Road to Recovery and competing...again.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I dont see anything wrong with doing that stuff on a "down week". Get some blood pumping and keep your head in the game.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I dont see anything wrong with doing that stuff on a "down week". Get some blood pumping and keep your head in the game.
Word. Thanks again bro, big help.

Found my bow tie (again, after misplacing it for the 5th time) and am going to try and wear it in small increments to see if it hurts or hinders.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Word. Thanks again bro, big help.

Found my bow tie (again, after misplacing it for the 5th time) and am going to try and wear it in small increments to see if it hurts or hinders.
Gotta stop letting your daughter wear that with the princess costumes

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Gotta stop letting your daughter wear that with the princess costumes
Funny you say this lol She was wearing my old yellow jacket knee sleeves this morning on her arms saying, “The bumble bee is going to sting you”.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
We’re turning a corner gentlemen! Thoracic is feeling better, about 60%.

Brisk walk @3mph @3% grade
Oblique planks on knees 30sec holds x2
Progression to feet oblique plank 30 sec hold
Standard planks 30 sec holds x3
^^^ Good signs because I couldn’t even oblique plank Friday. Also, I tried to go quadruped to see if I could bird dog and I can. So, I’ll add those in tomorrow and continue to progressively add rehab movements.

BFR quads leg ext
25-20-15-15-15

Lying leg curl straight sets
20-20-15-15

External Db lying on side
15-15-12-12

Isolateral chest press “hops” w/dead stops
25-50-75lbs per side
12-10-10 reps x2

BFR bicep/tricep
Rope ext ss/w Db hammer curl
100 reps in four sets for both

Wide grip lat pull down
20/20/20

The pulldowns were for purely testing of my thoracic and to move some blood in the area. Zero pain, however there feels like I have a MASSIVE knot around 4 o’clock from my left scapula
IMG_1786.JPG
that I could feel on every rep of the pull downs (only 60lb so not anything significant.. again, for blood flow)

Wednesday will be a repeat of today, except I may try chin-ups to see how that feels.

Be easy
God bless!

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
We’re turning a corner gentlemen! Thoracic is feeling better, about 60%.

Brisk walk @3mph @3% grade
Oblique planks on knees 30sec holds x2
Progression to feet oblique plank 30 sec hold
Standard planks 30 sec holds x3
^^^ Good signs because I couldn’t even oblique plank Friday. Also, I tried to go quadruped to see if I could bird dog and I can. So, I’ll add those in tomorrow and continue to progressively add rehab movements.

BFR quads leg ext
25-20-15-15-15

Lying leg curl straight sets
20-20-15-15

External Db lying on side
15-15-12-12

Isolateral chest press “hops” w/dead stops
25-50-75lbs per side
12-10-10 reps x2

BFR bicep/tricep
Rope ext ss/w Db hammer curl
100 reps in four sets for both

Wide grip lat pull down
20/20/20

The pulldowns were for purely testing of my thoracic and to move some blood in the area. Zero pain, however there feels like I have a MASSIVE knot around 4 o’clock from my left scapula View attachment 179406 that I could feel on every rep of the pull downs (only 60lb so not anything significant.. again, for blood flow)

Wednesday will be a repeat of today, except I may try chin-ups to see how that feels.

Be easy
God bless!
Looks like some rest has done you some good, and your progressing nicely

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Looks like some rest has done you some good, and your progressing nicely
Thanks buddy. I was on the cusp of just starting my program today because I feel better (although not nearly 80%... at all) but I decided to stick the week out with what was planned.

Either temporarily rest or have to be sidelined for a LONGGG time. Glad I didn’t start the program today lol

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Thanks buddy. I was on the cusp of just starting my program today because I feel better (although not nearly 80%... at all) but I decided to stick the week out with what was planned.

Either temporarily rest or have to be sidelined for a LONGGG time. Glad I didn’t start the program today lol
wrong thread

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oh yeah, I watched a guy at the gym put knee wraps ON TOP and over his knee sleeves he had on... then quarter squatted 455. Impressive to unrack it none the less lol

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Oh yeah, I watched a guy at the gym put knee wraps ON TOP and over his knee sleeves he had on... then quarter squatted 455. Impressive to unrack it none the less lol
It always entertains me to watch the amount of "toys" people will put on and then completely misuse... and then on the other hand you have the guy who looks like he couldnt lift a feather who casually puts up like a 315 bench ha... always something to see in the gym

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It always entertains me to watch the amount of "toys" people will put on and then completely misuse... and then on the other hand you have the guy who looks like he couldnt lift a feather who casually puts up like a 315 bench ha... always something to see in the gym
Dude, no kidding. What’s funny is there is a “1k” club on the wall and that kid was on it.. with a 1205 total pretty cool the gym does it considering its an Anytime Fitness but... let’s be real lol

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Glad you’re on the up and up!

