• Start date
Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have a female friend who is starting training again for her marathon. This time around she said she is having trouble with recovery and endurance. I was thinking of maybe X-Tend for her? Or would a higher dose of Citrulline Malate prove better?

I've been searching for a while and it was so-so on feedback. She is about
5'5" and 125lbs if that means anything.

flightposite

flightposite

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
maybe cordygen that may help her.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Check out slingshot by Axis labs great product for athletes!!

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Citrulline would be great for endurance. I would also suggest getting her on a good hydration formula like Poseidon or such. 3 scoops of that with 4-5gr of Citrulline each day should really help her in the endurance area.

jamjoe

Awards
I would recommend purple wraath over xtend for endurance since it has both Beta Alanine and Citrulline Malate and a more complete amino acid profile.

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Consider Anabolic-Pump for increased glycogen uptake...

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I HIGHLY recommend Purple Wraath, Cordygen 5, AND Cordygen VO2. Why both Cordygens? I'd take 3-4 C5's before the race with 2 VO2's; the C5's timed release will carry her through the race, while the VO2's will provide the quicker hit of goods including rhodiola and electrolytes. Purple Wraath will give a good dose of BA and citrulline as well, to carry over until the C5 kicks in.

If she can find Champion Nutrition Revenge Pro, also, it's WELL worth using as her drink during training. KILLER stuff.

http://www.discountanabolics.com/p/CN12

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I would point her towards magnesium for after her runs.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would recommend purple wraath over xtend for endurance since it has both Beta Alanine and Citrulline Malate and a more complete amino acid profile.
BA would be great for hydrogen buffering and running. For me, however it's a pretty strong bulking agent(maybe that just me), not to sure if that would fit well for a marathon runner.

Another thing to look into is a common supp that many runners use, good old cheap glycerol. Works great for proper fluid hydration.

meat250

Awards
1: rhodiola
2: carnosine
3: potassium Citrate
4: Magnesium Taurate

Meat

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
I would suggest glycobol with dinner for glycogen retention and resynthesis, rhodiola rosea for better mitochondria throughout the body, cordygen 5 for overall endurance, citruline malate, and suma root.

jamjoe

Awards
BA would be great for hydrogen buffering and running. For me, however it's a pretty strong bulking agent(maybe that just me), not to sure if that would fit well for a marathon runner.

Another thing to look into is a common supp that many runners use, good old cheap glycerol. Works great for proper fluid hydration.
Why do you call BA a strong bulking agent? I haven't seen a study that shows it increases mass. Here is an excerpt from a study that looks at body composition.

Effects of β-alanine supplementation and high-intensity interval training on endurance performance and body composition in men; a double-blind trial

Body Composition

The physical characteristics of the subjects determined at mid-testing and after six-weeks of HIIT and supplementing are presented in Table Table2.2. Body mass did not change significantly with supplementing or training. However, the determination of body composition with the use of air displacement plethysmography (Bod Pod®) revealed a significant improvement from pre- to mid-testing in lean body mass in only the BA group (p = 0.011; ES: 0.985) and no change in the PL group (p = 0.138). Furthermore, there were no significant changes in percent body fat (p = 0.287) or fat mass (p = 984) between treatment groups after three and six weeks of HIIT and supplementation.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I have a female friend who is starting training again for her marathon. This time around she said she is having trouble with recovery and endurance. I was thinking of maybe X-Tend for her? Or would a higher dose of Citrulline Malate prove better?

This is what my wife takes- she is training for her 3rd marathon right now:
3 grams ALCAR/day
2 Lipo-AM or 2 RPM pre-run
4-6 Osteo Sport/day
Complete Balance
BioMend
Omega Essentials
GLU Packs during the 7+ mile runs

The ALCAR, BioMend and Osteo Sport will make the biggest difference in terms of recovery post-run, at least from what she has said- and the GLU Packs help during the run as you get carb depleted- she swears by all of the above. Also, doing some of her training on grass, rather than pavement, will also help, as will cross-training- can't run every day, especially when you get into the really high mileages....

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
I agree with much of the 'stack' that rms80 suggested above--looks pretty similar to what I have used in the past.
Before recommending any supplements for your friend, however, I have a question. When you say that she is resuming marathon training, I presume that this means that she has run a marathon in the past. The only reason I ask is that I am incredibly hesitant to suggest endurance oriented supplements to someone who has not trained extensively at distance without supplementation. If one does not know how their body reacts to long distance training without added supplementation, it is difficult to diagnose any improvement or possible negative reactions caused by the added supplements.
This being said, I have found the following to be very useful:
--BCAA's pre and during
--WMS during and after
--Fish Oil (I usually go around 15-17g a day)
--Perhaps an added joint support supp (I like Animal Flex with Super Cissus RX added in when problems crop up)
--A cordyceps product to aid in CV endurance (I like Drive, but have heard good things about MST's line)
--Beta Alanine and Citrulline Malate (this stack is wicked for endurance)
Hope this helps--while these supps, save perhaps the fish oil and BCAA's, are hardly NECESSARY, they sure do help!

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why do you call BA a strong bulking agent? I haven't seen a study that shows it increases mass. Here is an excerpt from a study that looks at body composition.
Yeah its mainly an endurance supplement which would promote more reps which leads to better gainz

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
thanks for all the cordygen support everyone :)

I sure hope thats what she decided to go with (for her sake) ;)

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Dymatize xpand

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Cordygen VO2

The problem in endurance is that EPO abuse is so widespread (or so I have heard) and is very hard to detect.

jim623

I didn't read over all of the post so if I repeat here I appologize.
Endurox R4 is an excellent recovery drink for distance runners. My son and I used it every day when we were running cross country. I give it 2 thumbs up.