Kleen - Project 50: Under Construction

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
People at the gym I go have a habit of laying a towel over the equipment, then go to other machines or the bathroom etc.

Usually just 3 people that do this, now that I know who they are if they do that to something I want to go to I just toss the towel in the cart for used towels and use the equipment. No one has confronted me they come back and just move to something else.
you know these are the same dbags who run down to put towels over 6 chairs by the pool at the resort at 6am and then don't come back until 1pm

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
They also don’t do **** at the gym, which is odd why they are there at 5am. Like if you are just going to waste time my ass would just stay in bed.
Lol at my old gym the 5am guys were consistently there for YEARS. Very dedicated, always the same guys. But it was their social hour, very little lifting. Lol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
People at the gym I go have a habit of laying a towel over the equipment, then go to other machines or the bathroom etc.

Usually just 3 people that do this, now that I know who they are if they do that to something I want to go to I just toss the towel in the cart for used towels and use the equipment. No one has confronted me they come back and just move to something else.
The thought that someone can hold and reserve a station if they are going away for a while with just a towel is a bit silly. I can see if you go to the restroom in between sets but leave other stuff there, and tell the person on the machine next to you that you will be right back. I think most of us will ask people nearby if someone has been at the station recently if there are weights or something already there.

We had one guy who loved to do complexes and circuits, he literally would bring 3-4 towels and put them on the machines he intended to use. Once I told him, hey man that is cool and if you come over while I am resting I will let you work in, but I am going to use this in between your sets. We can work this out together. I was one of the few he was cool with because I communicated clearly with him my intentions and that I had no qualms about him hopping in, and or waiting a minute if he showed up right before my set so he could keep his training moving. Guy was an animal, little skinny old school 65 year old Coach who would be in the gym doing crazy work a day or two after a knee replacement or something.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
you know these are the same dbags who run down to put towels over 6 chairs by the pool at the resort at 6am and then don't come back until 1pm
If there isn't anyone their claiming those towels they are going in the hamper and I am sitting down. However if i am at the pool, I am normally in the pool!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
If there isn't anyone their claiming those towels they are going in the hamper and I am sitting down. However if i am at the pool, I am normally in the pool!
I saw someone in one of my travel groups recently say they take the towel and turn it in for the $25 card at resorts lol

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
The thought that someone can hold and reserve a station if they are going away for a while with just a towel is a bit silly. I can see if you go to the restroom in between sets but leave other stuff there, and tell the person on the machine next to you that you will be right back. I think most of us will ask people nearby if someone has been at the station recently if there are weights or something already there.

We had one guy who loved to do complexes and circuits, he literally would bring 3-4 towels and put them on the machines he intended to use. Once I told him, hey man that is cool and if you come over while I am resting I will let you work in, but I am going to use this in between your sets. We can work this out together. I was one of the few he was cool with because I communicated clearly with him my intentions and that I had no qualms about him hopping in, and or waiting a minute if he showed up right before my set so he could keep his training moving. Guy was an animal, little skinny old school 65 year old Coach who would be in the gym doing crazy work a day or two after a knee replacement or something.
That’s just it if these people are hardcore and doing **** and then coming to the equipment cool I’d have no problem and work around because it’s not super busy in the morning.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

Sometimes you just need to take control of the situation !

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
6/2/23 Morning Weight - 202.8 - Down about 6lbs! Looking leaner, imagine that.

I went to sleep early last night to make up for being up late Wednesday. Got in some good sleep and woke up before the alarm. Unfortunately that had me ready to leave a full 30 minutes early so I put my food by the door and found something to do for a few minutes. Then walked out with out my food, I should have just put it in the car before changing my morning routine.... So I broke my fast with a few breakfast tacos that were bought for us at work. I chose to break my fast a little early because my legs although not sore, are super fatigued and my upper body definitely needs to start pulling in glycogen for my session later today. Looking forward to my session tonight.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
6/2/23 Morning Weight - 202.8 - Down about 6lbs! Looking leaner, imagine that.

I went to sleep early last night to make up for being up late Wednesday. Got in some good sleep and woke up before the alarm. Unfortunately that had me ready to leave a full 30 minutes early so I put my food by the door and found something to do for a few minutes. Then walked out with out my food, I should have just put it in the car before changing my morning routine.... So I broke my fast with a few breakfast tacos that were bought for us at work. I chose to break my fast a little early because my legs although not sore, are super fatigued and my upper body definitely needs to start pulling in glycogen for my session later today. Looking forward to my session tonight.
I'm probably gonna throw in another long fast or two over the next 5-8 days. Last night we met up with our boat friends and one thing led to another until I woke up with a little regret this morning

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Breakfast Tacos Yum !!
YesSir!!!
I'm probably gonna throw in another long fast or two over the next 5-8 days. Last night we met up with our boat friends and one thing led to another until I woke up with a little regret this morning
Whoops!

