa to make sure I'm always in a anabolic state. Or at least as much as possible.

How's everyone holiday weekend going.

Hope y'all being safe, there was 3 car accidents on my street today.

Dont drink and drive

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Ohhhhh, I forgot to mention that I got my mother making me her own jams, one strawberry and 1 fig. I. Going to make a couple natural pb and homemade jam sandwiches on that high protein bread.

Each sandwich will be about 500 cal and 30gm protein so one of those with a protein shake (the way I make them) on my drive to work will get me around 800 calories and 70gm protein to start my day

On break I'm going to have a protein bar and fruit giving 30pro and 500 calories

Lunch a salad with grilled chicken, cheese and Greek yogurt giving 500 cal and 60 protein

Another one of those PBJ on the ride home.

So going to the gym at this point il already have consumed 190 gm protein and 2100 calories.

Then il get the remaining 900 cal and 60+ gm protein with my post workout meal/meals.

I know it's definitely not a optimal diet but I think it can do the trick.

Lots of protein, lots of fiber, some fruits and vegetables.

Definitely more fat then I normally eat so I may have to adjust that depending on how it makes me feel.

Il probably be undereating on 3000 calories once the job starts anyways

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Ohhhhh, I forgot to mention that I got my mother making me her own jams, one strawberry and 1 fig. I. Going to make a couple natural pb and homemade jam sandwiches on that high protein bread.
Now that sounds good! I haven't had a pb&j in forever. I'm going to look for that high protein bread when I go to the grocery today!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Happy 4th

Week 1 in the books

Bodyweight 193.2 despite going over my estimated maintenance calories 2x so I'm definitely in a slight caloric deficit.

Screenshot_20220704-093936~2.png

Literally walking out the gym now, going to go make a grilled chicken wrap, a small spinach salad and eat some watermelon

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Some notes I wanna make.

Left shoulder is getting slightly sore lately, knees and lower back are too. Now I'm not talking injury or worried too much, but I think prevention measures are a good idea right now. I'm backing down the weight on some movements and going to work on improving strength in the 10-12 rep range,

Pressing movements
Squats
Any row that's not chest supported

Il keep arms and side laterals in the 12-15 range.

Can't risk injury right now.

I also think I'm going to start making Friday or Saturday a more leg focused day so I can get them growing again and have some rest days before work. If I hit them hard during the week I risk limping around at work and that's no good.

Also, Arachidonic acid. Everyone tells me it makes them hella sore but I'm not getting much soreness still. Not that I'm necessary looking for soreness lol. But maybe it's because I'm doing the full body stuff and not doing enough volume or intensity in a workout to get sore?

Also thought about doing the full body workouts like I already have and then add a 1 extra exercise at the end where I destroy a certain body part.

Just some ideas and thinking out loud

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I got never got DOMS or sore from ARA...it did make my joints hurt more than usual.
That could explain the knees and shoulders, but those are also 2 areas I always have some kind of issue with periodically through the year.

Il have to wait it out and see.

So far I have no complaints about the product. Even if ara does cause some minor joint pain I can work around that

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That could explain the knees and shoulders, but those are also 2 areas I always have some kind of issue with periodically through the year.

Il have to wait it out and see.

So far I have no complaints about the product. Even if ara does cause some minor joint pain I can work around that
Yep, that’s what I was going to say, that it could be what’s messing with your knees and shoulders. It will definitely amplify any arthritis or anything to do with inflammation.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Yep, that’s what I was going to say, that it could be what’s messing with your knees and shoulders. It will definitely amplify any arthritis or anything to do with inflammation.
And that makes perfect sense. Inflammation issues in my shoulders are a big thing for me. Il fight through it and if it starts getting bad il use bpc for a few weeks.

I do have Ways to deal with these things but I want to give a honest product review so I don't wanna change too many variables.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
And that makes perfect sense. Inflammation issues in my shoulders are a big thing for me. Il fight through it and if it starts getting bad il use bpc for a few weeks.

I do have Ways to deal with these things but I want to give a honest product review so I don't wanna change too many variables.
Yeah I know you have feet issues too, and so do I. When I tried ARA I did go ahead and keep taking for 5 weeks, but eventually my feet and even my toes started hurting worse than normal, so I had to call it quits.
As far as I can tell ARA is a great natural muscle builder as long as you’re not already dealing with inflammation issues.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Doing my best to eat right today. Bouncing through family cookouts, packed my cooler with some rosted vegetables and sweet potatoes with my Greek yogurt mix, then I'm just eating the grill food for protein sources
IMG_20220704_131155526~2.jpg

khall1974

khall1974

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Doing my best to eat right today. Bouncing through family cookouts, packed my cooler with some rosted vegetables and sweet potatoes with my Greek yogurt mix, then I'm just eating the grill food for protein sources
View attachment 218760
That is smart as hell. Do people look at you weird because you brought your food to a cookout?

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
No1 really can tell, there's like 8 coolers and everyone is drinking. My cooler is water and diet sodas so only the kids go in there lol. I threw 2 Tupperware with my stuff in that cooler
Works for me. Everyone should stay in their own lane. I’m not asking anyone else to eat what I eat so let me be

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Started the new job today, only slept 4.5 hours last night, after work drove straight to the boxing gym and did 6 half ass rounds on the bags and a little circuit of the wind bike, bodyweight squats and pushups, purely for cardio.

