LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I’ve really been enjoying the carb loading days, I think I’m getting a better hang on them now
It's definitely a good feeling in the gym when you're full of carbs!

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
Pre carb up workout

Deload Deadlift Day

Deadlifts
Warm up
135x5
185x5
225x5
245x5

Working sets
275x5
325x5
385x1
410x1
435x1

Stiff-Leg Deadlifts
275x 6 reps for 5 sets

Barbell rows
135x 15 reps for 5 sets

Seated Barbell Shoulder Press
Swiss Bar
95x8 reps for 4 sets

Finish up circuit

Ez Barbell curls
75 x 15 reps

+
Cable ab crunches to failure

+

Tricep push downs 65 pounds x 20 reps

3 times through in a row .

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
Before the carb load today I did Hiit Cardio on a spin bike for 15 minutes alternating between all out sprints and leisurely riding .

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Before the carb load today I did Hiit Cardio on a spin bike for 15 minutes alternating between all out sprints and leisurely riding .
Personally bike is my go to cardio anymore these days. low impact on my joints!

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
Personally bike is my go to cardio anymore these days. low impact on my joints!
I like the bike but I find I push myself harder when running hills. I went back to hills this afternoon before the carb load . Did 15 sprints up and a slow jog back down , then right back into the sprint . The workout didn’t take long but man did it leave me feeling gassed

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
Before that, this morning I hit another deload workout

Shoulder press Deload day

Shoulder press
45x5
55x5
65x5
75x5
85x5
95x5
105x5
115x5
125x5
135x5

Okay so not much of a deload!

Next up I did Hack Squats
315x 15 reps for 5 sets

Super set

Peck deck flies
65 pounds x 15 reps for 5 sets

Next up

Weighted pull ups
25 pounds around waist x 10 full good stretch pull ups x 5 sets

Super set

Standing overhead cable Tricep extensions
65 pounds x 20 reps

Next up
Lying leg raises

Super set
Lying leg curls
( I don’t know the weight on this , I have a Solo flex machine which actually works very well for lying leg raises/ extensions , it was great during Covid and I still enjoy it now )

Super set
Hammer curls at 27 pounds

4 rounds of this triple super set.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I like the bike but I find I push myself harder when running hills. I went back to hills this afternoon before the carb load . Did 15 sprints up and a slow jog back down , then right back into the sprint . The workout didn’t take long but man did it leave me feeling gassed
For sure. Sprinting hills will get your heart rate sky high.

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
For the Carb up, the prescription is 7-8 grams of CHO per pounds of lean body mass .I decided to calculate this out at 8 percent body fat . 185x.08= 14.8

185-14.8= 170.2

CHO at middle road 7.5 grams

170.2x 7.5= 1236 grams of Carbohydrates over 30 hour carb up .

This last carb cycle I was a bit high but I really kept the fats in check . This is key. My fat a day was around 50-55 grams . I woke up this morning looking really good . No bloat , holding carbs well and not puffy . My carbs over the 30 hours were 1290 😉. Maybe next week I try to push it closer to 8 grams (1361 grams of carbohydrates.)

The carb ups are fun but not nearly as fun as cheat days as you really have to watch the fat content . The protein I’ve been letting ride sky high though with no negative impact . Average 270 grams a day over last carb up .

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
So weight actually dropped a bit between this week and last week but I feel like last week we saw a bit of a larger bump . Weight is up about 2.5 pounds over the last 4 weeks, I think that’s a pretty good rate of weight gain so far . We still have a couple weeks left of this log to go and the goal will be to finish the log at the weight I am currently at or plus a pound or so . I will be posting final progress photos at the end of the log so we can see how things went .

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I will be posting final progress photos at the end of the log so we can see how things went .
Excited to see the end product!

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
Off Season For Mass

Week 1 Workout 1

Press Day

The shoulder press is super setted with chin ups

Warm up
55x5
70x5
80x5

Working sets
90x5
100x5
115x5
70x10

Super setted
5 sets of Chin ups x 10 reps

Next I did Seated over head press with a Swiss bar
5 sets of 15 reps at 85 pounds

Super setted with
5 sets of EZ bar curls at 75 pounds for 15 reps

After this I did

Hack squats
315 x 5 sets for 15 reps

Super setted with :

Side laterals/ rear laterals to near failure at 15 pounds per arm x 3 sets

Over head cable Tricep extensions x 5 sets at 65 pounds for 15 reps

Remaining extensions

Super setted with

3 sets of lying leg raises to failure .

Pretty good workout! Felt good despite having helped someone move all day yesterday .

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Felt good despite having helped someone move all day yesterday .
Every time I have to move or help someone move I appreciate people who do that for a living!

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
Off season for Mass week 1 deadlift Day

Deadlifts
Warm up
165x5
205x5
245x5

Working sets
275x5
315x5
355x5

Next I did stiff leg deadlifts
275x6 reps for 5 sets

After that I did

Barbell Rows
15 reps x 5 sets at 135

Super set

Good Mornings
115x 10 x 5 sets

After that I did a super set of lying leg curls / leg extensions on my soloflex machine

5 sets pumped out around 20-25 reps for each sets

I finished up the workout with an ab wheel to failure for 5 sets .