1205x.25=301.25
Feel free to inform him of his new total

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Do I get to base a total off a 19” high boxsquat, 18” deadlift and slingshot benchpress in the gym?? Cuz I would have a 1,630 total then lol

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Also, have your wife find the spot with her thumb and press that dude out - ONLY if your back is ready for that pressure of course

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Also, have your wife find the spot with her thumb and press that dude out - ONLY if your back is ready for that pressure of course
My wife does that with a wooden spoon. Gone the next day.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Have to do it for the fiancé often when she’s pushing for a show. You can actually feel the adhesion if you use your thumb, and when it’s gone. Crazy really.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
100% - you mix it then just squirt it into your mouth.

For localized recovery is when you use it subq, like I will on my bicep in several weeks.
Oh okay, what kind of dosing should we be using for her stomach then? I can get her to do that I am sure!!!!

Gonna go ahead and disagree with the lidocaine comment. Can it numb it, yah, but if youre just looking for some pain relief thats kind of the point. You just have to be smart enough to not do anything stupid while wearing it or in the hour or so after you take it off. Your back will still be able to let you know if you're being dumb.

Early activity has been shown to lessen healing time too. So dont load your spine directly but your walking, mcgill big 3, and isolation blood flow work really shouldnt hurt anything whatsoever.
Agreed, just like when you get a cort shot you need to be careful not to train so hard that you cause more damage because you are not getting inflamed.

Was also going to say that movement and exercising the area are huge parts of a quick recovery. Not "stressing" the area so much as using it and trying to increase blood flow while maintaining mobility.

Have to do it for the fiancé often when she’s pushing for a show. You can actually feel the adhesion if you use your thumb, and when it’s gone. Crazy really.
Yeah it is kind of cool when you feel a knot dissipate under your thumb.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do I get to base a total off a 19” high boxsquat, 18” deadlift and slingshot benchpress in the gym?? Cuz I would have a 1,630 total then lol
Absolutely!
It’ll be ready for that tomorrow.. I’m functioning at probably 75% now?
Ive got gua sha tools so imma have to have her do it tomorrow when it’s a heck of a lot better lol
good thing she put a ring on it lol

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Mid thoracic is around 80% today so, I’m going to alter the training today some.

Standard walk, core and manual adjustments.

Goblet squat x3x15
Single leg hip thrust x3x15
Arms
Chins
Db bench ~ if my back agrees

Again, light work to keep morning forward. Hopefully I can ease back into my training block next week.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
A good rule as you return to more movements and loading is to stay well within your fatigue threshold. Something you will see in 10/20/Life is very low RPEs on anything in the off-season. The risk/reward of doing RPE 8 curls even right now is significantly biased. If you clench a little too much you could re-aggravate your back, but going to a 5 or 6 will let you train much safer.
MrKleen73 you’ll want to look for the human studies probably or at least do a bit of in depth reading for GI health because that wasn’t what I was researching it for, but I believe using a 5mg vial over a week, divided into a dose a day on an empty stomach, is a place to start.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A good rule as you return to more movements and loading is to stay well within your fatigue threshold. Something you will see in 10/20/Life is very low RPEs on anything in the off-season. The risk/reward of doing RPE 8 curls even right now is significantly biased. If you clench a little too much you could re-aggravate your back, but going to a 5 or 6 will let you train much safer.
MrKleen73 you’ll want to look for the human studies probably or at least do a bit of in depth reading for GI health because that wasn’t what I was researching it for, but I believe using a 5mg vial over a week, divided into a dose a day on an empty stomach, is a place to start.
Thanks bro!

I was reading on reddit the other night about (basically) the same thing your mentioning with 10/20/L ~ I even think he talks about this with McGill in one of their seminars.

I should’ve expanded more on the layout. Those 3x15 won’t exceed an @6.

And when I return to my normal training the 3x4 of deads will be more along the lines of 12 singles because I’ll have full resets (something else Carrol and McGill advise).

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Whale whale whale

Brisk walk @3.5mph @2% grade

2ct Beltless Pause Squat
Bar x10x2
95x3x5
135x3x5 @5

Bench
Bar x10x2
95 x10x2
115x10x2 @5

Arms w/straight sets of 10. Yeah, I know.. huge deviation from what I said earlier. My thoracic feels pretty stinking good, and after I did my pelvic adjustment, planks and bear crawls I was feeling ready. No pain whatsoever so I kept it stupid light and worked my bracing/breathing and positioning.

