Post workout/Recovery?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Still, the problem I have with that is when people start preaching what happens to work well for them (even if it doesn't work well for most other people) as "what you need to do". Its always better to start someone off who is asking questions like "what kind of workout should I do to lean up" with what there is scientific backing for, as that is what is most likely to work for most people.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Still, the problem I have with that is when people start preaching what happens to work well for them (even if it doesn't work well for most other people) as "what you need to do". Its always better to start someone off who is asking questions like "what kind of workout should I do to lean up" with what there is scientific backing for, as that is what is most likely to work for most people.
Are you referring to the milk argument? Regardless, I completely agree with you. I have found myself guiltily of this in the past...

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agreed. You can't ignore science and the facts that it brings. Yeah I know how my body responds to such and such BUT by applying a little proven research I can maximize my results and improve upon them. For example, I recently used to take in large amounts of BCAA's while cutting to help spare muscle. By large amounts I mean like 20g's total BCAA's. But after reading Layne Norton's article (that was a scientific study by a Univeristy and I believe is currently being peer-reviewed) on muscle protein synthesis and BCAA's, I have changed to his protocol of dosing. Basically it's .05g leucine for each kg of body weight, in a 2:1:1 ratio with isoleucine and valine to keep from depleting the other two as will happen with high amounts of JUST leucine. Again we know this because of science, not guesswork. This equates to about 3-5g of leucine for the average bb'er. Here's the article: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3118693&d=1298408856

Now for real life results, I incorporated this into my diet about a month ago for my contest prep and have to say that I'm having the best results of any cut yet. So here's knowing how my body responds and then using science to maximize it's effectiveness.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you referring to the milk argument? Regardless, I completely agree with you. I have found myself guiltily of this in the past...
more just in general, actually the milk causing bloating and inflammatory issues from lactose does make it sort of not make sense in general use. Its hard to tell (no real blood or other tests I know of) how lactose tolerant/intolerant any person is, so overall it is better to avoid. plenty of other ways to get protein, calcium and vitamin D.

Mostly I was thinking about the person who starts a thread asking about leaning up, is 5'6 and 250lbs and just started in the gym, and people start trying to tell them to go keto, and get in 8 meals a day. Keto can make sense going from 7% down to 4% precontest, but a 40% bodyfat individual just needs "stop eating hungry howies, soda, ice cream and cookies, and stop drinking a 6 pack of beer a day", and can still eat 2-3 meals a day and get to where they want.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
more just in general, actually the milk causing bloating and inflammatory issues from lactose does make it sort of not make sense in general use. Its hard to tell (no real blood or other tests I know of) how lactose tolerant/intolerant any person is, so overall it is better to avoid. plenty of other ways to get protein, calcium and vitamin D.

Mostly I was thinking about the person who starts a thread asking about leaning up, is 5'6 and 250lbs and just started in the gym, and people start trying to tell them to go keto, and get in 8 meals a day. Keto can make sense going from 7% down to 4% precontest, but a 40% bodyfat individual just needs "stop eating hungry howies, soda, ice cream and cookies, and stop drinking a 6 pack of beer a day", and can still eat 2-3 meals a day and get to where they want.
hahaha that's so true! We have a sign up at our gym that personifies many people and common ideologies. It says: "I would do anything to get in shape...except diet and exercise." :laughing:

KillaK2010

Awards
So glad that I started this thread.. I have learned several things and made me laugh at some of the others.. but everything said on a forum is to always be taken with a grain of salt even if there is science behind it by no means it will work for every person on the face of the earth.. the joys of science..

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
plus you have to take into effect all the shiit they give cows will be in milk. everyone thinks steriods, but i heard they give them a ton of estrogens to give more milk. i love women with big tits so i read a study on why girls have bigger tits now than yesterday-the answer was the stuff they put in milk!!!!!!

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I actually buy a brand of milk with half the sugar and twice the protein, also no hormones. Great stuff imo.

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
I am just wondering what people use for post workout/recovery..protein, glutimen.?.. whatever you use. In the learning stages of what is out here for product and like to see everyones picks and why.
Great question, always excellent to cover the fundamentals and see what's out there to help you expedite your progress during what is surely the MOST crucial make-or-break meal of the day!

I use Karbo-Lyn and Vitargo in a pretty even 50/50 split to achieve about 70-80g carbohydrates along with Need 2 Slin from Need to Build Muscle, and of course 10g L-Leucine along with the other BCAA counterparts. I follow that up with what research proves as the most anabolic mixture of protein sources: Casein and Isolate, with an added dose (10g) of Super Plasma Protein.

It's the best possible workout recovery blend, especially when you add in creatine to the mix.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I actually buy a brand of milk with half the sugar and twice the protein, also no hormones. Great stuff imo.
worth it's weight in gold, imo.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What is this milk you speak of and how does it taste?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
plus you have to take into effect all the shiit they give cows will be in milk. everyone thinks steriods, but i heard they give them a ton of estrogens to give more milk. i love women with big tits so i read a study on why girls have bigger tits now than yesterday-the answer was the stuff they put in milk!!!!!!
no, the answer is that women on average are 10-20% fatter than they were 30 years ago, sadly.