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I finished up the workout with an ab wheel to failure for 5 sets .
I need to get one of these. I use to go to a commercial gym that had some and they definitely get a good stretch and contractions in the abs!

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
I need to get one of these. I use to go to a commercial gym that had some and they definitely get a good stretch and contractions in the abs!
My brother gifted one to me , had to of been over 5 years ago, he actually used to give me gym equipment for alot of birthdays/ Christmas’s , he’s past away now , but I think about him alot when I use what he gave me or some of his equipment like the bike .

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
Off season for Mass

Bench Day week 1

Bench
45x5
135x5
155x5
175x5
205x5
225x5
135x15
Super set
6 sets of chin ups x 10 reps

Next up

Dumbbell Bench press
62 pounds x 12 reps for 5 sets

Super set
Cable close grip rows
80 pounds x 15 reps

Next up

Soloflex lying leg curls super set with leg extensions x 15-20 reps for 4 sets

Next up

Skull crushers
85 pounds x 12 reps for 10 sets
Super set
Face pulls 20-30 reps per set for 10 sets at 30 pounds

Next up

Hammer curls 27 pounds x 12 rwps super set with hanging leg raises to failure for 4 sets

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
In the afternoon I did Hill Sprints

16 sprints jogging down the hill each time afterwards . Sprints were around 30 seconds at a time . Jog back down was slow .

Skipping carb up, going away this weekend and want to save the glycogen for some extra treats like going out to dinner/ maybe ice cream. Ate a bit higher calories than usual today around 3000 with 150 grams of useable carbs . I’ll burn those up during tomorrows workout / cardio though and be depleted again for the weekend .

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
Off Season For Mass
Squat Day Week 1

Squats
45x5
135x5
185x5
205x5
255x5
285x5
185x20
Supersetted
Pull ups x 12 reps for 6 sets

Next up
Seated overhead press
95 x 12 for 5 sets
Super set
Hack Squats
315x15 for 5 sets

Next I did 4 sets of concentration curls per arm 27 pounds x 15 reps

After that I did barbell ghr’s and man do these kick. What you do is you loop your legs under a barbell and position it on the ground inside your power rack . I used my safety squat bar for this . Then you fall forward and try to control the fall with your hamstrings . Then you push yourself back up and go again . I really felt these and the back of my legs were super sore when I stood up again so I think I’m going to keep these in for awhile and see how well they bring out my hamstrings . What’s cool about being on the leaner side is when you really push an exercise for a month you can actually see the body part coming up . I did this with concentration curls for my biceps, i really hammered them for a month and they came up noticeably .

After this I did cable ab crunches to failure for 4 sets .

I was beat after this and called it there . In the afternoon I went and ran hills again. I did 17 sets and was completely beat and walking down the hill by the end . I am definitely fried and looking forward to a weekend away and some good rest . I haven’t carbed up yet so I am going to take the weekend off and live like a normal person . I’m not going to run wild but I am also not going to be busting out the scale this weekend and just enjoy the weekend away and not be so neurotic about the diet .

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Off Season For Mass
Squat Day Week 1

Squats
45x5
135x5
185x5
205x5
255x5
285x5
185x20
Supersetted
Pull ups x 12 reps for 6 sets

Next up
Seated overhead press
95 x 12 for 5 sets
Super set
Hack Squats
315x15 for 5 sets

Next I did 4 sets of concentration curls per arm 27 pounds x 15 reps

After that I did barbell ghr’s and man do these kick. What you do is you loop your legs under a barbell and position it on the ground inside your power rack . I used my safety squat bar for this . Then you fall forward and try to control the fall with your hamstrings . Then you push yourself back up and go again . I really felt these and the back of my legs were super sore when I stood up again so I think I’m going to keep these in for awhile and see how well they bring out my hamstrings . What’s cool about being on the leaner side is when you really push an exercise for a month you can actually see the body part coming up . I did this with concentration curls for my biceps, i really hammered them for a month and they came up noticeably .

After this I did cable ab crunches to failure for 4 sets .

I was beat after this and called it there . In the afternoon I went and ran hills again. I did 17 sets and was completely beat and walking down the hill by the end . I am definitely fried and looking forward to a weekend away and some good rest . I haven’t carbed up yet so I am going to take the weekend off and live like a normal person . I’m not going to run wild but I am also not going to be busting out the scale this weekend and just enjoy the weekend away and not be so neurotic about the diet .
Nice!
Enjoy the weekend, brother!

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
Nice!
Enjoy the weekend, brother!
Thanks man, living the beach life this weekend and going to hit up some vineyards for some wine/cider tastings, maybe a brewery or two . I don’t really drink but I will try the tastings and walk away with a buzz

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
Weekly weigh in report

I obviously didn’t pack my scale for the weekend away . So I’m posting my weekly weigh in now . Weight is down in this posting . Not because I actually lost weight but because for the previous two days I had weigh ins that did not include the carb up days , so the results are skewed and not reflective .