I am probably not going to take a walk today. My legs are still pretty fatigued so I may just find something relaxing to do during my lunch hour.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I like that sleep is an important part of training.
Yes Sir, resting is right at the top of my leisure activity list!

Last nights training bled over into today. I was tired, so the session was running a bit long and I got a bit of a late start. So I called it at 10:00PM last night after I finished Triceps then did biceps and shoulders today. Resting now to get ready to go to the gym shortly. My legs are still feeling tired but we will see how the session goes. It might be stellar. I am still slightly feeling DOMS in my hammies if stretched so I almost expect them to be hard to hit my numbers.

Here is the upper body work.

6/2/23 - Morning Weight 202.8

WEEK2 DAY3 Friday –
Chest, Back, Triceps, Biceps, Shoulders And Traps

PreWorkout Pump Addict 2 scoops
PeriWorkout Drink - The usual

Chest
- IronTec Incline Iso-lateral Chest Press – MACHINE - Joint pain: No pain

setweightreps
Back - Barbell Bent Over Row – BARBELL - Joint pain: No pain

setweightreps
Triceps - IronTec Dip Attachment – MACHINE - Joint pain: No pain

setweightreps
Triceps - Cable Triceps Pushdown (Rope) – CABLE - Joint pain: No pain

setweightreps
==============================================================================
Performed this morning...
Biceps - Dumbbell Curl (Incline) –
DUMBBELL - Joint pain: No pain

setweightreps
Biceps - Machine Preacher Curl – MACHINE - Joint pain: No pain

setweightreps
Shoulders And Traps - Barbell Facepull – BARBELL - Joint pain: No pain

setweightreps

I was getting stronger and did an extra rep or two on a few first sets then found out I should have just stayed and did the 2RIR set only on the last set to help pick my next numbers. So hoping this doesn't push me too hard and fizzle me out before I am supposed to deload week 5. Next week is only week 3 and these are already pretty challenging sets. That being said I do feel I am growing or filling out more. My muscle seems to be responding to the training very well. My arms looked silly this morning so many veins in my inner biceps and triceps.

My morning weight this morning was 206 on the dot. I was definitely looking leaner this morning and very full of carbs. I have been loading up and reloading up on carbs all day to get ready for this evening. Ready to crush this session, tan and come home to eat and relax!!!! I may have to use sunscreen on upper body to even this crazy tan issue with my legs being alabaster white, and upper body with a pretty good tan. LMAO!

Last edited:
MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Man sounds like you are doing awesome and really making some great sessions/progress!!
Yeah, I am really enjoying the program, and not having to think too much, just perform what is requested of me is awesome! Now that I understand not to do extra reps on the suggested numbers just to hit a target RIR I will probably progress a little more slowly which will be good. Obviously venturing into higher reps on the harder end sets will tell the app the earlier sets needed to be a little harder. Of course it only makes sense in hindsight. I put Pushed My Limits on a few things this last session to let the app know it was starting to get pretty hard. So it most likely won't add any sets to those body parts, maybe just a little weight or an additional rep or two. There are a lot of new questions and answers on the site and they answer the questions when you hit the help icon pretty quickly. I have gotten responses within the hour. My next program I am probably going to add in some MYOREP sets of some sort to shorten the sessions a little as well. That or split some of the training days into a morning and afternoon session. These workouts take 90-120 minutes with warm ups easily right now.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Only bummer is that I do not believe I will have access to a hack squat tonight so I will likely have to choose another quad exercise. More than likely I will use the leg press again. My upper back is kind of toasty already so front squats are out. Maybe Feet forward smith machine squats, who knows. Depends on availability when I get to Planet Fitness.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yeah, I am really enjoying the program, and not having to think too much, just perform what is requested of me is awesome! Now that I understand not to do extra reps on the suggested numbers just to hit a target RIR I will probably progress a little more slowly which will be good. Obviously venturing into higher reps on the harder end sets will tell the app the earlier sets needed to be a little harder. Of course it only makes sense in hindsight. I put Pushed My Limits on a few things this last session to let the app know it was starting to get pretty hard. So it most likely won't add any sets to those body parts, maybe just a little weight or an additional rep or two. There are a lot of new questions and answers on the site and they answer the questions when you hit the help icon pretty quickly. I have gotten responses within the hour. My next program I am probably going to add in some MYOREP sets of some sort to shorten the sessions a little as well. That or split some of the training days into a morning and afternoon session. These workouts take 90-120 minutes with warm ups easily right now.
Yeah it takes a while to get through with warm ups but man they make such a big difference. From all the videos I watched and everything I have started a little lighter and just following and letting the app do the work. I know if I would have pushed the weight I would have been dead come week 3. Even week 1 in the books was a little more strenuous than I thought.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Only bummer is that I do not believe I will have access to a hack squat tonight so I will likely have to choose another quad exercise. More than likely I will use the leg press again. My upper back is kind of toasty already so front squats are out. Maybe Feet forward smith machine squats, who knows. Depends on availability when I get to Planet Fitness.
Feet forward smith squats is probably a better leg developer than hacksquat machine! When you get the position right it’s all legs with none of the knee trouble hacks can bring.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yeah it takes a while to get through with warm ups but man they make such a big difference. From all the videos I watched and everything I have started a little lighter and just following and letting the app do the work. I know if I would have pushed the weight I would have been dead come week 3. Even week 1 in the books was a little more strenuous than I thought.
I started at a lot of things at weights intending to be in higher rep ranges and was quickly humbled due to the increased rom, TUT, and the instruction from their other videos on how to get the most out of the exercises. Not part of the site but one of the playlists they have there on their youtube site. Plus changing things based on availability or if they just feel really off has complicated things a little but the app suggest what to do in those cases too. Volume and progression cant really be matched there, but RIR and amount of sets planned for the week can be.

