Good recovery protein/post workout?

shanedoolie1

shanedoolie1

Awards
What is a good recovery protein? Specifically it will be for a female (wife) who is trying to lose weight but also build or strengthen muscle. I dont think protein powders that only have around 140 calories and very low carbs are effective. A good 250-400 calories per serving and about a 2:1 carbs to protein is what I'm looking for.

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
It sounds like you are looking for more of a meal replacement shake as opposed to a supplement that is strictly protein. Keep in mind that these supplements aren't any more beneficial than whole foods and even then you can make your own meal replacement with the protein powder of choice blended with a carb and fat source. That being said if you are still looking to purchase a pre formulated supplement Metabolic Nutrition Musclean, Core MRP and Iforce Mass Gainz are some options.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
If your goal is to get a mix of carbs and protein, I would recommend making your own shakes using whey protein and your choice of carbs. Most 'meal replacement' powders contain inexpensive carb sources, like maltodextrin. And these products can also be pricy when you crunch the numbers on price per serving.

My suggestion would be to buy a quality protein powder (PES Select and Myprotein Impact Whey are my personal favorites) and add your own carbs. This will significantly cut the cost per serving down, and it will allow you to manipulate the carb amounts to fit your wife's needs. Adding quick oats to a protein shake has been my go-to for years. You can also add in some variety with fruit and any other carb of your choice to obtain the proper carb/protein ratio

shanedoolie1

shanedoolie1

Awards
If your goal is to get a mix of carbs and protein, I would recommend making your own shakes using whey protein and your choice of carbs. Most 'meal replacement' powders contain inexpensive carb sources, like maltodextrin. And these products can also be pricy when you crunch the numbers on price per serving.

My suggestion would be to buy a quality protein powder (PES Select and Myprotein Impact Whey are my personal favorites) and add your own carbs. This will significantly cut the cost per serving down, and it will allow you to manipulate the carb amounts to fit your wife's needs. Adding quick oats to a protein shake has been my go-to for years. You can also add in some variety with fruit and any other carb of your choice to obtain the proper carb/protein ratio
Awesome advice dude. I dont know why I didnt think of that yet! I use to do that myself a few years back. Would she be missing out on anything significant doing that vs a meal replacement type? Like healthy fats or ? anything like that? But actually if she ends up making her own shake like you suggest, she could just add a little healthy fats to it too. What are some types of healthy fats I should look for to buy? Coconut oil I think I've heard of?? I know evoo but what else? Thanks for your reply and good advice brotha!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Here's some healthy fat options off the top of my head:

Flaxseed
Almonds
Olive oil
Walnuts
Virgin coconut oil

Of course there's tons of options out there for healthy fats.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Awesome advice dude. I dont know why I didnt think of that yet! I use to do that myself a few years back. Would she be missing out on anything significant doing that vs a meal replacement type? Like healthy fats or ? anything like that? But actually if she ends up making her own shake like you suggest, she could just add a little healthy fats to it too. What are some types of healthy fats I should look for to buy? Coconut oil I think I've heard of?? I know evoo but what else? Thanks for your reply and good advice brotha!
No, MRP generally contain lesser quality fats and carb sources as opposed to high quality ones. Doing it yourself is the best way to control the carb and fat source.

Also, bear in mind that gaining muscle and losing fat simultaneously is very hard to achieve.

raulob72

Awards
  • Established
Just get some peptopro and add the carbs you want

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
You got it man! LeanEngineer gave some great options for healthy fats. I typically prefer to keep fats low in my post workout shake, but she can add some in if needed. I like a relatively fast digesting shake post workout so it can be quickly broken down and used in the body. Adding in too much fat can slow the digestion process. I like to keep my post workout shake low fat, and follow it 1-2 hours later with a well balanced meal containing some healthy fats

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Anyone remember the old "Chocolate Milk Better than 'Surge' for Post-Workout Recovery" that Aragon did in the 90's/Early 2K? LOL.

Total daily protein intake matters 1000% more than the little bit you take after a workout, so she can just eat her next meal if she wants. Resistance training (as opposed to running a 26 mile marathon) makes only a very small dent in the bodies' Glycogen stores, and they will replenish over the next 24hrs anyway - so carbs aren't critical either.

But, if you/she just can't divest from having something sugary/protein/"fast" after a workout - A bowl of Captain Crunch w/Milk of choice, and a scoop of Cinnamon / Vanilla etc... Whey fits the bill nicely. You get your carbs from the cereal and Lactose, Casein from the Milk, and Whey from your powder.

Another Option would be a cup of Oikos Triple Zero Yogurt, Whey mixed in, a Bananna and or Blueberries (<---great for recovery) with maybe an added 1/2 cup of Grape Nuts.

Both of those will fill her up WAAAAAAAY more than 8oz of liquid and some powder - just fit them in the daily macros.