Attachments

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
Week 2 off season for Mass Press Day

Got up early and hit this workout before work . Was good to be back in the gym today . I need to workout 4 days in a row to make up for missing yesterday due to holidays .

Press
Warm up
55x5
75x5
85x5

Working sets
95x3
110x3
120x3
85x15

Super set

Chin ups
6 sets x 10 reps

Next up

Seated overhead press
95x10-12 reps for 5 sets

Super set
Leg extensions / lying leg curls x 5 sets on soloflex machine x 15-20 reps

Next up

Side laterals/rear laterals x 4 sets at 15 pounds for 15-20 reps
Super set
Overhead cable Tricep extensions x 5 sets at 65 pounds for 15-20 reps
And
super set
EZ Curl bar curls at 85 pounds x 12 reps .

I threw in a quick couple sets of hammer curls at 27 pounds before running out the door to work.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I threw in a quick couple sets of hammer curls at 27 pounds before running out the door to work.
Gotta get the pump going pre work!

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
Off season for Mass Week 2

Deadlift day

Hit the gym before work this morning just finished up my afternoon cardio . I did 20 sets of hill sprints! Killer cardio !

Deadlifts

Warm up
135x5
185x5
225x5
245x5

Working sets
285x3
335x3
385x3

Next up

Stiff leg deadlifts

275x6 for 5 sets
Super set
Peck deck flies
5 sets x12-15 at 70 pounds

Next up
Good mornings
115x10-12 x 5 sets

Superset

Barbell Row

135 x 15 reps for 5 sets

Next up

Hack squats feet together
275x 20 reps x 4 sets

Superset

Ab wheel x 4 sets to failure .

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
Off season for Mass Week 2 Bench Day

Hit the workout nice and early today and then followed it up with cardio on the bike for 30 minutes

Bench
45x5
135x5
155x5
175x5
195x5
205x5
225x5
245x3
175x15

Super set
T bar chins x 12-15 reps for 6 sets

Next I did

Incline Dumbbell Bench press
65 pounds x 12 reps for 5 sets

Super set

Cable T bar Rows
85 pounds x 12 reps for 5 sets

Next I did

Tricep skull crushers EZ bar
75 Pounds x 15 reps x 10 sets
Super set
Face pulls x 20-25 at 30 pounds for 10 sets

I finished up the workout with
4 sets of cable ab crunches to failure
Super set
27 pound hammer curls to failure

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
4 sets of cable ab crunches to failure
Super set
27 pound hammer curls to failure
Nice way to end the workout! Bicep pump and abs popping!

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
Off season for Mass Week 2 Squat Day

I hit this workout in the morning before heading into work.

Squats
Warm up
45x5
135x5
185x5
205x5
245x5
285x5
305x3

Next I did

Seated Barbell overhead press
95x 12 for 4 sets

Super set
Hack Squats
350x10 for four sets

After that I did
Barbell GHR x 4 sets

4 sets of cable ab crunches to failure super set with
Pull ups to failure .

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
After work today I will once again hit the hills for some sprints!
Getting that heart rate up for sure doing those!

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
47C9924B-05A3-4F0F-9BB0-70D636119732.jpeg

Weights up a bit this week . Up to 188.1 from being far down last week at 184.7. We started the log at 183.5. I think my weight gain is just fuller glycogen stores and I don’t think I have actually put on 5 pounds over the course of the last 6 weeks , maybe more like 1-2 pounds. Next week I will try and get up some final progress photos . I am wrapping this log up some time next week as I’m going on holidays .

pfresh

pfresh

Awards
  • Established
Final review:

Sorry it took me awhile to get this up, I had a crazy week going into holidays where I pretty much just worked and then gymed and then bed , right up until Friday of last week . Then I was off to see WWE SmackDown in Toronto and hitting the road the very next day .

The AlphaBuild is very similar to other forms of Epicatechin. I didn’t notice it being better or worse than other ones I have tried . Although I will say that Epichaos for me personally has a much more pronounced vascularity effect . That’s all I am going to say on AlphaBuild .

Triton:
This is something I am going to be using moving forward . I started doing a.m workouts and this along with AlphaBuild were all that I was taking pre workout . I was not taking any caffeine or pre workout . 5 pumps of this was more than enough to get a really good workout in . I was able to go in and kill it everyday . I am going to continue to use Triton moving forward instead of a pre workout . I started working out in the mornings because I was finding I was feeling too beat by the end of the work day to get good workouts in . I try to avoid caffeine for the first two hours of the day so this is a great pre workout substitute that really helps you push through your training.

Mass effect :

I don’t think I really pushed the calories enough to see if this was truly working or not which in hindsight was unfortunate . It was leading up to holidays and I did not want to put on too much fat before the trip . My weight gain over the course of the log was about 2-3 pounds over the course of 6 weeks . When I checked my body fat it was actually a few points lower of a percentage than the last time I had checked it at the same weight so I would say on the way back up it was definitely more muscle than fat .

B-AET:

I believe this contributed to my state of feeling well relaxed in stressful times . I was just chilled out when everyone around me was losing their cool. I like this supplement a lot . I was sleeping really well after adding it in and it helped with my moods a lot . I will be cycling this one again in the future .