Lower Triglycerides supplements

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
I got some upsetting news today. I found out that my wife's Triglceride number is 213! I know Omega-3 is great for lower this. What other supplements can I have her take.

Fish Oil
Flax Oil
ALA

I am also going to get her diet in check big time as well.

Thanks guys.

On top of that her HDL is low.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Up her fiber and cardio amounts to get the hdl up. Also look into supplementing with some Nicotinic acid(ramping up to about 1gr to help avoid too much of a flush) for an all around boost in hdl, and decrease in ldl and TAGs. If you could, start her on a low/moderate carb diet with lean meat choices. I've found that a low carb diets really helps lower the TAG thru less endogenous VLDL conversion via hepatic synthesis.

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
Up her fiber and cardio amounts to get the hdl up. Also look into supplementing with some Nicotinic acid(ramping up to about 1gr to help avoid too much of a flush) for an all around boost in hdl, and decrease in ldl and TAGs. If you could, start her on a low/moderate carb diet with lean meat choices. I've found that a low carb diets really helps lower the TAG thru less endogenous VLDL conversion via hepatic synthesis.
I forgot about carbs and cholestrol. Thanks for the help PRLD! With Nician therapy how long is to long?

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For niacin therapy, it depends. Some docs prescribe it on a long term basis coupled with statins to help allieviate lipid panels. Most clinical trials I've read lasted anywhere from 6, 12, and 24 weeks iirc. Results have been noted in as little as 3-4 weeks. So basically it depends, if your just after some additional support to help get it intially lowered then maintained with life style modifications, then I'd say start it now and schedule another blood test in the next month or so and see where it takes you.

Oh, and by the way... it's carbs and Triglycerides. Cholesterol is primarily effected by saturated fat intake.:D

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
For niacin therapy, it depends. Some docs prescribe it on a long term basis coupled with statins to help allieviate lipid panels. Most clinical trials I've read lasted anywhere from 6, 12, and 24 weeks iirc. Results have been noted in as little as 3-4 weeks. So basically it depends, if your just after some additional support to help get it intially lowered then maintained with life style modifications, then I'd say start it now and schedule another blood test in the next month or so and see where it takes you.

Oh, and by the way... it's carbs and Triglycerides. Cholesterol is primarily effected by saturated fat intake.:D
Sounds good. I will adjust her diet, make her excerise and add some niacin tapering up the dose. After a month we get it tested and go from there.

I remember someone telling me about carbs and LDL. Anyway thanks a million!!

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds good. I will adjust her diet, make her excerise and add some niacin tapering up the dose. After a month we get it tested and go from there.

I remember someone telling me about carbs and LDL. Anyway thanks a million!!
Looks good UNC, keep us posted on how it turns out.

As for the carbs, yeah it's all about component ratios in the VLDL molecule. It can effect ldl, but the bulk of the effects are seen with TAGs. More TAG present in the VLDL as opposed to Chylmicrons, not so much in ldl(but still....it's there).:thumbsup:

Skircus7

Skircus7

constant recomp
Awards
  • Established
I got some upsetting news today. I found out that my wife's Triglceride number is 213! I know Omega-3 is great for lower this. What other supplements can I have her take.

Fish Oil
Flax Oil
ALA

Thanks guys.

Man, I dont know much about lowering triglicerides, but I'm sorry about that! I hope ya'll get it in check!

Let us know how it goes!

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
Man, I dont know much about lowering triglicerides, but I'm sorry about that! I hope ya'll get it in check!

Let us know how it goes!
Thanks alot Skircus for showing some love. I will keep u guys updated.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
213 isn't completely horrendous, but is on the bad side for sure. Its still manageable at that without prescription drugs IMO

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
213 isn't completely horrendous, but is on the bad side for sure. Its still manageable at that without prescription drugs IMO
I agree. I want to stop before it gets that bad. Here HDL is down also so the combo with our bad dieting and her lack of excerise is the reason for me to start worrying u know what I mean.

Her diet starts tomorrow so she will not be a happy camper but she is all for it.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree. I want to stop before it gets that bad. Here HDL is down also so the combo with our bad dieting and her lack of excerise is the reason for me to start worrying u know what I mean.