Feet forward smith squats is probably a better leg developer than hacksquat machine! When you get the position right it’s all legs with none of the knee trouble hacks can bring.
You know I absolutely hated smith machine squats before. I either had my feet back to far, or out too far in front so they never felt good or right. They just hurt. After watching their video today about how to get the most from them I found my perfect foot placement during my warm up sets. I was able to get rock bottom, I mean a true rock bottom with an erect spine and chest high. It was glorious! It wasn't a lot of weight either and didn't need to be.

6/4/23 - Morning Weight 206 - Up from yesterday but looked leaner and fuller this morning. Gotta have food to grow Baby!

WEEK2 DAY4 Saturday – Quads, Glutes, Hamstrings, Calves, Shoulders And Traps, Abs

Quads - Smith Machine Squat (Feet Forward) - SMITH MACHINE - Joint pain: No pain

setweightreps
Glutes - Reverse Lunge (Dumbbell) – DUMBBELL - Joint pain: No pain

setweightreps
Hamstrings - Lying Leg Curl – MACHINE - Joint pain: No pain

setweightreps
Calves - Leg Press Calves – MACHINE - Joint pain: No pain

setweightreps
Shoulders And Traps - Barbell Upright Row – BARBELL - Joint pain: No pain

setweightreps
Abs - Machine Crunch – MACHINE - Joint pain: No pain

setweightreps

Another great session in the books. Doing some serious work here with these sessions. My muscles feel worked on a different level even though my joints seem to be doing well so far. Soreness has not been an issue at all with these. Anything that got DOMS was only noticeable in a stretched position and for less than a day except my right hamstring and glute tie in is the tiniest bit sore.

Since I am going to be working in San Francisco and am not sure what I will have available to me I have decided next week will be my final push for this meso, and I will deload in San Francisco. I didn't deload before starting this meso so I am about due for one and am not sure I will be able to get in my sessions as planned. So, I am just going to add in some myoreps next week and push to an 0RIR. Then I can spend the week eating pretty regularly throughout the day for maximum MPS, around 2800-3000 calories to get some growth during the week. Then I can start a new meso when I get back after an easier week of training. Yes, I will be heavier after that week, but that is the short term goal for the deload. The additional weight will mostly fall right back off. Plus with me training to grow, while I am getting leaner I want to maximize this short opportunity to grow while resting.

Stability and ability to perform single leg movements is improving quickly. I have a lot of confidence if I keep these in I may be able to finally solve my glute issues on the right side. If nothing else, I know for sure I will improve it. Ankle mobility on that side is improving greatly with the deep squatting and low foot position on the leg press and deep squats. Not to mention all of the stretching and increasing strength in my calves improving things. I can feel the outside of my ankle, and calf getting stronger, and am focusing on that area more with my foot position right now. It is a lot easier to focus on these things when focusing on the contraction and ROM instead of moving the weight from point A to B in the most efficient way possible. I love that I am enjoying this so much.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This program seems to be fitting you well !!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sounds like everything is going very well! Glad you nailed the smith squats too.

Watch out for sidewalk turds in San Fran - those homeless skateboarders downtown are a literal shitshow!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
This program seems to be fitting you well !!
Yes Sir, it sure does!
Sounds like everything is going very well! Glad you nailed the smith squats too.

Watch out for sidewalk turds in San Fran - those homeless skateboarders downtown are a literal shitshow!
Thanks! Same here nice to have another tool in the arsenal with the smith squats. Yeah those biological landmines, and used needles and syringes make it an interesting obstacle course for sure. If Fear Factor was still on a walk around there might be a new challenge!!!