Today was a small victory.

Friday’s tentative plan is;
Goblet squat (kb)
Some delt (Db) work
Calves

*im not pulling until next week, only because I can’t fully get my upper back(musculature around thoracic tight)*

Be easy guys
God bless!

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How many think I followed my “Tentative Plan”? Well, let me save you the guessing... I didn’t.

Im physically feeling better though and my thoracic is roughly 90 out of 100%

Brisk walk @3.5mph w/2% grade for 12min

Pelvic adjustment, side planks and bear crawl, hip airplanes

Squat w/belt
225x3x3 @6.5

Unilateral leg curl
3x15
1x12

Lying External Db rotations
3 sets

Cable fly
4 sets of 12

Cable high pull
4 sets of 15

Tonight I still have curl-ups, bird dogs and the ab wheel.

Monday we’re getting after it!

Be easy guys!
God bless!

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Great to hear you are making good progress tyga tyga! At my age, I am much more cautious than you on recovery exercise volume and frequency for back injuries. I’m also very impressed with the expert advice you are getting. Stay safe and stay strong, my friend!

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Gimme an inch...

Brisk walk @2% grade 3.8mph

Pelvic adjustment
Planks rolls R-C-L 30 sec holds x4
Static bear crawl holds (opposite hand foot off floor, hold, switch ~ 5sec each x10)

Decline bench
95x18
135x2x15 @ not registered
155x2x12 @6

Superset with...

Beltless trap bar
135x10x5 @ not registered lol

V bar tri ext
4x20

Super set with

Rope hammer curl
4x15

I don’t even know why I say I’ll do one thing but do another. My lumbar and (R)-SIJ have been feeling HEALTHY, thoracic.. is still “eh”. Tomorrow I’ll rest and Monday I’ll get after it. But I’ll be cognizant of the loading/intensity and really focus on my RIR so I do NOT get injured... again. I was reading Greg Nuckols article on the hex bar https://www.strongerbyscience.com/trap-bar-deadlifts/ and that’s what I’ll be subbing in for pulling (spinal health, some overload with hip hinge and quads).

Anyhow
Be easy!
God bless!

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Respect for still grinding in the gym, bro.. If it was me, I wouldn’t have.

Hope you hop back in full swing soon

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Appreciate it. The loads are light so it’s nothing to write home about but I couldn’t sit it out... although who knows if I would have if my thoracic would be 100% by now ??*♂

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
W1D1 -Recovery Block-

Warm up
-Pelvic adjustment
-10min brisk walk 1% grade @3.9mph
-rolling planks R-C-L 30sec hold each
-three bear crawl variations
-hip airplanes

BB hip thrust
215x3x4r
215x8 + set with 2RIR

Tempo squat (3-0-1)
185x3x4r
185x8 + set with 2RIR

Pallof press
20lb x3 sets per side 12 reps

Db hammer curl
3 sets

Rope tri ext
3 sets

Man, tempo squats suck so much.. but I figure it’ll help “repattern” my squat, keep my intensity lower and lumbar safe. Also, I’m going to train the bb hip thrust first before squatting the next five weeks for my Monday’s.

Feeling pretty okay... so far. Let’s keep it rolling.

Be easy
God bless!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
W1D1 -Recovery Block-

Warm up
-Pelvic adjustment
-10min brisk walk 1% grade @3.9mph
-rolling planks R-C-L 30sec hold each
-three bear crawl variations
-hip airplanes

BB hip thrust
215x3x4r
215x8 + set with 2RIR

Tempo squat (3-0-1)
185x3x4r
185x8 + set with 2RIR

Pallof press
20lb x3 sets per side 12 reps

Db hammer curl
3 sets

Rope tri ext
3 sets

Man, tempo squats suck so much.. but I figure it’ll help “repattern” my squat, keep my intensity lower and lumbar safe. Also, I’m going to train the bb hip thrust first before squatting the next five weeks for my Monday’s.

Feeling pretty okay... so far. Let’s keep it rolling.