Her diet starts tomorrow so she will not be a happy camper but she is all for it.
Getting on it ASAP. That's the type of determination it takes to make any type of difference. :thumbsup:

Tell her she's going to love it.:D

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Add more salmon to your diet too, that will help the HDL over time too

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
My wife got bad numbers on her blood test as well.

I tried to get her to take Cycle Support but she could stand the taste LOL

So she started on Life Support. A month later her blood test results all came back within proper range.

CROWLER

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Add more salmon to your diet too, that will help the HDL over time too

The efa's found in fatty fish have shown pronounced effects on triglyceride levels, but the effects on ldl/hdl ratio haven't been seen in any clinical trial at least not with any statistical significance.

Bump on the life support, a very solid formula that may help with what's needed.

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
Life support would work. Like ur wife Crowler I don't see mine drinking cycle support.

Thanks guys.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
interesting on the fish oils, I had thought it did. I'll have to do some research later today when I get some time :)

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
The efa's found in fatty fish have shown pronounced effects on triglyceride levels, but the effects on ldl/hdl ratio haven't been seen in any clinical trial at least not with any statistical significance.

Bump on the life support, a very solid formula that may help with what's needed.
I have always read that omega-3's were best for Trigylcerides.

Oh Prld, she is dehydrated so I need a hook up with some of ur products wink wink LOL. Shameless plug for free supplements.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have always read that omega-3's were best for Trigylcerides.

Oh Prld, she is dehydrated so I need a hook up with some of ur products wink wink LOL. Shameless plug for free supplements.
LOL, unfortunately free products aren't part of my job description as a rep, good try though my friend.:)

If anything I believe NP still has the offer of free clumpy Poseidon with any purchase of 2 Nimbus products... if that's any consolidation for ya'. :thumbsup:

Otori

Awards
Look into TTA.

In animal studies, effects are seen on TG´s within 24h.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great contributions!

(Concentrated) Fish Oil extract has been mentioned. Also reduces very low-density lipoproteins (VLDL) and small low-density lipoproteins (LDL). Niacin too. Beta-Glucan (either as supplement or straight from high-fiber foods), and raw nuts (almonds and walnuts), too. They lower triglyceride levels indirectly via lowering the "glycemic index" of foods.

I once read that when the level of triglycerides rises higher than 60, this triggers the build up of several abnormal hidden particles in the blood. These include very low-density lipoproteins (VLDL), intermediate-density lipoproteins (IDL), and low-density lipoproteins (LDL). Beneficial high-density lipoprotein (HDL) levels decrease with a rise in triglyceride levels.

For raising HDL levels, niacin supplementation, weight loss, calcium pyruvate supplementation (for weight management), fish oil, policosanol, chromium, and eliminating hydrogenated fats (cut HDL and raise LDL) and refined starches from one's diet are useful strategies.

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Those levels are nothing to get to excited about I had a guy just last week with triglycerides in excess of 1200. Cutting carbs and increasing cardio should drop those levels to wnl without any supplements, unless she is genetically predisposed to high levels.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
get a PPAR agonist, such as sesamin or TTA

Plenty of PUFA's

Diet & Exercise

and those numbers will drop like it's hot.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
"
In the Journal of Molecular Cell Biochemistry, curcumin has been demonstrated, in vivo, to decrease triglycerides and increase HDL. In a study published in 1989 by the Journal of Associated Physicians-India, 125 patients receiving gugulipid showed a drop of 16.8% in triglycerides, and a 60% increase in HDL cholesterol within three to four weeks."
In addition to the answers given, I found versions of this advice a couple places as well.

DeerDeer

DeerDeer

Awards
  • Established
Diet + exercise. Up the fiber intake. If Triglycerides are her only problem, her doctor may recommend either niacin (cheap) or Lovaza, formerly known an omacor which is an esterfied omega 3 that has been shown in clinical trials to drop trigylcerides up to 45%.

Plicosanol does not work. It has been cited over and over again and doesn't work (unless oyu are a cuban scientist with money invested in the extraction process).

Fish Oil
Flax Oil
ALA

Thanks guys.