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You’re having some good productive workouts on this program. I really like how it helps make adjustments when you have to change up for various reasons. It helps keep you on your targets. You’re progressing really well, I think you have a good plan to be able to do that show later in the year.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You’re having some good productive workouts on this program. I really like how it helps make adjustments when you have to change up for various reasons. It helps keep you on your targets. You’re progressing really well, I think you have a good plan to be able to do that show later in the year.
I have some fine tuning to do before I do a show. I actually plan on doing one next October, not this one. I don't want to rush in for the sake of doing a show. I want to go in with a good chance of placing well. If things get ahead of schedule I might do a practice show a little earlier but I want to add a good bit to my medial delts, biceps, and thighs beforehand. Really just regaining lost size. I want to do ity as responsibly as possible so I am not going to push cycles super close together just to get the job done. At a minimum I want my shoulders back looking like this before I get to the show. With muscle memory that shouldn't be an issue. I have to get a bit leaner for comparison but I was about 6-8lbs heavier and around 12-15% then. So I have some work to do. I think between changing back to more bodybuilding style training, and having muscle memory is going to make it an attainable target. If I can match my old leg size too then I think I will do well in classic.

Last edited:
gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Oh yeah muscle memory should help majorly in that time frame. And much smarter taking your time and doing it the right way. You get your arms, delts, traps, and legs looking like that again and you should win a classic physique easily.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Oh yeah muscle memory should help majorly in that time frame. And much smarter taking your time and doing it the right way. You get your arms, delts, traps, and legs looking like that again and you should win a classic physique easily.
That is my hope! IYeah, I see no real reason to mess my health up for a local show. Not when I am not that far away from being big enough already. Plus I need to make sure my joints and connective tissue can keep up with the gains. Which is very unlikely if I were to start trying to do a show now.
A solid year of building, you will be a beast !!
Thank You Sir!

I am home today, just managed to crawl out of bed. Had a bit of a sore throat last night and woke up sick with a fever. I called in and went back to bed and just now got up. I broke the fever already and feel a bit better now. I am not sure if I am going to fast through the night today, or get some food in me to help fight this off. I am probably going to end up eating a few reasonable meals to help make sure I am ready to train tomorrow.

6/5/23 - Morning Weight 204.4 - 10:00AM No Water, just crawled back into bed, 1:00PM 203.4lbs - I dropped 1lb in 3 hours of sleeping... Pretty crazy how much water and glycogen the body went through at rest.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I broke the fever already and feel a bit better now. I am not sure if I am going to fast through the night today, or get some food in me to help fight this off. I am probably going to end up eating a few reasonable meals to help make sure I am ready to train tomorrow
if you break your fast get pho and wash it down with some elderberry syrup! these 2 things are my cure all I swear by it. I haven't been sick enough to miss work since 2019 !

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
if you break your fast get pho and wash it down with some elderberry syrup! these 2 things are my cure all I swear by it. I haven't been sick enough to miss work since 2019 !
That is great. I have a lot of PTO from being at my job for 16 years. So now if I don't feel good, I simply choose to be miserable where I am most comfortable. I used to go in no matter what I felt like but it is a quality of life decision for me now. ;) I have to work at it to run through all of my PTO.

Is there any Pho that doesn't smell like fish oil? Everytime I have tried it the smell of the fish oil coming out of it while I eat is totally unappealing to me, but I have not written it off yet. I just don't know if there is one that doesn't smell like a fish factory. I might have to see about going to pick some elderberry syrup today.
unless you count mental health days 😅😅
Haha, yeah mental health days are important. I could have definitely gone in today, gotten paid for my misery, but I knew my body needed more rest. So this was a bit of both. I ain't too unhappy with breaking my fever over the course of a few hours though. Poor wife washed the sheets yesterday then I sweat sweat like a whore in church in them all night.

I’m a big believer in Elderberry as well 👍
I don't know that I have ever used it, at least not stand alone.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Is there any Pho that doesn't smell like fish oil? Everytime I have tried it the smell of the fish oil coming out of it while I eat is totally unappealing to me, but I have not written it off yet. I just don't know if there is one that doesn't smell like a fish factory. I might have to see about going to pick some elderberry syrup today.
LOL there shouldn't be any fish oil in the pho broth, great legit pho is made of beef bone broth. Do you guys have a china town close by? A good Vietnamese place there would likely have the most legit stuff

I don't know that I have ever used it, at least not stand alone.
My brother and his wife make their own now. I got on it around COVID era (I can't remember if I started pre-covid or because of covid. there was discussion of cytokine storms but I never had any issues and have used it religiously anytime I feel a sickness starting) I have found the syrup versions in the store usually have more concentration than the capsule form and a LOT more concentration than the gummies. I make my wife and son take it too if they starts getting the sniffles or a sore throat. i swear it's great

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
LOL there shouldn't be any fish oil in the pho broth, great legit pho is made of beef bone broth. Do you guys have a china town close by? A good Vietnamese place there would likely have the most legit stuff

My brother and his wife make their own now. I got on it around COVID era (I can't remember if I started pre-covid or because of covid. there was discussion of cytokine storms but I never had any issues and have used it religiously anytime I feel a sickness starting) I have found the syrup versions in the store usually have more concentration than the capsule form and a LOT more concentration than the gummies. I make my wife and son take it too if they starts getting the sniffles or a sore throat. i swear it's great
@Dustin07 Oh yeah, we have plenty of Authentic places around here. I might be confusing it with some Thai soup I have had before too. Do you have a favorite type of Pho? I am sure they have multiples.