Be easy
God bless!
I just started Meadows Creeping Death 2.0 and was super nervous to squat or do some of the hinge movements but luckily he prescribes a ton of focus on form and tempo so I ahve also been doing VERY slow, pause, and light squats and boy does it feel awesome... I used to ahve such stellar form but when I had that coach last year he programmed squats literally 3 times over the course of almost 6mo and I completely lost the pattern and obviously the strength so when I was retraining myself after I def got a bit sloppy and greedy trying to fast track my weights back to where they ahd been... bad bad bad.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I just started Meadows Creeping Death 2.0 and was super nervous to squat or do some of the hinge movements but luckily he prescribes a ton of focus on form and tempo so I ahve also been doing VERY slow, pause, and light squats and boy does it feel awesome... I used to ahve such stellar form but when I had that coach last year he programmed squats literally 3 times over the course of almost 6mo and I completely lost the pattern and obviously the strength so when I was retraining myself after I def got a bit sloppy and greedy trying to fast track my weights back to where they ahd been... bad bad bad.
I totally get this. I didn’t have a coach, but, changed my Squats for no reason and now I don’t remember where I started. I wanted to go full ATG when I was already going below parallel. That was good enough. Now, I can’t get my groove back.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That monstrosity of a “coach” lol I remember that. Yeah, when I first started squatting again, I put heavy emphasis on kb goblet squat to help reenforce/repattern my squat mechanics. But, It deteriorated lol Chris Duffin is big on counter balance squat warm ups to help keep the movement pattern engrained.

Take it slow my dude, we don’t want another re-injury!

I totally get this. I didn’t have a coach, but, changed my Squats for no reason and now I don’t remember where I started. I wanted to go full ATG when I was already going below parallel. That was good enough. Now, I can’t get my groove back.
dude, trying to cut depth after squatting deep is hard. I think Hyde likes to use a box at parallel or an inch or so below. My only ofther suggestion would be Pin squats or pauses to help cut the depth (and rebound lol).

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
dude, trying to cut depth after squatting deep is hard. I think Hyde likes to use a box at parallel or an inch or so below. My only ofther suggestion would be Pin squats or pauses to help cut the depth (and rebound lol).
The rebound on ATG used to put me off balance. Today I had someone look at my depth on the low bar squats and he said, it was below parallel. I guess that should be good enuf, no? The low bar is not a pause squat but very controlled. Really enjoyed and weights moved easy

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The rebound on ATG used to put me off balance. Today I had someone look at my depth on the low bar squats and he said, it was below parallel. I guess that should be good enuf, no? The low bar is not a pause squat but very controlled. Really enjoyed and weights moved easy
Anything below parallel is good (especially if you plan to compete).

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Anything below parallel is good (especially if you plan to compete).
My next program is going to be towards powerlifting. Since powerlifting doesn’t really need you to be on drugs to lift weights and you don’t have to look chiseled, I want to give it a go.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My next program is going to be towards powerlifting. Since powerlifting doesn’t really need you to be on drugs to lift weights and you don’t have to look chiseled, I want to give it a go.
You should man. Your squat numbers are good, i honestly don’t pay attention to bench or deadlift lol because I sick at both.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You should man. Your squat numbers are good, i honestly don’t pay attention to bench or deadlift lol because I sick at both.
When you're out of this phase, start focusing on bench and deads.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I guess my bench isn’t horrid, I managed to press 255 for a paused single @154lb last block.

My deads tho

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oh yeah, I’ve pretty well got my GI tract 100% under control. This is what I’ve been eating for two-three weeks now.

Organic maple apple chicken sausage
Gluten free choco rice crispy cereal
Hash browns
Ghee
Eggs
Organic soy milk (save the “estrogen” argument)
Gluten free Muesli
Mixed fruits (primarily pineapple, mango, blueberries and peaches)
Chicken breast/thighs
Jasmine/basmati rice
85/15 organic beef
97/3 ground turkey
Plant protein powder (disgusting btw)

Been able to add in bbq sauce slowly

Also, if you’re not cooking your hash browns in Ghee, you’re truly missing out. It has a very distinct buttery flavor that is . 10-fold better than standard butter~ some will make a case that it’s “better” for you as well.

Tomorrow is an upper day (bench and seal rows) w/added rear delt swings via John Meadows and stir the pots.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Your bench doesn’t suk man.. btw, ghee is good for health. I use ghee occasionally to fry some banana.. it tastes great

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dude, that sounds like a game changer. Grabbing bananas this weekend when I get groceries and trying that. My mom use to do something similar when I was growing up...

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Dude, that sounds like a game changer. Grabbing bananas this weekend when I get groceries and trying that. My mom use to do something similar when I was growing up...
It tastes amazing. I use Maduros (plantain). Slice them thin (round). Just add some sugar while frying. make sure it’s prepared in medium heat and it should be brown on both sides.. yummmmmm.. me and my son absolutely love it.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hmmmm, doesn’t hairygrandpa live in the land of the plantain???? Perhaps he could ship a crate or two

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hmmmm, doesn’t hairygrandpa live in the land of the plantain???? Perhaps he could ship a crate or two
YES! Bananas everywhere.