Home now grilling up some food

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Awesome way to celebrate new beginnings. How was the first day?
Weird, only 4 guys working on the site, it's a new site that started today, 2 piece of equipment broke and they sent us home 45min early.

Today was probably not a good gauge for how things are going to go. But everything was fine I guess.

Appreciate you asking

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Most important thing is that you stay away from the roach coaches. Overpriced, overgreased... They're just a big box of regret on wheels!
There wasn't one on the site but there was a deli I drove by on the way in.

Either way I won't be eating out very often the whole reason I went and got this gigantic cooler was so that I could pack all my meals for the entire day except for dinner and just eat everything on the road.

Just finished prepping tomorrow.

Natural peanut butter and fig jam on protein bread, high protein granola bar and a coffee.

Strawberry fat free Greek yogurt with chia seeds, apple and watermelon.

Mixed vegetable salad with grilled chicken and Greek yogurt dressing (il probably roll it up in a wrap)

Vanilla ice coffee protein shake and a mint protein bar (definitely a **** meal) but I need to be able to eat on the ride home and it's going to be what I have before I go to the gym anyways. I'll work on this meal it could be better.

Then post workout il eat dinner at home, chicken breast, rice and vegetables

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Il probably have a dessert too because calories are under 3000 tomorrow with what I got.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Something else I never mention and always forget to add to my totals but almost every night when I wake up to use the bathroom I stop by the fridge and chug 12-16oz of fairlife milk lol

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Everyone looked at me q little funny when I broke out this 52qt boat cooler instead of a lunchbox and made grilled chicken pita pockets with fresh ingredients like a subway line.

spinach, romaine, basil, tomatoes, chicken and goat cheese 😂

View attachment 218832
Ha, that is a much needed lunch box when you’re training this seriously. Way to plan ahead, so your not at the mercy of the choke and pukes.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I wake up to use the bathroom I stop by the fridge and chug 12-16oz of fairlife milk lol
I need to get a mini fridge and just keep it in my room and do this to! :LOL: Not a bad idea since I wake up to go pee at least once every night.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Tough day, skipped the gym completely because I was drenched in sweat for like 9.5 hours while covered in greasy **** down in what's basically a sand pit. I really don't know any way to describe it lol. Spent a good portion of the day moving equipment, dragging 100+lb hoses, moving 94lb bags of morter, loading 10ft metal rods into a giant drill, shoveling dirt and cement out of a ditch.

It was enough to justify a off day.

The plan was... basically I'm sore/tired legs and shoulders from work yesterday and today. Was going to do chest, back and arms today and legs and shoulders Friday. I just need to autoregulate my way through this till my schedule is worked out.

If it's not sore I'm training it and that's the gameplan from here on out.

Il stick to what I said before about higher reps and all that but I'm not going to force myself into specific workouts right now or il burn out. Maybe it's time to start training 1 part per day so workouts are quick?🤷

Suggestions are welcome.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You will need to pull back training frequency some like today until you get settled in a bit more. If you are doing 100lb carries & drags for extended periods, that is physical training that must be recovered from. It won’t make you a bodybuilder, but it will raise your base of GPP, grip, functional strength, and build some stabilizer muscles via high basal volume if it becomes repetitive over time.

Guys who work hard physical jobs can’t train as much, and they don’t need to. When you do train, you will need less general work and focus specifically on what you want to improve & weak points. This goes for strength and bodybuilding. I remember a bodybuilder trying to turn pro at the gym when I was just starting out. He worked construction, and so he didn’t deadlift & only did machine leg work despite being a fairly young guy. He had a great back and sick legs. He did the work he needed to, stuck to his dieting & drug protocol, and trained smart so he could balance his recovery optimally for growth.

This isn’t a pass to be a pussy - you will have to train when tired and sore often, but in the big picture everything effects everything, so if you do more physical work at your job that will lower the amount of training you can recover from.

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Tough day, skipped the gym completely because I was drenched in sweat for like 9.5 hours while covered in greasy **** down in what's basically a sand pit. I really don't know any way to describe it lol. Spent a good portion of the day moving equipment, dragging 100+lb hoses, moving 94lb bags of morter, loading 10ft metal rods into a giant drill, shoveling dirt and cement out of a ditch.

It was enough to justify a off day.

The plan was... basically I'm sore/tired legs and shoulders from work yesterday and today. Was going to do chest, back and arms today and legs and shoulders Friday. I just need to autoregulate my way through this till my schedule is worked out.

If it's not sore I'm training it and that's the gameplan from here on out.

Il stick to what I said before about higher reps and all that but I'm not going to force myself into specific workouts right now or il burn out. Maybe it's time to start training 1 part per day so workouts are quick?🤷

Suggestions are welcome.
With that kind of energy expenditure... I think the pump sets or focus sets.. body parts that aren't already over taxed, makes sense.

You almost need a wearable device to show a fatigue meter for how to balance body parts loads (Tonal feature) when I was going. 4 days a week.. which parts were gassed and which were not worked enough.

You are already in fighting shape and you have hella strength endurance, but that said... Keeping up hard physical job and lifting is going to require creative rest and training.