I actually live right by the area of town that is considered to have a high Vietnamese population. Actually used to be run by some Vietnamese gangs that were not to be messed with. So we have several spots, I just haven't gone to any of them thinking it was PHO that smelled like the fish oil.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Do you have a favorite type of Pho? I am sure they have multiples.
locally the Vietnamese have pretty similar variations, beef, chicken, etc but I always get whatever their full combo bowl is which includes every type of beef they have including trip, the chunks of fat, etc. most people I know are grossed out by the brisket fat chunks and tripe but I think it tastes great

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
locally the Vietnamese have pretty similar variations, beef, chicken, etc but I always get whatever their full combo bowl is which includes every type of beef they have including trip, the chunks of fat, etc. most people I know are grossed out by the brisket fat chunks and tripe but I think it tastes great
I like fried tripe! I don't mind it if it has a little consistency to it but some people boil it down to just a gooey thing and I am not too into that.
As opposed to the local gangs you’d normally mess with?? 🤠
Well, Yes! Haha, Interesting story.

I grew up in Pasadena and we had a lot of gang problems. Actually had the largest police vs gang firefight ever in the country there. I wasn't in the gangs but was, exposed to them on a regular basis. I had a group of buddies and we weren't really the type to be pushed around, so we had some beef's on occasions with some gangbangers either trying to push us or others around when we were there. We just didn't like the gang bangers. Had more than my share of guns in my face, and a few brawls and jumpings back in the day. I would tell the gang bangers I was with the DFWMP, and they would be like WTF then tell them it was the Don't F With Me Possie! I was just a little to big for my britches back then and got lucky to have not been killed looking back.

One of my other older buddies from school had become the leader of the gang we had been having all the issues with unbeknownst to me. In highschool he was a smaller black kid transferring into a predominantly white school in a place the KKK had just recently shut their headquarters down. So not a great spot for him. We had PE together. A bunch of guys were messing with him during flag football, ganging up on him, and knocking the crap out of him like we were wearing pads. I got pissed and confronted them and then ended up beating the crap out of the biggest guy in the group and warned them to leave him alone. He ended up going to the pen for a while for something after school, and got big and jacked. I never knew what it was but once while at the mall we ran into them and his gang wanted to jump us again. He recognized me, and told them all that me and my friends were off limits from then on. That anyone who touched us had to answer to him. Funny how what you put out into the universe can come back to you. Like I said we had fought these guys over and over, they jumped us if they could, and put guns to our heads a couple of times already, so this probably saved my life.

I have obviously calmed my happy self down a good bit since then. Funny how a wife and kids can change your outlook. That getting home to them is the priority, not any of the external noise. Don't get me wrong, I still have a protective streak, or want to knock heads for severe disrespect, and have to tell myself it ain't worth it, but that wasn't always my approach.

That being said these Vietnamese Gangs were on a different level. Drive by's with AK's and shoot outs regularly. Plus they were ran more like organized crime families than gangs. These were the gangs the other street gangs didn't mess with. They cleaned the area up a good while ago with a task force but it is still what the area is remembered for.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I like fried tripe! I don't mind it if it has a little consistency to it but some people boil it down to just a gooey thing and I am not too into that.

Well, Yes! Haha, Interesting story.

I grew up in Pasadena and we had a lot of gang problems. Actually had the largest police vs gang firefight ever in the country there. I wasn't in the gangs but was, exposed to them on a regular basis. I had a group of buddies and we weren't really the type to be pushed around, so we had some beef's on occasions with some gangbangers either trying to push us or others around when we were there. We just didn't like the gang bangers. Had more than my share of guns in my face, and a few brawls and jumpings back in the day. I would tell the gang bangers I was with the DFWMP, and they would be like WTF then tell them it was the Don't F With Me Possie! I was just a little to big for my britches back then and got lucky to have not been killed looking back.

One of my other older buddies from school had become the leader of the gang we had been having all the issues with unbeknownst to me. In highschool he was a smaller black kid transferring into a predominantly white school in a place the KKK had just recently shut their headquarters down. So not a great spot for him. We had PE together. A bunch of guys were messing with him during flag football, ganging up on him, and knocking the crap out of him like we were wearing pads. I got pissed and confronted them and then ended up beating the crap out of the biggest guy in the group and warned them to leave him alone. He ended up going to the pen for a while for something after school, and got big and jacked. I never knew what it was but once while at the mall we ran into them and his gang wanted to jump us again. He recognized me, and told them all that me and my friends were off limits from then on. That anyone who touched us had to answer to him. Funny how what you put out into the universe can come back to you. Like I said we had fought these guys over and over, they jumped us if they could, and put guns to our heads a couple of times already, so this probably saved my life.

I have obviously calmed my happy self down a good bit since then. Funny how a wife and kids can change your outlook. That getting home to them is the priority, not any of the external noise. Don't get me wrong, I still have a protective streak, or want to knock heads for severe disrespect, and have to tell myself it ain't worth it, but that wasn't always my approach.

That being said these Vietnamese Gangs were on a different level. Drive by's with AK's and shoot outs regularly. Plus they were ran more like organized crime families than gangs. These were the gangs the other street gangs didn't mess with. They cleaned the area up a good while ago with a task force but it is still what the area is remembered for.
That’s intense! Can’t say I’ve ever had a gun pulled on me don’t know how I would feel/act in that situation. Most of my younger wilder days was spent working ungodly hours 😂 Yes it is quite crazy how wife and kid/kids can change outlook and perspective on life in a good way!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That’s intense! Can’t say I’ve ever had a gun pulled on me don’t know how I would feel/act in that situation. Most of my younger wilder days was spent working ungodly hours 😂 Yes it is quite crazy how wife and kid/kids can change outlook and perspective on life in a good way!
Trust me you aren't missing out on anything. Although I will say there is a huge adrenaline release when you make it out of a situation like that. Unfortunately you can also get a bit more brazen the more often it happens thinking they will never pull the trigger. Being young dumb and full of... that is never a good combination. I remember by the end just cussing them, calling them bitches, and telling them they didn't have the guts to pull the trigger. Basically egging them, on even with the gun at my head. We were lucky we were right, and complete idiots for thinking they wouldn't sooner or later. Admittedly, and understandably I was in a bit of a self destruct pattern for a few years after my brother was killed in front of me on my 21st birthday at my birthday party. I had some rage issues, and to be honest didn't really care too much if I lived or not at the time. It's funny the two of us that were probably the most brazen, and would go into rages with these guys are the two who live more subdued and family related lives out of the group now.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all I have been through in my life, and am not embarrassed about my past, because it makes me truly appreciate how awesome I have it now.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
6/6/23 - Morning Weight 204.4 - WEEK3 DAY1 Tuesday – Chest – Back – Triceps – Biceps - Shoulders And Traps

Chest - Hammer Machine Chest Press (Flat) – MACHINE - Joint pain: Low pain
Note - Use intentions on negative to avoid shoulder pain.

setweightreps
4755 @ Fail
Back - Assisted Pullup (Normal Grip) - MACHINE ASSISTANCE @ 202.5 LBS BODYWEIGHT -
Joint pain: No pain

setassistancereps
48010 @ Fail
Triceps - Dip (Weighted) - LOADABLE @ 202.5 LBS BODYWEIGHT
Joint pain: No pain - Note - Used 35

set+ weightreps
332.57 @ Fail
Triceps - Cable Triceps Pushdown (Bar) – CABLE - Joint pain: No pain
setweightreps
35011 @ Fail
Biceps - EZ Bar Curl (Normal Grip) – BARBELL - Joint pain: No pain
setweightreps
4608 @ Fail
Biceps - Hammer Curl – DUMBBELL - Joint pain: No pain
setweightreps
32010 @ Fail
Shoulders And Traps - Dumbbell Lateral Raise (Super ROM) - DUMBBELL - Joint pain: No pain
setweightreps
51011 @ Fail
Shoulders And Traps - Dumbbell Lateral Raise (Super ROM) - DUMBBELL - Joint pain: No pain
Note - Weightless drop set to failure from previous set.

setweightreps
1114 @ Fail

I was very happy with this performance. Although the original plan this week was to go into the 1RIR zone since I am planning to deload next week I ratched up the volume, and or effort. I was going 0-1RIR on all sets, and went to failure on the last set of each exercise, the number listed was the last successful rep, not the number I failed on. Pumps were all amazing for every muscle group trained. I can definitely feel the intensity in all of my muscles now. They are just beat, not a lot of soreness but as I have mentioned I don't really get "sore" that often and for the most part for very short periods of time. I can just feel that they are fatigued and in need of repair.

Nutrition was pretty on point yesterday too.

=================================================================================

6/7/23 - Morning Weight 202.4 - Down 2 lbs after a 2900 calorie day. Pretty good stuff.

Tonight is lower body and it is gonna be a mofo! Going to 0-1RIR and failure on legs is gonna be brutal. Then my second sessions of the week for each body part I am going to do all MYOREP Match sets. It will make for longer sessions but will help to push me deeper into overreaching so I can make the most out of my deload while on a surplus next week. It is going to be odd getting up in the AM and finding some food to eat... but I want to maximize MPS during that week so that is what is happening.

I have to say although my weight is not going down a lot right now I am definitely seeing differences in musculature and leanness. Pretty happy with how things are going and happy I slowed things down a little on the weight loss because I don't think I would be recomping like I am if I had not.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
6/6/23 - Morning Weight 204.4 - WEEK3 DAY1 Tuesday – Chest – Back – Triceps – Biceps - Shoulders And Traps

setweightreps
4755 @ Fail
Back - Assisted Pullup (Normal Grip) - MACHINE ASSISTANCE @ 202.5 LBS BODYWEIGHT -

setassistancereps
48010 @ Fail

set+ weightreps
332.57 @ Fail
setweightreps
35011 @ Fail
setweightreps
4608 @ Fail
setweightreps
32010 @ Fail
setweightreps
51011 @ Fail

setweightreps
1114 @ Fail

I was very happy with this performance. Although the original plan this week was to go into the 1RIR zone since I am planning to deload next week I ratched up the volume, and or effort. I was going 0-1RIR on all sets, and went to failure on the last set of each exercise, the number listed was the last successful rep, not the number I failed on. Pumps were all amazing for every muscle group trained. I can definitely feel the intensity in all of my muscles now. They are just beat, not a lot of soreness but as I have mentioned I don't really get "sore" that often and for the most part for very short periods of time. I can just feel that they are fatigued and in need of repair.

View attachment 232904

=================================================================================

6/7/23 - Morning Weight 202.4 - Down 2 lbs after a 2900 calorie day. Pretty good stuff.

Tonight is lower body and it is gonna be a mofo! Going to 0-1RIR and failure on legs is gonna be brutal. Then my second sessions of the week for each body part I am going to do all MYOREP Match sets. It will make for longer sessions but will help to push me deeper into overreaching so I can make the most out of my deload while on a surplus next week. It is going to be odd getting up in the AM and finding some food to eat... but I want to maximize MPS during that week so that is what is happening.

I have to say although my weight is not going down a lot right now I am definitely seeing differences in musculature and leanness. Pretty happy with how things are going and happy I slowed things down a little on the weight loss because I don't think I would be recomping like I am if I had not.
That’s some good volume…. I bet your muscles are ready for a deload repair week.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

setweightreps
4755 @ Fail

setassistancereps
48010 @ Fail

set+ weightreps
332.57 @ Fail
setweightreps
35011 @ Fail
setweightreps
4608 @ Fail
setweightreps
32010 @ Fail
setweightreps
51011 @ Fail

setweightreps
1114 @ Fail

View attachment 232904

I feel this I had planned to cut calories and drop weight but the fatigue from the sessions has me doing maintenance to keep up with workload! I did drop this morning in part to very little carb’s yesterday.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That’s some good volume…. I bet your muscles are ready for a deload repair week.
Oh yeah, definitely feeling a bit run down this week from ll the additional volume from the program.
I feel this I had planned to cut calories and drop weight but the fatigue from the sessions has me doing maintenance to keep up with workload! I did drop this morning in part to very little carb’s yesterday.
Honestly for you in your situation you should probably remain in your deficit. No use in trying to cut on higher calories. I am actually trying to recomp a bit. You are still at a point where you should keep dieting until you reach a composition you are comfortable with. Then focus on maintaining or bulking. The benefits of a good hypertrophy program during a cut is that it will help keep you from losing muscle and in some cases will allow you to build a little but until you are closer to your composition goals I would not slow your progress on the fat loss at all. You are gonna be tired working hard in a deficit. That is unfortunately how it is. I think you will be happier getting leaner first then chasing your size goals.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Oh yeah, definitely feeling a bit run down this week from ll the additional volume from the program.

Honestly for you in your situation you should probably remain in your deficit. No use in trying to cut on higher calories. I am actually trying to recomp a bit. You are still at a point where you should keep dieting until you reach a composition you are comfortable with. Then focus on maintaining or bulking. The benefits of a good hypertrophy program during a cut is that it will help keep you from losing muscle and in some cases will allow you to build a little but until you are closer to your composition goals I would not slow your progress on the fat loss at all. You are gonna be tired working hard in a deficit. That is unfortunately how it is. I think you will be happier getting leaner first then chasing your size goals.
That’s what I’ve been debating on what to do. I think you are right continue with the deficit and weight loss until I reach my ideal look/number then re evaluate.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I'm not sure I 100% understand this program yet but I'm watching yours and AKBoom's closely until I have a better grasp of what you guys are doing. having watched your thread for a long time the weights you're lifting seem really light for you, the volume is hitting hard tho?

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'm not sure I 100% understand this program yet but I'm watching yours and AKBoom's closely until I have a better grasp of what you guys are doing. having watched your thread for a long time the weights you're lifting seem really light for you, the volume is hitting hard tho?
Yes absolutely, as light as these weights look they are ridiculously challenging. Basically take whatever you considered full ROM before and then go farther until you feel a stretch under the load if possible. Then initiating with the target muscle start moving the weight from a stop or very slow, and smooth transition from eccentric to concentric phase then lift with a controlled but explosive concentric contraction. A squeeze at the top, and then a slower negative. It is the total opposite of strength training, the idea is to make the muscle work harder to move from point A to point B, not move it more efficiently. With the added work in the stretch and one of the weakest ranges of the movement it becomes so much harder. You are not using the stretch reflex to assist getting out of the bottom. So it becomes hard a lot earlier. With my normal ROM I would imagine I could hit close to the same reps with 135 per side just pistoning them out in a normally acceptable ROM. It is good though because the lower weight goes a long way toward keeping my joints and connective tissue from falling to pieces. If you want to get an idea on your next Hypertrophy bench session where you use DB's for a press do a good back arch and raise your chest as high as possible as you approach the bottom then use your back muscles to pull you even deeper until you feel a stretch in your pecs, pause then flex your pecs to get the bar moving then continue the press all the way to the top pausing at lock out for long enough for the bar to settle before doing a slow negative. After 3-4 sets like that you will be shocked how little weight it took to get you where you needed to be. I would do after your main pressing movement or you won't have anywhere near as much in the tank for your next exercise and be frustrated you didn't get to move some weight, but for the hypertrophy stuff it will put you right where you want to be. As far as reps, just go to somewhere between 3-0 reps in reserve and you will be right where you need to be as long as the reps fall in between 5-30 reps.

Also pretty cool thing happened yesterday. Had a young kid watching me do my dips, and he was apparently impressed and asked me to show him how to DB Row correctly. Once he realized I was happy to help he started beaming and complimenting me on my work and how big I was. It was pretty nice. So I asked if he was looking for power, or size then showed him how to do them for both, and gave him cues for a couple of his sets in between my dips. Felt great to get sought out by someone just from watching me and being impressed.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Good stuff man I'm going to be watching you guys both closely to see how this unfolds!

It is good though because the lower weight goes a long way toward keeping my joints and connective tissue from falling to pieces.
this makes a ton of sense to me

With the added work in the stretch and one of the weakest ranges of the movement it becomes so much harder
I hadn't really realized you were applying this to all the lifts. doing something like the seated incline db curls though today, I'm easily able to visualize what you're talking about. I'd think even though its harder, and lighter, it creates a completely different type of brute strength.

After 3-4 sets like that you will be shocked how little weight it took to get you where you needed to be.
now that you say that, I recall back in the hardcore xfit days a buddy of mine would schedule the lamest warmups (which I only did with him, lol). 2.5lb plates for lateral raises or forward raises etc warming up on a bench day. but with TUT, pauses etc. it always cracked me up that those warm ups would

a. cause me to sweat
b. lead to a monster bench session!

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I have to re train my brain to slow down stop movement stretch and squeeze. Also another thing we are not listing is are warm up set’s before the working sets. These are light but still you focus on the mechanics and these will get you then it’s like dam now I have my working sets. Like for instance I think @MrKleen73 said it takes 90 minutes roughly and it’s for real.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Good stuff man I'm going to be watching you guys both closely to see how this unfolds!

this makes a ton of sense to me

I hadn't really realized you were applying this to all the lifts. doing something like the seated incline db curls though today, I'm easily able to visualize what you're talking about. I'd think even though its harder, and lighter, it creates a completely different type of brute strength.

now that you say that, I recall back in the hardcore xfit days a buddy of mine would schedule the lamest warmups (which I only did with him, lol). 2.5lb plates for lateral raises or forward raises etc warming up on a bench day. but with TUT, pauses etc. it always cracked me up that those warm ups would

a. cause me to sweat
b. lead to a monster bench session!
Yeah, it does, once that stretched portion get a lot stronger then the weights start going up more. Then when you go back to a strength focus with shorter ROM's in your powerband the strength will really show up after a few weeks, However with your training probably not as long because you always pepper some heavier work in.
I have to re train my brain to slow down stop movement stretch and squeeze. Also another thing we are not listing is are warm up set’s before the working sets. These are light but still you focus on the mechanics and these will get you then it’s like dam now I have my working sets. Like for instance I think @MrKleen73 said it takes 90 minutes roughly and it’s for real.
Definitely, the only reason I didn't mention the warm up is you have them written out before all of your workouts so I figured they were probably already know but they are: estimated 30 rep max x12, 20 rep max x 10, 10 rep max x4. Definitely a great warm up. Very effective.